• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Warp Star Adventure: Kirby's Stage Discussion *Meta Knight Talk*

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
...Oh.

I already knew about the extended hitbox times with those tentacles and those beads (...They are beads, right...?!) and more or less everything else... but I forgot how the stage had those close boundaries... and while Sonic does benefit from this sorta and has his own tricksies... thank you for reminding me how good of a Kirby stage this is.

Very well then gentlemen (and anybody otherwise), carry on.

...Rainbow Cruise is another "meh" stage, but now I would just love fighting a Kirby on Brinstar, sounds exhilarating!

Okay I'll be honest with you, Rainbow Cruise seems like a good Kirby stage... when he is stationary and tries to control the land... but I would believe Sonic has the air.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
...Oh.

I already knew about the extended hitbox times with those tentacles and those beads (...They are beads, right...?!) and more or less everything else... but I forgot how the stage had those close boundaries... and while Sonic does benefit from this sorta and has his own tricksies... thank you for reminding me how good of a Kirby stage this is.

Very well then gentlemen (and anybody otherwise), carry on.

...Rainbow Cruise is another "meh" stage, but now I would just love fighting a Kirby on Brinstar, sounds exhilarating!
I can't tell if any of this is sarcasm, but I don't think it is. Anyway, while you can't really consider this part of the stage, I for one get lucky on brinstar and stuff (manage to spike people into acid a bunch of times, dthrow->they try to attack me->dash->reverse hammer KO rapeage, etc.) the same way I get unlucky on battlefield (missing the ledge, trying to use my upb to retreat to the ledge but hitting my opponent's shield and causing them to edgehog me, etc.).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Actually, I found another glitch on Brinstar the other day, but haven't/won't talk about it much since I haven't been able to do any testing for it yet to figure out how I did it and if it's actually useful (it's either REALLY good, or REALLY bad, depending on how the FC downward slash's hitbox works.).

Personally, I'd bring you to Norfair if you banned PS1.

As for using Dthrow... how hard is it to tech that first hit? I mean, wouldn't that be a VERY unsafe option against good players?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Really helpful info Kinzer, I mean really helpful since there is a lot of Kirby mains that doesn't have experience Brawling Sonic. I'll give this topic one more day just encase someone share some more info for us.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Isn't it time for you to update your thread Viper. ;3 ♥

♣ Next talk let's talk Diddy Kong since I'm having stage confusion when I Brawl him. ♥

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Pick a stage that:
-isn't flat
-Moves or transforms
-possibly has platforms

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
One vote for Olimar, I'll decide on the next talk around 5 pm est.

Edtied: Computer problems, I will update on the Sonic Talk later, now we talk Olimar.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
When fighting Olimar, you might want to stage strike Smashville. The platform may help him if your trying to gimp him away. Stage's with activity like Pokemon Stadium is a great stage to take Olmair since his Pikmin can somtimes get scatered when the stage changes, and the stage change can mess up his grabs. Or stages with water to kill his Pikmin when you knock them down like Deilfno, or Jungle Japes. Just don't take him to a stage that he doesn't have to worry about recovery or gimping.

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
Like Viper said Japes is great for Oli's, along with Delfino, especially for sharking, they cant STAND that. Also Brinstar and Norfair are good against them, due to their crap recovery meaning they will be taking many dips into the lava during the match.

But as a rule of thumb, STAY IN THE AIR as much as possible, u'll avoid many grabs that way. If the Olimar can grab u alot, ur in for a TOUGH fight. Aerial camp liek crazy

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Just one thing to beware about on JJ:

He can camp the side platforms hard, and his Uair goes through the floor.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I just played an Olimar (he won because it's wifi...and it's Olimar on wifi...lol) and he banned Japes. I took him to Brinstar (and failed badly because I was trying to play "quietly" because my mom was watching a movie nearby and complained about controller noise)

So...Delfino's a good stage to take him to? Maybe...he can spike you, and get saved from gimps there, during transitions and parts with no bottom blastzone...

Is he awful on Rainbow Cruise? I almost never pick that stage because I never really thought it was that good. Usually the only character I'll CP RC on is Diddy Kong. And still lose.

God I hate Diddy Kong.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'm not really sure TBH.
I've heard he's bad on RC, but also that he's worse on JJ.

That being said, the ship is the only part of the stage to my knowledge that he can tether to, so that will hurt him.

