• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Here's a post:

I'm having a Kirby Ditto MM with PP on the 11th. Teach me how to have a Kirby good enough to beat him.

Massive

Smash Champion
With a 5% margin of error.

Sometimes it can be as good as 95:5 (LUCKY UAIR) and sometimes you lose before the match even starts at a startling 105:-5.

Fox is OP as hell. I still consider the falco vs. kirby matchup 60:40 though.

Kirby's best matchup has to be Gannondorf though.
I would call it 50:50.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
It's not really all it's said it is. Those are the odds if your opponent knows the matchup. From what I understand, it's closer to 60 : 40 (still their favour) if they've never faced a Kirby before and that is the case a large amount of the time.

Massive

Smash Champion
It's not really all it's said it is. Those are the odds if your opponent knows the matchup. From what I understand, it's closer to 60 : 40 (still their favour) if they've never faced a Kirby before and that is the case a large amount of the time.
I'm sorry dude, but that really isn't true.

A Fox who has never played a good Kirby (99.9999% of them) will likely have very little trouble with a Kirby. Kirby is like jigglypuff that's easy to ledgeguard and has no rest.

The element of surprise will only work once, you will probably only get one swallowcide if any. All they have to do is jab > usmash you or ledgeguard you, both of which are easymode for a remotely competant fox.

Heck, even an uthrow > uair is a pretty reliable KO. As far as I know I'm the only kirby who can reliably do the anti uair DI, and that's because I'm actually a jiggs main.

This fight is not only very hard against an equally skilled fox, it feels almost unwinnable.

Bing

Smash Master
I find with fox the only real options you have are chaingrab. Fair and bair. then d-throw to uair. If you ever get a lead, swallowcide like a mother ****er.

I dont even use Kirby really anymore, taking everything more seriously, my worse used character is now doc.

But I still like talking here.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
welp, Fox/Kirby is easy as hell.
Pretty much every Fox player knows how to shoot lasers at you and run around. Its pretty easy.

I'd recommend just going Fox too, because Fox dittos are hella fun.

Massive

Smash Champion
I've had a fox struggle out of a swallocide and still recover on FD before.
He beat me back to the ledge and I had to up-b to recover. He naired me and I lost the stock.

Generally speaking a Kirby players shouldn't even think of swallocide as a viable option. It works great against scrubs but it's slow, easily punished, and dangerous against anyone who has any idea what they're doing.

Massive

Smash Champion
ive been playing around with this character lately how the **** do i kill
Dtilt > ledgehog, bair, uair, and dsmash work.

Dtilt will knock people with non-sweetspotting recoveries away from the ledge. It knocks characters like Gannondorf out of stage-land range and you can ledgehog for the kill.

Bair works about like jigglypuff's fair, it kills at about the same %s and should be used for ghetto WoPing and stopping recoveries. It works particularly well trading with Marth's Dolphin Slash or hitting Falco's Illusion.

Uair is the only thing that will kill at reasonable %. Combos out of utilt vs every character different %s, but almost always works. Works as a decent sheildpoke and has decent platform game uses.

Dsmash has both a horizontal knocking hitbox and a vertical one. The very outer edge of kirby's feet will send the opponent at an extreme horizontal angle that is usually fatal at >70%. The inner hitbox sends them upwards and has about as much KO potential as a sourspotted marth fsmash.

That's pretty much it. Everything else is just staying alive and abusing kirby's decent reach on tilts and aerials.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I've never used my kirby in a tourney and, despite how much I like him, I never will.
He's fun, but I'm not a good enough player to make up for his weaknesses.

McNinja

Smash Ace
I've seen a lot of people in videos fair right after any of their jumps when recovering. Can someone explain to me why this is done?

:phone:

Massive

Smash Champion
I've seen a lot of people in videos fair right after any of their jumps when recovering. Can someone explain to me why this is done?

:phone:
It cuts vertical height off the jump and maintains horizontal momentum.

You can do any aerial (except dair) and get horizontal distance more than you would by just jumping.

Fair is the safest one to do if they try to do something to you from the ledge, Uair will recover the most distance.

I usually uair when off screen then fair when I'm close enough that I can be ledgeguarded.

Bing

Smash Master
It cuts vertical height off the jump and maintains horizontal momentum.

You can do any aerial (except dair) and get horizontal distance more than you would by just jumping.

Fair is the safest one to do if they try to do something to you from the ledge, Uair will recover the most distance.

I usually uair when off screen then fair when I'm close enough that I can be ledgeguarded.
I didnt actually know that about Uair, I always used fair for the reasons you posted but not Uair.. hmm... thanks :)

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Many times, aerials and other air moves serve to preserve momentum that could be lost due to gravity and such. For example, Mewtwo's bair, I think, has the property of cancelling his upwards momentum but allowing him to travel much farther sideways. I might be wrong about Mewtwo's bair, but you get the idea...

Edit: Btw, can this same recovery trick be done with nair, as well?

King5280

Smash Journeyman
so,correct me if im wrong but, is it best to do it right after you gain all he upward momentum from the jump and then to jump again?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
The correct way is to jump and attack simultaneously.

also to answer bubba's question, i dont believe it can be done with Nair, that is i dont think Nair gains any distance, but even if it did Nair lasts so long that the trade off would never be worth it. Generally Uair > Bair > Fair in terms of distance but Fair is generally the easiest to do while still keeping you safe.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
can't believe people are still asking about the jump aerial stuff in 2012

King5280

Smash Journeyman
The correct way is to jump and attack simultaneously.

also to answer bubba's question, i dont believe it can be done with Nair, that is i dont think Nair gains any distance, but even if it did Nair lasts so long that the trade off would never be worth it. Generally Uair > Bair > Fair in terms of distance but Fair is generally the easiest to do while still keeping you safe.
okay i've been doing it right then. with both puff balls.
but strongbad people will always have to ask these questions as long as new people keep getting drawn to the game. including myself. maybe annoying to answer but probably a good thing for the community.

Top Bottom