• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Warp Star Adventure: Kirby's Stage Discussion *Meta Knight Talk*

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Rainbow Cruise won't give you much of an advantage thanks to King Dedede's strong air game. I'll say strike Smashville as well because he's good at that stage sort of speak. ♥

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
They both have a strong air game. The point I was trying to make was that Kirby can space a lot better since he has better horizontal air movement, and Dedede would spend a lot more time catching up with the stage.

DarKirby

Smash Rookie
OMG i didnt realize this was the Stage discussion i thot it was the MU guide...>_< im ********.

Anywayz yea i agree so far, SV's lack of length means DDD will dominate the small space, and prolly get some u-tilt off that platform. Japes is good, just make sure ur at the top of ur air game, cuz his can beat u hard at that level too.
How bout Frigate? And maybe Halberd/Delfino is good for sharking and whatnot, since Kirby is faster in the air? O_o

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I would say everywhere, Kirby's air game is stronger than his above as well, the rest his air game is stronger, and yes, King Dedede doesn't do too well on Frigate as well, (tested it). We need more bad stages to not take him on.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
I would say everywhere, Kirby's air game is stronger than his above as well, the rest his air game is stronger, and yes, King Dedede doesn't do too well on Frigate as well, (tested it). We need more bad stages to not take him on.
Are you joking? Kirby can't go through disjointed hitboxes that are longer than his reach. Not to mention Kirby's uair and dair have startup whereas D3's do not. His bair is quicker and has a longer range than ours (which is why D3 has a WoP and Kirby has a FoP). The only reason we beat him while we're in front of him is due to the startup on fair but you have to be in his face or he can still get you. As far as anti air tactics, D3 is actually pretty good, his utilt collides with dair and gives d3 some breathing room. I don't see why Frigate would be a good option, Kirby needs space to fight against D3 and Frigate doesn't offer much. FD is still a solid pick IMO since he can't get you with the CG or dthrow -> ftilt. This means he's gonna be camping and forcing you to approach so as long as you're on your spacing game there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I wouldn't say Kirby's U-Air have start up lag, but does have ending lag, but the rest of your saying is correct. I guess I jumped in conclusion because I don't see too many Dedede's attack from above. XD

DarKirby

Smash Rookie
Ive never seen a DDD approach from above either, i think that would be dumb of him. Kirby's overhead options are faster/beter than DDD's below-attacking options, and he's fat so he can be juggled easy. But thats all Match-up stuffz, so w/e.

Ye spacing is good

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
I wouldn't say Kirby's U-Air have start up lag, but does have ending lag, but the rest of your saying is correct. I guess I jumped in conclusion because I don't see too many Dedede's attack from above. XD
Ive never seen a DDD approach from above either, i think that would be dumb of him. Kirby's overhead options are faster/beter than DDD's below-attacking options, and he's fat so he can be juggled easy. But thats all Match-up stuffz, so w/e.

Ye spacing is good
U guys must not play any good D3s, dair is very practical and keeps Kirby at bay. I don't know the exact frames but I think D3's dair is faster than our uair but it always has better priority and range.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Only good King Dedede players I Brawled was Vayseth and Lain, I guess I haven't notice them using attacks from above. =/

But other than that, I know not to pick Smashville and Brinstar vs King Dedede, anymore bad stages?

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Umm... how is Halberd, that's a good stage for Dedede though Kirby does good here to? You would want to pick Norfair for Dedede since that's one of his worst stages, I would say Pirate Ship but Kirby has no spikes that can dunk fast. >.< ♥

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
The best we have against Kirby is Rainbow Cruise or Brinstar like Viper said. Smashville is our best neutral for this matchup but is still in favor of Kirby. Not much else I can say from my perspective, you all pretty much covered it, and the matchup has been 60:40 Kirby for a while.
However we do have a secret for those of you who counterpick Norfair against us.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Can you share us this secret? I would like to know. =P

I'll give this till Tuesday then another character.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Can you share us this secret? I would like to know. =P

I'll give this till Tuesday then another character.
ledgecamped bairs abusing the invincibility frames. Also fighting on the top platform and getting utilt "gimps". If you don't have a projectile norfair is not really advantageous. For example ROB who normally has a pretty bad match against D3 can actually even the odds on norfair thanks to hit and run tactics and a mean projectile game.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
The best we have against Kirby is Rainbow Cruise or Brinstar like Viper said. Smashville is our best neutral for this matchup but is still in favor of Kirby. Not much else I can say from my perspective, you all pretty much covered it, and the matchup has been 60:40 Kirby for a while.
However we do have a secret for those of you who counterpick Norfair against us.
I wish I knew the info about RC before the last tourney I went to... I brought my DDD-maining crewmate to RC thinking I'll have an advantage sine Kirby's supposedly good there (and to experiment, I've never really CP'd that stage before), and I got 2stocked (i think, either that or 1stocked with close to 0%).

