• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Matchup Rankings

Demised

Smash Ace
I'd have to agree with Twilight. Its obvious you've never played a professional Iceys. If i keep walking the other way, im just gonna fall off the edge. Thats no bueno.

poorboy93

Smash Cadet
Poorboy... I don't think you have seen proper use of the Ice climber down b... they alternately short hop approach with it so that theres a constant stream of ice going up and down while they move towards you. Its pretty ****.

Oh and getting grabbed can really screw you over. If they are really good they can pull off a 0-death while essentially not moving at all.
Reallyy? ha can i get a video? I wanna see that rapage. I wanna fight a good IC. My friends I guess are ok with them, they dont know that Down B rapage for sure. Is there any good IC in Norcal? I know gettting grab can get you effed over. Dont IC have like over 9000 CG? XD
Well my post shows how im inexpereinced im at with fighting IC

What I mean was walk the other way was hang off the edge, and poke him with bair or the hammer off the stage.
and I thought bair helps alot in not getting grabbed?

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
That ice climbers video is ****. Isn't their 0-death chaingrabs banned in most tourneys though?

Deg222

Smash Journeyman
Florida; I consider myself a decent brawl player.
I'm interested in seeing why you guys say Kirby>Ganondorf. They say it's advantaged for Ganon in their matchup thread. Anyone care to explain?

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162214
Well I've played Sliq before and this is what I got from it. We can combo Ganon pretty easily, nobody can deny that. We can duck his: Auto canceled down air, down b, neutral attack. There are problems at approaching Ganon, but once we can get inside of Ganon's range, we can play pretty offensively and make it work well because of how slow Ganon is. I would have to agree that it's hard to gimp Ganon, his up b pretty much pierces everything we have except for down b of course. But then again, it's not necessary to gimp Ganon half the time, a simple hug can do the job. All in all, I find that even though we lack range a little bit against Ganon, we can do too many combos to him: Forward throw to up air, up tilt to back air, it's just easy to combo him. I'd have to say 60:40 in Kirby's favor.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Wow.... that description sounds like they based it on melee kirby.

Ganondorf really only has early kills going for him. He is really easy to gimp, is to avoid his attacks, easy to string attacks on and rack up damage. He is way too slow.

lol at them saying kirby has bad kill moves and bad edgeguarding. Kirbys aerial hammer is probably just as fast as ganons tilts. One dair to footstool would probably kill ganon at 0%. And kirby doesn't even have to kirbycide ganon.. he can just spit him under the stage and he wont be able to recover as long as kirby edgehogs.

Oh yeah most of kirbys kill moves are probably equal in speed to ganons tilts and with less lag. Problem here is ganon misses an attack and is punished horribly. Missing attacks is easy for ganon due to how slow he is. Sure ganon can kill early and do a lot of damage per hit, but missing a hit gets him punished more than for landing it, so kirby has less risk and more reward. Definite advantage there.

About ganons upb... either hit him before he has time to use it or just edgehog to ledgehopped hammer. He can't grab the ledge so if he lives will will be within range of a ledgehopped hammer and have enough lag to not avoid it if you are quick enough. If you time it right its a lose lose for ganon.

joedragon15

Smash Apprentice
lol im sorry but me and my crew well we each main our char. and we pretty **** good. and well one of the best players in the team mains gannon and he can show u that its pretty much even out between kirby and gannon and im saying this cuz my crew we go to the weeklies and we play agaisnt players like bum m2k and ninjalink and well tho gannon can easily get gimped. its based of how the player uses gannon. cuz gannon can kill kirby at 30 percent with a fsmah, or a kart wheel in the air of his fair. and he can basically kill any char. at 0% with his spike. and well. lol my team mate doesnt use the laggy moves. so to me kirby and gannon is pretty much nuetral

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Kirby ***** Ganon in the A55 with no lube. I have yet to play any ganon that Kirby can't beat. G-Reg (Gregulate) has a pretty good Ganon which i beat moderately trying. I played an alright Ganon in tourney and did a 0-death combo on him hist last stock at Luigi's mansion. Let the ganons c the **** which is Hiro no Kaabi!!!!

joedragon15

Smash Apprentice
gonzo i really want u to play agaisnt my crew mate boss./ lol cuz his gannon is the best i seen in any rate. and if u play him i want u to see how good his gannon is. lol but other then boss. every other gannon i seen really suck ballz. lmao. and i pretty much **** the **** outta them. lol

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I see that Kirby has an advantage against Olimar. I actually think Olimar has the advantage over Kirby. You gotta hate camping Olimar's that never approach you. *_*

jtowns

Smash Apprentice
I found that if you are just super agressive to Olimar, he can't camp. You outplay him in the air, just don't do dair. All he has to point the c-stick at you on the ground. His attacks are easily dodged though. Counter with throws and air combos repeatedly. That always works for me.

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
Just spam forward airs against him and he'll have to approach. Fair> Pikmin throw.

joedragon15

Smash Apprentice
well gonzo we dont go to va and the weeklies is at manhatten newyork. lol :) thats where people like bum and ninjalink and crismas and lightxdreams is at. lmao :) try and come down here

joedragon15

Smash Apprentice
iight gonzo no prob. hopefully u will get down here soetie this week or next week. lol cant wait to see u. lol. and well just tell e whenever u coming iight? but with that said. ok does anyone else have any other char. in ind that kirby ight have a hard tie with???

