• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kings of Cali: NORCAL v SOCAL 8v8 predictions

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
This is gonna be a good crew battle. And I'll see it in person :3

kd-

Smash Lord
Wes and Fly are going to take at least 4 stocks each.

NorCal will slowly whittle the lead down.

SFAT will play strongly until Mango sends himself in for the kill. Then Mango will soften.

It will come down to 4 stocks each, PewpewU anchoring NorCal while Connor anchors SoCal. Unlike Genesis EC vs. WC crews, Marth proves triumphant over Fox with a two-stock.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I think it'll go to SoCal. It'll be a great match either way. Lot of exciting players to watch, hope MacD gets some playtime too.

Get PP and one of the Cali guys to do commentary?
We're actually doing something even better...

No commentary. All the singles/doubles matches will be commentated but crews will be entirely crowd cam/crowd mic. It'll be like you're there.

FC style.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
We're actually doing something even better...

No commentary. All the singles/doubles matches will be commentated but crews will be entirely crowd cam/crowd mic. It'll be like you're there.

FC style.
I highly approve of this decision.

Anyway, here are my keys to victory for both sides, ESPN-style:

NorCal
* Make the most out of character diversity and counterpicks; you got eight different characters compared to SoCal's five.
* Punish SoCal's rusty players; some are very accomplished players on paper, but haven't actively competed in several months.
* Have a solid gameplan vs Mango; if you allow him to run wild and take 7+ stocks, then your chances look slim.
* Maximize crowd hype during matches; especially for players like PewPewU, Scar, and Bob$ who seem to thrive on that.

SoCal
* Brush up on the floaties matchups; you have a Doc, Peach, Puff, and two Marths to deal with on the other side.
* Shake off the rust; Lucky, Connor, MacD, and even Lovage are all players who could get rocked if they play sloppy.
* Maximize Mango damage; a smart decision on when he plays could mean the difference between him taking 5 stocks and him taking 9 stocks.
* Be smart about when and where to utilize S2J and Fly Amanita; they are your only available non-spacies starters.

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
if socal didnt have mango i could see norcal possibly takin this but right now i dont c it happenin

Battlecow

Play to Win
SoCal will obviously win. Don't kid yourself. I have no idea who Sung666 is though, but he's a starter before stabbed and MacD... something tells me he's good.
>Doesn't know who sung is

>Knows with absolute certainty the outcome of the battle

*pats head condescendingly*

No but seriously:

-Lovage is very very very capable of choking, apparently

-Scar might go all The Deep

-Bob$ is the ultimate s2j counterpick

Fly might go ape**** though. Them icies.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I somehow didn't realize that socal had Fly on their squad =/

meh, still rooting for the underdog Norcal!

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
What I find most interesting is the matchup between the leads. Many of Wes' most notable losses in the last few months have been to Peaches (Bladewise, atma, Silly Kyle, Hanky Panky), and even then he's at least been able to use Falcon as a crutch. Wes has been on another level lately so maybe it won't matter, but now is the time to prove his doubters wrong. If he can beat Alan efficiently, Socal has awesome momentum.

If he loses though, things look dire. Socal would be down one of its absolute best weapons, and would face potentially disasterous counterpick scenarios. Norcal's character variety gives them this advantage: they are much more dangerous with momentum. Bob$ & PPU FD is terrifying for Socal's spacie heavy team, and controlling matchups the entire battle can give them the stock advantage they need to overcome the Mango anchor.

Wes v Alan will set the tone for the rest of the match. If Alan wins, hes default MVP, and if Wes wins, he'll make a statement his critics can't deny.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Wes v Alan will set the tone for the rest of the match. If Alan wins, hes default MVP, and if Wes wins, he'll make a statement his critics can't deny.
I agree Alan beating Westballz would make him an MVP of sorts, but... is Alan good enough that Westballz beating him completely means he doesn't suck against Peach?

In my mind Alan is just another Peach player and Westballz shouldn't have any difficulty beating him -- this is due to a huge availability bias though.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I agree Alan beating Westballz would make him an MVP of sorts, but... is Alan good enough that Westballz beating him completely means he doesn't suck against Peach?