And I personally think the MU is in DDD's favor, but close to even. I've blayed against a DDD mainer for so long, so many times, seriously... I beat him an equal amount of time he beats me, but I know I have more problems vs. DDD than i do vs MK... DDD just has more punishing tools that hinder Kirby more than MK does.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'll think I'll end the King Dedede talk. Voting time, I have some Ideas who should we talk about:

Wario
Diddy Kong
Falco
Zelda
and Luigi

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Diddy Kong it is. The obvious answer is don't pick FD if you don't want to get three stocked. So anymore stages?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
(off-topic now) There is no way Kirby vs. D3 is 60:40 in Kirby's favor. :p

As for Diddy, ban FD or Smashville, whichever you think he would prefer. FD isn't AS bad as people think.

Take him to RC, Norfair, or PS1. I've had success on those stages today 8)

I think I somehow got over my fear of Diddy. I've been beating them pretty well lately. I beat a Diddy at the tourney this weekend 3-0 in friendlies, and I just beat a good Diddy on Allisbrawl, in some random tournament. I ended up winning: I beat him 3-2 in Winner's Finals, and 3-1 in Grand Finals.

If only I had won the MWC Champs instead...

Ladybug

Smash Lord
I think that as long as its not a flat stage, it's a good stage. With that said, PS seems to be your best stage pick. This keeps away a major part of the banana game, which is tripping. Plus, with the ever changing maps, it can also keep you from being hit by them. It's a lot harder to get a kill because the blast points are so far away, but PS is one of those stages that Kirby can rack up a lot of damage on and, for the most part, not take a lot back.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I took a Diddy to Norfair and did really well. You can gimp diddy here fairly easily IMO and the way the level is set up getting a kirbycide in shouldn't be that difficult compared to other stages (but it also depends on the other player.) Just watch out for Fairs near the sides and the stage hazards which are easily avoided.

Norfair, PS1 and Brinstar can be good against Diddy as Kirby IMO. Pictochat can also be a good counterpick I guess.

EDIT: Is Norfair banned in your regions? In Baja its legal and in SoCal it depends on the host.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
EDIT: Is Norfair banned in your regions? In Baja its legal and in SoCal it depends on the host.
It's not on most tourney's except online tourney's.

Also, I learn that Pokemon Stadium 2 is a bad stage to pick on Diddy Kong thanks to the Ice field and the Electric field, those fields will help Diddy Kong too well. The problem with the talk of Diddy Kong with me is that I need to Brawl more Diddy Kong mains, I haven't done so in almost a half of a year. O_o

Ladybug

Smash Lord
I don't think I've ever played anything on PS2... People in Texas are picking up Diddy right and left since major tournaments are banning MK. But I agree also that Brinstar isn't a bad choice. Or possibly Lylatt... But that one might be just as bad as FD or Smashville. I spent about 1.5 hours yesterday watching Diddy dittos on Yoshi's (which is also a bad stage minus the stone sliding you can do into people). Omg >_<

What about Green Greens? How would that fair?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
On Green Greens they could banana lock you against the walls.

As a self-proclaimed Brinstar Expert, I would have to say that it's really not a good stage to take Diddy. Closer blast zones will help him with his failure killing power, and he can bounce bananas in the middle. Also, the acid might save him from a gimp. Other than that, it's a decent stage against him.

Now that I think of it, when I CPed Norfair against this Diddy, he didn't bother using Diddy there. He went MK (and lost)

Pictochat might be good, just because that stage is awesome (but seriously, Kirby's pretty darn good there if you abuse stuff)

But yeah, Diddy is one of the only characters I will take to Rainbow Cruise. And Diddys oftentimes will switch characters if you take them there.

