• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
How viable is Dtilt trip->hyphen Usmash?
I wouldn't trust it personally. Sounds like it's lacking in range, so opponents have a higher chance of just rolling away from it than they do of avoiding the fsmash.

Triple R

Smash Lord
I would just fsmash if they are in range and in kill range. Replacing it with an probably avoidable usmash is pointless. If you must use usmash, aka they are too far away, bait the roll away most people will do and usmash them at the end of the roll. Trust me works more than you think it would.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Meh, IMO both are bad. I almost always follow up my Dtilts with either another one, a Ftilt, or a grab, since those actually tend to hit.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I never dtilt>fsmash either, I always consider the chance that my opponent doesn't trip and shields my fsmash, so I just run in and shieldgrab instead. If he trips, I keep running forward, since most probably my opponent will roll backwards attempting to run from me, and then I grab him.

This has helped me a lot in other fighting games, too. Whenever I knock someone down in let's say, Soul Calibur 4, I just keep running towards them and against their bodies while they roll around in the floor, and frametrap them into my grabs. It's awesome.

Triple R

Smash Lord
I never dtilt>fsmash either, I always consider the chance that my opponent doesn't trip and shields my fsmash, so I just run in and shieldgrab instead. If he trips, I keep running forward, since most probably my opponent will roll backwards attempting to run from me, and then I grab him.
Last I knew it was pretty easy to use dtilt and wait for them to trip and then forward smash. It's not like you have to guess if they are going to trip, there's plenty of time to react. But I'll have to try using dtilt and doing a quick shieldgrab and see if it works against the people I play against, sounds like a mixup people will actually fall for.

As far as basically running past people when they roll way, that really is the best way to go and will fool 75% of people. At lower percents I'll just grab them too. At higher percents I pull out an usmash for the kill.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Last I knew it was pretty easy to use dtilt and wait for them to trip and then forward smash. It's not like you have to guess if they are going to trip, there's plenty of time to react. But I'll have to try using dtilt and doing a quick shieldgrab and see if it works against the people I play against, sounds like a mixup people will actually fall for.
By the way, I don't mean dtilt>shieldgrab, I mean dtilt>run>shieldgrab.

Just to clarify, I don't wanna confuse anyone. ;)

Countcocofang

Smash Cadet
I'm a long time DDD player who currently is concerned with perhaps picking up a secondary for playing against Falco and maybe MK. Is going Kirby a bad idea? How do you guys feel about the falco matchup, is it getting more and more in falco's favor these days? And since DDD v. MK is something like 60:40, should I not bother learning Kirby for that match? (Somewhere I heard it was something like 55:45 MKs favor vs. kirby, is that right?)

Kirby: secondary for Falco/MK?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Definitely not for MK, the MU ratio has changed since MKs have learned to deal with Kirby, and is probably 60-40 MK at best. For Falco, it's pretty even if the Falco knows the MU well.

MK, Wario, Falco or even maybe Pika might be better choices for you.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I'm wondering. I've been seconding Kirby for a long time. I've not been to a tournament in almost a year and have gotten a lot better as both my main and Kirby. I want to be able to whip out kirby against some of my more difficult matchups with ness, but I wanna know exactly what they are. I know falco is okay, but is Kirby better for marth, ddd, wario, Ike, or some other characters that I might struggle with as ness? Main focus goes to the ones mentioned. I also wanna know how does one play against falco in the best way? I'm okay against falco as ness, but I don't have much experience as kirby.

Thanks in advance!

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Kirby goes even-ish against all those characters mentioned except Ike. We beat Ike with powershield lol.

If you're going to be going against Falco w/ Kirby your best bet is to go to the match-up directory and click the Falco export link to read the summary. Generally the whole match is a lot of approaching with crouch and shield. When you get to close he'll either phantasm (which can be read) or back up (and you just have to keep approaching). Punish the phantasm, rinse and repeat. If you steal his power you'll raep himz. SHTL lololollololol.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
If you somehow manage to inhale Falco, I'd say inhale break>footstool is more useful (unless you're nowhere near the edge). The lasers are good, but he still outcamps us and aren't as good as a stock lead.

Meccs

@Meccs_
So I'm relatively new to Kirby, and I was screwing around on With Anyone the other day, and managed to pull off really quick: dash startup > sh & turnaround hammer. Didn't think my fingers could move that quick *laugh* so like I'll dash left, then do a sh hammer to the right. Is there a name for that? (I'm guessing not) and is it actually useful? (I'm guessing just really for mindgames?)
I rarely hit with SH > hammer but hit more with the turnaround one.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
It can be a decent mixup sometimes, but more often than not, you're just leaving yourself open.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Hah, I do it all the time too, but subconsciously. I try to replicate it by doing it on purpose and it's much harder than it seems. o_O This is the whole process of what I do, to try and simplify it:

1) run to the right
2) turn left and jump
3) sideB to the right
4) wavebounce to the left

If you happen to do it right, it'll seem like Kirby runs away from the opponent, then does his aerial sideB while looking at his opponent while maintaining his dash's momentum. It's an amazing spacer and gets people off my back 100% of the time.... But when I try and do it on purpose, it's pretty hard to consistently do it. :\

It doesn't have a name since it's not really useful in a match, nor does it need a name... But if you wanna call it something, i guess the proper term would be a retreating sh sideB/hammer (your pick).