In my mind Alan is just another Peach player and Westballz shouldn't have any difficulty beating him -- this is due to a huge availability bias though.
I agree that beating Alan won't completely invalidate his previous losses, but it would definitely help. As you can see in this thread, there are people who think Wes is absolutely free to Peach and this is the best possible matchup Norcal could have hoped for.

We'll see if they're right.

[sidenote: Alan's pretty freaking good dude]

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
people will be surprised if norcal wins, but they shouldn't be due to relative activity levels of some of the players on the socal crew, plus people generally being rather clueless wrt the ability/history/activity of players outside of their own regions

SFAT

Smash Ace
What are the official rules for crews at this tournament? ie. counterpicks/stages

because at that socal tournament last week, we did one ban which was weird as ****. so lay it out on the table crimson.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
Honestly it'll be ****. SFAT is one of norcal's best and he loses to stab and sung. johnny has shroomed's number. Scar is a wildcard.
let's bet on it (if you're going)

edit: i'm generally willing to bet on like any aspect of this. winner, stock differential, h2h matches, etc

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
What are the official rules for crews at this tournament? ie. counterpicks/stages

because at that socal tournament last week, we did one ban which was weird as ****. so lay it out on the table crimson.
Standard rules.

Strike the first match (Alan v Wes). Loser's team picks a player to go in. That player can either go random, locking their opponent to their character, or pick a stage and allow them to switch. This process repeats itself until one of the teams has no stocks remaining.

No stage bans.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I thought characters were locked? Why post the character head next to the player name then
They are locked to a degree. You can only switch if you win a match and the opponent picks a stage.

But anyone that is sent in has to play their character. For example, if MacD is in with 2 stocks left, Zhu can't be sent in as Fox. He has to go Falco. And if he chooses a stage, MacD is allowed to switch.

SFAT

Smash Ace
Standard rules.

Strike the first match (Alan v Wes). Loser's team picks a player to go in. That player can either go random, locking their opponent to their character, or pick a stage and allow them to switch. This process repeats itself until one of the teams has no stocks remaining.

No stage bans.
What are the stages that are on random? because i thought it was just the three big stages. FD, Battlefield, DL64

Bones0

Smash Legend
Crews rules have been so awful for so long it's annoying me. Random should NEVER be an option in a competitive environment...

- Strike for first match.
- Losing player's crew sends in a new player.
- Winning player bans 1 stage (out of the 5 neutrals and PS).
- New player chooses a stage.
- No character changes.

If you must have character changes, then have this as an alternative:

- Winning player OPTS to ban no stages.
- Winning player changes their character.

This way if you have Hbox being sent in vs. someone like M2K who goes Fox vs. Jiggs, M2K can still switch to Fox, but he gives Hbox a better CP choice.

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
Crews rules have been so awful for so long it's annoying me. Random should NEVER be an option in a competitive environment...

- No character changes.
i like this more as well

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
What are the stages that are on random? because i thought it was just the three big stages. FD, Battlefield, DL64
All 6 legal stages.

Alan and Wes will strike from the 5 neutrals.

- No character changes.

If you must have character changes, then have this as an alternative:

- Winning player OPTS to ban no stages.
- Winning player changes their character.

This way if you have Hbox being sent in vs. someone like M2K who goes Fox vs. Jiggs, M2K can still switch to Fox, but he gives Hbox a better CP choice.
Bans are dumb as **** in crews and take out a ton of strategy. Counterpicks are at the heart of what makes crews fun/interesting. Don't get outcoached.

But thats besides the point. These are the rules we are going with. Its not up for discussion.

Bones0

Smash Legend
The only thing my suggestion changes is that the challenging player chooses their second best stage instead of going random and getting lucky or unlucky. Random takes infinitely less strategy than giving the defending player a ban along with the option to not use the ban in order to change characters.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
The only thing my suggestion changes is that the challenging player chooses their second best stage instead of going random and getting lucky or unlucky. Random takes infinitely less strategy than giving the defending player a ban along with the option to not use the ban in order to change characters.
Thats cute.

But thats not the ruleset we are going to use.

We're not going to be tinkering or experimenting with rules at this crew battle. We're going to use the tried and true formula that has given us dozens of epic crews matches in the past. I think everyone will be pleased with the result.

Top Bottom