• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

dooitstheo

Smash Rookie
yeah asidoh that's where i got curious and i looked it up. i had seen it before and thought nothing of it but when i saw your vid i decided to lookinto it

Triple R

Smash Lord
blarg.... there's quite a few people that think kirby is so easy to pick up. "All you have to do is bair alot and then fsmash lawlz." Beating characters above us in the tier list is, for the most part, hard work. Even a campy link is hard to get around sometimes....

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
Is it smart to use kirby's spit out attack to spit people out under the stage to kill people with bad recovery a good idea?

(couldn't think of better wording)

and what's the best way to approach spam and (f-smash) happy toon link and yoshi?

(excuse the lot of questions)

lastly, is kirby a good alt for luigi and g&w? apparently kirby is not a good fix to luigi's marth problem.

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
Is it smart to use kirby's spit out attack to spit people out under the stage to kill people with bad recovery a good idea?
It's almost expected. You could also jump off and spit them towards the blast Zones (Chars like Link and Ganondorf.
(couldn't think of better wording)

and what's the best way to approach spam and (f-smash) happy toon link and yoshi?
RUN AND SHIELD. Then Grab/Spot dodge if you get attacked first.
(excuse the lot of questions)

lastly, is kirby a good alt for luigi and g&w? apparently kirby is not a good fix to luigi's marth problem.

Not Really > .> I'm pretty sure Luigi has trouble against Marth and MK. He's fun to play and stuff, but I wouldn't recommend him as an Alt.

Hope that Helps.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
How would you spit someone out below the stage. If you walk of fthe edge, your facing away from the stage? Can you turn around midair and spit or do you have to do the midair inhale while facing the stage to do it.

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
dfat on that last question i think you misunderstood me.

luigi is my main, and i was considering kirby as an alt (or at least a DDD/mk counter) but apparently kirby is bad vs. marth

thanks on the other stuff though

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
If you look at the Marth matchup thread...apparently everyone is bad against Marth.

He had 3 characters that had an advantage on him: dedede, metaknight, and Snake. He had 3 50-50 matchups: donkey kong, something else, and something else.

Everything else was at least 60-40 Marth's advantage, lolol.

Bellioes, the best way to do it is Inhale them while you're offstage, facing the stage. Or you could Inhale them on the stage, then turn around and jump backwards off the stage...but that takes time. Starshot gimps are kinda predictable :\

2pac29

Smash Apprentice
O.k guys Maybe this was answered already but Can you cancel kirbys up+B???
Because I did, Have no clue how though...I was on the bottom of battlefield And half way through my UpB He stopped at the edge of BF and hit my opponent with the cutter!!!

I was Able to save the Replay But It's on my friends Wii I'll upload it As soon as I play on it again!!!

BTW I hate marth vs kriby Such a tough match up!!!

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I HATE THE ****ING KIRBYCIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to know how to escape it like the CPU's do. thnx

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Try struggling...Y'know...the thing that's pretty much just pressing buttons and moving the control stick around...

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Probably because they're computers and don't have the limits of...actual hands, so they can mash out really fast?

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Probably because they're computers and don't have the limits of...actual hands, so they can mash out really fast?
Yea, they probably mash the equivalent of 100 buttons a second or something.

Try randomly pushing a bunch of buttons. It usually works, but try not to, say, buffer a shuttle loop in the wrong direction, as Fromundaman states in his inhale guide.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
kk... I tried hitting a bunch of buttons, but I still failed. (How the heck can a CPU break out of it so easily!??!?!)

Dunno how the cpu does it, but you can always try the Super Grab Break tech from the Ness boards. Spin the d-stick and flick the c-stick repeatedly in a single direction. Always works for me when I nead to get out of something fast :).

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Try SDI'ing upwards.
If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well, she really only put up things people asked to be on there, so you know, if you never asked, it was never put up...

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
I have SERIOUS trouble with camperz.

