• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City Area Brawl Thread

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
You need to channel your inner MJG and play TL.

But seriously:

Deal damage until you separate them.
Hit the crap out of Nana until she dies or they resync.
Repeat until Nana is dead.

Then time Sopo out. Sit there and power shield IBs and force him to approach. And then poke him and run away.

Game over.

Dnyce

Smash Master
I don't know where else to go with it though.

After the "How to Deal with Pressure while CGing" thread, there isn't much else place left to go but down :(
Well, I mean... you can't troll as well in some situations compared to others. Naturally there's highs and lows ;o

DeLux

It was originally supposed to be a troll thread. But then I it actually had some practical benefit with some sort of psychology tested backing. So yes and no.

Ares

Smash Journeyman
Smash is getting us nowhere. No money, b!tches, or anything worth the time. It's not a 'game' anymore, more like a job. Either we suck, hit a wall, or are just not getting any better. Too much investment and not enough profit, simple business..cut your losses.

DeLux

Uhhhhh... You can't expect to take a cut of money from your investments until two years down the road. You'll get there. Don't give up yet.

DeLux

It's because she doesn't trust you yet. If you really love her you will wait.

Dnyce

Smash Master
So, I don't have my phone with me, but I'm hoping lux comes here during work or w/e...

I'll just meet you at your place for smash today ;o

DeLux

so uhh yeah I got it.

also: **** M&Ms. they got that snocrack in today. unless you object I'll be gettin me some of that snocrack

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Hey, better half of Kansas. I have a black controller with a purple back lying around in my house. If any of you left one, be sure to let me know, for I am currently holding it hostage.

Smash Lord
I'm going to be in Lawrence on Saturday. I'm not entirely sure what my schedule is, but if things work out I really want to get some practice in against either (Lux) or the Lawrence crowd.

Smash Lord
Ugh. Worst week ever. Spoiler tags for *******es that don't care.

part 1:
I was preparing 6 pieces of music for a Jazz festival on Friday. Since I'm a section leader I have to get 3 other procrastinators to off their ***** and put 3 of those together by then. They all suck, they are there for scholarship money and nothing else, they probably practice less than an hour a week. One of them skips about every forth rehearsal and shows up about 20 minutes late to the rest of them. One of them can't hit an E flat. Another's tone quality sounds like someone farting. The other doesn't have any interest and does what he sees as the bare minimum. His version of the bare minimum happens to be significantly less than the real deal. Two of them are entirely tone deaf. Two of them don't know more than 3 scales total among their entire lack of music theory whatsoever. They can't adjust to play in tune to save their lives. Anything that I teach them never sticks. They make the same mistakes over and over again even when it doesn't concern the physical ability of playing their instruments. None of them know how to play anything louder than a mezzo piano. They always play into the ground too. So they might as well not even play to begin with because you can't even hear them. None of them can take charge on anything. All they are capable of doing is listening to what I play and mimic it after they've heard it about twenty times. They have absolutely no confidence in their ability, or in this case, the lack thereof. Half the time they don't even play during rehearsal because they are too busy hiding their missing abilities. They are like ****ing level 14 magikarps. No ability's worth mentioning, and entirely unable to learn anything without assistance.

Anyway, aside from all of this, in preparation for this festival. We've lopped off the possibility of learning any new songs for the past two and a half weeks, playing one from last semester, and picking up one that I think a half-decent high school band could pick up in about 3 rehearsals. This semester we've learned a grand total of 2 songs so far. Rewind a year ago, and it was something like 12 from this semester at this point. Frankly, we suck.

Anyway, these three pieces should have been put together a long time ago. I try to schedule sectionals two weeks ago. The only way I could line everybody up to do this was to skip my 8 o'clock class. All three of them ditched. None of them were honestly sorry. One of them tried to fake being sorry, but did a pretty bad job at that. The next day I had to chew them out about how they sucked and didn't have a work ethic. God I never thought I'd live to see the day I'd end up giving that lecture. I'm pretty much the most irresponsible, unmotivated, pos that ever lived. That's my opinion anyway. The only time's we've met since then are times when two of them (not the full group) don't have class immediately following rehearsal when they can't run away. Pathetic to say the least. Oh yeah, the three man simultaneous sectional bail happened again this week.

Oh, by the way, this is just my dissapointments with regards to others. My own personal failures = part 2.

DeLux

"Each human being has the right to two
blessings, which are: the blessing to do right, and
the blessing to err. In the latter case, there is always
a path of learning leading to the right way."

This is what I was thinking today when we were playing Quote. I feel like you view any sort of short coming in gameplay in the wrong sense. I understand that you want to get better at the game. But it's important to remember the shortcomings in their proper context.

"We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us."

You are losing for a reason. What you need to do is understand those reasons. But along the way, you need to realize that losing is the only way to the path of truly winning. You'll earn it if you keep chasing it.

