• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

Smash Lord
Cool, well I guess I'll start shopping around for venues this week. quote, did he mention anything about the cost of the JCCC venue? It'd be nice for comparison

Also, I think March or April might be a better date for it, especially if we want to build up some OOR interest, as it would fit nicely between Pound V and Genesis 2

EDIT: And now I really want to get incredibly/ridiculously better by the next tourney we go to (whenever that is, maybe Intimikill 3 in Dec?), since apparently St. Louis thinks I suckkk and didn't deserve the 25th placing at HDR (when personally I thought I was underachieving) :(:(:( TRAIN ME UP DUDES
Crap forgot to ask about that. I'll ask the next time I see him. At the worst it'll be next week. I'm not entirely sure about it, but do I remember him saying that as a venue for people outside of the college, it was pretty expensive.

March/April sounds so far away. Does it have to be that far off? I think that if a bunch of us got to work on it we could do two events by that time. I mean if there aren't like a crapton of major events in between then and now, I think it should be earlier.

If you host a tourney lemme TO the 64 side tourney.
I second this. Hell I'll even help with this.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Well, there's Pound V in late February, so if we wanted more OOS interest and some OOR incentive, we should steer clear of it. If people have to choose between buying plane tickets for Event 52 III or for Pound V, they'll probably choose Pound. This is assuming that we're going for a major tourney, of course (I consider the past E52's to be relatively major). If it's smaller then we can have it whenever we'd like and it wouldn't really matter. Though, if it's just going to be KS, NE and STL, why bother?

Early January could work, but my main concern is the availability of KU venues during Winter Break, since the whole campus is basically on lock down until classes start up again. I'll look into it. Again, it just depends on how big we want this thing to be. If we're going for a regional of about 50-70 people then there are plenty of alternatives to find I'm sure. If we're going for 100+, I lean heavily towards a KU Student Union venue since it will have food, parking, and everything else right there, and the upscale venue will attract more people wanting to go to a tournament that feels major (see POE3 and the whole "Mega Church" scandal). Either way, I think somewhere down the line we're going to have to take a calculated risk with our investment in the project

EDIT: Here are the prices for the KU venues http://www.union.ku.edu/es_roomchart.shtml

"Standard" rates are for outside organizations, and "Univ" is for people affiliated with the university (students, faculty). I'm going with the Standard prices since I'm not sure if a tournament for money can be affiliated with the university, regardless if it's a student renting it or not. But I'll look into it to know exactly what's up. If I can get a room for the Univ rate, we're getting the Ballroom--end of story. If not, the Kansas and Big 12 rooms look pretty good for a 60-70 person tourney, which was the size of the last Hot Dickings, and these are about 1.5 times larger than that room

The Ballroom, if we set it up right, would probably be among the nicest MW venues for Smash ever. There's a second balcony level (which people can access freely) so people can get a better view of the projector, built-in sound system so we don't have to yell across the room, the food court is one floor below (btw, another problem with a Winter Break tournament is that the food court will probably be closed...), there's a TON of space for setups/seating, we can get a stage (for finals matches), lots of restrooms and drinking fountains around, etc etc...just all-around perfect for a venue. The downside is that it's almost $900 a day (not even sure how much that includes or what hours), and if we wanted to have a 2-day tourney that's almost $2000, with a likely pre-event deposit of several hundreds of dollars. So we'd have to raise some funds somehow. And if we don't have a big enough turnout to pay for the venue with venue fees, we're in trouble.

So, we need to gauge how big we think we can make this and work from there. We'd need some star power for sure...though with the big names that have been to the past E52's (M2K, Mango, hungrybox, Cactuar, RockCrock, and more?) we might be able to get some of those guys back

Smash Lord
I guess that it probably would be better to have a big event. The midwest really needs to build itself up anyway.

