• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
that's to good, man kirby can use guns better than the space animals were they shoot everything. the stir up, hey what else can kirby use better than the character?

platiepoos

Smash Apprentice
Not really anything. Bowser's fire?

Also, whenever i try to use SH Lasers, they just go over my opponents head, and it takes to long for me to descend after a shorthop. How should I use them properly?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
that's to good, man kirby can use guns better than the space animals were they shoot everything. the stir up, hey what else can kirby use better than the character?
His pill game is 10x better than doc's ever will be.

I think his needle game is as good as sheiks (i personally think it's BETTER, but its close).

Falcon punch is obviously better than Falcon's cause kirby can actually Falcon Punch recover. -laughs sarcastically-

I'd have to go back and mess around with some hats, that's all I have off the top of my head.

Not really anything. Bowser's fire?

Also, whenever i try to use SH Lasers, they just go over my opponents head, and it takes to long for me to descend after a shorthop. How should I use them properly?
That means you're not shooting as soon as you jump

As for how to specifically use them, i really just try to piss people off. Try to work into f.tilt/d.tilt range, but realy i just aim to piss people off with an absurd amount of lasers.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
When I SHDL with Kirby is start my first shot just before the peak of my jump and then fast fall into the second one. It gives me 2 lasers low enough to hit Falco and enough speed/control that I can react should Falco get in too close.

Never approach with SHDL as kirby as you can't really do anything out of it and it destroys your only real use for it, camping. Also, never full hop triple laser unless its an edge guard. 2 lasers will go over Falco's head so it's mostly useless.

Doc's Pills are amazing for Kirby as they bounce much lower than Doc's own. Same goes for Mario's fireballs. Kirby can also do the full hop pill->DJ pill <3

Shieks Needles are extremely useful for Kirby but only if you know how to use them properly. The timings are much harder since you don't have Shieks fast fall speed so you have to whens the right time to use them and how many needles you'll need. In general Kirby will need 3 needles to combo out a short hopped needle, and even then you have to be perfect on your execution. Single needles can work from a platform if you FF a Bair, but in general 3 is your lucky number.

Kirby's Flames > Bowsers Flames. Always.

Y.Links Arrows are useful on Kirby if you're playing on a smaller stage like Yoshi Story or FoD. The arc on them gives you good control even with an uncharged shot.

Samus Kirby > Actual Samus. She's such a huge target, that **** is useful. Plus you really need something strong enough to kill that *****. The only negative is that you lose your best approach against her when she's CCing(Inhale > CC, always) but then I guess you can just shoot **** at her.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
You guys, you know what would be awesome? Kirby as a teammate. (He would suck you up to have your power)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah *****h you better press b to pick Kirby! :]

ZetTroxX

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys; is this part of the forum still alive?
When I´m reading trough the few threads here every 3rd post is like "haha kirby is so stupid :D" **** it. Are still some real kirbyplayers here?
This weekend there was a big tourney in Germany ; SMACK. I sucked with Falco so hard and did not survive the ****in pools. In Germany nearly everybody plays falco, it´s so boring...

So; I decided to start from zero and choosed Kirby. I don´t care he´s "one of the badest charas". Kingkirby90 comes from Germany too; but he stopped playing. So there has to be some new crasy guy who´s really trying to take all these tier-whores with a ****ing kirby.

So I wanna know some basics. Who is still playing with the small dogde-ball and who has the best Kirby?

Stay cool guys ; )

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Do people still play kirby? Yeah.
- He's fun as ****. For people who dont mind playing bad characters, he's still fun as hell cause there's just a buncha crazy **** that works (Im working on getting the fastest SHDL down with falco hat, i mean why not? XD)

Do people play them with the real intent of winning? Not as far as I know.
- I know I dont, and I wont. That requires too much. Too many good reads, too many above-and-beyond reads, and with the way people are now, that's just TOO much effort when money is on the line.

Who's the best? Who cares?
- It's the same thing I tell Docs; nobody wins, so realistically who cares who the best kirby is? I mean I can think of some good ones off the top of my head, but it realistically doesnt matter. I mean to be even more specific, the better kirby players now-a-day dont main kirby (cept for maybe Reaper, i dont know if he still mains kirby only or not).

General stuff.
- Anybody with half a brain is going to exploit kirby's 2 big flaws. 1) Being horribly slow and very unmobile and 2) his overall lack of range. So that means they're just going to stay out of your range and run from you alot. With that being said, everytime you have somebody cornered and they are looking to get out, you have to make a good read to keep them in. The problem is, because of how slow kirby is (even in just jumping up), you have to make a ridiculously good read to do this.

- The one perk kirby has is that he has the lowest crouch in the game. I mean it's kinda obvious that he crouches low when you look at it, but he can duck a ridiculous amount of stuff. Keep that in mind. If you position yourself well and pay attention to what's coming, you can actually avoid quite a few things by just ducking.

___

*Shurg* I dunno, what kinda in general stuff were you actually looking for?

ZetTroxX

Smash Journeyman
You´re right, it takes a horrible amount of general smash know how to be successful with kirby. but I think it´s worth a try.

I think kirby could get fast if you play him really technical. Fod for example; many wavelands and edgecanceling all the time could make him a arial-spaming monster.

And his croach is also very useful. I think in specific situations this croach could save your life many times.I know he has just a few useful moves but if performed perfectly a average smasher could have a lot of problems.

Which stages are good kirby-stages? I´ve heard about this rainbow road thing, upthrow and then both die.is there something else to know about this stage?i´ve also heard about an area where only your opponet dies...

Yesterday i figured out kirby can do 4 fairs in one fulljump, is this a useful thing or should I just make a bair/upair and then the fair (which is way more easier) ?

I´m playing a "grabing" kirby. I think downthrow is one of the best attacks; techchasing with downair (or dashattack xD). Sadly kirby can´t jump after the upthrow; that would be an awesome combo-opener =/

Is the up-B good for edgeguarding?I don´t think so...xD but at the moment I still have no idea of kirby ^^

And the down-b...I mean it gives over 20% or something! Why it has the knockback of a moving staircase? xD Edgeguarding with this looks way to good, but I guess because of this attack your opponet probably can come back to the stage more easier =/

OK, I think this is enough for the moment ^^

Thank you verrry much if you could answer my questions ! =) (and sorry for the bad english xD)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah Up-B is good for edgeguarding, but I think I need to adjust my timing with it haha. (probaly wouldn't be good against Mario/Doc, lol)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Good kirby stages? Pick a stage. I mean, kirby's not so hot to begin with. Rainbow Cruise actually isnt THAT good of a stage for kirby, but kirbicides on the boat (and rainbowcides, lol), are so hilarious. It really comes down to preference. I'd imagine that for somebody who's gunna run away from you a small stage might actually work wonders for kirby.

The 4th hit of the f.air can be useful if your opponent doesnt block it (lol), but it's not exactly the greatest thing ever. It's still ok to approach with f.air sometimes, but more-often-than-not you probably want to be b.airing.

Up+b edgeguard is ok for certain situations, like if you're running to the edgeguard and that's the best thing you got, or if jumping out would put you in real danger (like against a sheik, or various other characters) If you have time, you have better, but it's not to say up+b is bad.

Stone.... yeah that's not good in melee at all, really. You've got to find dumb reasons to use it if you really want to use it. It is nice for recovering high to the ledge, but that's realistically it.

__

That's all just me, you ask somebody else, and you may get completely different answers.

ZetTroxX

Smash Journeyman
the sad thing is there´s noone else to ask lol

I´ll play kirby intensive at the weekend; then I´ll have more good questions about him^^ for now I´m watching videos, but there aren´t that much good ones... =/

ZetTroxX

Smash Journeyman
thanks reaper ;)

dogy, what do you think about edgehogging with kirby? I´m using the bair from the edge very often in both directions. when you do it away from the edge you can grab imidietly the edge again,with a rejump you can come back to the stage with the bair. Its a good thing accessory to the normal "fair comeback" to the stage. Upair is good for enemys who´re waiting very close to the edge. I think downair is too dangerous because if you fail you´ll get punished very hard.

What next? You can edgehog with the upair. Thats probably a good mindgame if you´re jumping very high and the enemy is looking for a sweetspot.You come down very fast and edgehog before the enemy can grab it.

