• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City Area Brawl Thread

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Good games tonight. Apparently, someone beat me to the recruiting and scouting part. **** was packed in the basement, which is awesome.

Unofficial official release from my experiments with the smashlab: Toon Link is broken. Do not fix. We are doomed.

And I hate snakes.

I only dropped 31 cg's the entire night. A lower total for me :)

Jason and I are S tier of recognizing how bad at this game we both are.

Oh, and we need to get everyone that was their to make some SWF accounts so we can increase activity and stuff. And so they can start doing research. And learning. And growing. Etc. Then we'll be thriving for sure as a scene

Dnyce

Smash Master
Wait a second. It's got 64. I might be down for this.
Hell yeah, that's why I thought. It's the main reason I'm going anyway

L
I just rely on all kinds of gimmicks to get me by.
Welcome to the past 3 years of my life bro, lmao. You should pick up Olimar, that's about all he has XD

Also, the whole counting dropped grabs thing is kinda ridiculous imo
When you CG'in someone... you just gotta get in the zone - zero emotion, zero facial expression, zero anything but doing what you've done in your room practicing by yourself. Counting how many grabs you drop seems like an infinitely compiling distraction

"I hope I don't drop this grab"
"I've dropped 3 grabs tonight, I hope I don't drop a fourth"
"I've dropped 13 grabs today, **** it if I drop another one"
"People gunna think I'm terrible cause I'm an IC main that can't CG"
"I suck at CG'ing, I'll probably drop this grab, I'm at 23 already"
"I gotta prove to people I can do this, I've drop 26 CGs already, but I know I can get this **** down. I need to finish this grab to be able to win this match"

seems like a massive, unnecessary distraction to me .-.
Think of it as literally blacking out as soon as you get a grab. Your mind goes completely blank and when you wake up you see your opponent at 130 and you're charging a smash.

Anyway, whenever you get over this mental block you seem to have you're going to be scary as ****. People always tell me I'd be a scary ICs main if I actually took the time to learn how to play them seriously (since I get an abnormal amount of grabs and don't **** up often). I'd like to see you fulfill that tho ;o

DeLux

You're kind of right actually. It might be OCD on my part or something (actually, it's a pitcher thing. Playing baseball, I counted pitches, balls, strikes, number of fastballs, curves, changes, knucklecurves, cutters, that I would throw), but the characters that I get into trouble the most when I play are the characters that I start counting things on. (And one's that derail my Ice Block game, but I think I've worked around that slightly)

For example, when I play against you, I'll actually start counting your attacks and know which pikmin is coming out. It's probably why I can never tell whether it's an fsmash, pikmin toss, or grab. They all look the same when you aren't looking and are busy counting stupid stuff.

Or when I play snake, I start counting grenade timers in my head. Or MK I count jumps.

When I've been practicing, I've noticed if I distract myself doing weird obscure fancy CG's (Popo Dthrow, Nana Fthrow, Popo Bthrow, Nana Bthrow, Popo Fthrow, Nana Dthrow, Smobble, Repeat 3 more times), I get more consistent. So I either have to overload my brain or underload it. Just something different.

I actually had some major breakthroughs today with my Wario play though. Mixed in a couple bites and grabs here or there along with staled fsmash. With the new stages released though, I might drop secondaries all together. Apparently IC's are viable on RC. I think it's BS. But that's what people are claiming. I would just need to ban Brinstar.

And I agree. If you played IC's, you would be ridiculous. I think I've been saying since we first played against each other. I mean, try running that desync I showed you next time you're messing around with climbers. That alone will make your IC's better than most mains in the nation. I was using it today, and except when I played MJG's TL or was getting blown up by random C4's, I was playing out of a grab setup for entire sets. It was freaking crazy for me because I wasn't worried about "how am i going to get a grab?". It was just a matter of seeing if my opponent would bite on the bait. And it was using only one desync. I can only imagine what a good player would be able to do with the stuff I know.

Despite what I may say at any point in time, I appreciate your (and everyone elses, but especially your) advice and having you around in the community. I feel like I'm just starting to turn the corner in my competitive play, and my last 3-4 tournaments have showed it.

Ares

Smash Journeyman
Good games tonight. Apparently, someone beat me to the recruiting and scouting part. **** was packed in the basement, which is awesome.

Unofficial official release from my experiments with the smashlab: Toon Link is broken. Do not fix. We are doomed.

And I hate snakes.

I only dropped 31 cg's the entire night. A lower total for me :)

Jason and I are S tier of recognizing how bad at this game we both are.

Oh, and we need to get everyone that was their to make some SWF accounts so we can increase activity and stuff. And so they can start doing research. And learning. And growing. Etc. Then we'll be thriving for sure as a scene
too much truth

Dnyce

Smash Master
tl;dr With the new stages released though, I might drop secondaries all together. Apparently IC's are viable on RC. I think it's BS. But that's what people are claiming. I would just need to ban Brinstar.
New stages released? what is going on?!?!
****, I leave for one ****ing tournament and there's new stages? <.<

*hurts self in confusion*

too much truth
Dude, I met truth today. I two-stocked him in a pika ditto :3 but lost the pike ditto set ;-;

Rockstar

Smash Ace
Yeah, fun games. I didn`t even get to play half the people there haha. Crowded? H*** yes. Awesome? H*** yes.
Wish I had time to play MJ. Thanks for the tips Raptor. Lol Lux you seemed frustrated on our Delfino Plaza (Mario vs Wario) match. I didn`t mean to p*** you off, if I did.

Also, you kind of shattered all hope of that One hit KO Mario theory. I spent about 2 hours looking for it on youtube, but didn`t find squat. Thanks a lot!

Fino you should`ve been there, it was sweet. Your advice is really good too. Hesitation and distractions are crucial.