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
Not totally sure, but i think he can tether to the swinging pendulum-like platform at the top of the stage. He can tether to any edge that can be grabbed, rite? I think u can grab that edge. Again, not totally sure, i almost never go to RC

Triple R

Smash Lord
Not totally sure, but i think he can tether to the swinging pendulum-like platform at the top of the stage. He can tether to any edge that can be grabbed, rite? I think u can grab that edge. Again, not totally sure, i almost never go to RC
I think fromundaman is right. The ship is the only part where he can tether. I don't recall being able to grab and ledges by the pendulum.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ I guess I do have stage problems with Olmair as well as Diddy Kong. I always pick Smashville on Olmair just to be said it's not a good stage to pick when you have Kirby. XD ♥

TrIkZ

Smash Cadet
Frigate orpheon maybe because you can't grab the right side of the ledges on the right side of the first part and just wall of pain him far enough gimp his recovery.
and pirate ship because in the water all his pikmin die except his blue. I always play those two maps.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I've actually seen Olimars that LIKE Frigate, and CPed it on me. I think it has something to do with the color of Pikmin you can pull on that stage.

*shrug*

Snail

Smash Lord
Like Viper said Japes is great for Oli's, along with Delfino, especially for sharking, they cant STAND that. Also Brinstar and Norfair are good against them, due to their crap recovery meaning they will be taking many dips into the lava during the match.

But as a rule of thumb, STAY IN THE AIR as much as possible, u'll avoid many grabs that way. If the Olimar can grab u alot, ur in for a TOUGH fight. Aerial camp liek crazy
CPing Norfair against an Olimar is stupid. The platforms are only going to help his recovery more than the lava will hurt it...

Rainbow Cruise is pretty bad for most Olimars, but some of us have extensive knowledge of that stage and Fino insists that it really isn't too bad if you get used to it. JJ isn't a good Olimar stage, but some Olimars are amazing at controlling the middle platform which might cause trouble for you.

Delfino isn't bad. You can shark all you like, we're just going to spam pikmin throw and wait for the transformation, that's all. Walk-off edges are a godsend for Olimar too and most of the time it's just an all right stage.

Frigate is probably the safest bet. JJ and RC can work very well, but if the Olimar has experience with those stages they might not help you very much.

(Just passing through the Kirby boards, saw Olimar talk in the thread title. Sorry if I'm intruding <.<)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Snail, glad to have your input. Don't feel like your intruding.

That being said, Paranormalsin was saying they get amazing Pikmins on Delfino, so I'd ban that personally. I mean, I've seen him CP it against good MKs and win.

I'd probably stick to RC or Japes myself, though an Oli who has extensive stage knowledge will be a problem regardless where you take him.

Snail

Smash Lord
Snail, glad to have your input. Don't feel like your intruding.

That being said, Paranormalsin was saying they get amazing Pikmins on Delfino, so I'd ban that personally. I mean, I've seen him CP it against good MKs and win.

I'd probably stick to RC or Japes myself, though an Oli who has extensive stage knowledge will be a problem regardless where you take him.
Aw thanks (:

Yeah, Olimars who really know what they're doing on JJ or RC are a bit of a pain, in which case it's better to go for Frigate because there isn't really a way to work around the missing edge. Then again, there's no way to know whether the Olimar you're up against knows how to fight on RC or JJ.

It's a bit of a tough decision. Choosing RC or JJ might absolutely ruin your opponent if he hasn't practiced there, but it might also turn out not to help much at all while Frigate is a safe bet because even the best Olimars can't latch without an edge, but the stage in general doesn't gimp Olimar as much as RC and JJ potentially could...

I would personally go for Rainbow Cruise if your opponent's name doesn't happen to be Fino, but be aware that it might not work.

A few videos of skilled Olimars playing on possible CP stages:

- Fino on RC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY61c9-IdBA
- RichBrown on Frigate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KZyWIKprAY&feature=channel

Couldn't find one of Jungle Japes, but... this thread might help you guys as well.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=208193

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Definitely ban Luigi's Mansion against Olimar, or Corneria if it's legal.

Fino taught me that. :[

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Aw thanks (:

Yeah, Olimars who really know what they're doing on JJ or RC are a bit of a pain, in which case it's better to go for Frigate because there isn't really a way to work around the missing edge. Then again, there's no way to know whether the Olimar you're up against knows how to fight on RC or JJ.

It's a bit of a tough decision. Choosing RC or JJ might absolutely ruin your opponent if he hasn't practiced there, but it might also turn out not to help much at all while Frigate is a safe bet because even the best Olimars can't latch without an edge, but the stage in general doesn't gimp Olimar as much as RC and JJ potentially could...

I would personally go for Rainbow Cruise if your opponent's name doesn't happen to be Fino, but be aware that it might not work.

A few videos of skilled Olimars playing on possible CP stages:

- Fino on RC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY61c9-IdBA
- RichBrown on Frigate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KZyWIKprAY&feature=channel

Couldn't find one of Jungle Japes, but... this thread might help you guys as well.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=208193

Well, I know from experience that Hilt knows how to play on JJ XD

Thanks for all that though!

Also, I agree with asdioh: BAN LM IF IT'S LEGAL!
That **** is Oli's house!

