• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City Area Brawl Thread

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
KC boys, step it up. Come to my tournament next Saturday. Same time, same place. That way, ENSiS can go. >(

Rockstar

Smash Ace
So should I call you ENSIS, or MJ(G) from now on? And i'll be there Mr.Doom for sure. I think Quote is going? Not sure yet. Stealth & Fino should come

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I take 100% offense to that, Stealth. I'm shaking a salt shaker right now because of how offended I am. >(

Rockstar, you still owe me a $10 MM.

Smash Lord
I'm coming home next weekend.
Tight MJG. Are you gonna be at Mr.Doom's tourney next weekend? I'll be there guaranteed.
So should I call you ENSIS, or MJ(G) from now on? And i'll be there Mr.Doom for sure. I think Quote is going? Not sure yet. Stealth & Fino should come
If Fino can help me with driving to this, I'd be much more inclined to go. I don't know if he wants to do 3 tournament weekends in a row though. It sounds kind of rough. I know that I'd have trouble with it. To me, 8+ hours of driving is nuts without some kind of help or a few extended breaks.

If this doesn't work I'll host for MJG on Friday. My final decision will be up on Wednesday.

lol the mental image of doom sitting at a computer with his normal blank face shaking a salt shaker at the comp is.......... quite hilarious i must say
God I had a perfect visualization of this. So funny.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
All I know is that you guys should come down again for some fun. Plus, if I heard correctly, there are some locals that Rockstar knows. He should drag them down here, too.

Ares

Smash Journeyman
i'll be coming..maybe rick..depending if he gets off work in time

EDIT: LOL also..this is our sequence..everytime we play

Jason Picks *new character*
Rick Picks Metaknight
-Jason Loses

Jason Picks Marth
Rick Picks Metaknight
-Jason Loses

Jason Picks Falco
Rick Picks Metaknight
-50/50 win/loss

Jason Picks Metaknight
Rick Picks Metaknight
-50/50

Jason "This games gay"
Rick "This games gay"
Metaknight wins.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
man dude i mean me and fino. WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT YOU CANT PIKACHEW OR BROLIMAR

also why would rick change, it would be a downgrade. us non mk users always have the option for upgrades though

Smash Lord
@Quote: I can help you drive if you need help driving.

The trip would only be 6 hours btw lol
A couple of things:

Here's how travel is going to work unless things change. I have an old camry with 4 seats (5 if you like things really cramped). It gets 30mpg. It's a stick shift. Knowing someone else who can drive a manual is getting pretty rare these days.

If someone knows has driven an extended period of time with a stick though. This problem is solved. This is also solved if someone can provide a better ride that's not a stick shift.

I include drive time there+back+pickup time. Unless I stay in KC, it takes me 40 minutes to get to either Lenexa or Olathe from Leavenworth. I can all but guarantee that I will be picking up more than one person and logging extra drive time unless you guys can coordinate otherwise. Also, even if I am coming from KC, it's at least 20+ minutes to either place. Given how people usually have to do stuff at the last second, and how I tend to get lost and stuff, and breaks stuff, it adds up rather quickly. 8+ hours sounds pretty likely to me. It happened last week and that was just three people.

IMO things would work out best if you guys could meet at my place in KC. I know that it's not a central location, but it's a 2-3 minute drive from I-70. It would eliminate a lot of problems.

i'll be coming..maybe rick..depending if he gets off work in time
Let me know a soon as possible, preferably by Wednesday. There's a limited number of car slots among other issues. This applies for everyone else as well.

Schedule:
Wednesday
Let me know if you can go by Wednesday. I probably won't accept anyone else after that point.

Thursday.
Travel routes will be finalized.

Friday
This is the prepday. Get you stuff together so that Saturday is brush your hair, brush your teeth, grab your controller, out the door. I may also hold a smashfest on Friday depending on how things work out.

Saturday
Wichita

MJG

Smash Hero
A couple of things:

Here's how travel is going to work unless things change. I have an old camry with 4 seats (5 if you like things really cramped). It gets 30mpg. It's a stick shift. Knowing someone else who can drive a manual is getting pretty rare these days.

If someone knows has driven an extended period of time with a stick though. This problem is solved. This is also solved if someone can provide a better ride that's not a stick shift.