Great fest everyone. Next week will be even better for me. Mario`s getting better every minute. Just wait. You`ll see...

DeLux

Read new stages released as the supposed nationwide ruleset stagelist. The one that got rid of Norfair, meaning in a 5 set, I only have to worry about 1 "unviable" counterpick instead of two.

Lux you seemed frustrated on our Delfino Plaza (Mario vs Wario) match. I didn`t mean to p*** you off, if I did.
I don't ever get to the point of pissed off when playing. It's only a game, and I treat it as such. However, I don't appreciate if I take the time to sit down and help you if you do things that are unsportsmanlike to show me up. Especially when you're losing the set.

If you're beating me, that's one thing. And when you get to the point where you wipe the floor with people, including me, then you can do whatever you want and I promise you won't hear a single complaint from me. Anything is fair game then.

For example, I killed MJG with a few ridiculous wafts in teams. But I didn't do any celebratory shenanigans from it because I understand he's doing me a favor and giving me valuable practice that I wouldn't otherwise normally get. Gotta pay my dues and respects to get better.

If I'm giving you practice, then you should probably not do that kind of stuff or I swear to God I will with my last dying breath learn how to perfect cg to 999% against the characters you play and do that to every life. Or run away with Wario for 8 minutes and not bother with winning or losing :)

But given the right mindset on your part, I will share everything in my limited knowledge of the game to help you get better, even if it's at a detriment to my own ability to win in the short term. In the long term, I feel it'll make me better. Just ask Quote about this if you don't believe that I'd go to that length.

Also, you kind of shattered all hope of that One hit KO Mario theory. I spent about 2 hours looking for it on youtube, but didn`t find squat. Thanks a lot!
LOL. I was alluding to the fact that a grounded footstool is much like how Mario kills things in all his games outside of SSB. I was comparing Squirtle to Koopas, who you have to grounded footstool twice, once to deshell and the next time to kill. And obviously Bowser is like a boss, so you have to footstool him 3 times for the kill, like a boss.

DeLux

I'll be hosting this Thursday for whoever wants to come to Lawrence. I get off work at noon, but have some errands to run until 2pm. I'll probably make everyone leave around 10 though, because I have my intership at 5am the next day. If you want to come, you'll have to text me at the new number I'm running with for the time being (785) 691-8560. Danny, you should update my number and my bio on the OP2 :)

I'm in the process of writing a proposal to get use of that venue. I need to submit before January 9, but before that I wanted to guage the level of commitment from you guys. What would be a good date for EVERYONE to attend and to maybe help me run it? I was looking into a Late February - March date. If we can figure out our schedules, I'll probably post a tournament thread guaging interest from the region. I've already gotten some interest from the Lawrence Melee scene in co-running a melee tournament at the same time.

Smash Lord
But given the right mindset on your part, I will share everything in my limited knowledge of the game to help you get better, even if it's at a detriment to my own ability to win in the short term. In the long term, I feel it'll make me better. Just ask Quote about this if you don't believe that I'd go to that length.
True story.

LOL. I was alluding to the fact that a grounded footstool is much like how Mario kills things in all his games outside of SSB. I was comparing Squirtle to Koopas, who you have to grounded footstool twice, once to deshell and the next time to kill. And obviously Bowser is like a boss, so you have to footstool him 3 times for the kill, like a boss.
I was just kidding with you, but I didn`t know you`d take it that serious. I apologize. Hope you feel better soon.
:080:

I'll be hosting this Thursday for whoever wants to come to Lawrence. I get off work at noon, but have some errands to run until 2pm. I'll probably make everyone leave around 10 though, because I have my intership at 5am the next day. If you want to come, you'll have to text me at the new number I'm running with for the time being (785) 691-8560. Danny, you should update my number and my bio on the OP2 :)

I'm in the process of writing a proposal to get use of that venue. I need to submit before January 9, but before that I wanted to guage the level of commitment from you guys. What would be a good date for EVERYONE to attend and to maybe help me run it? I was looking into a Late February - March date. If we can figure out our schedules, I'll probably post a tournament thread guaging interest from the region. I've already gotten some interest from the Lawrence Melee scene in co-running a melee tournament at the same time.
This is too far in the future for me to tell.

Btw you need to talk to the melee crowd. I don't think they know you at all. Honda said something about running something a while back. He might be able to help you run the melee portion of this.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Hey I know this is the brawl thread but there is atleast some ssb64 interest in here (quote/fino/stealth). I just recorded some new combos and posted em all on mah youtube. Thanks to HondaFoo for coming out to lawrence and bringing his recording equipment. Feedback is appreciated.

My Youtube

DeLux

Nobody has texted me that they are coming. I don't have phone numbers because I'm on a new number. Please let me know if you're coming so we can coordinate address via text.

Smash Lord
Nobody has texted me that they are coming. I don't have phone numbers because I'm on a new number. Please let me know if you're coming so we can coordinate address via text.
I'm coming. Phone number = nine one three seven o four seven nine oh seven. I'm not sure when I'll make it though. I'll be able to tell you more after I wake up tomorrow.

DeLux

I'm off work now and at home. I'll be taking a nap until someone shows. CALL before you come. And if I don't answer, keep calling my phone will wake me eventually lol.

If you can, someone please bring another setup if we want a second one going.

DeLux

Ares needed a ride. And make sure you call my new number and not my old one.

DeLux

You still can. But given that everyone is dropping out, you might not want to.

DeLux

Well since so far it's only me practicing chain grabs, I'd say we started right about when I woke up.

DeLux

Correct. I am chaingrabbing in the dropped CG capitol of the world aka my apartment in Lawrence.

I'm confused tbh. I told my GF I couldn't hang out because everyone was coming over. And then everyone bailed. Owned.

Top Bottom