• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City Area Brawl Thread

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
CONFIRMATION: Smash at my house today (monday) 5:30-11:00. All are welcome (Give a heads up if you're new) and directions are on first post.

Since this is just after tournament, should we be expecting a lot of no-shows and ****ing around?

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I can't make it, I'm not going to be back until Wednesday =\

DeLux

If we get enough people to go, I might try to make it.

I've missed a lot of work lately so more than likely I'm out though.

DeLux

Man, I'm so confused, I thought today was Monday.

bbl cosby show

DeLux

I don't work tomorrow night, so I'll host up until dodgeball, people can come play that are down.

I'll be working on my Lucas extensively :)

DeLux

I have conscience issues with the Chain Grabs. Since the next to worse thing is grab release shenanigans, I've been playing a lot of Wario and Lucas in order to absolve me of guilt for my past transgressions.

DeLux

Oh, by conscience issues, I mean that Lucas is like the top tier of low tier for low tier tournaments. I already played Ness/Lucas noncompetitively before I picked up Olimar and then ICs when I first got Brawl.

I might drop Wario though, because I'm better with ICs on RC/Brin than I am with Wario on those stages ironically.

And IDK if you want exp from my ICs. I'm bad and also play much differently than most other ICs.

DeLux

Double post for that I'm clear to go to Iowa this weekend.

Who's with me? If I get ONE other person, it'll be worth it imo

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I think someone from Wichita might want to go to Iowa with you, (Lux). I'll see if he wants to go.

Edit: No, he doesn't. Sorry. =(

DeLux

Fino and I are leaving the Lenexa area around 8. Anyone want to last minute tag along?
We only plan to stay for singles, so we should be back around 9

DeLux

too late lol

Fino won by the way.
I lost by the way.

Thanks for the wishes though :)

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I'll make sure Holms brings some up.

Edit: Oh...wait. Wrong thread. I figured M2K was still asking for some.

Perfect Duck

Smash Journeyman
CONFIRMATION: Smash at my house Monday different time 5:30-10:00pm. I have a very important test on Tuesday morning and I want to be well-rested for it.

Funny you should mention controllers now, because I just recently acquired two gamecube controllers from a thrift store. I haven't tested them but one feels gently worn and the other feels out-of-box new.

DeLux

If it's not pouring rain and I'm not pissed off from work, I'll probably come.

DeLux

ggs everyone

I kind of want to quit playing ICs after going like 0-a billion yesterday. They aren't fun for me and just a giant presence of pressure that I don't really need. I have much more fun being bad with a bad character than being bad with a good character.

Losing with ICs is like a huge setback.
Losing with Lucas is fun.

It's weird.

DeLux

I haven't heard/seen lol

I'd point out it's not the ICs that are the problem, it's me. I've been on a choking streak as of late every time I get the grab. I might as well just play DDD and bthrow. I'd get more grabs and it would be more damage lol

When I play Lucas, I thoroughly expect to lose at this point, so I just shrug it off and do what I want.

When you lose when you're playing to win, it sucks a fat one.
When you lose when you're playing Lucas, you aren't playing to win. You don't drop grabs as often with Lucas :)

MJG

Smash Hero
I haven't heard/seen lol

I'd point out it's not the ICs that are the problem, it's me. I've been on a choking streak as of late every time I get the grab. I might as well just play DDD and bthrow. I'd get more grabs and it would be more damage lol

When I play Lucas, I thoroughly expect to lose at this point, so I just shrug it off and do what I want.

When you lose when you're playing to win, it sucks a fat one.
When you lose when you're playing Lucas, you aren't playing to win. You don't drop grabs as often with Lucas :)
Bad mindset. Don't go into matches expecting to lose (and that goes for any character that you are using).

Having good tech skill, one's knowledge of the game and the characters, spacing with your character and knowing what do in certain situations is good and all but...Adaptability, reaction time, the ability to read your opponents and the right mentality separate the "good" players who can go head to head in a local/regional tourney and the "amazing" players who can and will be a national threat. Even the best players can have their off days and I feel like the biggest part of that is due to their mentallity when going into a match. I was talking to Domo about this not too long ago and I know that he (Along with myself) doesn't like looking at the bracket when it comes down to knowing who you will have to play if you beat player A and/or player B. I don't know what his reasoning behind that is but for me personally, I don't like thinking about what I have to do before a match. If you know enough about the MU and you go into the match with a good mindset, it usually comes down to the better player (outside of the random bull **** that happens in brawl) in most cases.

If I had to rank any of those aspects for brawl (and other things in general) it would look like this:

1) Mentality
2) Ability to read your opponents
3) Adaptability
4) Reaction time

Obviously there are other factors that come into play when playing brawl, but I believe that those 4 factors are key. I am not gonna lie and say that I always have a positive mindset because I don't...but, I go into every match saying "Just play your best and things will go your way" and right before a match, I tell myself to "have fun". It's my way of putting myself in a "comfort zone" before each match.

As long as you are having fun, that is what really counts and it is what matters most to me when playing anyone in tourney.

///rant

Rockstar

Smash Ace
Bad mindset. Don't go into matches expecting to lose (and that goes for any character that you are using).

Having good tech skill, one's knowledge of the game and the characters, spacing with your character and knowing what do in certain situations is good and all but...Adaptability, reaction time, the ability to read your opponents and the right mentality separate the "good" players who can go head to head in a local/regional tourney and the "amazing" players who can and will be a national threat. Even the best players can have their off days and I feel like the biggest part of that is due to their mentallity when going into a match. I was talking to Domo about this not too long ago and I know that he (Along with myself) doesn't like looking at the bracket when it comes down to knowing who you will have to play if you beat player A and/or player B. I don't know what his reasoning behind that is but for me personally, I don't like thinking about what I have to do before a match. If you know enough about the MU and you go into the match with a good mindset, it usually comes down to the better player (outside of the random bull **** that happens in brawl) in most cases.

If I had to rank any of those aspects for brawl (and other things in general) it would look like this:

1) Mentality
2) Ability to read your opponents
3) Adaptability
4) Reaction time

Obviously there are other factors that come into play when playing brawl, but I believe that those 4 factors are key. I am not gonna lie and say that I always have a positive mindset because I don't...but, I go into every match saying "Just play your best and things will go your way" and right before a match, I tell myself to "have fun". It's my way of putting myself in a "comfort zone" before each match.

As long as you are having fun, that is what really counts and it is what matters most to me when playing anyone in tourney.

///rant
Too true.

(Side note to whoever thought I actually switched) I never mained Lucas. It was a joke. Ness <3

DeLux

Man, just when I thought we'd have something in common :(

Ensis, thanks for the advice, it more or less answered what I said I was going to ask you on skype but you haven't been on for me to discuss.

Although, the question is, what if it's to my advantage to know who I'm playing because of the technical demands of my character? (CGing character to character has different timings) Would it be better to go in and just play or prepare fully in your opinion?

MJG

Smash Hero
Although, the question is, what if it's to my advantage to know who I'm playing because of the technical demands of my character? (CGing character to character has different timings) Would it be better to go in and just play or prepare fully in your opinion?

What you stated relates to ICs. They are different from every character in the game because of the obvious infinites that they have on the entire cast.

Its homicide...and im killin em

what stgealth said

Top Bottom