• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KGD - The Kewkky Thread! - Kirby's Wasteland: Dead Social

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
When did this whole "LAIN AND MEEP ONLY!!!" thing start?

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Probably when meep started doing good in tourneys... Lain has always been on top, so meep must've been the one to tip the coffee cup, so to say.

~Shao~

Smash Ace
Marth though? Yeah, he's that bad. You can't get in at all because of that range.

Hard counters (70:30):

Marth
I agree with this...to some extent. I believe that a DEFENSIVE Marth has a solid advantage, because if you have to approach him, you'll probably get wrecked. He has tools to shut us down almost completely, it's just to hard to get inside his zoning. Aggressive Marth's (most Marth mains), I believe it's an even match-up, or SLIGHTLY in his favor. Kirby excels at punishing mistakes, and they're bound to make a mistake sometime, even with good spacing. B-air OoS ftw.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
When did this whole "LAIN AND MEEP ONLY!!!" thing start?
*shrug*

There could be a few more, but those are the only 2 really good I've heard about. Regardless, there aren't many who are good enough to really exemplify IC MUs, which was my point.

I agree with this...to some extent. I believe that a DEFENSIVE Marth has a solid advantage, because if you have to approach him, you'll probably get wrecked. He has tools to shut us down almost completely, it's just to hard to get inside his zoning. Aggressive Marth's (most Marth mains), I believe it's an even match-up, or SLIGHTLY in his favor. Kirby excels at punishing mistakes, and they're bound to make a mistake sometime, even with good spacing. B-air OoS ftw.
QFT

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'll agree here as well. I'll say depending on what stage you fight him our winnings would be minor, (mostly Battlefield or Halbard), but not all the time. I might think that Rainbow Cruise doesn't give us a big advantage anymore, but our substute is Jungle Japes. >=3

.... wait a minute.... i've never lost to ybm!

I'm sick and ****ing tired of this ****. so RANDOM.
Hmm, I think someone said that by mistake, I think you lost one match, but won the rest of the two is what I've heard.

Also it's been nearly forever since I played you in Smash. )=

Prawn

Smash Master

Exactly what I was thinking >_<

also name search for the win

LAIN LAIN LAIN LAIN

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Screw my post of "I think someone said that by mistake, I think you lost one match, but won the rest of the two is what I've heard" post. )=

Ladybug

Smash Lord
I'll agree here as well. I'll say depending on what stage you fight him our winnings would be minor, (mostly Battlefield or Halbard), but not all the time. I might think that Rainbow Cruise doesn't give us a big advantage anymore, but our substute is Jungle Japes. >=3
Japes! Yes!! I can't play this stage with Marth. I tried a few times. It sucked. :p

Ninja Kirby Nick!

Smash Lord
That's not what your mother said last night Trebek
Naturally, Jungle Japes is our best stage, since Kirby can just meteor smash foes into the water over and over again :lick:.

The Klap Trap is trouble though. I dislike it since it has killed me more than my opponent has killed me :urg:...which is sad xD.

meepxzero

Smash Master
thats all pros do now is name search on smashboards LOL.

I lost to chu's kirby one time and after that i have never lost to it and he gave up the match up.

chu's kirby beats neo's marth and ive never seen chu lose to a marth. Kirby's tools > marth tools.

Suspect

Smash Hero
Or neo got tired of the turtleing

either way, the matchup is not in kirbys favor

I've played RoyR, Mikehaze, Dphat, Sethlon, Broly. And then some other marths that are decent.

idc if they name search

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

Wait... you didn't?

Okay, then I misunderstood something and am completely wrong. Please ignore all that I have said then.

~Shao~

Smash Ace
Finally, someone who's not blinded by "space bairs and hope for the best!" phrases.
The match-up it's not "space b-airs and hope for the best", is just that spacing b-airs is like...Kirby's best tool in this match-up (in most, if not all match-ups if you think about it). If you're rushing down and ****** his ***, they're doing something wrong. You can enter aggro-mode when he is offstage and in the air (to a lesser extent), but if he's grounded, and you're wrecking him...something is not right.

Of course, f-tilt/d-tilt/f-air (to a lesser extent) are good for spacing too, but they are WAY more punishable than b-air. Add this to the fact that Marth can up-b OoS to punish like...half of your hits against his shield, and b-air is VERY HARD to punish if perfectly spaced and not power-shielded...You end up b-airing everything in sight.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
The match-up it's not "space b-airs and hope for the best", is just that spacing b-airs is like...Kirby's best tool in this match-up (in most, if not all match-ups if you think about it). If you're rushing down and ****** his ***, they're doing something wrong. You can enter aggro-mode when he is offstage and in the air (to a lesser extent), but if he's grounded, and you're wrecking him...something is not right.
Wrong. There are many situations where being aggro on-stage is smarter than poking him with spaced bairs and hoping he doesn't tipper fair you... In the Marth MU, you have to NOT space and utilt all of his retaliations at close range, while keeping an eye on the distance between you two and where he's currently at. The only reason the MU numbers are so ugly is because people are just comparing attacks and who can approach better when the other is camping, instead of talking about every detail that isn't mindgames (including SDI/DI directions) and what-if's when the opponent finds himself under a certain situation that might happen a lot.