I include drive time there+back+pickup time. Unless I stay in KC, it takes me 40 minutes to get to either Lenexa or Olathe from Leavenworth. I can all but guarantee that I will be picking up more than one person and logging extra drive time unless you guys can coordinate otherwise. Also, even if I am coming from KC, it's at least 20+ minutes to either place. Given how people usually have to do stuff at the last second, and how I tend to get lost and stuff, and breaks stuff, it adds up rather quickly. 8+ hours sounds pretty likely to me. It happened last week and that was just three people.

IMO things would work out best if you guys could meet at my place in KC. I know that it's not a central location, but it's a 2-3 minute drive from I-70. It would eliminate a lot of problems.

Let me know a soon as possible, preferably by Wednesday. There's a limited number of car slots among other issues. This applies for everyone else as well.

Schedule:
Wednesday
Let me know if you can go by Wednesday. I probably won't accept anyone else after that point.

Thursday.
Travel routes will be finalized.

Friday
This is the prepday. Get you stuff together so that Saturday is brush your hair, brush your teeth, grab your controller, out the door. I may also hold a smashfest on Friday depending on how things work out.

Saturday
Wichita

Legit Legit

Smash Lord
give me an auto all day long. hated driving my first car which was a stick shift
I am soooooooooooo with you on this. This is also good to know for the future.

So far I have these people interested in going:

Me
MJG
Ares
Rick
Rockstar

Just as a warning, it's going to be really cramped as is.

No second driver yet. I honestly feel like someone should have to pay my way in if I have to drive the whole way.

I'll be there today.

On other topics, I lost to a Diddy over the weekend. I didn't ask for his name/tag. He said that he's been to Joker's place a few times. I was pretty sore over it. It was a two stock. Long story short, I don't know how he works at all. I just watched Haze vs. Gnes a while ago and can't make anything of it. Someone is going to need to teach me what I need to know to play against him. MJG, 4rce04, Ares?, if any of you could help me with this, that'd be great.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
The Diddy matchup is probably by far the most fun to play for ice climbers. Atleast in my opinion.

I don't know how to setup the Diddy side of the matchup though. I only know how to jam it from the IC point of view.

Smash Lord
Also, I have no idea who that diddy would be... Where was it?
**** double post meant to edit :[ soz KC
Naka-kon. I don't know what kind of experience he had other than he said that he'd been to joker's a few times. That doesn't necessarily mean he's from IA. Hell, he could have been from Illinois for all I care.

The Diddy matchup is probably by far the most fun to play for ice climbers. Atleast in my opinion.

I don't know how to setup the Diddy side of the matchup though. I only know how to jam it from the IC point of view.
I'm just talking diddy in general and not matchup specific. It's more confusing to me than melee at its fastest pace. Anything that you do know would be appreaciated though.

God, I feel like I'm not good at this game at all and I don't know how to get better. Someone help me, if I can't get to the point where I can at least understand what's going on, I pretty much have to give up and I really don't want to do that. No lies here, I'm at a point of desperation.

Rockstar

Smash Ace
Quote I know what you mean. That's happened to me before. It feels like you have nowhere to go and it will never get better. You have to do what anyone who really wants to get good at this game. Just practice and train against CPUS. Experiment with all your characters moves. Aerials, specials, jab, grab/throws, tilts, and smashes. Just keep fighting CPU's. Level 9's. Decide what move is best for whatever situation your in. That's what I did to get myself out of the predicament. It works.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Well, the obvious answer would be to play more Diddy's until you're comfortable with it. The best way to do that for our region is to do as ENSiS said and wifi people.

The other thing you might want to do is play Diddy for a few weeks. Learn how to play his games so you know what to look for when playing. I did that and got the basics to the point where I could see how to jam his banana game or when to **** my pants when I see an obvious BL coming (or to prevent that situation from happening). Obviously the top tier Diddy mains will be able to work around this, but so far 9/10 Diddy mains that I've played haven't been able to work around jamming their basic stuff and haven't been creative enough to get around it with more quirky tactics. I picked up a lot of the basics by watching youtube of the top tier Diddy mains playing.

I don't know if it's been said yet, but do NOT try to play against a CPU Level 9 Diddy to learn this matchup. Until the CPU stops approaching without a banana for some form of cover, it's probably worthless practice once you get past the point of understanding his move range, knockback, priority, etc. You could get valid competitive info, playing Diddy yourself, on wifi or in person.

MJG

Smash Hero
You shouldn't play lvl 9s until you feel like you know a majority of the MUs (at leas the tourney viable character).

Playing on the ladder for 2 years really helped but thats a LONG time and I know just about every MU (it doesn't mean I know them inside and out though).