Are you using the jump or the roll from the edge?I think both of them are slow and you could get hit way to easy.

At the moment I´m practising fulljumpfair 2 waveland. With this tech I might be able to attack a (shielding) foe and than move away very quick so he´s not able to punish me =) That should give kirby more speed.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I'll answer you when im not in the middle of working 4 shifts in two days @.@
Johns.
thanks reaper ;)

dogy, what do you think about edgehogging with kirby? I´m using the bair from the edge very often in both directions. when you do it away from the edge you can grab imidietly the edge again,with a rejump you can come back to the stage with the bair. Its a good thing accessory to the normal "fair comeback" to the stage. Upair is good for enemys who´re waiting very close to the edge. I think downair is too dangerous because if you fail you´ll get punished very hard.

What next? You can edgehog with the upair. Thats probably a good mindgame if you´re jumping very high and the enemy is looking for a sweetspot.You come down very fast and edgehog before the enemy can grab it.

Are you using the jump or the roll from the edge?I think both of them are slow and you could get hit way to easy.

At the moment I´m practising fulljumpfair 2 waveland. With this tech I might be able to attack a (shielding) foe and than move away very quick so he´s not able to punish me =) That should give kirby more speed.
Edgeguarding you mean?

Yeah, b.air is your BnB for it, especially of the stage. U.air is good if you can get out and catch somebody. D.air is actually real good, just dont FF it. (Hell, I could generalize by saying dont miss with it, but dont FF and you wont get wrecked for it).

F.tilt, D.tilt and D.smash are good for punishing missed sweetspots.

If you literally mean edgehog... you just grab that ledge. XD

Jump or roll? Depends on what im trying to do (depends if you're trying to just get off the ledge or edgehop) If you're trying to just get off the ledge, there way more options than just jumping and rolling.

___

FH F.air waveland Unless im mistaken, there's no way to hit a shield with that because in order to be able to waveland after the fair, you have to not FF it. It realisitcally wont make kirby "that much faster" anyway because the f.air takes too long and the waveland would be too short; but by all means practice, you might find a practical use for it.

Nashun

Smash Ace
Why would the waveland be too short?

Full-jump Fair has to be done pretty much just as you leave the ground in order to be able to waveland it. It's not too incredibly useful; maybe if you and your opponent are camping around looking for an opening, you can throw it out and if he's stupid he'll try to grab you. Which would probably miss. If he doesn't try to grab you, you're probably safe anyways. And if he happened to jump when you decided to do your f-air, you might even hit him.

When to people like to jump? When you have them cornered at the side of the stage.

Nashun

Smash Ace
I'm going to have to disagree with that. Kirby's wavedash isn't short (Kirby isn't too big, either) and it isn't bad by any means.

Edit: If you consider what Kirby is trying to do in that situation, 90% of the time he's trying to keep himself from getting grabbed. Wavedashing there does two things: 1) It keeps him out of grab range. Unless you're playing against Link, Samus, or Yoshi, you're not going to be in range of any grab if you wavedash correctly and 2) It makes him crouch. Which, if you happened to do it as they were doing their grab, makes Link's Samus's, and Yoshi's grab miss as well.

You're dedicating like, 30 frames to a wavedash that puts Kirby over 1 character distance away and keeps him in a crouching position.

Kirby's wavedash isn't isn't good.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
It being good or bad is really a matter of opinion. I think it's bad, you think it's good. If it gets the job accomplished for you, dont let me deter you from it; just handle your business.

___

30frames. It's not that bad unless you're including an attack with it. But that is the fault right there, frame commitment. Sure it can get you away from a grab if somebody tries to shieldgrab; but realistically all they have to do is call the waveland.

It takes you a character length away, every waveland takes you atleast a character away. Hell, every wavedash takes you atleast a character length away, that still doesnt make it great.

But again, that's just my opinion on it. If you get it down and you like it, more power to you. Im just puttin in my 10 cents.

