• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kind Code: Nintendo's way of putting GameFAQs out of business since 2009

Deception

Smash Ace
Once again, the stupidity of this generation of gamers continues to astonish me. OH NOEZ, NINTENDO IS PUTTING IN AN OPTIONAL HINT SYSTEM, THEY MUST HATE ME. Not to mention this is still an idea of Nintendo's, so we can't say anything about it affecting game quality in anyway. Miyamoto's been wanting a way for both casuals and hardcore (or should I say whiney?) gamers to enjoy the same game, not having to make separate games for both crowds. This is an idea that has potential to do that, so don't diss it because you think all games must be completely hardcore to be good. Games are for entertainment, and this is a way for more people to share that entertainment. If you don't like it don't ***** about it.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
If you don't like it don't ***** about it.
Sorry, "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all" doesn't apply here. This is an idea that could alter the future of video games, and not in a good sense. *****ing is exactly what this matter needs, and deserves.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Sorry, "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all" doesn't apply here. This is an idea that could alter the future of video games, and not in a good sense. *****ing is exactly what this matter needs, and deserves.
Nintendo doesn't alter video gaming. The population does.

Not much a forum with 100,000 people can do to alter the rest of the worlds stupidity when it comes to pressing some buttons.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Human stupidity, I'm pretty sure people are getting dumber by the second. I was at Smith's marketplace just today, and as I was leaving the store, I heard two people ***** about about how hard the self checkout station was to use.

first a man said "So do I wait for a wait for a cashier when I'm done scanning my items" to which the assistant replied, "you are the cashier sir."

At the same time some woman was asking "Why won't the computer take my money." to which the assistant replied, "you have to select cash on screen before you can pay with cash."

I kinda felt bad for the assistant. the purpose of her job is to address the concerns of blithering dumb *****, whom this system is apparently for. Yeah, this is sad more than anything.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
That's exactly what I meant. SWF and only SWF should ***** about this, right.
As long as were on the same page.

I mean yah, there are maybe 1 million more other people out there complaining. But that's only 1 million. (No sarcasm, 1 million isn't a lot. There probably isn't even that many... maybe)

I laughed at the story above (or on the last page).. but when they ask do I wait for the cashier when they're done scanning, it's reasonable. At my wal-mart you sometimes have to. I might be thinking when the machine is messed up though.

Either way, the clicking of the pay with cash button should be obvious.

I stand corrected.. I guess..?
Nvm.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
As long as were on the same page.

I mean yah, there are maybe 1 million more other people out there complaining. But that's only 1 million. (No sarcasm, 1 million isn't a lot. There probably isn't even that many... maybe)

I laughed at the story above (or on the last page).. but when they ask do I wait for the cashier when they're done scanning, it's reasonable. At my wal-mart you sometimes have to. I might be thinking when the machine is messed up though.

Either way, the clicking of the pay with cash button should be obvious.
1 million out of 34 million is +- 3% of the fan base. You also take into account that the people annoyed with this are the people who spend a lot more money, then yes, it matters a lot.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Let's not forget that the casual market, which this is geared towards, doesn't care what they do. The hardcore gamers do. If the hardcore gamers ***** about this, Nintendo should worry about their future beyond the Wii.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
This is the single worst idea I've ever heard. You buy the game to play the game. Not to say 'oh well, I dont like this part because I actually have to think so the computer can do it for me!'.

I don't care if it's optional. This isn't gaming.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I don't understand how this is a bad idea. In the new games it would be totally unnecesary, but I desperately needed this sort of system in place when I tried to play through the unintuitive mess of LoZ OoT without a strategy guide, in addition to using it to find the metal box in Super Mario 64, or discovering "look into the light" for the flight cap. Heck, I would have liked to see this in Twilight Princess; it took me ages to realize that you have to hold A to beat the goron guard rather than press it repeatedly for the grab to work. Not only that, but it would enable me to see the battle motion controls for Okami; I never got the hang of using the sword in that game. In fact, it would simplify the learning curve on the motion controls for every game. Also, I really needed hints for Phoenix Wright: Justice for All - That game was NUTS without hints, and I found myself turning to the internet AT LEAST once per trial.

Even if the games have absolutely no change in difficulty, having a resource for solving puzzles readily available is much better than forcing players off the game and onto the internet for the puzzle that's just too hard.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
BAWWWW NINTENDO FANBOY REMARKS BAWWWW
Are you so much of a fanboy that you can't see that this is not a "to each his own" situation?

