• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Warp Star Adventure: Kirby's Stage Discussion *Meta Knight Talk*

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
★ Kirby's Warp Star Adventure ★

Since I haven't been busy with updates, I'll decide to re-discuss the Kirby stage guide on characters again, I'll start from the beginning.

★★★★★ Perfect Stage for Kirby
★★★★ Good Stage for Kirby
★★★ Balance Stage for Kirby
★★ Bad Stage for Kirby
★ Nightmare Stage for Kirby
☆ Half of a Rating

Battlefield

Currently ★★★

Change: None

This is an average for Kirby, no real advantage or disadvantage on this stage, you can shark characters under the platforms, and is a good starter to start out on some characters like King Dedede or Ganondorf, and a bad starter with characters like Marth or Toon Link.

Pros: Basic starter, Kirby's small enough to use his short hops and shark under the platforms nearly all the time. Also this stage is great to use his Up Throw to kill since the top platform is high enough. Most charcters will die from Kirby's Up Throw by at least 140% or so.

Cons: Kirby's air moves are very limited on this stage, there are some characters that can perform on this stage much better than Kirby can. This stage isn't the best starter for Kirby, and not a good counter pick for most characters.

Brinstar

Currently ★★★★

Change: ★★★★☆

This is a good stage for Kirby, he can shark under the stage and the platforms, and use the breakable areas at his advantage, most of the characters he can handle here but a few select characters that can fully use this stage.

Pros: Kirby can abuse by sharking under the stage, using his strings combo's to connect with the breakable areas, etc. Great place to Brawl some of Kirby's bad match up like Ice Climbers, because this stage messes with their chain grab most of the time, (at the right area).

Cons: Some characters can abuse this stage more better like Snake, Fox, Mr. Game & Watch, Peach, Jigglypuff, etc. Nothing on this stage is too bad for Kirby, just you have to watch who you take here.

Castle Siege

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Currently ★★★

This stage changes in the same order all the time, you should be aware that the different changes means you have to Brawl differently.

Pros: The top of the castle of the stage you can able to take advantage of it more than most characters, and the basement you can take advantage on most characters of your fighting here as well since it only tilts a little.

Cons: Not a real advantage stage, but an average stage for Kirby to pick, plus the thrown room is Kirby's worst area thanks to him not able to abuse it really well. Other than that, not many characters can abuse this stage, and Kirby's not one of those characters that can.

Delfino Plaza

Currently ★★★★★

This stage is one of the best stage for Kirby to go, (well, there a hand full of characters that do well here). You can use many ways to abuse this stage and think of other ways to mess with your opponents.

Pros: You can shark pass the stage, make use of Stone on some parts of the stage, and able to gimp characters with two jumps really well here.

Cons: Watch out who you take here, characters like Meta Knight, Ness, Ganondorf, and Ike can do really well here, all the characters listed except for Meta Knight are excellent spikers and do well on this stage. Other than that, this stage have just about no disadvantage for Kirby.

Distant Planet

Currently ★★★★

Good stage for Kirby to mess with more than half the Brawl rouster. This stage won't give you a big advantage, but it's still good to try a stage that's different than others.

Pros: You can able to gimp, and shark here.

Cons: There's not enough parts of the stage to abuse. And characters with good recovery does good here which will be annoying to deal with if you bring them here.

Frigate Orpheon

Currently ★★★
Change: ★★★★

Good counter pick on some characters that have bad recovery on the sides, when the stage flips it's not too much of an advantage, but over all, Kirby does good here and can mess with some of his bad match up's.

Pros: Gimping is more effective on characters with very limited recovery, and when flipping, Kirby won't be effected when this stage flips thanks to his large amount of jumps.

Cons: Some characters can abuse this stage better like R.O.B. or King Dedede. Also, there's not many things to abuse this stage with Kirby.
Final Destination

Currently ★★★
Change: ★★★☆

The most picked stage of all stages, and almost every character does advantage here, and sadly, Kirby does advantage here to.

Pros: Kirby don't have to worry about the lip of the stage that messes with some characters recovery.

Cons: Some characters can abuse this stage more, mostly spammers with great projectiles that can be a pain to deal with once you bring them here.
Green Greens

Currently ★★★

This stage is almost always ban so you won't see much action here, but you can still practice on this stage to surprise some of the people you fight.

Pros: You can able to kill some characters fast on this stage, plus gimping is very effective towards some characters as well.

Cons: Some characters do very well here like heavy weight characters since it's hard to kill them here, and most heavy characters have strong knock back as well. Also the small zones can lead to your death fast so beware.
Halberd

The ship that Kirby once sunk has finally came back. Kirby has control over this ship over most characters, and watching the view of this stage is relaxing as well.