I would think that it'd be a good idea to host something smaller in between then and now though. I think that it's been a while since the last time KC held a major tourney for melee. Doing this would probably be good because it establishes you as a TO so that this won't be the first major tournament you run. It's more work, but it's not good to setup for something big and have it flop because it's your first time doing it.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
but it's not good to setup for something big and have it flop because it's your first time doing it.
(see POE3)
:denzel:

That's a good point, as I currently have 0 realtime TO experience under my belt, that's definitely true. However I have been studying how to run a tourney extensively, and I think more importantly, I know a lot about the things that can go wrong and how they can be fixed or improved. I also have my own ideas on how the process can be streamlined even further. I think I can pull it out

Plus the KC crew is experienced with running tournaments anyway, so if I need help I can always ask them for advice (or ask Alex Strife
whom I'm secretly helping with the next Apex, tehehe shhhh
)

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Fuhhhhh I just figured out that the food court is closed on Saturdays, regardless of whether school is in session or not. That makes a KU venue a lot less enticing...hrmm...

rpotts

Smash Lord
Yea, and don't forget that the parking in the mississippi street garage (the one just north of the union on jayhawk boulevard/oread rd) isn't free, I beleive that's 24 hours a day as well. I've never paid for parking there, however, and never recieved a ticket. But I bet a bunch of OoS plates with no parking permits whatsoever may be subject to fines/towing.

BunBun

Smash Master
If you do that, then I think that having E52 in April/May would be alright.

Stupid question: how many people does it take to run a regional event?
BARE minimum of two.

You need:

Tournament setup (prepping the venue the day of and organizing what setups go where, making sure there are tables and chairs as needed). This includes giving people masking tape and sharpies to mark their equipment.

which usually runs around the same time-ish as...

Registration. This part will need at least two people, preferably 3. One person writing down Name/Location/Teams Partner/Singles$/Doubles$/Venue$ on a sheet of paper, as people come up, one person entering that information into TIO, and one person handling the cash and giving change. Nametags are also a plus.

After this you need...

Bracket/Pools setup. The TO does this him/herself according to location and/or circuit points (lol). If there are any problems like crew stacking or skill stacking, the TO needs to deal with this randomly. If there are two people that could be switched out of a given pool, and one MUST be switched out, the TO labels them 1 and 2 in his head, and then asks someone random to pick a number, 1 or 2. The number they pick gets switched out into another random pool, picked in a similar fashion. Sounds stupid, but it's fair.

Once you have a good pools list you need to...

Make pools sheets. This is really just a two person job, because you can only show 2 pools at the same time on TIO. Make the standard pools sheets for all the pools and MARK THE SETUP #'s THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO PLAY ON.

Now, call pools out over a megaphone, or just get Viperboy to yell it really loudly, and someone else hands the pools sheet out to someone in the pool.

Once stuff gets going, you only need one person to take care of TIO, but there should be someone there at all times, so in case the TO needs to play a match or take a break, a 2nd person is always helpful.

There are almost never disputes, and when they are, they can usually be settled with "**** you guys are dumb replay the **** match", or with the patented AOB "If you don't stop I'll just DQ both of you".

Then, after the tournament, the entire god**** crew should help clean up

This has been BunBun's guide on how you should run a tournament. lol

Jace08

Smash Lord
or dies at 0 to shine
or dies at 0 to shine again
or dies at 0 to shine again
but jumpin off-stage against two foxes is what the cool kids do

So I've been talkin to Duck some about getting the Regnier Center again at JCCC. Basically no smashers have any connection to the club anymore, and in fact we're not even really sure if it still exists. I think it does though, because they did just finish that new room that was sort of designed for club use.

Anyway, next time I'm in the area I'm gonna go check it out. If the club still exists, I'm pretty confident that I can get the Regnier Center for us through them. And then it's big huge national darkrain tourney all over again at an awesome venue for free :bee:

I'll let you guys know

edit 3: waaaait Amba Lance you go to school there, do you see anything that suggests the Game Interest Group is still alive? Apparently their new room is 3 floors above from the corner lounge of the Commons building, and the hallway is super colorful and decorated. Or I guess you could just ask the people at the Student Life Center, which is like the office for all the clubs

Smash Lord
Stupid question: how do you expect convince them to hold a tournament?