Ladybug

Smash Lord
Ok. With GG I was thinking we could use the falling and ability to go under the stage to our advantage. That's why I asked about that one.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Diddy is a character that is sadly good on every stage just about if the Diddy player knows what he can or can't do there.

Still, Norfair and RC are probably two of the less bad Diddy stages. JJ isn't horribad either. I also like Pictochat and PS1 so I'll take them there for that reason, although they are pretty good there.

never take him to LM. In fact, I'd ban that over FD myself if it's legal.

EDIT: This one posted? Wow... it wasn't there when I checked after my internet crashed AGAIN...

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Castle Siege seems like a stage to take Diddy Kong because of the first and second areas of the stage can be at your hands, the first you can able to gimp him and there's not a lot of space for him to banana lock you for a while, and the second area the statues get in the way for him to banana lock you, however don't foolishly go after him near the death zones or get caught in the banana lock or you might die. I don't know if this stage helps, but I can only guess since I didn't Brawl enough Diddy Kong mains. ^_^;

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ I haven't really thought about Castle Siege. I'll try it next time and see what I get from there. ♥

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Castle Siege is good as long as you don't let yourself get nanner-locked off the side of the screen in the second portion. The first portion isn't too bad for Diddy unless he can't get around the fact that he can't lock you/us (sorry for the confusing word usage, I play Diddy too). The third portion rocks (pun intended) for Diddy because of the wide open space available to abuse. I wouldn't recommend the stage overall as a cp unless the Diddy doesn't know what they are doing there. Actually, that's probably true of any stage against Diddy. I'm a firm believer that Diddy has no "bad" stages, just stages that force him to change his play-style. That being said, RC is likely your best bet. Just be careful on the ship and the long upper portion after the pendulum, and abuse the crap out of him in between.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I guess it is true that Kirby does advrage on Castle Siege, well goes to show you I have no Diddy EXP. =P

Also, I think that Pokemon Stadium might be a good stage to Brawl Diddy since Kirby can strongly abuse the Water and Rock area too much, though my options don't really matter in this talk, lol.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ At least you have more experience than me, I counter pick Final Destination on Diddy Kong and almost got three stocked, until Kirbycides for the win. -_-; ♥

♣ I guess Rainbow Cruise can mess with his Banana game some when he's out of the ship. ♥

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
♣ I guess Rainbow Cruise can mess with his Banana game some when he's out of the ship. ♥
On the second portion, yes. Kirby's air mobility can give Diddy problems, and Diddy lack of air mobility accentuates the problem. As for the rest of the stage? No. Its the same as any stage with platforms.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I've been currently slaking on my duties to put more detail on this stage guide due to me not having the time. I'll make time to fix it later on today when I feel better.

Edited: I'll give this topic till Sunday to change for a new one.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Hate to double post, but I've updated the character talk the characters we went over. Now voting time, though I have some suggestions.

Wario- He's got promoted way high in the tier list and surprisingly Kirby's disadvantage match up, so we should stage talk him.

Luigi- There's not much talk of him on any boards, so that's why I said him.

Falco- The Falco boards started a match up guide with him, and there could be stage confusion.

R.O.B.- Stage confusion on R.O.B. and not much talk of him as well.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'll mostly agree with Luigi, I'll get his image later, Luigi talk starts now!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I don't really know what to pick against Luigi. I know that Brinstar is a terrible idea. He'll kill you at like -2% with his Fsmash there.

I beat a Luigi a couple tourneys ago in pools and he counterpicked Norfair on me. Not sure if it's a good Luigi stage (though I guess lava combos, lava saving him getting gimped, and low % Fsmash/Shoryukens off the top platforms help him a lot) or if the player just liked it. That same Luigi and his Olimar partner counterpicked Delfino Plaza against me in doubles...but that was doubles.

I'm thinking that Jungle Japes would be a good stage against him. Not sure what else, probably just whatever you feel most comfortable with, as long as it doesn't have a low ceiling :/

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Asdioh, Cr4sh and Hilt CP Delfino in doubles due to the pikmin Oli gets there if I'm not mistaken.

JJ would definitely be good against him. I personally like PS1 (big surprise...) and Pictochat (another surprise, right?) against him, as well as Lylat. The 1st and 3rd screw with his recovery, and Pictochat has a high ceiling while being a great Kirby stage.

I would think we'd do better than he on Norfair though...

Top Bottom