• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby footstool

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Alright... long story short I am making footstool combo's. -_- (gets tired of typing an intro)

Dang I hate Kirby even more now. I know I will regret this but....
here is Kirby's footstool combo:

Fair> footstool> FF Nair> jab lock> FSmash

Uair> footstool> FF Nair> jab lock> FSmash

Looks legit but it is up to you guys to test it.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Urm...could you explain the actual combo better? Are we using FAir in the air? Short hopped? A video or something would be nice too.

saviorslegacy

Urm...could you explain the actual combo better? Are we using FAir in the air? Short hopped? A video or something would be nice too.
hmmm.. I might throw a video together.

Uair= perform a Uair on a Samus at 20% to see the set up

Fair= yes, it is a rising Fair

The two above is the set ups that I found.

The combo will look like this (Uair version): <- emotioncon is how I feel

Kirby will kick them off of the ground and footstool them.
As soon as this is done he will FF his Nair which will cause a jab lock.
Upon landing Kirby can use a jab to jab lock. If you are skilled enough you can jab lock the to the edge and end with a FSmash.

Devastating... and I hated fighting Kirby's enough already........

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I think he wants us to experiment...

Lameee.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I'll check it out tomorrow, my bro's playing Tales of Symphonia 1 on the Wii right now, and I don't want to kick him out.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
It's not so much stalking as it is "I play all of these characters." Don't flatter yourself.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Me and Gonzo already did substantial testing with footstool combos FOREVER ago. Believe me, they dont work. There is only a set few amount of characters Kirby can FF and hit with a N-air before they can roll away and the set up is just not worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK3COk9mgjc

saviorslegacy

Ah there you go bunny. That is pretty much what I am doing accept without the d-tilt.

To Straked: wow.......

:EDIT:
This combo is really easy WTH don't you guys use it!?

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Saviorslegacy, instead of making a topic for every character in every sub-board about this; why not make a general thread in Brawl Tactical Discussion with all of your discoveries/ideas? Because at this point it's getting kind of ridiculous how many of these you've made.

And yes, Straked does play a lot of characters. (Now if only he wasn't so bad with all of them.)

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
Is the d-tilt necessary to start the jab lock? It looks like its just there to build up % faster. I'll do it anyway, but it just seems outta place to me.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
F-air doesn't directly combo into anything, either, least of all a footstool and is easy to DI.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
F-air doesn't directly combo into anything, either, least of all a footstool and is easy to DI.
If you fair someone close to the ground and only hit them with the first two hits, it combos into a grab.

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
Nah, most aerials combo into grabs (uair doesn't), even dair.
Nope, dair->grab isnt a combo. Yea, most ppl fall for it cuz they usually expect a smash, but its really easy to get away from the grab. U can either tech the fall, or just roll far away enuff for it to not reach. Or, sidestep. It's not like the grab is unavoidable or anything.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
If you fair someone close to the ground and only hit them with the first two hits, it combos into a grab.
Only if they lift off of and then touch the ground again during hitstun in order to get the additional landing lag, which is very dependent on DI and them not being bad. Otherwise they be jumpin outs every time yo!

U-air is the only one that actually does combo into a grab consistently because vert knockback is mitigated by fall speed at very low % and its not too laggy and high damage/hitstun. D-air can technically combo into a grab if you cancel it perfectly at higher percents.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Didn't Gonzo test something like this and then conclude that Kirby falls too slow/his nair is too slow to successfully do this?
Sorta, he did but i tested it more and fount out you could jump shorter. I fount the first "true" combo from n-air onward on Samus. We then fount out there was only about 5 characters you can actually do this on. Only like two of them were "tourney viable" tho. So, yea.... pretty much useless.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Posted by me in the Kirby Backroom on May 27th at 1:16 PM:

1. go to training mode.
2. set Snake to about 34%
3. Fastfall Uair
4. Footstool him
5. Fastfall Nair so the weak part hits him
6. Jablock!

Not as guaranteed as the Sheik combo thing that was recently discovered, but hey if you can pull it off that's cool.

I only tried this out because I was fooling around, and yes I remember Gonzo doing something similar a looong time ago. I remember a Dtilt being in there before the jablock though, and it seems unnecessary.

Either way, this'll be pretty hard to pull off. You can get punished for the Uair if they block it, and they can probably roll away before the weak part of Nair hits. I was testing it on a standing CPU because I didn't have anyone else to test it with me.

I also tried it with Utilt and it seems harder to pull off than the Uair...they can probably airdodge.

Really though Savior, you don't have to post this in everyone's character boards @_@

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Fun stuff Asdioh, although as you pointed out it's extremely situational, like all footstool combos are. Which is why they really won't have much of an impact on the metagame. I think it'd be silly to practice them when you could instead be working on your spacing, timing, etc...

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Sry Asdioh, but Snake was not one of the characters that this would work on. He can roll away before kirby can hit with a FF'd N-air.

Off the top of my head i remember Rob, jiggly, kirby, and samus as being the only characters this works on. Perhaps G&W, but i think we fount out he couldnt work either.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I was just using Snake since he's the character I like to test stuff on the most. It's fun to beat him up.

And like I said, it was most likely inescapable.

If this only works on a few characters though, it's pretty much useless. :[

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
I'd say spend more time perfecting and training in the actual techniques that will actually make u a better Kirby player than wasting time on a pretty much useless combo. Just to say, it's not time wisely spent. =/

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
It's not so much stalking as it is "I play all of these characters." Don't flatter yourself.
Don't you say in the linked thread that you switched back to Melee?

Nah, most aerials combo into grabs (uair doesn't), even dair.
Actually, RAR Uair can combo into a pivot grab.

