• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
really? I mean roy may suck, but he has some good matchups.
Kirby doesn't have any of those... his best is like a 50-50 i think...

Massive

Smash Champion
Aerial Hammer doesn't combo into anything ever unless you ledgecancel it.
The fact that it works sometimes in matches is more akin to people not knowing how to DI out of it than it actually being useful.

To my knowledge only gannondorf and bowser can't direcly punish an aerial hammer, and your options are highly limited after you do it.

NEW KIRBY TECHNOLOGY involves a novel use for his wavedash speed. I was screwing around vs some marths last massivesmash and found that you can wavedash out and then back in before marth can recover from the lag of landing of an L-cancelled fair/autocancelled nair. You can even chase in between fairs and use dtilt to outrange him.

The technology itself is basically a wave-dashdance that is beneficial because it's faster than his actual dashdance and run-speed and you can still break into a run out of it.

SamusPoop

Banned via Warnings
so wd under marth d-tilt if he uses an air moves at said time. Underwhelming most wavedashes are faster than your run just the run is easier and has more range more offen.

Just a small spacing tool nothing too terriblely new

Massive

Smash Champion
This is actually an implication for a more effective dashdance-like maneuver, not just a simple anti-marth strategy.

The game is 10 years old, what did you expect? a new B move?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
The fact that it works sometimes in matches is more akin to people not knowing how to DI out of it than it actually being useful.

To my knowledge only gannondorf and bowser can't direcly punish an aerial hammer, and your options are highly limited after you do it.

NEW KIRBY TECHNOLOGY involves a novel use for his wavedash speed. I was screwing around vs some marths last massivesmash and found that you can wavedash out and then back in before marth can recover from the lag of landing of an L-cancelled fair/autocancelled nair. You can even chase in between fairs and use dtilt to outrange him.

The technology itself is basically a wave-dashdance that is beneficial because it's faster than his actual dashdance and run-speed and you can still break into a run out of it.
There is at least 22 Frames of nothing on 2 wavedashes(11 frames per WD when you're in Land Fall Secial) Marth Auto-canceld anything only has 3(? Not sure, cant remember what the basic land Frames are) and his Fair has 7 frames when L-Canceled. Even assuming he goes into something with larger start up like Fasmash out of it, that's only 10 frames before the move comes out. This is sort of the same thing as Air Hammer, it only works if your opponent doesnt know what he's doing. Kirby is awful :glare:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Since the tactic involved dragging people offstage, that's certainly a feasible addition.

So the idea is thusfar:
1. Run up to a character stood at the edge of a flat stage.
2. Jump forward in such a way as to "land" offstage just behind them.
3. Immediately after Y, hit B (still holding forward) so that the last 2 hits off Hammer take place when you're level with them in mid air offstage.
4. Watch them be dragged off after you.
5. Turn and grab the ledge.
6. Immediately drop.
7. Turn round.
8. Cstick Uair.
9. Recover.

Seems a little overcomplicated and that turning sounds like it would slow everything down. Maybe not viable then but still worth looking into IMO.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I don't see how that makes him too much better... I mean yea, thats cool and all, but how does that move him up so far on the tier list? I don't see it moving him up at all tbh.

Massive

Smash Champion
Interestingly, Melee Jiggly has most of N64 Kirby's moves.
So does kirby... lol.

The only difference is the nair/fair and how the knockback works.

Melee Jiggs has an identical moveset to 64 jiggs, everything is just better than before (except dair > rest).

ryuu seika

Smash Master
So does kirby... lol.
The only difference is the nair/fair and how the knockback works.
Melee Jiggs has an identical moveset to 64 jiggs, everything is just better than before (except dair > rest).
Melee Kirby plays nothing like 64 Kirby. Going back to 64 now is like learning a whole new character.

As for old Jiggly to new Jiggly, the moves are about the same aesthetically atleast but they play far more like 64 Kirby that 64 Jiggs.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
except when they hold left or right...

Upthrow is better for that, if you position it right.
but on a big stage like dreamland or FoD certain characters (Pika, Pichu... i forget who else) can escape near the bottom and still make it back (they can for fthrow and bthrow as well, iirc)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
uhm.. yea... thats why you don't see people use them in actual play too often...
Its really easy to escape them... then kirby just kills himself and they live...

Massive

Smash Champion
Kirby's only decent throw is dthrow, and a few members of the cast can punish it at lower %s (mostly Jigglypuff).

Almost every character can punish uthrow if they are at a low enough %.

Fthrow and Bthrow are free stocks for any character when you're above 60%. Most of them can pull out and do a quick smash or tilt and send you helplessly off the stage, as both of these throws leave you airborne with no jumps.

Top Bottom