Pros: You can shark most of the time on this stage, plus the platforms lead to traps on some characters if Kirby's under it, that includes the fight on the ship.

Cons: Some characters do very like characters with great spacing, (Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Meta Knight etc), over all, this stage doesn't have much of a con for Kirby, just have to watch who you take here.
Currently ★★★☆

Jungle Japes

Currently ★★★★☆
Change: ★★★★★

The return stage with a large advantage that most of the cast do not have. Use the water at your advantage and conquer your mightiest foes here.

Pros: You can Kirbycide any characters to the water on the left side of the stage, they will either get sweepet away by the water current, or punished them for jumping out the water and trying to come back. Also the size of this stage can make star KO's very hard. The air space is perfect for Kirby to use his combos.

Cons: Do not take Falco and Jigglypuff here, since both of those characters do very well here. Other than that, there's no cons here.
Luigi's Mansion

Currently ★★★★
Change: None​

Luigi's scary mansion once again returns. Take any advantage you see and make it your own, even when it means to keep the house in shape to live longer.

Pros: Kirby's small body can able to combo many characters in this stage. Some characters do really bad her so take this stage for a test ride sometimes.

Cons: Most of the time, match's will take a long time, especially with campy or defensive characters. Some characters that can use the pillars has their own hit box better than Kirby's will also be a problem.
Lylat Cruise

Currently ★★★★

Fox's Cruiser after the Great Fox was destroyed in Star Fox Assault. Take head of this ship with some unique Stone Kirby action, or U-Air if you want.

Pros: This stage tilts and works for Kirby's Stone tactics. Also the tilting can mess up some characters recovery, since Kirby has great recovery, he doesn't have to worry about it unless he loses all his jumps.

Cons: Not really advantages on most characters, but a medium size of the character rouster. Other than that, not really any cons here.

16th Stage: Norfair

Currently ★★★☆

17th Stage: Onett [BANNED]

Currently ★★★

18th Stage: Pictochat

Currently ★★★★

19th Stage: Pirate Ship

Currently ★★★☆
Change: ★★★

20th Stage: Pokémon Stadium

Currently ★★★★★

21st Stage: Pokémon Stadium 2

Currently ★★★★★
Change: ★★★☆

22nd Stage: Port Town Aero Dive

Currently ★★★☆

23rd Stage: Rainbow Cruise

Currently ★★★★★

24th Stage: Skyworld [BANNED]

Currently ★★★★★

25th Stage: Smashville

Currently ★★★

26th Stage: Yoshi's Island

Currently ★★★☆

27th Stage: Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Currently ★★
Change: ★★☆

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Character Talk

Character Talk #1 Pikmin & Olimar

Counter Pick Against

Port Town Aero Dive ★★★★★
There are no ledges for him to recover from when this stage is travels. Try to gimp him as best as you can since he will not like falling off this stage or on the road when your fighting ground travels.

Rainbow Cruise ★★★★☆
You can strongly abuse this stage, plus gimping him is the key if you want to win here.

Pokemon Stadium ★★★★
When the stage changes to Water and Rock, the battle is mostly yours. The two transformations can also mess with his grabs and ground game. Grass, Fire, and Normal field is anyone's game.

Stage Strike

Final Destination ★☆
Pikmin throwing to the max, Pivot grabs if you get too close, and you can do little about it, plus he doesn't have to worry about the lip of this stage, you don't want to go here.

Smashville ★★☆
The moving platform helps him more than you, this stage will almost feel like Final Destination.

Banned

Luigi's Mansion★☆
Olimar stole Luigi's Mansion and made it his own, and owning everyone in his path, plus the pillars on his elemental Pikmin like the yellow one or the red one can be a huge pain to deal with here. Plus your forced to break the pillars in Luigi's Mansion if you want to end the battle quickly.

Changes may come in due time

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Again: stage discussion for Kirby is HUGELY character-dependent.

That said, Battlefield is good against most characters. Not my ideal choice, since I tend to epic fail on that stage. For example, if someone is under a platform, I as Kirby have a really hard time approaching them. You can't approach from above, because the platform makes you extremely vulnerable. That leaves Final Cutter (which can be punished), or traditional run up and dash attack/grab/spotdodge approach. Or rolling behind, which is usually a bad idea. Having your opponent standing under a platform limits Kirby's approach options severely, giving your opponent a large advantage. That's what I don't like about Battlefield: the platforms and stage are small and cramped.

