• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City Area Brawl Thread

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
@ Lux

John 1
John 2
John 3

No offence, but saying that he ranks up with us is utterly ignorant.
No offense, but none of us are that good. There isn't a "ranks up with us" because our status isn't something to be desired. It's something to be surpassed. It's not me being ignorant so much as you being arrogant. In our scene, we have an upper tier player that borders the ranks of the top tier of players, one that ranks just outside the upper tier of players, and the rest of us, including myself, are a joke.

He played. He won. If he was able to navigate all the randomness of items and all the outside elements of FFA on his way to victory, that's a demonstration of even more skill on his part. You can knock it all you want, but at the end of the day you have to wonder, "If he's so bad, what does that say about the person that lost to him?"

Be happy with your money of course, but there had to be something you could have done differently to win. Instead of focusing on environmental factors, I'd personally focus on what it takes to win.

Real talk out

Danny: What are you doing Saturday for the game. And what am I going to do about my bracket now that St. John and Lousiville derailed my dreams of perfection?

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I should be asleep right now. But since I'm awake, I thought I might pass this along.

My Serperior and I are out. Goodnight.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
my serperior just owned the elite four second run through despite being ten levels under everyting. leech seed + coil + leaf blade to good. so is haxorus with swords dance, dragon claw now outrage, x-scissor, and earthquake but i digress

Ares

Smash Journeyman
Lux quit trolling, we da bess in da midwess

my serperior just owned the elite four second run through despite being ten levels under everyting. leech seed + coil + leaf blade to good. so is haxorus with swords dance, dragon claw now outrage, x-scissor, and earthquake but i digress
stfu danny, u dont know **** about pokemon (fino voice)

Dnyce

Smash Master
@ Lux lol. Thats ridiculous. This guy beat me because 1, It was a free for all. 2, Items were turned on. 3, I had to use a controller that had alien controlls to me. That was the first time i`d played brawl with a wiimote.

No offence, but saying that he ranks up with us is utterly ignorant.
Idk, ike is 2 spots higher on the tier list than ness... I think he had the win from the start.
If you really wanted to win, you would've played metaknight, and spammed upB n stuff. If you had planked the ledge in sudden death, the Ike player would have eventually succumb to the random bombs that fall, thus netting you the win.
So, in respect to the 3 points... I present how you can grow as a player:
1- Learn to cope with situations you are unfamiliar with.
2- Learn how to use items.
3- It was specifically mentioned that only wii-motes provided by the library were to be used, thus it is your own fault for not practicing with it or experimenting with control settings that compliment your ability to play. Thus, an extension of number 1.

No johns. To say the player doesn't rank up with you, or even that he isn't better than you, is ignorant. In the end, who won? The rules were clearly stated before you entered; however, you developed mental barriers that inevitably lead to your loss - barriers that random ike guy did not have.

In competition, what matters is winning. You still have not learned how to play to win.
i wish i was under eighteen i could make real cash.

L
10realtalks

we out :shyguy: :shyguy:

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I'm just idling around, trying to level up my pokemon. Then I'll try to catch stationary pokemon, like Kyurem.
[collapse="My Team"]Vic Viper - Victini (63)

Fuzzy - Male Galvantula (63)

ダイケンキ - Female Samurott (64)

Onox - Male Haxorus (63)

Hans - Male Hydreigon (65)

Basil - Male Serperior (79)
[/collapse]
Edit: I can challenge the Elite Four for a second time anytime now, but I'm just idling around.

DeLux

mannnnnn

I guess it's too late to get into competitive pokemon for this generation. You guys are almost maxed out at level 80 and playing catch up in Brawl has been hard enough

=[

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
mannnnnn

I guess it's too late to get into competitive pokemon for this generation. You guys are almost maxed out at level 80 and playing catch up in Brawl has been hard enough

=[
It's not too late man in-game teams will get wrecked by competitive teams almost all the time. Competitive 5th gen just started in the U.S unless you played on the online servers, own a JPN copy of B/W or played a English Rom but old Ubers like the Laties, Garchomp, