• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KGD - The Kewkky Thread! - Kirby's Wasteland: Dead Social

Kmatt

Smash Journeyman
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
The puns are what make it great. It's silly humor to break the tone of seriousness. If you think that Sho's quotes are bad, try the first main boss and his food puns!.

"Fear not, the proof is in the pudding... The pudding of their DOOM!"

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Combo's mostly on light characters and other's capable of escaping:

fgrab > uair > utilt > bair

Medium:

fgrab > uair > any

Heavy:

Fgrab > uair > dgrab > utilt > uair > any

I sometimes do fgrab > utilt > dtilt > fsmash or ftilt.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
those are all things i do on people that didn't learn how to SDI back in 2008, yes :p

Kmatt

Smash Journeyman
A neat trick Vinyl just reminded me of: You can metagame an Olimar by doing a F-throw at relatively low %, and most Olimar players will instinctively whistle for fear of combo, where you can simply wait, grab again, pummel, and follow up. I've gotten free stocks off of Olimars with this trick because they become insecure and whistle much less often in situations they normally would, allowing me to take extra hits where I would normally be punished. While I've not played an excessive amount of vs. Olimar, this trick seems to work consistently among all the ones I've played.

Keep in mind though, this is a simple gimmick, so don't expect it to win all the time. Just a pocket ace used to throw off players who get too comfortable.

I feel kind of hipster because I read that article about dual-stick weeks ago. This post is getting to mainstream, so for reasons you wouldn't understand, Imma call it a day. Good night!

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Vinyl, everything after Fthrow -> Uair is avoidable if someone knows how to SDI. LOL. The best you can do when someone SDI's is Upward angled Ftilt (if their SDI isn't crazy good) or SH/FH Uair (this only really works on certain characters [their jump has to be bad/they're big]).

Ftilt I fully support because it can lead into a bunch of different mix-up options. the follow-up Uair can be good, but I opt to wait for the double jump/AD and punish an opponent's landing.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
A neat trick Vinyl just reminded me of: You can metagame an Olimar by doing a F-throw at relatively low %, and most Olimar players will instinctively whistle for fear of combo, where you can simply wait, grab again, pummel, and follow up.
Yeah. Lots of characters can do "combo breaker" stuff, like Marth doing up B etc.
The thing is, when I play random people on AiB, most of them appear to be scrubs (despite the fact that they ****ing beat me) and don't seem to KNOW about stuff like this. So my mindgames are too 'advanced' for them, and I end up wasting potential combos.

And come to think of it, I'm the only one I ever see SDI the fthrow->uair combo very far. Like, when I do Kirby dittos, and then fthrow->upair me at 0%, I hit the Cstick and control stick away at the exact right time and teleport a good distance away, and I never see my opponents do that.

Also, I just played a Ness on AiB ladder. That matchup is bleh to me. I can win, but it's annoying, because you have to space around his aerials verrrry carefully. The MOST annoying thing, though, is how hard I had to work for kills compared to him. I won the set 2-1, with every game coming down to last stock. Game 1, he killed me with bthrow, bthrow. Game 2, he killed me with bthrow, bthrow, bthrow. Game 3, he killed me with bthrow, stagespike.
Game 1, I killed him with aerial hammer, upair way up high, and dsmash. Game 2, I killed him with bair? and something else. Game 3, I killed him with fsmash, aerial hammer, etc.

If you missed my point, I'm jealous of how reliably some characters can kill with one specific move. Especially grabs.

HyperKeeby

Smash Rookie
I wish Kirby's kill moves were a bit more reliable too, fsmash kills rather early but it's so laggy.

It really sucks when you struggle to get the kill and can really show when playing a Lucario.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Dsmash is pretty strong. Uthrow is always there if you can't seem to find an opening and opponent's at 160%+ (depending on weight and height of where you uthrow).

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
F-smash seems to kill at ridiculous percents if the opponent DI's it badly, but with good DI it's only a mediocre KO attack. The reason for this is because it has a 55-degree KnockBack Trajectory instead of the usual 361-degree. There are a few other attacks that have this, like ROB's B-air and some of Meta Knight's attacks (I think D-smash and D-air for instance).