This could potentially radically change the entire future of gaming. If Nintendo adopts this policy strongly enough, and becomes successful enough with it, and other companies adopt it, we're facing the future of gaming here.

It ruins the entire point of video games, and this BLATANTLY shows that Nintendo has no regard for the actual media anymore, just money. They're a business, but...SERIOUSLY?!

It's like if every book came with the option to watch certain scenes rather than read them. Books can have more depth, can be more descriptive, can be longer, and don't have to be able to be portrayed visually by artificial means or by actual means. All it takes is words. But it's easier to just watch the scenes, isn't it?

The comparison is not precisely the same, but the point is still similar because it changes the media completely. Yes, it's optional. Blah blah blah. It still makes video games interactive movies. The option shouldn't even be given because it defeats the purpose of the game.

If you're too god**** lazy to figure out how to do things in game, DON'T ****ING PLAY VIDEO GAMES. This is RIDICULOUS.

Nintendo doesn't alter video gaming. The population does.

Not much a forum with 100,000 people can do to alter the rest of the worlds stupidity when it comes to pressing some buttons.
People commonly use this argument and I'm still confused as to how it's relevant.

Okay. Let's say that nothing we ever say on this forum will ever affect anything. Why are we here? Because we enjoy discussing things here -- or at least, I thought that's why. When people debate politics in the Debate Hall, and argue against a certain policy, do they think that saying that is going to rid us of said policy? No, they don't. So why does everyone take that approach to video games? I don't know why, but it's not the right way to approach it.

I don't understand how this is a bad idea. In the new games it would be totally unnecesary, but I desperately needed this sort of system in place when I tried to play through the unintuitive mess of LoZ OoT without a strategy guide, in addition to using it to find the metal box in Super Mario 64, or discovering "look into the light" for the flight cap. Heck, I would have liked to see this in Twilight Princess; it took me ages to realize that you have to hold A to beat the goron guard rather than press it repeatedly for the grab to work. Not only that, but it would enable me to see the battle motion controls for Okami; I never got the hang of using the sword in that game. In fact, it would simplify the learning curve on the motion controls for every game. Also, I really needed hints for Phoenix Wright: Justice for All - That game was NUTS without hints, and I found myself turning to the internet AT LEAST once per trial.

Even if the games have absolutely no change in difficulty, having a resource for solving puzzles readily available is much better than forcing players off the game and onto the internet for the puzzle that's just too hard.
Yes, games are difficult. Some can be very difficult. That's the point. If every tough puzzle in the game, you just look up the hint you get NO satisfaction from beating that part, and if you do it enough, for beating the game at all. I know because I consistently used strategy guides thoroughly for every game I played for years. Hell, I didn't even run into trouble and needed it for some, I just picked a game up, picked up the strategy guide with it, and continued from there.

Now I feel immoral if I solve even one puzzle using a guide, unless it's something reasonable, like in Phoenix Wright when I couldn't find out which piece of evidence I had to present and it turned out it was one that was a completely roundabout way to prove the point. That was the only thing in the game I looked up. (That's a completely separate example -- it was the first one, not the second, so I'm not trying to compare it to you. I have the second game but haven't played it yet, so I can't judge either way on that.)

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Yes, games are difficult. Some can be very difficult. That's the point. If every tough puzzle in the game, you just look up the hint you get NO satisfaction from beating that part, and if you do it enough, for beating the game at all. I know because I consistently used strategy guides thoroughly for every game I played for years. Hell, I didn't even run into trouble and needed it for some, I just picked a game up, picked up the strategy guide with it, and continued from there.

Now I feel immoral if I solve even one puzzle using a guide, unless it's something reasonable, like in Phoenix Wright when I couldn't find out which piece of evidence I had to present and it turned out it was one that was a completely roundabout way to prove the point. That was the only thing in the game I looked up.
...Well, the question becomes "do you want your hint readily available or do you want to go to the internet for it?" when it comes to those challanges in which it is reasonable to look such a hint up. In the new games the hints are not all that necesary, but games such as LoZ OoT or Super Mario 64 had many parts in which the expectations placed upon the player were simply unreasonable.

I personally agree that there are no challanges in LoZ TP that required this. However, I could not find all the Poes nor all the golden bugs on my own, and to attempt to do so would have taken all the fun out of playing the game. For this, such a system would have been helpful.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
*sigh* Hardcore gamers really need to get used to the fact that that unfortunantely, we are not the majority gamer anymore (especially for Nintendo's consumer base).