~Shao~

Smash Ace
Wrong. There are many situations where being aggro on-stage is smarter than poking him with spaced bairs and hoping he doesn't tipper fair you... In the Marth MU, you have to NOT space and utilt all of his retaliations at close range, while keeping an eye on the distance between you two and where he's currently at. The only reason the MU numbers are so ugly is because people are just comparing attacks and who can approach better when the other is camping, instead of talking about every detail that isn't mindgames (including SDI/DI directions) and what-if's when the opponent finds himself under a certain situation that might happen a lot.
I know there are times when being aggro on-stage is better and/or smarter than poking him with b-airs. If you see my vids, you'll notice that I rush against Marth, I approach, I get aggro when he's grounded, aerial, off-stage, everywhere. It's just that when he's grounded, it is best to not rush down, MOST of the time. And I agree with you, the match-up is close to even...WHEN played aggressively from Marth's part. Defensive Marth's are a pain in the *** to deal with. Because he has tool's to shut us down pretty badly.

And I'm definitely not saying to space b-airs until he get's bored and suicide...it's just that there is time and place to get aggressive, not during the whole match-up.

I'm leaving now, so if you want to continue to discuss the match-up, we can do this tomorrow :D possibly via pm

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Fibbers. I guess ICs vs. Kirby IS that bad.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Considering all I want to do in the Ice Climbers match up is run away the whole match unless I'm on Pokemon Stadium, I hate getting touched with their ice cold chain grabbing hands.... unless it's just Nana grabbing. =P

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Ew. I always take ICs to Japes. OverSwarm taught me just how few approaches characters like ICs have on the outer platforms there.

Just get the stock lead and set up a tent. Keep a supply of Triple-A Vulcan Grab Repellent handy and you're set for the match. No Climber has proved me wrong yet.

I really wish Kirby had better options on neutrals against them than "Spam the Vulcan Grab Repellent and hope for the best." (I shouldn't have to fear something that cute <.<) The only thing I've found other than that is staying on platforms and using Fall-through B-Airs. But even that's a "meh" tactic.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
LOL

>_<

:/

Brawl's not that bad, if you take Snake and MK out of the equation :D

smash 64 is the best thing ever
QFT, for sure.
QFT, for sure.

Hard counters (70:30):

ICs
Marth

Somewhat bad (60-40):

R.O.B.
Game and Watch
Metaknight
Snake
Yay for Bunny for acknowledging that Kirby's not amazing 8D

I think G&W is trash though. Too easy to work around his crap.
R.O.B. is annoying because of teh campz, but definitely beatable.

Also, he had the best taunt in the game :lick:.
Sorry, Young Link has the best taunt, in any Smash game. :3

im glad to the kicks thing is better
Yeah. I wish he had 64 Kirby's dash attack though. Falling on your face and hitting opponents is too funny.
(**** you, Wario and Dedede)
Just like how we get around MK's uair
um

...you don't get around MK's uair.
You just don't.
Not with Kirby. Unless you like, turn into Stone from way up and get hit with a Dair or some other move after he avoids it instead.

Fun games asdioh ^_^. I especially liked those few games when I was ganondorf, and you were also ganondorf. Why did it have to stop? :(
Do I know you?

Lmfaooo. Ban Snake.
DOOOO IIIIIT
(Kirby's dash attack is wonderful in this MU, for example!).
HIS PIVOT GRAB IS AS RIDICULOUS AS HIS UPTILT >_< >_< >_<
And grenade+shield says hi to Kirby's dash attack. :|

I agree with this...to some extent. I believe that a DEFENSIVE Marth has a solid advantage, because if you have to approach him, you'll probably get wrecked.
Therefore, the ideal Marth playstyle in this matchup wins. :p

._.
er
well good.

chu's kirby beats neo's marth and ive never seen chu lose to a marth. Kirby's tools > marth tools.
they're doin it wrong
Or neo got tired of the turtleing

either way, the matchup is not in kirbys favor
indeed

turtling*

Fibbers. I guess ICs vs. Kirby IS that bad.
D:

I really wish Kirby had better options on neutrals against them than "Spam the Vulcan Grab Repellent and hope for the best." (I shouldn't have to fear something that cute <.<) The only thing I've found other than that is staying on platforms and using Fall-through B-Airs. But even that's a "meh" tactic.
I hate it when I hit people with Vulcan Jab, and they manage to shield it afterwards and grab me anyway. :|

My sig made me lol really hard. Just so you know.
It's funnier if you've played Warcraft III, but still pretty funny anyway, I s'pose?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Yes, you're right, MK's uair cannot be avoided, it is clearly broken and hinders all characters. And yes, you're also right about Snake having the time to take out a grenade AND shield while you're dash attacking him, when we're obviously NOT dash attacking randomly instead of using them as a mix-up so he can't grab you or punish you with grenades/tilts at all, plus send him to the air where we dominate. Oh no, I've been playing the matchup wrong for the looongest time, and I should be winning MORE than 50% of the time against a Snake who knows the Kirby MU to perfection, which I'm currently winning ONLY 50% of the time. I'm also doing it wrong when no other snake at all in PR has beaten me till this date.