Only if they lift off of and then touch the ground again during hitstun in order to get the additional landing lag, which is very dependent on DI and them not being bad. Otherwise they be jumpin outs every time yo!

U-air is the only one that actually does combo into a grab consistently because vert knockback is mitigated by fall speed at very low % and its not too laggy and high damage/hitstun. D-air can technically combo into a grab if you cancel it perfectly at higher percents.
That's not it. Fair can combo into a grab as described, but only on tall characters. Short characters don't receive enough hitstun for some reason, probably because you can only hit them with one kick.

But yeah... ALL our aerials can combo into grabs, at least at certain percents.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
But yeah... ALL our aerials can combo into grabs, at least at certain percents.
I never use pivot grabs, so I wouldn't know... :D

I love kirby's ability to combo and string hits. I seriously don't know how he isn't higher on the list, it feels so wrong... :(

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I never use pivot grabs, so I wouldn't know... :D

I love kirby's ability to combo and string hits. I seriously don't know how he isn't higher on the list, it feels so wrong... :(
Meh, we'll probably rise, but not by much. We have very few **** matchups, most of our matchups are even, and Marth/Snake give us trouble.
Also, most of what we have are strings, and they depend on how good the Kirby and his opponent is.
Finally, no one makes use of all the numerous stage glitches/exploits Kirby has in this game, so no one knows about them, so SBR can't really take that into account.

Still... We do have very few bad matchups, do well against most high tiers, including MK, and have an easy time both racking damage and killing early. On top of that, our gimping game is great, as is our recovery. I'm sure we'll go up at least a little bit.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Meh, we'll probably rise, but not by much. We have very few **** matchups, most of our matchups are even, and Marth/Snake give us trouble.
Also, most of what we have are strings, and they depend on how good the Kirby and his opponent is.
Finally, no one makes use of all the numerous stage glitches/exploits Kirby has in this game, so no one knows about them, so SBR can't really take that into account.

Still... We do have very few bad matchups, do well against most high tiers, including MK, and have an easy time both racking damage and killing early. On top of that, our gimping game is great, as is our recovery. I'm sure we'll go up at least a little bit.
IMO, Marth isn't as hard as G&W. They're both in the "beatable" ratios, but Marth is closer to even than G&W... Or at least, that's what I've been experiencing.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Maybe you don't play good Marths?

Don't get me wrong, G&W is tough, but we do have answers to almost, if not all, that he can do. That is not the case for Marth.

Anyway, this isn't the place to talk about this. Come to the chat or bring it to the matchup/social thread if you want to discuss it more.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
If a ff uair doesnt work on some chars at 0% it should work at higher...

ive been thinking about this, and there are probably several different ways to set this up, such as

sh ff uair (at the right percent) --> footstool --> sh ff bair (so the weak hit hits) --> dtilt (causes a jab reset and forces a getup) --> sh ff uair --> repeat into jab lock fsmash

forward-facing utilt --> fs --> 1st hit fair (maybe) --> jab reset --> repeat into jab lock fsmash

The problem with our old testing was that we were only checking out characters at 0%, where the uair doesnt send them far enough off the ground, so they get back to the ground faster after the fs and can escape the nair

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Sadly, the higher the %, the more noticeable the enemy's DI will be. So the uair might send them a little too far if you hit them with it at 20-30%, not to mention people can airdodge/attack to avoid the footstool animation (when you do an attack (and some upBs), you can't be footstooled until the animation ends), or characters with fast attacks (MK's uair, Luigi's nair, ZSS's uair, etc) will simply hit you.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Kirby can combo footstool to n-air into a jab lock on nearly any character if his technique is perfect. If the opponent knows the timing of the footstool stun and when to roll and avoid the incoming N-air, it's much harder but, from my observations, not entirely impossible.

What makes this technique nearly worthless is the fact that you really cannot lead into a Footstool from any of Kirby's attacks. Chances are if you can footstool, the opponent can Air Dodge or attack you before you get to them and pull it off. If the opponent is bad enough, though, you might be able to get that Footstool on them after all.

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
Keep in mind that NOBODY expects to be footstooled in the middle of combat. Therefore, onc they do get footstooled, their mind will still be in the WTF phase, and i think it's safe to say that not many ppl will actually roll out of the fall.

But again, getting the actual footstool is the hard part. Good luck with that lol.

saviorslegacy

Keep in mind that NOBODY expects to be footstooled in the middle of combat. Therefore, onc they do get footstooled, their mind will still be in the WTF phase, and i think it's safe to say that not many ppl will actually roll out of the fall.

But again, getting the actual footstool is the hard part. Good luck with that lol.
Footstooling isn't hard.
This is what Sheik's has evolved into:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asztUr8gsI8

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Dude. I would've escaped that yesterday.

It seems a bit too slow. All he'd have to do on the floor was roll (if my guess as to the response time is accurate).

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
lolz at this topic comin back up again. It's no treally useful due to most tourney players having good spacing and since brawl + has no jab-locking its not useful their either.

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
Footstooling isn't hard.
This is what Sheik's has evolved into:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asztUr8gsI8
Keep in mind that ur doing all that against a non-moving Practice Mode CPU. >_<

Imagine trying to footstool a good player who constantly moves around, spaces well, and uses some sort of DI. In the midst of a fight, getting of a footstool ON PURPOSE is nearly impossible. Not worth going for while r trying to win a match IMO.

ChuyISChewy

Smash Apprentice
Laredo, Texas (population = 2 SSBB players)
Has anyone tried using final cutter really close to ur opponent that brings ur them down right behind u [third hit of FC doesnt hit]
and if done quickly, dtilt them and jab lock :3
it has worked a few times with me in offline friendlies P:

But I havent really experimented with it \:

Top Bottom