Really, it's surprising Nintendo even says they want to continue holding on to hardcore gamers when they could just COMPLETELY blow us off.

Wolfgang457

Smash Journeyman
I think people misunderstand what this is (though I don't blame them). It's not simply pressing a button to let the computer do it for you that's a seperate thing from the main game. According to the patent the game will have hints that based on a current flowchart may not be for every single puzzle in the game and also may be based on a timer.

As for the computer playing portion that's part of a seperate mode called digest mode which isn't available from the start but more videos are unlocked based on the time you play. When you choose to play a digest video it gives you all proper stats and gear and you're not allowed to save and will be seperate from your main game file. It's pretty much the same kind of concept Ikaruga used with tutorial vids that you unlock as you progressed only you're allowed to jump in to see if you can finish on your own.

Then there's scene select mode which I believe is unlocked after you beat the game and allows you play certain parts of the game. I personally like this as now in a Zelda game I can play through my favorite parts without going through the whole thing.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works but I may be slightly mistaken. Just in case here's the NeoGaf thread I read through where they break down the patent to try and understand it.

Thread on patent

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
There -are- people who WILL hit that **** HINT button every now and then no matter their age.

You cannot deny that. It takes away the game in video game.

Narukari

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I'm suprised at how many people think this is that bad of an idea.

I would love this kind of a system to come out. Sadly now that I am getting older and go to college/work a full time job, I can't play games 30-40 hours a week like I used to. It would be awesome to come home, lay back and watch someone else grind a few levels in an RPG and progress through the next dungeon.

I used to think that games are challenging (like the old mario's/zelda), but after playing the new Wind Waker/ Twilight Princess, I felt like all the challenge in the game was gone. It felt like it was just a movie that required me to operate my hands to proceed. After a while I wanted to play the games of my youth again, but guess what? They were easy to me too. Sure the new games have gotten a bit easier, but I think it mostly that I have gotten much better at gaming. I eventually hit a point where no skill is required of me to beat anything that doesn't have a 2nd person opposing me.

Sure there are a few diamonds in the mess of games. I really enjoy Capcom for making games that make me sweat a bit.

All RPGs make me feel like I'm watching a movie that is forcing me to work to see the story. I would love an opportunity to grab my books and start studying while a computer goes through the story for me. I could glance up whenever something relevent to the story happens, and continue studying whenever any grinding/dungeon crawling sessions start.

If anything, I would love for them to expand on this system. Maybe set up an AI that actually plays through the game, instead of just a movie of the game being beat. If they let me make the decisions on where the AI goes that would be even better, I could tell an AI in a Final Fantasy game when to grind for some levels, and when to progress through the story. This is about as much interaction I have with the game anyways on an intellectual level, so why force me to press the A button 10,000 times to reach the same result.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
There -are- people who WILL hit that **** HINT button every now and then no matter their age.

You cannot deny that. It takes away the game in video game.
Are YOU one of those people?

No? Then why are you complaining? You're not the one who isn't getting the game taken out of video game.

A_man13

Smash Master
Please let this be optional! As it's been said, watching the game being beat is not playing a game; it's watching a movie and with very few acceptions should that be the focus of a game.

Doesn't nintendo realize that once people understand and get tired of the casual games they will move on to tougher games (of which nintendo as of now is lacking)? They will switch to PS3 or Xbox, realize what has been spoonfed to them isn't top grade, and never buy a wii game again. Sure milking to the casual gamer has worked and will continue to work for some while, but the minnute casual gamers make the swap, Nintendo can't milk the casual audience for their profits.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Please let this be optional! As it's been said, watching the game being beat is not playing a game; it's watching a movie and with very few acceptions should that be the focus of a game.

Doesn't nintendo realize that once people understand and get tired of the casual games they will move on to tougher games (of which nintendo as of now is lacking)? They will switch to PS3 or Xbox, realize what has been spoonfed to them isn't top grade, and never buy a wii game again. Sure milking to the casual gamer has worked and will continue to work for some while, but the minnute casual gamers make the swap, Nintendo can't milk the casual audience for their profits.
It IS optional.

And this is clearly for the transition of casuals into (or bridging of) core and hardcore gamers. If this succeeds, Ninty will be able to have more TRUE games on the Wii with actual difficulty and complexity (as oppossed to dumbing the game itself down to appease casuals while pissing off core and hardcores like they've been doing *coughtwilightprincess*cough).