Nashun

Smash Ace
It being good or bad is really a matter of opinion. I think it's bad, you think it's good. If it gets the job accomplished for you, dont let me deter you from it; just handle your business.
No, it's not a matter of opinion. If we're going to evaluate it, it needs to be with respect to other available, viable options. And in a general sense, there is no other sensible option when you want to 1)change directions while running, 2)gain quick, relatively safe movement while facing the same direction AND maintaining a standing position, 3)crouch while moving, and most importantly 4)move out of shield without using a stupid punishable defensive maneuver or jumping.

You're in your shield? You have 4 options. Roll/sidestep, jump, grab, or wavedash. Some characters can up+b. That's about it.

You're running? You can dash attack, shield, crouch, jump, or wavedash.

This is, of course, all in general terms without regarding Kirby's specific wavedash. It doesn't come out slowly (like, say, Falco's or Bowser's) because he doesn't take that long to leave the ground when you jump. It's not short - distance wise - comparatively to other characters (and other characters make use of it better), and it makes him crouch.

I don't know why you think Kirby's wavedash is bad. If anything, all his other options suck.

Trust me, I'm not going to stop doing things because you tell me to.

___
30frames. It's not that bad unless you're including an attack with it. But that is the fault right there, frame commitment. Sure it can get you away from a grab if somebody tries to shieldgrab; but realistically all they have to do is call the waveland.
30 frames is not bad at all considering it's a form of movement that is controllable and does not leave you in a vulnerable state. Kirby's roll and sidestep last longer than 30 frames and they leave you vulnerable. Frame commitment? Please. Wavedashing has the least amount of frame commitment in the game second only to standing still. And this is almost universal - not only pertaining to Kirby.

Wavedashing, 90% of the time, will not get you away from a grab is somebody tries to shieldgrab. I don't know what situation you're thinking of, but if you mis-space or mistime an aerial, you're going to get grabbed either way unless you crouch. If you want to "frame dedicate" any possible opening where your opponent can't shield grab your attack by wavedashing, all your precious frames are going to be lost in jump lag and you're going to get grabbed anyways. You don't wavedash to get away from shield grabs. You crouch. You run. You sidestep if you poked their shield late enough. You jab. You don't wavedash. That's just silly. If you're able to wavedash to get away from their grab, chances are they wouldn't have grabbed you anyways.

It takes you a character length away, every waveland takes you atleast a character away. Hell, every wavedash takes you atleast a character length away, that still doesnt make it great.
Wavelands are the same as wavedashes, if there's any difference at all it's intangible. Why are you acting like they're different?

The only reason why you say his wavedash is bad is because it's short. And it's not even short. If you're going to have an "opinion," at least come up with an argument that doesn't contradict pretty much every smasher out there.

But again, that's just my opinion on it. If you get it down and you like it, more power to you. Im just puttin in my 10 cents.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
Yup.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I say the waveland is bad in terms of distance. In speed, it's actually good (kirby's jump is faster than most characters.)

Im not saying it's not an option; it is an option. Compared to the other ones, it's not a bad option. I was just saying that kirby's waveland is bad because of how short it is.

For the record, wavelands are NOT the same as wavedashes, because you can perfect waveland (as in, you can waveland and hold completely horizontal once you're considered "in the ground), you CANT perfect wavedash (because once you jump, you're in the air.) Nitpicking? Yes. But it is true.

And yeah, like I said, it's bad because it's short. Alot of characters have bad wavedashes and still use them (peach, capfal), that doesnt mean there ISNT a use for it. But just because there's a use for it doesnt mean it's great. That's one thing you just have to accept when you play "lessor characters", you just have to accept that some of the things they do are bad and still work with it. Cause believe me, im going to see if i can work f.air->waveland stuff in. Im not going to turn around and say "holy God this waveland is good." (im intentionally saying lessor cause inspite of how people talk about this game, i still look at characters as good->better, not bad->good)

___

And i mean, to not sound like a complete *** and actually say something good about kirby's wavedash, it does give the bonus of keeping him relatively low to the ground, which is one of kirby's perks. It's movement that, for the most part, keeps him in crouch. When you have the lowest crouch in the game, that's a **** good thing. So that is a good thing about it.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Kirby's Waveland goes exactly as far as Captain Falcon's, it's just harder to time and you can't string it to other platforms due to his aerial speed, however the waveland itself is fine. Kirby on FoD can actually do some really cool things like Wavelanded Bairs or Waveland->Waveland giving him some actual speed.