The platforms also give him an advantage because most characters are weak from below, and Kirby is good at attacking up through platforms with Upair or Backair. The platforms also give you the option of landing on the ground or platform with Final Cutter, so you can mix it up. As for the stage itself... the edges aren't bad for Kirby, though I've seen some characters get gimped by the edge, and I've heard that the edges of Battlefield are kinda buggy. It's also a pretty good stage for Starshot gimps underneath.

I give it ***

More or less depending on opponent's character.
Example: against Ice Climbers, it's *****
Against Snake, Meta Knight, or Marth, **

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I love Battlefield. :)

....three stars sounds good, though.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
BF is a wonderful stage. Those pillars make for great mindgames. But yes character dependent blah blah etc. :D
There aren't any pillars on Battlefield.

Anyone that doesn't challenge Kirby in terms of range and is more dependent on camping/being a world class *** hole doesn't do to sexy on BF, but people like MK on the other hand get to lol@your *******. Then again they lol at you for like all the neutrals dont they?

8BitRevolver

Smash Journeyman
yea just depends what character you are facing.

kirby has no bad stages.
unless its green greens O_O
yea bf can be good for kirby but it all depends on who hes playing cause i dont suggest taking marth there lol. *** sounds good

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Personally, I kind of like this stage. I agree with 3 stars, and that it depends on what character you face.

A tip for when your opponent is under the platform:
Land on the edge of the platform above them and immediately shield. Predictably, they shall attack your shield, which will make you slide off, which, if you do nothing, will slam you into the ground and get you hurt very badly. However, if you buffer an aerial, like say Bair, then it will come out during the lag they got from hitting your shield.

If they're above you, I like falling Uairs.

It's also really easy to Bair stagespike here.

Personally, I find I do better here against MK than most other neutrals (except PS1 when that's a neutral), but maybe that's just me.

Dthrow and Utilt are awesome here, as at certain percents it forces them to land on the platforms, and if they don't tech there is no way for them to escape a follow up.

Finally, how is this stage good vs ICs?

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
There aren't any pillars on Battlefield.

Anyone that doesn't challenge Kirby in terms of range and is more dependent on camping/being a world class *** hole doesn't do to sexy on BF, but people like MK on the other hand get to lol@your *******. Then again they lol at you for like all the neutrals dont they?
^^This = Thread.

Like every one has already stated, Kirby has no bad stages, just bad match ups. He does, however, have stages that make his bad match ups even worse.

Case in Point, Battle Field. G&W, MK, DeDeDe and Marth **** the Hell out of Kirby there. The theory that Kirby battles well against campy characters isn't all that great due to Air approach being F***** thanks to the plats.

It's a good stage, but Match up dependent. I would give it 2 or 3 stars IMO, but more going towards 2 since it could be a counter pick that the opponent could have the advantage over you..

Lovely

Smash Lord
Kirby does better on characters that need a flat area, and bad for characters that like to move a lot on Battlefield. Three Star's is right. ♥

Percon

Smash Lord
I think most stages, neutrals especially, are dependent of the opponent and the player. I think neutrals are a huge preference thing. I think Yoshi's is awesome for Kirby but I know not everyone shares my opinion.

That said, I like BF. It's tied with Lylat as my second-favourite neutral.

The small platforms are generally good for Kirby when he's chasing people - dthrow is very useful here. For what it's worth, you can use uthrow on the top platform to kill, too.

I think this is good VS Falco, ICs and DDD. Not so good against Marth or Snake.

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
I think most stages, neutrals especially, are dependent of the opponent and the player. I think neutrals are a huge preference thing. I think Yoshi's is awesome for Kirby but I know not everyone shares my opinion.

That said, I like BF. It's tied with Lylat as my second-favourite neutral.

The small platforms are generally good for Kirby when he's chasing people - dthrow is very useful here. For what it's worth, you can use uthrow on the top platform to kill, too.

I think this is good VS Falco, ICs and DDD. Not so good against Marth or Snake.
D-throw chasing is very good in BF, but if you get G&W or Marth, it's pretty bad.

So since it's pretty redundant that Kirby's neutrals are characters dependent. So, I guess you should discuss which are his bad match ups and how you could improve them?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Viper, add in a section for characters to cp/ban each stage against
A good idea, but I'll just start on what stages are good for Kirby to fight on over all first, then we talk about what stage you should counter pick or ban when your fighting what character. I tend to be done before middle of March, because talking about Counter Pick Stages will take a lot of reserch, and I'll do just that before I start this discussion.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
^^This = Thread.

