• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

dmac

Smash Champion
be at my place before 4

edit : and i know jace will be opposed to this, but does anyone else wanna get a motel for the night? i'd rather get a good nights sleep on a bed than on a floor or couch or something -_- maybe i'm too old for this (i'll cover most of it, anyone else can pitch in)

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
I vote for a motel as well, just as long as we go to darkatma's/wherever for at least a little while tonight, to play people. I want to play some doubles with my teams partner Dart before the tourney

BunBun

Smash Master
Someone text me their number so jack and I can find people for late dinner tonight.

My number: nine zero one, four nine six, five two four zero

Lol destroying skype search clients

darkatma

Smash Hero
be at my place before 4

edit : and i know jace will be opposed to this, but does anyone else wanna get a motel for the night? i'd rather get a good nights sleep on a bed than on a floor or couch or something -_- maybe i'm too old for this (i'll cover most of it, anyone else can pitch in)
if you guys do that would be cool coz then i could have more ppl over
but i do have 2 beds and 2 couches though.

although i think one of them is occupied by andale anthony lol

Dart!

Smash Master
Someone text me their number so jack and I can find people for late dinner tonight.

My number: nine zero one, four nine six, five two four zero

Lol destroying skype search clients
I'ma text youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu <3

in fact...where are all you maylay playas at? text meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

three zero nine six nine six five nine three four

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
lol well I didn't do incredibly bad or anything, but looking at the bracket, if things fell my way I should've gotten 17th or 13th

AustinRC

Smash Lord
I'm down for games this week, tomorrow maybe? We'll keep doing the whole helping everyone get better discussions! :D :D :D :D :D

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Arc of all the high tier matchups in the game, ironically right now I think I need the most practice in Peach dittos

GIVE THEM TO ME

Tomorrow might not be the best for me though, Tues/Thurs are my hardcore art classes so Mon/Wed is usually reserved for Intense Project Time

Phatgamer1

Smash Lord
I may make a trip out to Lawrence on Friday if you guys decide to have games. Other than that, I've already planned around no massivesmash so any other day doesn't really work.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Jace's Peach is sooo janky but too amazing for words, you have to witness it yourself

dmac

Smash Champion
jace's place would probably be decent for 4-6 people if his roommates dont mind

just need to move that folding table around a bit and we can have 2 tvs pretty reasonably spaced

AustinRC

Smash Lord
sweeet, dont forget! Lets try and help one another critique during friendlies and try different things dont try and win win win. Also on SRK they are doing interviews with top pro players that are giving general advice for fighting games it is also apply able to Smash I highly suggest reading it. Justin Wongs advice is very good. But yeah :D

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
So...a random fact: I've been secretly learning how to properly TO a Smash tourney and I want to host one at KU. I've been looking at the rental rates for rooms in the Student Union, which would be a great venue considering there's a parking garage next door, lots of food in the building, wireless internet, projectors, built-in sound system, etc. I would register it as an outside organization event so we'd be able to do all the prize money stuff without worrying about the university shutting it down, since KU wont be affiliated. I was thinking about having it in January, maybe under the Event 52 III brand if Duck will lend me it's namesake. We could get darkrain to come, for more OOS and OOR incentive. It would go swimmingly

What do you guys think, should I give it a shot?

Smash Lord
^^ sounds like a good idea. Since it's unlikely that the people from JCCC will be able to use the college as a venue, importing the event 52 name sounds like a good idea. I've heard good things about the past two events so using the name will probably draw in more people. I'll run this by Duck today if he hasn't already seen this.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Also mention to him that, depending on which venue I think I can get, it may be both Brawl & Melee, and he is welcome to help run the Brawl side of things

If I could get the Kansas Ballroom it would be so sick

Jace08

Smash Lord
uh yeah I think I looked into that some last year Honda, and the ballroom was stupidly expensive. I guess if we had enough people the venue fee shoouuld cover it though

and quote see if Duck is still willing to push hard enough to get the Regnier center reserved for us at JCCC. That would be the best option

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Give it a shot Honda, I'll help you run the tournament I've run a few myself. Also Jace/ Honda still down for games tonight? Also its cool if everyone wants to play on Friday but I probably wont be able to because of work at 6PM. : / Unless we started hella early which is probably not possible for some people. But yeah I'm down for games tonight.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
There are other rooms that could work as well, I've been in the Kansas Room and it's also pretty nice, and about 1.5x bigger than the Hot Dickings venue. If we could get a lot of interest in E52 III though I think we should definitely go for the Ballroom, and promote it as a regional

I won't be able to play tonight, my Mondays and Wednesdays are reserved for Intense Project Time

Smash Lord
Leaving for his place in 10-20 minutes, anything else that needs to be mentioned should be said here by then.

uh yeah I think I looked into that some last year Honda, and the ballroom was stupidly expensive. I guess if we had enough people the venue fee shoouuld cover it though

and quote see if Duck is still willing to push hard enough to get the Regnier center reserved for us at JCCC. That would be the best option
I'll mention it, but in the times we've talked about holding events, anything involving JCCC sounds fairly impractical. Apparently, the smash people just didn't get along with the rest of the members of the game club and now they hate our generation of smash people. From what I've heard, the people that are still sympathetic towards smash (they don't even play the game) are a tiny minority, so the chances of us having any pulling power are slim to none.

I have heard mention of a new generation of smash people up at the college from someone I know that goes there, he used to play but I don't think he'd have the interest to set things up.

Massive

Smash Champion
How much was the room rental at JCCC?
The Gladstone community center has a room about that size with pretty decent rates if I decide to renew my gym membership.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Cool, well I guess I'll start shopping around for venues this week. quote, did he mention anything about the cost of the JCCC venue? It'd be nice for comparison

Also, I think March or April might be a better date for it, especially if we want to build up some OOR interest, as it would fit nicely between Pound V and Genesis 2

EDIT: And now I really want to get incredibly/ridiculously better by the next tourney we go to (whenever that is, maybe Intimikill 3 in Dec?), since apparently St. Louis thinks I suckkk and didn't deserve the 25th placing at HDR (when personally I thought I was underachieving) :(:(:( TRAIN ME UP DUDES

N64

Smash Champion
jacesmash was fun tonight. Jace is the bestest teammate ever.

except when he knees me

or dies at 0 to shine
or dies at 0 to shine again
or dies at 0 to shine again

but holy crap when it's jace o'clock. gggggggggggg

Top Bottom