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Wow, I'm suprised at how many people think this is that bad of an idea.
Why? Okay, so you can watch the game played for you. While I will admit that is something that interests me and that I'd probably enjoy, it shouldn't be available in-game. If you want to watch the video on YouTube, that's fine. If you want to look up how to solve a puzzle on GameFAQs, that's fine too. But when the game developers say "Here! You have how to beat the game right in your hands!" it devalues the entire game. It makes the playing of the game optional, which basically renders the entire video game experience moot.

It IS optional.

And this is clearly for the transition of casuals into (or bridging of) core and hardcore gamers. If this succeeds, Ninty will be able to have more TRUE games on the Wii with actual difficulty and complexity (as oppossed to dumbing the game itself down to appease casuals while pissing off core and hardcores like they've been doing *coughtwilightprincess*cough).
No, this is clearly so they can profit off the casuals from the hardcore games.

Nintendo will BE ABLE to have tougher games. But it's much easier for them to make crapfests like Wii Music, rather than intricate ones like Zelda or Metroid. Don't kid yourself.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Are YOU one of those people?

No? Then why are you complaining? You're not the one who isn't getting the game taken out of video game.
Yes, actually, we are. It affects everyone. And the community.
---
Firus knows where it's at. Nintendo is stooping down to a new level of lameness now ever seen in video game history.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Wow, I'm surprised so many people are offended by this idea. If you don't like the feature, don't use it. It's not going to beat you up while you play your game.

Personally, I like it. Some genres are pretty annoying to play at times. If it saves me the effort of having to go on gamefaqs, good.

I remember playing Zelda: Four Swords with my friends one night. All four of us got stuck at this one part and simply could not work out how to get across a hole. We were all lazy and stubborn, and instead of turning on the computer and finding the answer, we just tried and tried and tried for 90 minutes. Finally, we looked it up - the FAQ simply said jump over the hole. This still made no sense and we tried for another 15 minutes. Eventually we realised you can pick a person up and jump across the hole while carrying them!

It was dumb because no one knew that was possible and we lost a good hour of fun. We never really got back into the game from then on either. A help video would have been useful.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Wow, I'm surprised so many people are offended by this idea. If you don't like the feature, don't use it. It's not going to beat you up while you play your game.
Let me see if I can put it this way...

If there were an option to make all characters nude (in detail) in a game, would you be offended? You don't have to make the characters nude, but does the presence of such a thing not offend you?

Also, your solution was to not be lazy and look on GameFAQs 90 minutes earlier.

But the problem is that most people will succumb to it. If you can simply see the hint without getting off your ***, how many people are going to run into a problem, attempt for a minute, and then watch the video to see what you're supposed to do? Even I would probably succumb to it every now and then. I don't want that. It's good that it takes some effort to track down strategy guides/videos for the game. That way you can't just ruin the game on a whim.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
The way I see it, it could be useful.
I beat the game my first playthrough.
Then later I feel like going to fight say Ganondorf again for kicks so im lick alright lets just skip ahead.
So boom im at the final boss, no tediousness needed.
I mean in LoZ you only get 3 saves, and since I have sinblings it's really just 1 save for me.
Being able to just go to whatever part in the game I want quickly, might not be a bad thing.
Then again I think thats what the Scene menu is saying >.>
The Digest thing...whatever, it just means that when the little sisters are complaining "It's too hard"
I can say "Go press the dam Digest"
Not that I dont appreciate people working at it until they get better, but really, it just means less complaints.
Not only that, this could break Gaming (unlikely though IMO) into an even broader view point, when Grampa Fred, can "Play",
I still think true difficulty modes (with puzzles adjusted for difficulty) is the real way to make people happy.
Ah It's too hard
"well go on easy mode nub, the water temple only has 1 puzzle in easy mode....it involves pushing 1 single pillar"
"well Awesome!"
"K I just beat the game...what now?"
"Try Normal mode Nub"
"Wtf This is much harder"
"Go back to easy mode then"
"No, no, give me a moment I got this"
"Got it yet?
"Ya...im going to Hard soon"

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Let me see if I can put it this way...

If there were an option to make all characters nude (in detail) in a game, would you be offended? You don't have to make the characters nude, but does the presence of such a thing not offend you?

Also, your solution was to not be lazy and look on GameFAQs 90 minutes earlier.
Why does it offfend you? Please don't say BECOS DEH CASUAALS WILL PLAY MA GAMEZ. They aren't in any way harming your experience.

