• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

mood4food77

Smash Hero
hahaha gimpy, getting used to the bowser fsmash

anyways, does anyone actually try to combo from the swallow

i mean, at higher levels it'll work since most opponents will try to break out, so swallow, let them airdodge/use a move that'll miss, then abuse the opportunity

i take full advantage of this...works pretty well

just don't do it all the time

Jayferd

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure how he did it, but Simna figured out how to bair me with his Ness immediately after I had spit him out. It was immensely annoying.

It works well against people who aren't accustomed to playing Kirbys (like most of Kirby's strategies, unfortunately). Once they figure out that they can break out of the star whenever they want and have all of their jumps and full control... it can backfire.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Ness can DJC (Double Jump Cancel) his b-air right as he breaks free. Everyone I play against regularly likes to fast fall D-airs on me and the only thing I can really do is shield or maybe dodge. Against people who don't know how to handle Kirbys, I can usually u-tilt, U-air, or B-air them as they try to figure out what to do.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
sorry to bother this thread..i did search the thread first for marth references..anyways, edgeguarding marth, what are the best options

actually i'd say already that if marth is off the best option is to go off after him..but assuming you don't have time...what is the best on the stage edgeguard? is dtilt any good? will it trade with the dolphin slash or will you just get hit while he recovers?

also, can the cutter be used to outrange the upb? sounds ridiculously hard to time but it is an option...i'm guessing sh bairs work too.but that's basically not going to hit any lower or with more range than a dtilt spaced..so it's still a question of whether it trades or whether you just get hit for nothing.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Yes, going after Marth when he's off the stage is a good idea since one hit can really ruin his recovery. If you don't have time, grab the ledge and edgehog quickly. You'll be in a good position to drop down and b-air him with invincibility frames when timed right. And there's always the fact that he has terrible landing lag if he makes it back to the stage. Practice KK Kid's Marth Trick with the light shield -> edge hog.

Dolphin Slash usually hits Kirby first, though if Marth is going up too high you might have time to move in and hit with a d-tilt or d-smash before he grabs the ledge. You can also try crouch cancel countering the Dolphin Slash (usually with a D-smash for the counter). This seems to work best with fast-fallers or heavier characters like Samus who have broken crouch canceling.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
k cool

Practice KK Kid's Marth Trick with the light shield -> edge hog

don't know what that is..unless of course KKKid's trick is lightshield edgehogging...i didn't realize kirby could do it though. that's cool

SkaManifesto

Smash Apprentice
NNID
loonuhsee
I have a question, why do all the "pro kirbies" Neglect the d/ftilts? I play my friends and stick to the ground and use d/ftilts, and it's really affective. I mean i dont see many of the pros using them, and if kirby really is a character that wants to push his oppenent back, why not sticka to a tilt game full of mind games?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
if you start talking in ANY WAY how that thread was i'll close this too and i'll warn everyone involved

this thread will be under supervision

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
if you start talking in ANY WAY how that thread was i'll close this too and i'll warn everyone involved

this thread will be under supervision
o_O

and thus began the decimation of the kirby threads

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I have a question, why do all the "pro kirbies" Neglect the d/ftilts?
D-tilt and F-tilt are very important to Kirby's gameplay, but you can just run around and spam them at anyone who's any decent at the game. If your tactics are stale, then your opponent will take advantage of that, find a way to counter them (not hard vs. Kirby), and then proceed to pwn you.

Additionally, the F-tilt has 32 frames of animation, the D-tilt has 29 frames of animation and they cannot be L-cancel'd. Compare that to Kirby's aerials that have 7 or 10 frames of lag when L-canceled and you'll see that it's better to use tilts as follow-ups or when spacing permits.

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
I usually ftilt after a l canceled dair, or a very obious tech chase oportunity presents itself. Other than that, I'll ftilt to poke enemies that are too smash happy.

Nashun

Smash Ace
ftilt/utilt are usually used to stop poorly spaced approaches. once your opponent knows how to space himself correctly, interruptions with those moves get VERY difficult and VERY risky.

dtilt is nice and all, but it has noticable lag.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Why not F-tilt... or D-smash (especially with Kirby's toes). D-tilt should be used more to interrupt an attack. If you know you can get a free hit in, there are better ones to use.

Gimpy, I think you scared everyone away. >_>

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
actually all that happened was people actually started talking about the game, which is what this board is intended for...

AND WHATS THAT? A DOUBLE POST?!?!?

well i could warn you, but i'm just gonna use some ninja mod powers instead

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
actually all that happened was people actually started talking about the game, which is what this board is intended for...

AND WHATS THAT? A DOUBLE POST?!?!?

well i could warn you, but i'm just gonna use some ninja mod powers instead
i agree with both t!mmy and gimpy

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
That wasn't a double post Gimpyfish! That was me posting a day after my previous post but no one posted between the two... lol.

But now you're going to tell me to stay on topic so... >_> uh...
Boozer is cute.

*runs away*

Deserter

Smash Cadet
kirby should aoutomatically win when he eats ppl. because after your eaten you dont come out the some why you go in, if you know what i mean.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I totally disagree. They should just SD and lose a stock. That's much more fair.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'll see you all at Super Champ Combo! Wait, no one here is going (except Gimpy)? I'll see if I can get a match or two recorded. Go Kirby! :kirby:

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
if it wasn't all the way in the freaking west coast, id go :grin:.

obligatory advice: use the boost to get through

Top Bottom