Like every one has already stated, Kirby has no bad stages, just bad match ups. He does, however, have stages that make his bad match ups even worse.

Case in Point, Battle Field. G&W, MK, DeDeDe and Marth **** the Hell out of Kirby there. The theory that Kirby battles well against campy characters isn't all that great due to Air approach being F***** thanks to the plats.

It's a good stage, but Match up dependent. I would give it 2 or 3 stars IMO, but more going towards 2 since it could be a counter pick that the opponent could have the advantage over you..
I'm a lil too biased about it being good vs campers because I use to use Ike, lol.

Either way it's not too sexy, doesn't give you much and doesn't take much although I feel awkward with plats.

YinYang.ERROR

Smash Journeyman
I think Battlefield is in the range of 3 - 4 stars. I have never had a match were I felt as if Battlefield had been a bad stage pick.

platiepoos

Smash Apprentice
I absolutely HATE BF against Marth. His rising fairs can be ffed immediately for instant cover from retaliation. On the other hand, BF is great for Stage Spikes, FoP, (IMO) and falling aerial hammers from the low platforms. It seriously screws with my stone and FC though, and is just too cramped for my liking. I agree with ***, but that was expected since it was a neutral. Can we do some Counterpick stages next?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Today I'm changing the stage since it's pass three days, I'm going in alphabetical order just to let you guys know. All right, next stage:

2nd Stage: Brinstar

Currently ☆☆☆☆

lol, this is a counter pick, how did platiepoos know. XD

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Some Kirby mains are infatuated with this stage, I'm not really a big fan of it myself. Don't know why, it's just a bleh stage. You can do some gimmicky things, so that's cool I guess?

4-5 I guess.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Low ceiling and close sides make this stage pretty awesome for Kirby since he can kill so much faster. It's not always safe, like vs Fox who's main advantage in the matchup is his redonkulous U smash, which this stage buffs way the **** up.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
A1Lion, that's just a love video.

Me and Brinstar, we're still cool. Not as "infatuated" anymore though, I've actually lost to MKs there by now (though it was on wifi so it doesn't count, right?)

Anyway, it's good because of early KOs off both the side and top. It's good because it's easier for Kirby to avoid the rising acid with his many jumps. It's good because some characters can have a tough time recover. It's good because Kirby easily refreshes his moves on the objects with hitboxes. It's good because separating the stage by Dairing the middle is surprisingly effective, people tend to gimp themselves through there.

One bad thing is that it sometimes ruin Dair gimps because of the acid being in the way. However, that means you can combo instead of gimp, for a lot of damage, plus the acid helps you a lot too, in case you get spiked or something.

I would not recommend this stage against: Fox, G&W, Snake. Possibly some others, but if you know the stage better than they do you definitely have the advantage. I would take Meta Knights here. People say that's a bad idea because he can ko you with Dsmash and Shuttle Loop easily, but I disagree. Early kills on him, and him getting extra damage if he hits the acid, is totally worth it.

edit: oh and you can approach from below, and it glitches to Kirby's advantage >____>

Seriously, I approach from below all the time, both under the stage, and under platforms. That makes it amazing for Kirby. Just don't get spiked through the stage by Ness, or others with spikes :[

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Wow, I never seen the Kirby glitch on Brinstar before, I'll have to look at that, maybe I should give it four and a half star.... if I can find a half of a star. =P

TheFast

Smash Lord
I dont like stages that do damage. RC is banned at our tourneys. So I CP Pokemon Stadium One, and against certain people with good killing power I will pick Weegee's Mansion of the tech and crazy combos.

Brinstar is the one stage that damages that I think is fair in all honesty. Because the Lava is slow coming up but goes down quick. Rarely comes above the 1st 2 plateforms. You can be saved by spikes but will take alot of damage from the lava. With Brawls Floatyness you can get out of it pretty easy.

Brinstar for Kirby. Its a good Kirby stage.

Pros:

1:Makes him harder to gimp.
2:Good low Kill locations.
3:Relativly low so hard ceiling kills which kirby rarely need but other character rely on.
4:Kirby's Mulitple Jumps make dodging lava easy
5:Kirby can break the level pretty easy, therefor altering it how he sees fit.
6:Kirby Glitch on the right platform.

Cons:

1:None your using Kirby. Kirby is all about the Pros.

TheFast

Smash Lord
WELLLL the no cons thing was a joke. Snake pick RC no doubt. Fox pick Pokemon Stadium or Weegee's Mansion. Falco I would go RC. Ganon would be RC (Lava+side-b=nono). Who else kills up really well?

Top Bottom