• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Matchup Rankings

Wyvern-x

Smash Apprentice
I can understand gimping and WoP, but Ike has a huge range advantage and the fact that once Kirby hits 75% he is in the ko zone. Ike's jab > Kirby's ground game

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
Kirby's ground game isn't his strength. Lure the Ike in with empty SH's and such and punish his misses. you can also grab combo Ike's pretty well

Wyvern-x

Smash Apprentice
I agree on Kirby > Ike in air but since Ike doesn't have to approach that won't always work. Ike stops all of kirby's approaches. Most of Ike's attacks won't be shield grabbed if spaced properly so that limits Kirby's damage racking opotions.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
the only problem is, well, ike is garbage. he might sh nair or something. you can sh airdodge past and behiund him. once you get in close its hard for him to do anything.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
I agree on Kirby > Ike in air but since Ike doesn't have to approach that won't always work. Ike stops all of kirby's approaches. Most of Ike's attacks won't be shield grabbed if spaced properly so that limits Kirby's damage racking opotions.
you can force him to approach with Kirby.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
If played well, a good Ike can be hard to beat, until you learn how he plays. After that it's honestly cake. He doesn't have nearly as many options as Kirby.

Plus his horrible recovery and all that.

Wyvern-x

Smash Apprentice
Thing is if kirby trys to air through a sh nair he will get hit by the back swing of the nair. Also Ike's jab gets kirby off of him pretty easily. Ike has enough options to switch up his game and not be predictable.

Ike outranges Kirby by a whole lot making it pretty hard for kirby to get in close. Add in huge knockback, a few lingering hitboxes, more priority and the fact the Ike has disjointed hitboxes I don't think Kirby has 7-3 over him.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
Thing is if kirby trys to air through a sh nair he will get hit by the back swing of the nair. Also Ike's jab gets kirby off of him pretty easily. Ike has enough options to switch up his game and not be predictable.

Ike outranges Kirby by a whole lot making it pretty hard for kirby to get in close. Add in huge knockback, a few lingering hitboxes, more priority and the fact the Ike has disjointed hitboxes I don't think Kirby has 7-3 over him.
thats because you only look at the positives on Ike's side... Kirby's faster by a mile and a quarter. and why the heck would a Kirby user try and hit THROUGH SH n airs? wait out the n air and punish. get him off the ledge and he's dead.

Wyvern-x

Smash Apprentice
Shff n-air has no lag at all...Ike's jab, u-tilt, n-air, b-air, u-air can all compete with kirby's attack speed.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
u dont have to approach Ike, its true the jab is good and the Nair is good also but its all Ike's got, and when he trys something else when Kirby doesnt approach he gets shield grabbed, punished for lag, combo'd, or gimped with Inhale. Ikes advantages are few, Kirby's are more and more damaging

Wyvern-x

Smash Apprentice
A fast-falled full hop or sh f-air has no ending. It won't be shield grabbed due to range, can't be punished for lag and outranges inhale.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
On a tournment last week, I notice that Snake is vonrable to Kriby's grab combo's. I used two grab combo's. First one: D-Grab>Up-Tilt>D-Grab>Up-Tilt>(if your lucky) D-Grab (or Up Smash)>(if you get D-Grab) Up-Air>B-Air.

Second one: F-Grab>F-Air>B-Air twice>(if he's under you) hold grab (don't hit him becasue he'll lose his way to do Up-B just like Pit and Sonic) or D-Air.

I wish I have the tool to put this on Youtube but I don't. T_T

Anyways, try this out.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
A fast-falled full hop or sh f-air has no ending. It won't be shield grabbed due to range, can't be punished for lag and outranges inhale.
we heard you the first time. FF'd F airs aren't god move... they can be avoided and predicted since its Ike's one good aerial. without it he has nothing aerial wise on Kirby and its not like Kirby doesn't have a shield button. Kirby gets the nod over Ike hands down. with or without a auto canceled N air