Fair Wavelanding however I don't find useful. It's not that there aren't uses to the waveland it's just that the 4th kick is just more useful to me. Bair Wavelanding is where it's at, especially on FoD where you can do Full Hop Bair->Platform Waveland->Bair.

ZetTroxX

Smash Journeyman
I just thougt about the general adventage of an arial2waveland. I mean an enemy also could do an arial out of his shield, that has a bigger range than a shieldgrab. If you do a good waveland, and kirbys waveland fullfill that, you probably can get out of this area too.

Wavelandback2croach or sidestep;I think this is a good defensive move; and if you don´t wanna get punished in right after a missed attack of yours you really need some of that moves.

ZetTroxX

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I´ve got another question guys about the kirbycide with the neutral-b. I wanna kill my enemy so I jump offstage and wait till we´re out of the screen. He is still inside my lol so we both die. But sometimes he dies first and I can jump back to the stage.But sometimes again I can´t jump and we´re dieing at the same time. Is this due to the enemy, or randomness or what?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Aight, first off, dun double post. I mean, since I actually do look in here, I cant act like I dont see it. Just dont make me do work, please. :)

___

But to answer your question about swallowcides (neutral-b suicides), it depends on your opponents size.

There's this handy-dandy post of things you should already know about it and it tells you how many frames, if any, you have to jump after you swallowcide them. If your opponent is bigger than you, they'll die first.

So yeah, look at that post, read, profit.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
^Hi! Nice to have new people.

I like how we went from greetings to a waveland debate about Kirby.

What happened to SHFFLing? The only thing I ever used wavelanding for was to drop from one platform to another.

Dogysamich, you sound like Kirby should almost never wavedash. Am I forgetting something?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Oh **** no. The speed of kirby's wavedash is good, since he jumps faster than most characters (literally, 4 frame jump, that's better than half the cast). But the distance isnt so great.

So like, with what we were talking about (F.air -> waveland), that's not going to really get you away from people. But for like, coming in backwards and saying low, wavedashing is the ONLY way you can really do that.

If you space yourself well, you can still slip away from stuff by going out. It's just that kirby doesnt have a good wavedash like luigi/marios/ics/m2/etc

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
**** dogy, you actually get into debates in kirby gen discussion. we just all bow to you and accept your awesome knowledge in the doc gen discussion. :S

...also i agree that kirby's waveland isn't too helpful :p (mostly just so this wasn't 100% spam)

ZetTroxX

Smash Journeyman
I´m finished practising the fair2waveland now, after a short warm up I don´t mess it up anymore. I´ll fight some of my friends and I´ll see if its helpful or not

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
**** dogy, you actually get into debates in kirby gen discussion. we just all bow to you and accept your awesome knowledge in the doc gen discussion. :S

...also i agree that kirby's waveland isn't too helpful :p (mostly just so this wasn't 100% spam)
I f**king low-tier main kirby!! Im not claimin to be great with him or anything, but ****it I have a clue. It's not like I never play him or anything.

Kirby vs Ganon is my favorite matchup in this whole game. That **** is sooooooooooooo funny.

LIL' FREEDOM FIGHTER!!

ZetTroxX

Smash Journeyman
I´m gonna make a small video this evening. My Kirby vs. a CPU, so you can rate my poor movement and probably give me some hints what to do better. =)

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
^Video? I have waited three days.

Oh, and it's harder to give help if you play against a CPU. PvP helps measure proper atacking, defending, and the prevention of starting bad habits. You can practice on Lv. 1 CPUs, although it is still hard to give help.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
He clearly said he was doing it for movement purposes. >.>

It's actually fine to give advice on something like that vs cpus. Nobody really so it though. So if said video is just for movement, it'll be ok.

ZetTroxX

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys :) In which situationes should I use the Uair? I know it´s one of Kirbys most powerful attacks, but I can´t handle with its hitzone very well...

I´m sorry about the video; I actual made one,but this weekend some friends of mine came to my place and we recorded some "real" matches. I´m gonna open a thread right after this post ^^

Top Bottom