• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City Area Brawl Thread

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
i blame rock stars incessant double posts. and skill isnt subjective, what skill is needed to win at a game and what skill "Should" be needed to win at a game is. look at melee players who say brawl takes no skill. no it takes different skills then what is the normally excepted skills needed for melee or frankly most fighting games. doesnt make the game inherently bad (other things do though LOL)

Smash Lord
I think skill is subjective. Let me rephrase that. Skill is nonlinear. Skill is based off of 100 different things. This accounts for the variation in tournament results for any game/sport. What is needed to win any game at any time changes with respect to the players, location, matchup, metagame, and so on and so forth.

Has everyone seen this and acted on it? It's important.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=294358
http://forums.majorleaguegaming.com/topic/207452-throwback-events//

Dnyce

Smash Master
Skill is just the ability to do something well. It's why there's arguments on who is better than who all the time. If you just label something as skill, there can be a whole different varieties of what makes that someone skillful (all of which are subjective). However, if you define something first (as danny did) and then base skill on what is predefined, than that particular skill can be objective.

For instance, you can call the ability to win a skill. From this point, whoever wins the most is obviously the most skilled.

However, you can say it takes skill to make a sammich. Since the ability threshold for making sammiches is relatively low, it becomes a contest with a wide variety of tastes and pallets of the consumer that judge how skillful a person is at sammich making (ie subjective). You could have two excellent women sammiches side by side and several people will say sammich A was the best while others say sammich B is the best. Which woman is more skilled at making sammiches?

If their breasts are the same size, it's a subjective argument ;o

Though, to my original point I digress. You can argue that every game your skill goes up. You can become skilled at being predictable or skilled at reinforcing punishable habits just as much as you can refine skills of unpredictability and consciously removing bad habits.
Whether or not this self-definition of skill goes up with each match is something I could care less to argue.

MJG

Smash Hero
Skill is just the ability to do something well. It's why there's arguments on who is better than who all the time. If you just label something as skill, there can be a whole different varieties of what makes that someone skillful (all of which are subjective). However, if you define something first (as danny did) and then base skill on what is predefined, than that particular skill can be objective.

For instance, you can call the ability to win a skill. From this point, whoever wins the most is obviously the most skilled.

However, you can say it takes skill to make a sammich. Since the ability threshold for making sammiches is relatively low, it becomes a contest with a wide variety of tastes and pallets of the consumer that judge how skillful a person is at sammich making (ie subjective). You could have two excellent women sammiches side by side and several people will say sammich A was the best while others say sammich B is the best. Which woman is more skilled at making sammiches?

Though, to my original point I digress. You can argue that every game your skill goes up. You can become skilled at being predictable or skilled at reinforcing punishable habits just as much as you can refine skills of unpredictability and consciously removing bad habits.
Whether or not this self-definition of skill goes up with each match is something I could care less to argue.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Is anyone going to the OKC tourney on the 15th? If it's cheap enough for me to go, I might want to. But otherwise the City of Lawrence is hosting a tourney for high schoolers the same day. I thought I would show up and do some scouting/recruiting if it's warranted. But I don't feel too much like going out of state for a third time in a month.

I'm also willing to host (mjg) in Lawrence all day on Thursday as long as you all get out of here at a decent hour (like at 10pm, I have my internship I have to be up for at 4:30am). If anyone is interested, let me know.

Smash Lord
Is anyone going to the OKC tourney on the 15th? If it's cheap enough for me to go, I might want to. But otherwise the City of Lawrence is hosting a tourney for high schoolers the same day. I thought I would show up and do some scouting/recruiting if it's warranted. But I don't feel too much like going out of state for a third time in a month.

I'm also willing to host (mjg) in Lawrence all day on Thursday as long as you all get out of here at a decent hour (like at 10pm, I have my internship I have to be up for at 4:30am). If anyone is interested, let me know.
Do the scouting. It'll be worth it. Having more people to practice against is more important than one tournament, especially when you don't have to travel.

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
CONFIRMATION: Smash at my house from 5:30 to 11pm. My address is on this thread's first post.

Despite school being over for me, my mom is still working so everyone is out at 11.

DeLux

I'll head out tonight if I can. I have some stuff I want to work on in terms of incorporating my new metagame discoveries into my game play :)

You are all going to be test subjects

@ MJG - Who from Kansas is going and how are you guys doing travel arrangements? Fino is the only one listed. I want to go too since it'll probably be my last tournament shot before San Diego.

DeLux

Hm... I'll talk to Fino about it then. I have a shift that Sunday and it's a two day tourney. But I'm sure I could get that covered. At least if I can't work this out, I can do recruitment.

DeLux

It shouldn't. I'm an Ice Climber main that doesn't know how to chain grab. I am easily the worst over all player in our scene. I just rely on all kinds of gimmicks to get me by.

DeLux

have you ever thought about picking up ness? i hear he gets chain grabs all the time.
I don't understand. He gets chaingrabbed all the time.

I sincerely doubt that.
Well, probably the most overrated then. If you guys didn't get scared of my character, you wouldn't be scared to play me at all. It's the character that makes you guys do weird things against me, not my reads as a player.

When you guys realize I drop about 4 chain grabs per stock and play accordingly, you'd understand.

I'm coming today and potentially bringing someone
Yay recruitment? Scouting? Huzzah

MJG

Smash Hero
Ice Climbers are free.

If more than 3 people total are planning on going to Oh Snap 6, then we will need to take a different car other than Fino's because I am bringing all of my college crap (that I brought home for the break) with me for the return trip back to Manhattan.

Rockstar

Smash Ace
Lux, I think you under rate yourself. I don't think your as bad as you make it sound. You talk like you suck at the game, when you have a really effective tactic, that is almost impossible to get out of, when you pull it off right. You should be more confident brah

DeLux

Ice Climbers are free.
You already beat me so the whole mentality nonsense doesn't apply to you.

If you want to beat me every time, just counterpick Jigglypuff. It works.

DeLux

Lux, I think you under rate yourself. I don't think your as bad as you make it sound. You talk like you suck at the game, when you have a really effective tactic, that is almost impossible to get out of, when you pull it off right. You should be more confident brah
Nah, it's just frustrating that I get more grabs a set on some pretty good players throughout my entire career than any other IC main I've seen, and I always mess up the part that I practice the most and is supposed to be automatic. For the most part, it isn't nerves either, because I do it in every setting.

Am I being hyperbolic? Yes. But is it completely untrue? Not really.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
It shouldn't. I'm an Ice Climber main that doesn't know how to chain grab. I am easily the worst over all player in our scene. I just rely on all kinds of gimmicks to get me by.
You are not the worst, but god damned it I hate IC's

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
very good games. WTF TURNOUT OUT OF NOWHERE! random starwarrior brings his friend (who i never got his name of D:) then psi kick comes without fino, and then quote brings his cute GF. lol most fun ive had in a loooong time XD

Top Bottom