Clearly, Asdioh and his offline experience have proven that they know the matchups well, better than even the person who spends practically every day playing against a Snake who is also advancing in his game as fast as the Kirby is. Most definitely!

[/sarcasm]

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Quick mention, Kewk, while I think you are indeed playing the Marth MU correctly from what you are saying, a patient and defensive Marth can get around that pretty easily BECAUSE he has better tools for this MU.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Kewkky

u mad?
Suspect, I like you. XD

Kewkky, apparently Puerto Rico (or at least, whatever part of it you live in) is a far superior place for Smashing than Indiana is. I'm so jealous >_<
[/not sarcasm. Seriously.]

But about MK's Uair, it cannot be avoided (at least not by Kirby) if he's doing it right. I forgot where the frame data was, but if you compare the airdodge to the startup->ending times of MK's Upair, and the fact that he can follow our DI while we're airdodging, he can whiff a Uair through our dodge, and hit us with another one after our dodge finishes, and before we can start another one. :/
And we don't have anything to beat his Uair with, except Stone like I mentioned, which will most likely get punished anyway.

And I suppose Dash Attack is good against Snake, I'm just a bit frustrated by the fact that shield+grenade (while camping...I sincerely hope the Snakes you play there camp LIKE A ***** or else you're not getting the experience you need) beats most approaches that Kirby (and many other characters) have.

lain

Smash Master
I don't necessarily think IC vs Kirby is bad. Kirby is kinda hard to grab, one mess up against his dair and goodbye stock or nana, he can **** nana up if split up handily, gimps, swallowcides.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Kewkky

u mad?
Lol, not exactly MAD, just felt like posting it that way... I've been in a really good mood lately, due to a certain couple of situations that have gone very well for me. ;)

Quick mention, Kewk, while I think you are indeed playing the Marth MU correctly from what you are saying, a patient and defensive Marth can get around that pretty easily BECAUSE he has better tools for this MU.
Hmm, I'd like to play an extremely defensive Marth, as well as mHaze (just to see how it goes down... :laugh:). The experience will only do me good, and I need more exp if I'm to get any better, since all I'm doing right now is amplifying my mindgame list.

Against Ice Climbers i counter pick Ice CLimbers :3
Lol. I actually thought about doing that when I first saw pro Ice Climber videos, and just learning ICs a LOT instead of focusing on the CG's (so I can give a good fight)... But for now, I wanna try both ZSS and ICs extensively against a great ICs main and see how I do, or what can I experiment with.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Lol, not exactly MAD, just felt like posting it that way... I've been in a really good mood lately, due to a certain couple of situations that have gone very well for me. ;)
For this, I am insanely jealous.

BBQTV

Smash Master
what stages does kirby do good on?from what i read he does bad on neural stages and good on jungle japes any others?

Y.b.M.

Smash Master

Who said you lost to me?

Although next time we play you will....

3rd time is always the charm....Except against AZ *sigh* but he's a God Kai so it's cool...

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
3rd time is always the charm....Except against AZ *sigh* but he's a God Kai so it's cool...
Ooh...I've lost to AZ twice, which means that next time, victory is my destiny!

About the ICs: Why does Nana always mindgame me when I split them up? She like, dodges at unpredictable times and completely avoids my attacks. :mad:

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
About the ICs: Why does Nana always mindgame me when I split them up? She like, dodges at unpredictable times and completely avoids my attacks. :mad:
Nana behaves the same as any computer, with some exceptions in that she seems to have preset strategies for "getting back to Popo" and "Not being completely nonthreatening while doing so."

For example, she always shoots ice shots if she's really really high for some reason. You probably noticed that.

My short tip of advice is assume she will dodge and go from there.
Alternately, play CP-controlled Ice Climbers and contrive situations where they split up. I haven't confirmed if there's a difference in the Nana behaviour between levels. I'd assume not.

... kinda funny, 'cause you know one of Popo or Nana has to be the better solo comp at any level.

Ninja Kirby Nick!

Smash Lord
That's not what your mother said last night Trebek
what stages does kirby do good on?from what i read he does bad on neural stages and good on jungle japes any others?
Hmm. People are not being nice enough to comment on his question :lick:.

Kirby generally does good on any stage with lots of platforms, and sucks on any stages that DOESN'T have any :ohwell:.

I wish I could be more specific, but I don't know everything, sorry :lick:.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Wishes that more people post at the stage thread to discuss about Kirby's good or bad stages. ._.

Top Bottom