Edit:
55-degrees is pretty much 'sideways'. I forgot to mention this in case anyone didn't know off-hand.
This means if the opponent's DI is horizontal the magnitude of knockback appears crazy-strong.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Launch the opponent upwards, and Kirby ends up below the opponent in the air. They're all different but I see the similarities, lol. I thought the same thing a while ago but then forgot about it since I never talk to anyone about Kirby's intricacies. :c

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
too bad bthrow only does (8?) damage and is pretty sucky. you can occasionally get a bthrow->bair going, i think.

i guess it's good in some cases. i use it every so often (usually because of input errors)

i always thought it's funny how kirby bthrows, then he's in the air for a split second, allowing you to double jump. sort of annoying glitch though.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I don't think bthrow is sucky at all. You can get bthrow>bair and you can also get a bthrow>uair if they're lighter/have taken some damage. The positional advantage you gain from it is SWEET! You end up in the air with your back faced to them, while they're in the air with THEIR backs facing you. Not many characters have bairs that can cover that blind spot, or anything that can as a matter of fact.

HyperKeeby

Smash Rookie
I think forward throw outclasses bthrow just because of how much less of a laggy feel it has. I would only use it to get someone offstage.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I think forward throw outclasses bthrow just because of how much less of a laggy feel it has. I would only use it to get someone offstage.
That's pretty much what I use it for. Offstage + positional advantage = pretty sweet move.

I don't think it has a laggy feel at all, you're in the air once bthrow finishes and can double jump with no lag at all, instead of jumping from the floor with the jumping frames you're supposed to suffer.

HyperKeeby

Smash Rookie
That's pretty much what I use it for. Offstage + positional advantage = pretty sweet move.

I don't think it has a laggy feel at all, you're in the air once bthrow finishes and can double jump with no lag at all, instead of jumping from the floor with the jumping frames you're supposed to suffer.
I dunno. It definitely feels like you're closer to the opponent with an fthrow, not sure. Bthrow just seems harder to combo with. Basically I think a front flip is easier than a back flip. :p

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I use both of them, I just think bthrow is a pretty nice move is all. ;)

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
I just found my new favorite move, his jab flurry. Its hilarious to just throw it out and catch someone off guard. A lot of cases it leads into a F-Smash for a kill. I don't know why...it just works X3

Kmatt

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I piss so may people off on aib. When you get on PS1 fire stage, they jump into the little space between the unconstructed building thing (between the house and cliff), and I get average 120-150% damage before the stage changes. It's not even hard to DI out of, but it is so very rage-inducing.

Referring to the jab flurry, that is.

HyperKeeby

Smash Rookie
You can SDI out of it.

It's inescapable on the rock part of ps1 if you're bowser, DDD, pretty much all big targets can't get out.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
oh right, i was talking about the rock transformation, not the fire one.

i'm 99% sure the rock one is inescapable. i've never seen anyone get out of it, and i haven't gotten out of it either.
the fire wall one, just SDI behind kirby.

HyperKeeby

Smash Rookie
oh right, i was talking about the rock transformation, not the fire one.

i'm 99% sure the rock one is inescapable. i've never seen anyone get out of it, and i haven't gotten out of it either.
the fire wall one, just SDI behind kirby.
It seems that way, but it is escapable if you SDI it. I've seen it done multiple times, them getting behind Kirby. Haven't tried it myself since I never go into that place against another Kirby. Of course, this is inescapable if the opponent is large, their hitbox reaches all parts of the area regardless of how they DI.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I thought the reason you can't get out of the jablock on the rock transformation is that Kirby's back is to some wall. You can't get behind Kirby if his back's to the wall.
It MIGHT be possible to get behind him a bit (but still enough to be jabbed) and then push him forward far enough to get out?
You'll still take a ****load of damage, but that's the only way I can think of to get out of it. I'm almost positive you can't DI out of it upwards, unless maybe you're Marth and can up B out.

Top Bottom