But what I see and hear from you when you play is just pure frustration when you lose. It's ok to lose. Getting over your fear of and disdain of losing will go a long way in helping you win, in my opinion.

Once you realize it's ok to lose, you'll soon start yourself on the path of the way to win.
I use a phrase, "Advancing the metagame one loss at a time."

Just because you're losing doesn't mean you aren't getting better. But you need to be losing in radically different ways in order to improve. Test things. Note what works. Note what doesn't.

We played sets today where I continually just walked forward with MK and ftilted you over and over. And you didn't try anything different at all. You had the same response of spot dodging . Over and over again. Had you pulled a nade and rolled away, it would have punished me for doing that.

There have been numerous sets that I've played with elite players where I've intentionally lost just to try what works and doesn't work when playing against high level competition.

There also have been sets where I've been trying to win, but lose because I repeatedly do the same losing strategy over and over.

You just gotta be like water:

"The warrior of light sometimes behaves like water, flowing around the obstacles
he encounters.

Occasionally, resisting might mean being destroyed, and so he adapts to the circumstances. He accepts without complaint that the stones along the path hinder his way across the mountains.

Therein lies the strength of water: it cannot be shattered by a hammer or wounded by a knife. The strongest sword in the world cannot scar its surface.

The waters of a river adapt themselves to whatever route proves possible, but
never forgets its one objective: the sea. So fragile at its source, it gradually
gathers the strength of the other rivers it encounters.
And, after a certain point, its power is absolute."

TLDR - to get better, you can't be afraid to try new things. you can't be afraid to lose. You can't be afraid to get better.

Fear nothing. Risk everything

MJG

Smash Hero
bull**** sir

EVERY good player has started off being decent AT LEAST and has improved a lot faster than other people

gg
Hmm? Are you saying that I am lying? I entered the competitve brawl scene in early 09 (while still playing on "lax" wifi websites and then later, AIB). It took me a long time to understand the game. I didn't naturally pick up anything.

I do agree that some players can pick up things faster than others though.

DeLux

By Future's logic, I have no hope of ever being a good player :(

Why do you hate me so Future

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Future's just mad salty that he's not good at this game. So he goes to other people and tell them how much they suck.

Teh Future

Smash Master
doom is just salty because he cant stand the truf.

everyone that wins tournaments has always been good at the game.

/facts

not saying people cant improve

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
CANCELLATION:

Every single one of my midterms is tuesday. I need to study and to sleep well. No smash on monday.

Fino I have your customized wii classic controller. We could arrange to meet at KU on tuesday around noonish if you need it back.

DeLux

Anyone want to go to Iowa on the 19th?

I was planning on either going to Whobo in TX or GSS in MI, but they are both too much of a time commitment given some personal circumstances.

However, I could easily do Joker's no problem. Gauging interest before I make any sort of commitment.

SquIvyCha

Smash Rookie
Hello. Im new to the boards, but have won many many tournaments. I am the King of Smash. Ive competed in local tourneys and have annihilated. I clearly have proved myself a pro. Are there any good smashers in the Kansas area, or are all of you earthlings pathetic noobs? Ive heard of a good Toon Link, Ice Climbers, Olimar, Ness, and R.O.B in this area.? I live in Lenexa Kansas, close to the Oak Park Mall, if any of you know where that is?

DeLux

Hello. Im new to the boards, but have won many many tournaments. I am the King of Smash. Ive competed in local tourneys and have annihilated. I clearly have proved myself a pro. Are there any good smashers in the Kansas area, or are all of you earthlings pathetic noobs? Ive heard of a good Toon Link, Ice Climbers, Olimar, Ness, and R.O.B in this area.? I live in Lenexa Kansas, close to the Oak Park Mall, if any of you know where that is?
Hello new guy. We used to have the best TL in the nation, but he moved away. We have one of the best Olimars in the country, but he is in the process of moving away. We also have a pretty good up and coming Pika. Outside side of that, everyone is very very very very bad. Like garbage terribad.

Oh and:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11728974&postcount=2271

SO yeah, all super super terribad. Especially that NESS we used to have. He was horrible. Now he just makes weird account names trying to trick people into thinking he's new. baddddddd

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
If he's willing to do a $30 MM, I'll take that money as well. Otherwise, he should check my sig and go somewhere else with the fronts.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Kansas is pro-status at spotting alts... but I mean... you didn't even try :(
Props for being clever enough to use a nov2010 account instead of mar2011 like most people would though :troll:

CANCELLATION:

Every single one of my midterms is tuesday. I need to study and to sleep well. No smash on monday.

Fino I have your customized wii classic controller. We could arrange to meet at KU on tuesday around noonish if you need it back.
:(:(:(

Understandable though. Also, I have classes until 2... so idk if there's a more convenient time for you or anything? I take the K-10 @ 8am and 2:30pm if that helps time-wise. After that I'm free until 7pm when I have another class at the edwards campus -_-''

Top Bottom