EDIT:

Brinstar (BrS)- (Page 6- Page 7)
The usefulness of Brinstar to oli seems to depend upon the matchup. The stage is very thin and has uneven terrain. Both of these disagree with the camp mentality of olimar, since a smaller stage means less room to camp, and uneven terrain can interfere with moves like pikmin toss and fsmash. While grabs are good on rough terrain, the lack of space on this stage makes your ability to pivot grab quite limited. The lava can help recover in dire situations, but don't solely rely on that, as it can rise and sink pretty fast. Brinstar doesn't have a solid ground, so if you are on the edge, keep in mind that you can pressure the opponent with uairs or just jump onto the stage from below. The stage has a high ceiling, but horizontal kills are easier. The pillars that hold the platforms up and the thing that connects the stage should be watched out for, because if they are hit, they prolong the hitbox of the move that hit it. This is just a note for something to watch out for. Also, the connector on the bottom platform creates a little bump in the ground, so be careful that a pikmin doesn't get stuck while trying to run back to oli.
Due to the characteristics of this stage, it is a poor choice against aerial based characters (mk, wario, etc) as they compliment these characters quite well. However, it seems to be effective against other camp orientated characters.
Taken from that thread. Brinstar seems like it could be a good stage based on this. Thoughts?

RE-EDIT:
Pictochat seems pretty good too.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'll keep this talk up till Monday. Well, to see if more stages work on either Kirby's favor or Olmair's favor.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Before I update the character talk, starting today, I'll update the stage guide with more in depth details of what advantages that Kirby has with Pros and Cons, and better pictures that show Kirby and the stage by me, and more details on what stages to pick vs a character on the second post. Alright, voting time, which character should we start next?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Mr. Game & Watch was the first character we started on. Come on, no one else is voting? I will decide later on today what character we should start on.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
King Dedede it is... I'm too lazy to update the first post now, I'll do it later, but now, let's talk King Dedede.

DarKirby

Smash Rookie
uhhhh k. DDD is like a fat Kirby. Try not to get grabbed, cuz along with even just one pummel, his back-throw does more damage than all ur smashes. His Waddle army is annoying, watch out for them Gordos.
Some ppl say DDD's b-air is better than Kirby's but idk i like Kirby's versatility with it more...he can travel with it more since he has more aerial mobility.
DDD outranges Kirby oftentimes, especially with his f-tilt and d-tilt. Watch for his u-tilt, cuz it can kill pretty early, sorta like Snake's u-tilt (but not as broken).
DDD's inhale is stronger and has more priority than Kirby's, so u might wanna get that from him to facilitate suicides or Starshot KOs or whatever it is u do. Also good onstage for breaking his momentum.

...dunno what else

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
This is a stage talk not a match up guide. XD

I'll start with an easy starter, Battlefield with King Dedede, that's one of his worst stages to start on because his air game is very limited here because of the size of him.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
I like YI personally, but that's moreso for those who get CG'd or can't escape the dthrow -> ftilt. Just so happens that Kirby can escape both. FD isn't actually kinda good IMO as well. He can't force you on platforms and try for utilt on FD. and it gives you plenty of breathing room to stay out of his grab box which is always important so he doesn't get a free 16-18%.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I know I suggest this vs pretty much everyone, but I like PS1 against him.

Also, JJ does horrible things to him IMO so long as you don't get hit with Bairs at the edge.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yoshi's Island seems like a pretty bad stage against D3 to me. I have bad experiences against D3s there, camping under the platform...

Battlefield or Final Destination for me, probably.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I know I suggest this vs pretty much everyone, but I like PS1 against him.

Also, JJ does horrible things to him IMO so long as you don't get hit with Bairs at the edge.
Pokemon Stadium 2 is a much better stage, but Kirby can absue Pokemon Stadium more than King Dedede though. Also, I learn not to pick Brinstar on him as well, King Dedede doesn't have a lot of good stages against Kirby.

Ladybug

Smash Lord
Either PS works really well. I like one better because you have that one with the windmill and he can really be punished around that thing. He can't fit under it real easily like Kirby and you can bounce him all around there and rack up all kinds of percentage before finishing it off. Also Pictochat isn't too bad because he's so big he likes to hit everything. The only problem is it's so tall.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Pokemon Stadium 2 is a much better stage, but Kirby can absue Pokemon Stadium more than King Dedede though. Also, I learn not to pick Brinstar on him as well, King Dedede doesn't have a lot of good stages against Kirby.
That's probably good too, though I personally don't know PS2 too well myself. I'll try to play it a bit more in friendlies this weekend.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Rainbow Cruise maybe? Kirby and Dedede do good on the same stages in general, but D3 is better on flat stages for obvious reasons (he can't CG Kirby, but he moves faster on the ground than in the air), and Kirby is better on stages that force you to move around in the air, which lets him take advantage of his better aerial mobility.

Top Bottom