I swear to god, I have lost to random scrubs in tourney that NOBODY knows simply cause they camp me. Even though it wasn't tourney, it was friendlies, I have lost to people who camp and spam A/Side B with Pit. I get like 25% on me from a Pit's Side-B, no joke. Maybe its cause I have terrible DI, I dunno.

Is spamming up-b an effective way to approach projectile campers (this includes Snake). I almost always lose to a Snake, even if they are a random cause I have practically no experience against Snake. I tried secondarying Snake just so I could deal with him but I just can't play Snake smart, xD

I mean I punish campers with my G&W and MK (excluding Snakes) but I can't with Kirby and I want to be an all Kirby, I'm tired of using MK in tourney (unless I feel like winning without trying, I've used Kirby against scrubs and I've lost simply cause I'm not motivated thus play Kirby bad, while I can still play MK effortlessly and effectively)

Even though this isn't Kirby related....I think I should use my R.O.B. against Snakes, his lasers and gyros punish his nade camping, especially with glide toss approaching to d-smash

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Use all of your secondaries when you need them. You can only be good enough all-Kirby if you're ChuDat, and none of us are (except Chu).

For pit, his a-combo is really annoying, because it's knockback forces you in, but with DI, you can get out. Also, someone, I think it was Asdioh, said during the Pit discussion that if you DI'd towards Pit's side-b, you'd go through it like nothing.

Up-b spam=bad. Prepare to be punished. I would definitely use someone else in these matchups. As for mk, if you don't enjoy playing as him, don't second him.

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
kk... I tried hitting a bunch of buttons, but I still failed. (How the heck can a CPU break out of it so easily!??!?!)
I'm pretty sure buttons don't have anything to do with getting out of:

Grabs
Tumble animation
Kirby's/DDD's swallow
Yoshi's egg
etc

I think they are all dependent on the control stick. Try wiggling the heck out of that thing and it should speed up your get away time.

Also keep in mind that the higher your percentage is the harder it will be for you to escape. At 0% it should be a second or two, at 150% it might take so long that he manages to kirbycide you.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
I have SERIOUS trouble with camperz.

I swear to god, I have lost to random scrubs in tourney that NOBODY knows simply cause they camp me. Even though it wasn't tourney, it was friendlies, I have lost to people who camp and spam A/Side B with Pit. I get like 25% on me from a Pit's Side-B, no joke. Maybe its cause I have terrible DI, I dunno.

Is spamming up-b an effective way to approach projectile campers (this includes Snake). I almost always lose to a Snake, even if they are a random cause I have practically no experience against Snake. I tried secondarying Snake just so I could deal with him but I just can't play Snake smart, xD

I mean I punish campers with my G&W and MK (excluding Snakes) but I can't with Kirby and I want to be an all Kirby, I'm tired of using MK in tourney (unless I feel like winning without trying, I've used Kirby against scrubs and I've lost simply cause I'm not motivated thus play Kirby bad, while I can still play MK effortlessly and effectively)

Even though this isn't Kirby related....I think I should use my R.O.B. against Snakes, his lasers and gyros punish his nade camping, especially with glide toss approaching to d-smash

Yo, duck when u can, not always cuz its still pretty easy to hit kirby when he's ducking. but mix up the duck with jumps and shorthop air dodges. Slowly but surely u can move closer, if he tries to use his side b jump towards him like u would Bair but airdodge through and then short hop towards him and inhale. It'll suck him up and the u can start to camp back. If u have any other opportunity to suck him up do it. I usually b reversal my side B because it increases the range of the inhale. Thats what i usually do against Pit anyway. Whats great about Pits copy is if u can force him to use his Bup Kirby can snipe Pit for the coolest gimp of ur life.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
I HATE THE ****ING KIRBYCIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to know how to escape it like the CPU's do. thnx
What you can do if your serious about finding out. is go to 1/4 mode get sucked up and c how many times u have to press jump before you escape. Also every full rotation of the control stick counts as one input. What i do especially against Ice Climbers is rotate the control stick and slide my thumb across B, A, Y, X and also hit R with my forefinger. Thats 7 inputs in about 0.2 seconds. multiply by 5 and you can c how easy it is to get out. The only problem against Kirby is that u have rotate the control stick and only smash Y and X nothing else. Which makes things a bit more problematic.