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
so my old account was allowed back, not sure what they'll do about it or if i want to use it but i will b able to update my old threads under this account

M@v

Subarashii!
i disagree with the fox matchup. Whenever I play kirby, it seems like an even fight. Kirby got that small chain combo, but other than that, priority seems even, and I usually have very close games with kirbys.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
i disagree with the fox matchup. Whenever I play kirby, it seems like an even fight. Kirby got that small chain combo, but other than that, priority seems even, and I usually have very close games with kirbys.
I would say its probably not 70-30... more like 60-40 but I am pretty sure theres an advantage there. Between fox being extremely light (he has low weight but extremely fast fall speed meaning he lives a long time when being hit upwards but can die much easier off the sides) and having a predictable/gimpable recovery, he will have a difficult time.

Now I will say that fox's dair is **** priority. Usmash is just **** in general. But really the first 50% or so on fox is just extremely easy. Plus kirby and fox will generally die around the same percentage, with more possibility for fox to die early than kirby since fox will almost always get his kills from usmash. And if they generally kill at the same percent (outside of early gimps from kirby) and kirby has an easy first 50%, that is an advantage right there. Probably the rest of the fight is even but those tip the scale in kirbys favor.

Colbert

Smash Apprentice
I dont see where Fox has an advantage in any way. If you ask me, I think he is Kirby's easiest matchup (or at least top 3). 70-30 is being nice.

Kirby's aerials are generally faster, have more knockback. and have more priority aside from Fox's dair.

Kirby has better KO power. Fox only has his usmash as a better KO move, and it still becomes quite predictable. Kirby has his fsmash, usmash, aerial hammer, stone, bair, dair, etc and isn't nearly as predictable when going for the kill.

Fox has a horrible edge game, and Kirby's is awesome. It is just too easy to get Fox off the stage and edgeguard him. Throw in inhale and you have one easy to kill mammal.

Kirby can duck under Fox's lasers.

51 percent chaingrab

Shine is useless against Kirby, even if he does manage to hit Kirby on the edge.

l SOUP l

Smash Apprentice
I was looking at the Toon Link matchup and it says 60-40. WHAT? More like 70-30, TL has to be the easiest match-up Kirby can have. His aerials are better than TL's, he is super hard to hit with projectiles, and Ill go as far as to say his ground game is better. His dtilt has great range along with his jab combo which can be used to edgeguard. I hate this pink fatso :(.

Demised

Smash Ace
The only character I have problems with on a consistent basis looking at previous tournament standings would be a pro Peach. I dont know why really. She just always seems to win the air battle and racks up damage really fast. I did worse against 2 pro peachs(Edreese, Light) then I do against top MK / Snake players. (DSF). I dunnnnnn get ittttt.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
I play edrees all the time. Its just a different character. When you get used to peach it isn't as bad. You probably just didn't know the matchup as well since like everyone plays MK and snake anyways.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Forward air spamming is a bad strategy for peach since she can't kill that well if it gets stale =/

Oh btw if peach is floating above you crouching>shielding

jtowns

Smash Apprentice
man, i just try to change my air game to more of a ground game against peach because it's so **** annoying when she just floats around.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Final cutter can be amazing on peach since the disjointedness can go straight through her aerials (like if she is in the middle of a dair) just aim for the upwards hit from off the ground. Also knock her off the edge and go for a spike, but if her parasol is out you have to either hit her from the side or use stoneform. And peach can be ledgehogged just grab the ledge as she does her upb towards it then pull yourself up just as the parasol goes through your body.

edit: Also utilt is great on peach if she is low enough (which if you start to crouch a lot she will start going lower) just avoid the usmash and fair since those are her only kill moves. Though if the peach you are playing spams fair for damage then try to avoid attacking her from the front unless she just whiffed a fair. Also its always great to go after her just when she is landing. Her ground game really isn't too impressive. Edrees loves to spam turnips or w/e they whenever I am not close to him and he is on the ground ><

jtowns

Smash Apprentice
The first time I played a peach I got rocked. Peach is a different kind of fight for Kirby imo. She isn't great played aggressively on the ground or really in the air. It's more of a fight that you focus on minimizing your mistakes as much as possible because that's the only time I've found for her to be effective against my aggressive play.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
imo
best way to play kirby is to go into a bait and punish and as soon as you start a punish go into an agressive playstyle. On bad matchups just stay in bait and punish playstyle. On good matchups you can stay in agressive playstyle for the most part.

jtowns

Smash Apprentice
I go aggressive into every match pretty much. I sometimes modify my playstyle as the match goes on if I can adapt to the other player's style. I feel like match up problems are only something that can hold you back if you think about it. Just play your game, and if you win you do, and if you don't well then punch the other person in the nose! jk ^_^

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Match up problems just involve not knowing what to do in order to beat a character. Matchups that are difficult usually give kirby fewer options to fight back, and require more patience the better the player is. Basically, you have to think more the harder the matchup is. Really though kirby doesn't have any matchups that or so bad. As long as you learn ways around characters "brickwall" strategies you can pretty much beat any character. I hate playing matchups I don't know =/

Demised

Smash Ace
Yah. I agree with basically every comment said from my last post. When I play edreese and then play light, it felt like i was playing the same person. They both have a certain peach style that im finally starting to learn. Once I get peach down, I wont feel worried about any character match ups at all, just the players skill. Anything I can do to lower my worries, im down for. hehe.

Twilight- Im going to be coming out to Cali and staying with Dsf the next time he's in town minus this weekend. Should get some people together and smash it up. Although when Alex called me yesterday he said there were 70 somethin people at a tournament on a Thursday so I dont think that will be a problem. I need to move to Cali.. :dizzy:

Top Bottom