to Viper:
i've had similar combo's on heavies. i find they only work once or twice though. only until the other guy realizes he cant just fall straight back down on you with an aerial.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i co-main as Kirby, and i play Lee (the gamestop national champ who used Ike(but no longer mains him)..either way, he still has one of the best Ikes in the country)...I'm pretty sure Kirby vs Ike is a pretty fair fight, maybe in Ike's favor. Ike's autocanceled F.airs, Jabs, and UpTilt are all vicious on him.
Even if his aerials are slower, if he spaces, he will always win, because you dont have hte range to compensate for when he leans away in the air while attacking towards you.
and when you play defensive, you'll find yourself cornered alot....and pro ikes HOPE you try to airdodge past their aerials...just so they can delay them. Make a mistake in the air at 70% and you are dead.
Kirby can combo ike at very low damages, but from there you'll find yourself having a harder time nailing that b.air you want, if the ike is farmiliar with the matchup.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
mmm yes i find if your careful you can usually beat them out in the meta game of a match. Kirby has more options i think. i like to mix in F airs with my B airs against Ike. and the ODD aerial hammer entry (full jumped) if they like spot dodging. i dunno. with Kirby's air control i think a careful Kirby should be able to handle an Ike

joedragon15

Smash Apprentice
ok look i played some real good ikes. and there is this one ike mainer that beat a snake pro. and he is one of the best ikes i seen so far... . . . .. . . . .. anyway i played this ike and we had a best two outta three. and i won. but the fact of the matter is that he came sso close to beating my kirby. from my experience i would say its a match up of 65-55 in kirbys favor.

cman

Smash Ace
ok look i played some real good ikes. and there is this one ike mainer that beat a snake pro. and he is one of the best ikes i seen so far... . . . .. . . . .. anyway i played this ike and we had a best two outta three. and i won. but the fact of the matter is that he came sso close to beating my kirby. from my experience i would say its a match up of 65-55 in kirbys favor.
Out of a 120%?? I think you mean 55-45

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
Id have to agree with what he just said. I thought i was gonna destroy this ike player that i played today. But he did indeed hold his own very well. I think we broke even on the wins and losses. That definitely lit a fire up my ***.

pirkid

Smash Lord
I also faced an Ike recently (20 minutes ago :/).

2-stocked. Got me with jabs and naris, but that recovery is just too easy to gimp.

I'd say stick with the Neutral range, 45-66 for either/or, it seems to depend on who can handle what.

pirkid

Smash Lord

2-stocked. Got me with jabs and naris, but that recovery is just too easy to gimp.

I'd say stick with the Neutral range, 45-66 for either/or, it seems to depend on who can handle what.

pirkid

Smash Lord

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Ike is definitely at a disadvantage. Having only a couple of effective methods of attack is definitely a disadvantage IMO. Plus easy early damage and predictable recovery that kirby can abuse.

pirkid

Smash Lord
Ike recovery can gimps and some attacks are slow which can be punish by kirby just don't get hit it, its pretty strong. :p
That's the thing, most/all Ikes abuse jabs, fast tilts etc that don't lack in power, making for a hard game.

Crouching? Sometimes I'm able to dodge a ftilt and a jab. But it's a hard match, no matter what.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
in my experience its a slight bit in Kirby's favor. or at least even. I feel similar about MK. Kirby to me is one of the very few characters who can effectively chase MK off the stage.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
in my experience its a slight bit in Kirby's favor. or at least even. I feel similar about MK. Kirby to me is one of the very few characters who can effectively chase MK off the stage.
What? Really? That's the last thing you want to do to MK, the only reason that Kirby can hold his own against MK is abusing his effective attacks and landing a fsmash that can easily kill MK below 100%. Chasing MK off the stage = death. Reverse hitbox of the shuttle loop can gimp you very easily, not something you want in a match like this. But stealing Mach Tornado somewhat evens the non-gimping game since its an excellent recovery.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
???? i think ur wrong, one sweetspotted Bair when MK is off the stage and MK dies. Chasing MK off the stage is def a good idea if u know what ur doing

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
???? i think ur wrong, one sweetspotted Bair when MK is off the stage and MK dies. Chasing MK off the stage is def a good idea if u know what ur doing
See a lot of people get gimped by not knowing what they are doing though. Just learn the spacing and realize that when metaknight is off stage he has to get back to the stage, so if you are both trying to space he is at a disadvantage since he has a more predictable pathway. Just predict any attack and space a bair or hammer.

DrkKnight

Smash Cadet
G&W discuss lol
god i hate this guy, he always gets me with Dthrow Dsmash and his auto canceling Nair get anoying too, i really hate him although ive found a decent way to counter him he is still very hard for kirby, def 35 - 65 in G&W favor im sorry he is just to **** out prioritizing

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
he does have attacks that have good priority and disjointed hitboxes this is the only advice i can give. When G&W dairs use the ground hammer. Its hit box is large and kills G&W at ~65% and up. His Bair is pretty tricky. I usally stay pretty close to G&W so as soon as i see a RAR i use tackle and it gets the job done. If u are gonna get Nair'd duck or do a jumping airdodge. U jave 6 jumps if ur on the ground abuse them. His Bup is an easy move to gimp. U know its coming so use brick to beat it.