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Do you really need to wavebounce it? I thought RARing it did about the same thing.
Nope, yu could just RAR it. I'm just saying half the time I find myself wavebouncing it whenever I throw it out mid-match.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hellu Kirby Boards, you might be seeing me a lot here in the next little while asking questions about your character and how they perform on a certain stage.
Character boards seem to cycle through incomplete MU threads to new ones in hope to update them and finally complete them. This is the R.O.B. Boards attempt at completing a sufficient stage-discussion thread and I'm going to try my best to get accurate and thorough information, but I'll need your help. This will be the only question with an introductory. I just wanted to say hello and let you know that if you guys need info on anything for R.O.B. don't hesitate asking. ^_^

Anywho! Time for a Kirby question XD

Q: How does Kirby fair off on Delfino Plaza in general and against R.O.B.. Why is it good or bad? What can Kirby abuse and what might possibly annoy you that R.O.B. can do on this stage? On a scale of 1 - 10, what do you see Kirby's chances of doing well on this stage against R.O.B. 1 being the worst for you 10 being the best.

thanks guys =]
<beep3

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'd say roughly a 7 or 8. Delfino is one of Kirby's good stages. I'll elaborate more later, when I'm not running on like a half hour of sleep.

EDIT:

So yeah, Kirby can shark the main platform, as well as the apply pressure to people on the platforms scattered throughout the stage thanks to Uair and Usmash.
On the main part, Uthrow kills earlier thanks to the platforms close to the top. As the stage is changing, when the main part disappears, moves for everyone get canceled, and while it's an equal advantage to most/all chars, it allows Kirby to cancel smashes.
The water cancels stone, although I wouldn't attempt it/get in the water against ROB.
We can lock against all the walls. If we get ROBs power we can go under and shoot through the main stage.
All in all it's a good Kirby stage.

ROB would probably be better off taking us to Norfair (I believe you do well there, and we're not great on that stage.) or Halberd (Not a bad stage per se, but low ceilings are never a good thing for us.).

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Frigate Orpheon might be a better choice to fight Kirby with ROB.

Near the same rules apply with battling in Halberd with ROB vs Kirby, nice platform above and great space for him to use his laser and Gyro.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
That's true, FO wouldn't be bad either, although IDK, ceiling is much higher (honestly I feel the ceiling is the only thing that hinders Kirby on any stage.), and Kirby does well there too, has a lock and that Dthrow spike thing. Shenanigans aside, ROB can't camp the ledge on the right side, and that right side can make ROB gimpable if he doesn't recover high.
Seems to me like both chars do equally good there.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Point taken, since most of ROB's kills on Kirby is N-Air, with higher ceilings, it help Kirby live a bit longer. The flipped part of the stage might be better for ROB, but the odds of the stage flipping is very random.

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
Why is FO such a good stage for ROB by the way? I've never understood why they always CP me this stage since I do about as good as on SV there. Maybe are they supposed to camp in the middle of the flipped part, under the platform?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well, there's that, the fact that they can gimp a lot of characters on the side with no ledge, camp on the platforms that appear on the sides, they can chase you easily anywhere on the stage, and probably a couple other things I don't know since I don't play ROB.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Thanks a bunch for the help! xD
If any of you guys can add anything else, please feel free to do so!
It would be greatly appreciated!<3

MangoAndPals

Smash Cadet
Hello, Kirby Boards.

I am a "meh" smasher: I can destroy my friends, but I highly doubt I can beat anyone from SWF. Sooo... I want to learn how to play better, and logically I think that playing someone better than me should do the trick.

HOWEVER: If I am to play someone better than me, who should I play?

Should I go slow and start with Kirby's easier matchups (Captain Fabu- I mean, Falcon; Link; etc.), or should I face off against Kirby's worse matchups (Meta Knight, Snake, Marth, etc.)?

Thank you in advance.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Hey Mango, you could get a Kirby mentor; they have a program for it. >_>

Or play anyone and everyone near you that is remotely good and see who is near you on SWF.

Wifi never killed anyone either.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Hm,...prolly start with MK and work your way down the most played in tourny to the least played in tourny; ya dig?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Start with MK? ehhhh... I wouldn't since that MU is one I feel a MU you're better off CPing. Kirby vs MK is hard when the MK knows how to do it properly.

Top Bottom