• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I guess I do not count as a SSBM Kirby player...

...anyways, thanks for the thread, Pink Reaper.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Wow it's really quiet in these boards...

I feel really bad because I've tried to pick up Kirby several times outside of Peach, Kirby is the only character with whom I have no clue as to what I'm doing, so I really don't have anything to contribute.

Like I've read all the guides and thought about it a lot, but in the end, Kirby's grab range is just too small and the fair and nair just don't work for me as approaches. I can kill people when I get them to the edge, but most of the time I can't.

Halp plz.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Why the hell would you approach with Kirby's Nair? Like, after ONE use you should have realized it was the worst possible move to approach with(other than maybe Dair) If you want a good approach, learn to approach backwards with Bair. Your best bet for approach is to wavedash turnaround in so your opponent expects an Fair and just space your Bair(You shouldn't get grabbed unless your playing someone like Marth.....who you really shouldn't be playing against with Kirby >_>)

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
T_T Dammit! I always approach with dair as Kirby. WHY DOES MY KIRBY SUCK?!

I dunno it's just really hard to combo out of the fai... but yeah... bair approaching would be a good idea... seems awfully inconvenient though... what about... dash canceled dtilts?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
T_T So much technical stuff... I don't even wavedash turnaround utilt with my mains... but okay, I'll try it out.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Yeah, pretty much only Bair and Utilt.

His Uair is great for a kill or setting up an edge guard.

His Dair is actually a very good meteor because of its duration its easier to hit with than most other characters

His Dsmash is good for taking out most characters without godly recovery(like, Jigglypuff >.<)

His Fair is sexy cus it has a hidden kick when you hit the ground which can screw with people trying to shield grab.

The main problem with all of those move is that they're "niche" moves, in that they're only useful in certain situations. In any other situation your basically just better off with Bair >____> Granted, just about every one of Kirby's moves is usable to an extent, but yeah, Kirby sucks(not a pun)

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
It's more technical than the stuff I have to do with Marth and Sheik <_<

I just wish Kirby had Marth's fair... maybe I'll come up with something good like... aerial reverse Swallows <_<

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
=/ How fast DOES it come out? SuperDoodleMan and Seanson like... don't care about Kirby so I don't know any of his hitboxes or frame data.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Im actually not sure because I don't have an AR to test. For all I know they actually come out on the same frame in the air and on the ground :laugh: all I know is that I've always had it easier in the air and that the actual inhale seems to come out on an earlier frame in the air. Granted, you lose a huge amount of priority in the air so I don't actually suggest using it unless you know it will work >.>

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Huh, t!mmy has some of the frame data in his guide but it's incomplete. Oh well.

What's with the dsmash? It seems like it should send people out, but it seems to send people up for me.

And where's the sweetspot for the usmash?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Sweetspot for Usmash is ******** close to Kirby's body, you have to be very close for it to work correctly. Dsmash has two hitboxes, the "Toes" which would be the very edge of Kirby's feet that send opponents low and away and the "Feet" which is the inside that sends opponents up.

Parker1006

Smash Journeyman
question about Kirby's mindgames and spacing. It seems like he has a really good dash dance. Should i incoroporate it, or use other tactics such as empty short-hops or WDing to mess with my opponent?

Omni_Smash

Smash Apprentice
Ok, a question about the f-tilt, do we like to use it at mediocre percentages like say 50% - 70% after an ariel or if they DI so that they are just out of up-tilt range?

Nashun

Smash Ace
ftilt for shield pressure after an aerial and for general grab-mixup. after a lot of kirby's aerials, opponent only has advantage if they shield grab so a well-spaced aerial can give you a nice 33/33/33 mixup. after a spaced aerial your opponent only has 3 options. shield, roll/sidestep, or grab/jump. if they shield, you can grab. if they grab/jump, ftilt will beat it. if they roll/sidestep, you wait and follow. its also helpful to note that waiting also beats their grab if they try to grab you after a well-spaced aerial.

recap-

opponent shield loses to grab, even with ftilt
opponent jump loses to ftilt
opponent grab loses to everything assuming your aerial was well-spaced
opponent roll/sidestep loses to waiting

ftilt is also useful to halt low to mid-priority approach.

Omni_Smash

Smash Apprentice
Wow!

Now that's the kind of people I need to be playing with but I'll have to wait, there's really no one that good in MT.

Omni_Smash

Smash Apprentice
WOOT! Fourstockage!

over the weekend I got to play my friend's fox who has been four stocking me for about two months, so I took a break from playing him and trained for two weeks. The match was awesome I WoPed him to death, reaper combo'ed the snot out of him and the best part was that 0% - Death killed him in more than a few matches because I got him off the ledge with a D - Smash (one was even from a teched D-throw) to a meteor spike on his charging fire fox.

I even did a Kirbycide for the win on two matches where I four stocked him.

I'll get some vids up soon but I just wanted to celebrate a major level up in my kirby play! :) even if it is still crap.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
****, congrats, can't wait to see the vid. ;p

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
Hi everyone, I'm back! I have not been on Smashboards recently (a month?), so I need to "catch up" (i.e., read about 5 posts) on SSBM Kirby news.

So...um...yeah.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
So, time to drum up some kirby dicussion.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u0wZxWPBuRs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u0wZxWPBuRs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Lets go.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
VCR.

Low tier Dazzle to capture (the red one, the low tier one)

Capture in Windows Movie Maker (cause i dont know any better)

Render in Sony Vegas (cause it's champ mode)

Top Bottom