The only MUs I didn't learn on wifi were ZSS because you have to be able to PS a lot of her moves and MK because it wasn't even fair for MKs on wifi due to the fact that they would get hit by everything.

EDIT: As for diddy, don't overcomplicate that MU. Learn how to control items, then learn how to control bananas. Instant throw the items and be able to grab the item by simply pressing "A" when the opponent throws it back at you. Learn how to Glide Toss (all I can do with TL is JC throw sadly). As far as diddy himself, be aggro when he has no bananas out and pressure him. When he has one banana out, be cautious of what you are doing. When we has two bananas, camp diddy from afar or just wait for a banana to disappear and pursue him from there. Stage that have platforms aid against diddy as well. You can take his banana, put it on a platform (like on BF or SV) and continue to go from there. Throwing the banana away helps as well, but diddy will just pull another banana out. If there is no platform, depending on your character...you can just take the banana and place yourself between the banana and the opponent and go from there.

If you get monkey humped off stage (Diddy' side B's onto you). DI away from him and recover. That is REALLY hard to avoid since diddy can just follow your DI as both you and diddy are falling and he can footstool you right after. If Diddy Monkey humps you on stage and smacks you, put your shield up and wait for him to either fair or for him to air dodge to the ground, etc. If the Diddy user notices that you are consistantly punishing them for using fair right after smacking you from their side b, they will most likely stop fairing you and they will try to retreat.

DON'T ATTACK DIDDY IF HE IS SITTING IN HIS SHIELD AND HE HAS BANANA.

I don't know how many times I watch people to do this and then they wonder "Why am I getting punished for attacking diddy with a 'full hopped' aerial?" Just don't attack him at all when he is sitting in his shield.

Another issue about diddy that is thrown up in the air is the fact that people want to use the bananas against diddy. This is ok sometimes but...most diddy kongs know how to handle bananas being thrown back at them fairly easy. I am not an amazing diddy kong but I certainly know how to deal with bananas being used against me in almost every situation.

///end

Smash Lord
Play the wifi ladder @ AIB
I have severe problems with connections. 5 days out of the week I don't have a router to work with. The two days I have a chance to work with a router, I'm usually doing stuff. On top of that, my router doesn't give me a strong wireless connection almost no matter what I do. Wired connections aren't really feasible given the location of the TV's in my house.

The other thing you might want to do is play Diddy for a few weeks. Learn how to play his games so you know what to look for when playing. I did that and got the basics to the point where I could see how to jam his banana game or when to **** my pants when I see an obvious BL coming (or to prevent that situation from happening). Obviously the top tier Diddy mains will be able to work around this, but so far 9/10 Diddy mains that I've played haven't been able to work around jamming their basic stuff and haven't been creative enough to get around it with more quirky tactics. I picked up a lot of the basics by watching youtube of the top tier Diddy mains playing.

I don't know if it's been said yet, but do NOT try to play against a CPU Level 9 Diddy to learn this matchup. Until the CPU stops approaching without a banana for some form of cover, it's probably worthless practice once you get past the point of understanding his move range, knockback, priority, etc. You could get valid competitive info, playing Diddy yourself, on wifi or in person.
I'll do this.

I was already aware of the many reasons that computer AI is bad, particularly for characters like Diddy. It's one of the reason I can't seem to get a hold onto this game.

You shouldn't play lvl 9s until you feel like you know a majority of the MUs (at leas the tourney viable character).

Playing on the ladder for 2 years really helped but thats a LONG time and I know just about every MU (it doesn't mean I know them inside and out though).

The only MUs I didn't learn on wifi were ZSS because you have to be able to PS a lot of her moves and MK because it wasn't even fair for MKs on wifi due to the fact that they would get hit by everything.

EDIT: As for diddy, don't overcomplicate that MU. ...
Thanks a bunch this stuff helps a lot.

I will host at some point this week. Probably Friday unless I get some other input.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
So, better half of KS, who all is coming down to Wichita? I don't remember, exactly.

BTW, get Suicune via Nintendo WiFi on your Gen IV Pokemon games, and get Celebi at GameStop. Woot, Black & White come out on March 6th (2 days after Europe's release of the game. Salt.).

Rockstar

Smash Ace
Not really maining mario. That was a joke.

Mr.Doom, ill be there %100 guaranteed. Right now i'm making a promo video for this tournament (its pretty much about all my tournaments) haha. Ill have it uploaded in a bit.

Top Bottom