GL hope i helped :)

whispers (sorry about double post)

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Pit isn't a major problem, but the fact is, I have to TRY to beat a/side-b spammers lol, I'm not smart enough to figure out how to get around spam. Also I do enjoy playing as MK, I just don't like him near as much as Kirby. My MAIN problem is Snake, I can't beat a Snake that nade camps. I think R.O.B. would be my smarter option, but I want to be able to use all Kirby.

Also what you said is wrong A1lion835, last time I checked one of teh Kirby boardz active users Gonzo is all Kirby. Plenty of people are all Kirby, hell, I main Kirby cause I like him, not cause he's good. I would've mained him in Melee but when I started playing Melee again (I was like on a year hiatus) it was late 07 so I just decided to stick with my main (Ganondorf) until Brawl came out.

I'll definately go MK against ICs, much harder for them to grab MK than Kirby, thats the one match up I don't think I'll use Kirby in.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Yeah i dont have a secondary for brawl of brawl+ you really dont need one to be honest. our only bad matchup is Marth and marth really has no bad matchups so might as well stick to ur main for that match.

Poyo, against snake just take his power and ledge camp grenades. Kirby can utilize grenades so well its stupid!!! At the start of the match do an Fthrow Uair then inhale. Then run towards the edge and throw grenades. A few grenade tricks to remember. If ur opponent picks up a grenade click B and he'll drop it, regardless of whether you have two grenades out or not. Second, the best way to ledge camp nades for me is to let go of the edge, fall a little, jump away from the stage and B-reversal a grenade. The type of throw depends on you opponents position. But if he really is a camper he'll never hit you. Once he does come towards you Fsmash or Bair him away and just camp more nades. Its to goodz!!!!

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Yeah i dont have a secondary for brawl of brawl+ you really dont need one to be honest. our only bad matchup is Marth and marth really has no bad matchups so might as well stick to ur main for that match.

Poyo, against snake just take his power and ledge camp grenades. Kirby can utilize grenades so well its stupid!!! At the start of the match do an Fthrow Uair then inhale. Then run towards the edge and throw grenades. A few grenade tricks to remember. If ur opponent picks up a grenade click B and he'll drop it, regardless of whether you have two grenades out or not. Second, the best way to ledge camp nades for me is to let go of the edge, fall a little, jump away from the stage and B-reversal a grenade. The type of throw depends on you opponents position. But if he really is a camper he'll never hit you. Once he does come towards you Fsmash or Bair him away and just camp more nades. Its to goodz!!!!
Thanx Gonzo this should really help. I lost to Shinku at BTYF lol. Its cause I played really aggresive, even though I don't like to camp, I guess I have to xD

Another bad match-up is ZSS but it isn't common as Marth. Yeah, there was nothing my Kirby could do against CK lol, but then again, its CK...sooo yeah.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Another bad match-up is ZSS but it isn't common as Marth.
I object, I OBJECT!!! I keep hearing this Zamus is 40-60 but I don't see this happening. Every Zamus main I Brawl doesn't stand a chance when brawling me, WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME!!! Is my Kirby on crack to not be effected by this match up? T_T

Levitas

the moon
I find when I play as kirby that I can't camp as effectively as the other character and thus need to go on offense. I find that as this happens, I lose a bunch of advantageous options. How can I avoid this?

Additionally, Fsmash is a great KO move. If they're near you. Which they're not. Meaning bair is the next best thing, but it's not as good as fsmash. How do I attach a magnet to kirby to force the other dude to come close at high %?