DrkKnight

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the tips, but the G&W that 2 stocks me now, i beat, i use final cutter alot and mid air hammer when he went for dair's , RAR'ing helped while he was using Nair because kirby's range out does him, mainly though its my new technique, fast falled Nairs that auto cancel into grabs or vulcan jabs

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
ok...what does RAR mean?

Here's something interesting too: I was playing at a friend's house, and I discovered that when Kirby uses G&W's sausage move, G&W can catch it in the bucket. However, in a G&W mirror match, they can't catch the sausage in the bucket. I dunno what's up with that...

Final Cutter can also be caught in the bucket.

Also, I'd like to say that Ike vs. Kirby is probably not 70:30, imo it's 60:40, or 65:35 at most. Just my opinion...

DrkKnight

Smash Cadet
ok...what does RAR mean?

Here's something interesting too: I was playing at a friend's house, and I discovered that when Kirby uses G&W's sausage move, G&W can catch it in the bucket. However, in a G&W mirror match, they can't catch the sausage in the bucket. I dunno what's up with that...

Final Cutter can also be caught in the bucket.

Also, I'd like to say that Ike vs. Kirby is probably not 70:30, imo it's 60:40, or 65:35 at most. Just my opinion...
Reverse Aerial Rushing
basically running at them tapping the opposite directiong, short hopping, then doing a ack Air while holding twords them, it keeps your forward momentum but with a Bair, kirby just got better lol

3GOD

Smash Ace
G&W discuss lol
god i hate this guy, he always gets me with Dthrow Dsmash
For the Dthrow, you need to learn how to tech it. It's not THAT hard to tech, but you do need to practice the timing a little bit since it seems to have a tighter window than normal techs.

Basically, for the Dthrow, G&W will make three "beeps" while you are sort of "juggled" in his hands. You need to press L/R (or whatever you use to shield) right after the third "beep." I was able to get it mastered with about 5 minutes of practice.

EDIT: Of course, you can also tech roll left/right by holding left/right on the control stick when you press the shield button to tech, or if you just press the shield button with no directional input, you can tech in place.

DrkKnight

Smash Cadet
For the Dthrow, you need to learn how to tech it. It's not THAT hard to tech, but you do need to practice the timing a little bit since it seems to have a tighter window than normal techs.

Basically, for the Dthrow, G&W will make three "beeps" while you are sort of "juggled" in his hands. You need to press L/R (or whatever you use to shield) right after the third "beep." I was able to get it mastered with about 5 minutes of practice.
well i went to the GW thread and they said that kirby is one of the lightweights, and kirby cannot tech out of this but ill give it a try, sounds like it will help

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I used to hate the Kirby-Game & Watch matchup, but after some practice, it doesn't seem to be nearly as bad once you learn what you need to watch out for. You can maneuver around most of the hitboxes on Game & Watch's moves, and it is possible to tech after the down throw, but if you don't tech, the down smash is guaranteed to hit.

3GOD

Smash Ace
well i went to the GW thread and they said that kirby is one of the lightweights, and kirby cannot tech out of this but ill give it a try, sounds like it will help
I'm almost sure I've teched it with Kirby before, but I usually play Wario for this matchup, so I might not have done it with Kirby.

I think that the list on the G&W boards is not a list of who can/can't tech it, but a list of characters on whom a Dsmash is guaranteed if they do NOT tech the Dthrow.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Reverse Aerial Rushing
basically running at them tapping the opposite directiong, short hopping, then doing a ack Air while holding twords them, it keeps your forward momentum but with a Bair, kirby just got better lol
Oh. I'm pretty sure I do that already, without knowing what it's called or seen instructions on it. When I send someone flying off the ledge, and I'm in say the middle of the stage, I sometimes run to the end of the stage, and near the the I press the opposite direction and jump towards them. That way, I'm still moving towards them, but I'm backwards so I can do a back air. That's what this is, right?

edit:
I'm pretty sure I do that already, without knowing what it's called or seen instructions on it.
Wow I sound like a hick...

Top Bottom