Jace: Hey guys, could you get this room reserved for a national level smash tournament?

Some guy Jace has never seen before: OOO a brawl tournament.

Whoever just played Jace: what's the point I'm gonna lose anyway.

Club Officer: That's a crapton of work for me. Imma not gunna do it.

Another guy Jace has never seen before: who is this guy again?

I imagine the conversation might go something like that. It might just be me being pessimistic, but I don't honestly think they would go along with this.

Massive

Smash Champion
Jace could convince the gaming club to hold an SF4 tournament or something and then ask for a smash side tournament.

THEN OUR ATTENDANCE DWARFS THEIRS AND TAKES THEIR LAND.

Additional content edit:
I looked around the KU student org website.
If you form a group it needs to be at least 75% KU students, I'm thinking you could have people in the group who only cursorily play or maybe add some brawl kids.
The cool part on top of the hall use privileges, is that you can request student activity funds which would be like free gas/hotel for crew outings. Maybe we could just rent a van instead of cramming into cars.

N64

Smash Champion
the procedure:

form club
advertise smash club
get bunch of brawl casuals from across KU
fill out roster with like 20+ people
they come once and most lose interest
only bring melee setups next time, say your wii broke or some ****
almost all of rest of brawl players lose interest / convert to melee
club is down to like 5-10 people (us +1-2 randoms) regularly
roster still has 20-30 people signed up (>75% KU students)
done

Smash Lord
the procedure:

form club
advertise smash club
get bunch of brawl casuals from across KU
fill out roster with like 20+ people
they come once and most lose interest
only bring melee setups next time, say your wii broke or some ****
almost all of rest of brawl players lose interest / convert to melee
club is down to like 5-10 people (us +1-2 randoms) regularly
roster still has 20-30 people signed up (>75% KU students)
done
Pro game plan here.

Jace08

Smash Lord
Stupid question: how do you expect convince them to hold a tournament?

Jace: Hey guys, could you get this room reserved for a national level smash tournament?

Some guy Jace has never seen before: OOO a brawl tournament.

Whoever just played Jace: what's the point I'm gonna lose anyway.

Club Officer: That's a crapton of work for me. Imma not gunna do it.

Another guy Jace has never seen before: who is this guy again?

I imagine the conversation might go something like that. It might just be me being pessimistic, but I don't honestly think they would go along with this.
Lol don't worry about it quote. Like I said, if the club still exists, the actual people in the club will barely be involved, if at all. I won't need their "permission" because we never needed permission for anything in that club really. I remember some of the people actually ranking themselves "officer" or "supervisor" and talking about official rules and such, but in reality we were all just a bunch of kids doing whatever we wanted in a room with some tvs. It worked out great for smashers.

If we really do end up needing an actual jccc student/club member to reserve the regnier center (note that the college never really bothered to distinguish outsiders from jccc students), it won't be hard to convince one of them. Duck had the idea that we would just have a small venue fee at the tourney and donate it to the club funds. Which would be no big deal but I doubt it would even come to that, cuz no one will care about what we're doing

As for this KU smash club idea I'd be down but I don't really see what it would give us besides great venues. If JCCC doesn't work out then maybe we should try for it, but to me just getting the regnier center sounds more convenient.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
I don't know about you but I think quote is right, securing a huge $1000 per day venue for free is probably harder than you think Jace...

Basically we need the connections for it to work, and right now it seems as though all of our possible connections are gone

Jace08

Smash Lord
Maybe, but that doesn't mean I won't at least try for it. Remember that it already happened twice in the past. Garrett seemed to have no trouble getting the reservation both times as far as I know

I'm still willing to help you make other plans if you want though, we don't have to limit ourselves to one option yet

Massive

Smash Champion
As for this KU smash club idea I'd be down but I don't really see what it would give us besides great venues. If JCCC doesn't work out then maybe we should try for it, but to me just getting the regnier center sounds more convenient.
JCCC venue events would be awesome, but we're going to need a serious plant if we want to work it out. JACE GO ENROLL AT JCCC.