I found the ''hints'' in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess to be far more intrusive than access to a video. In these Zeldas, Nintendo more or less told me every solution, without me asking for help.

Sure, I was lazy in the game. I don't dispute that. But my point is that this feature is superior to a basic text file on the internet. Hence, I like it. Nintendo haven't even implemented it, so it's a bit strange to already claim it as a pile of offensive rubbish.

You don't know what the feature is going to help with exactly, you don't know if there are rewards for not needing it, it might double up as a replay feature and it might remove the more obnoxious ''tips'' that Zelda games currently have within the dungeons. Tell me where I should be offended again?

edit: btw, the first sentence was more a comment to the whole topic than you.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Yes, actually, we are. It affects everyone. And the community.
---
Firus knows where it's at. Nintendo is stooping down to a new level of lameness now ever seen in video game history.
You're basically admitting that you would INTENTIONALLY "ruin" the game experience for YOURSELF because the option is there. That even though you hate this optional feature, you would use it then get mad because it was there?

I hope you can see what's wrong with what you're kinda saying. It's laughable.

Oh my God! I only read the first post, but ****************************!!!!!! They're taking the interaction out of an interactive media. I don't know about most gamers, but I ****ing love dedicating 10 to 20 hours of research and practice to accomplish something awesome in a game.

I've already stopped caring about post-2006 NINTENDO anyway... so why did I post?

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Oh my God! I only read the first post, but ****************************!!!!!! They're taking the interaction out of an interactive media. I don't know about most gamers, but I ****ing love dedicating 10 to 20 hours of research and practice to accomplish something awesome in a game.

I've already stopped caring about post-2006 NINTENDO anyway... so why did I post?
Why do you ignore this is optional?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Apperantly it's alright for Final Fantasy and Metal Gear to be just one big cinema and still be considered hardcore games, but when Nintendo makes it solely optional, they're abandoning the hardcore. lol

Why do you ignore this is optional?
You really love that "I suck too much so tell me the answer button" defense too much, huh?

1. I don't want any temptation for help
2. cheat videos take up memory on the disk
3. I don't want my screen cluttered if this system ever tries to tell me that a cheat video is available for the problem
4. Video games are becoming too uninteractive. Just like watching a movie, and I hate movies. Video games are about interacting with, ah *** it. let me cry about this at my own home.

K64

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo is this close to losing it, but I'm glad that it's optional. I'd rather read and not watch so I won't be too spoiled. Something that would bug me is people saying that they beat a game in one day. And all the while, they had their hand held.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Instead of figuring out how to allow 6 year olds to beat a game that really is easy, nintendo should be trying to figure out what would be a GREAT idea for a game not something like this.

Darkslash

Smash Master
I don't know why but when Nintendo does it every one cries and whines. When Sony or MS does it every one praises them. The thing will be *cues broken record* optional. It won't get past certain parts with out the user doing them. Its really a hint system. Telling them to "push Block A to hole A" I really don't know what the big fuss is about. If this is going to solve some one's Block fine with me. It won't **** up the game.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Instead of figuring out how to allow 6 year olds get help on their homework when they have dyslexia, parents should be trying to figure out what would be a GREAT idea for a more homework not something like this.
Why do you hate helping. lol

And it's not like the Nintendo 'hardcore 'buys anything since the N64 other than Mario or Zleda anyway. lol

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
One one hand, this could very well mean the return of challenging Nintendo games. I REALLY want to see another Mario 2d platformer with the Koopalings.

On the other hand, if you don't play the game, you're not a gamer. If I'm stuck, I'll still go on GameFAQs or something.

Darkslash

Smash Master
On the other hand, if you don't play the game, you're not a gamer. If I'm stuck, I'll still go on GameFAQs or something.
This is aimed at casuals. Casuals don't know any thing about sites like IGN,GameFaqs or Gameradar. The Hint system will allow them to not get frustrated, break a T.V and leave gaming.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
One one hand, this could very well mean the return of challenging Nintendo games. I REALLY want to see another Mario 2d platformer with the Koopalings.
How does a 2D Mario game with the Koopalings automatically mean it'll be hard?

I can think up of a 2D Mario game that's super easy and STILL have Koopalings in it in like 5 seconds.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
The challenge and the specific enemies are unrelated, I just like the little brats. I could think of hard game without them *coughmario3cough* or an easy game with them as well.

Top Bottom