Here's a video of me as kirby vs bowyer's fox for some reason. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqM0KL1dUo It was the only game I played today, and I don't use kirby much and bowyer pretty much never uses fox.

Question 1. Why does bowyer do that thing that he did at the end so much?

Question 2. What's obvious that I can do immediately to improve my kirby (besides the dumb random fairs and uairs that I did when he wasn't close, and random charged fsmashes that connected because he's bowyer)?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Levitas, you should come to http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=224209 April 11th and I can teach you Kirby stuffs.

lol at "because he's Bowyer"

The most obvious thing I noticed is that you Fsmash wayyy too much. I don't Fsmash much, but when I do, it tends to come as a surprise, and thus it works. It's really easy to punish if they block it, and it gets stale and loses KO power if you use it too much. I probably don't use it more than 3 times a stock, and I only use it then when they're in KO range, or really close.

You did a lot of weird things...you could have racked up more damage by pummeling/using different throws/throw combos when you got a grab. You probably could have KOed him last stock with an Upthrow on the top platform. Fthrow->Uair works well on Fox at low %. It can lead to another grab or a tilt after that if he doesn't SDI the Uair.

I dunno about camping/approaching. I don't even think about what I'm doing in games much anymore, I just play XD

At least you don't have problems with rolldodging into your opponent like I used to.

Check the Kirby video sticky if you want to see some matches. I have some recent ones posted there @_@

Levitas

the moon
I rolldodge into my opponents because it's bad and punishable and therefore safe to do against people who can't imagine you doing it.

The fsmash thing is just how I play friendlies, lol. If it's not fsmash, it's dsmash or nair or fair or something else.

lol @ the hanyuu, and I'll talk to the MI crowd and see about tagging along to the springfield tournament if they plan on going.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
@ Levitas - The thing at the end? Fox's dair has semi-spike properties, and he was at a huge disadvantage. As a last ditch effort to win, he was gonna drill you for the win, but you avoided it.

2. When your opponent is at a high percent, you immidiately fsmash, about 5 or 6 times before getting in a clean hit. Bowyer's gonna be able to predict you, so that might have been why. And yeah, fthrow + uair against Fox, you can land about 2 or 3 comboes. I also notice you stopped using fair near the end of the video.

Levitas

the moon
lol, I was just pointing out Bowyer doing one of the two things he's most for: SDing in a way that directly results in a game loss.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Would the other known thing happen to be planking? xD

Levitas

the moon
Bowyer doesn't actually plank. He camps on the stage near the edge, but gets like 15 edge grabs in games he times out, lol.

He also claims not to intend to time games out.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
i've timed games out b4, not on purpose though but ur kind of forced to as u can't afford to get hit. Asdioh i'm gonna try and get me and some friends to go to the tourney u linked a few posts ago. Are their gonna be more people attending than that?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
i've timed games out b4, not on purpose though but ur kind of forced to as u can't afford to get hit. Asdioh i'm gonna try and get me and some friends to go to the tourney u linked a few posts ago. Are their gonna be more people attending than that?
Dude are you serious? Then I'll definitely have to go. I've heard there could be 60+ people going, but I'm really not too sure. I can assure you that some amazing players will be there though, so it's worth it. The OP hasn't been updated since March 14th, he said he'll update it soon though.

We'll have to have EPIC KIRBY DITTOS, even though they "don't prove anything" :p

You can also witness first hand that I am the best Kirby in the midwest, and not Y.B.M. :p

Who are "some friends" ?

edit: I like how Levitas is now Mic_023 and all our names have been April Fooled

edit2: Gonzo if you do come, bring Brawl+ because omfgz I want to play it

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Ah, is that what it is? For a second I thought my computer had gotten some kind of stupid virus... Isn't it a little, I dunno, early for that? It isn't even April fools yet in the Western Hemisphere...

Top Bottom