Also, venues are huge deal if we want the Midwest to see more tournament action; a KU club might also add new people to our crew/the smash scene that have potential but have never heard of smashboards.

Nothing wrong with more folks to play with; hell, we might even get some sexy wimminz to join up (loljk).

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Garrett seemed to have no trouble getting the reservation both times as far as I know
But I'm guessing that was because he once had a lot of influence there, which he now no longer has. You can try though, it's worth a shot I guess

And I think we should try for a KU Smash club, at the very least we may get a few casuals interested in picking up the game competitively, and in the future it could help us secure a nice venue for a tournament

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Also, who's up for road-tripping to a tourney in Nov (to make up for not going to RoM3)? I think our crew just needs to play more dudes, and I want to travel somewhere again

Massive

Smash Champion
When I get a job (hopefully very soon) I will be up for more tourneys, since I'll have money to blow again.
Also, if I finally figure out how to reaction rest, I could probably place high enough that people would remember my f*cking name.

Smash Lord
I don't know about you but I think quote is right, securing a huge $1000 per day venue for free is probably harder than you think Jace...

Basically we need the connections for it to work, and right now it seems as though all of our possible connections are gone
I mentioned it before but I do know a guy that goes there and plays smash. I don't have his number but I run into him often enough that he might be able to say something to the other members. That's about all I have as far as connections go though.

Also, who's up for road-tripping to a tourney in Nov (to make up for not going to RoM3)? I think our crew just needs to play more dudes, and I want to travel somewhere again
I might be up for this. There's a 64 tourney in St. Louis the day before Thanksgiving that I'm going to for sure. How far are you talking for the other ones though?

JCCC venue events would be awesome, but we're going to need a serious plant if we want to work it out. JACE GO ENROLL AT JCCC.
This made me laugh hard enough to wake some people in the house up.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Yeah Massive I'll try to help you out as much as I can with my limited Jiggs knowledge (Peach dair->near guaranteed rest), and I'll work on reaction rest drills with you

Speaking of which, in addition to advice and feedback during matches, I think we should do a few training drills every smashfest. For example: Arc, I want you to just waveshine me back and forth across FD until I learn the timing for DI/dsmash/grab/etc by heart, maybe just doing it for 5 min straight once or twice a session or something. Likewise I'll gladly be fodder for someone to practice on if they need it. I think we would fix some critical parts of our playstyles a TON if we started doing this

As for November tourneys, they all seem to be either near Chicago or in WI, MI and OH...I'd be down for going to Chi town for one, if just to play/get ***** by IL players (which will make us better). Long drive, but that leaves more bro time I guess

AustinRC

Smash Lord
I'll help you out massive as soon as I get a better job! haha. Oh and also I'm down for games today I'll be on AIM around 5 or so soooo yeah get at me then. I dont have the phone though so dont try calling unless you want to talk to my g/f lawl.

Smash Lord
I'll help you out massive as soon as I get a better job! haha. Oh and also I'm down for games today I'll be on AIM around 5 or so soooo yeah get at me then. I dont have the phone though so dont try calling unless you want to talk to my g/f lawl.
Games? Where? I have tomorrow off of school and might feel like doing something today.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Well probably tomorrow would be best, I had to catch up on one piece today. AHHHHH SOOOO F-ING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. But anyway, yeah tomorrow we should all play! Because I wont be able to on Friday.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
GamerBee is awesome! Love his attitude

"Relax while you play because this is supposed to be fun."

I'll try to remember this, such good advice

rpotts

Smash Lord
I might be up for this. There's a 64 tourney in St. Louis the day before Thanksgiving that I'm going to for sure. How far are you talking for the other ones though?

wait, you're for sure going? like with driving/possible housing if necessary figured out n ****? I wanna go now.

Top Bottom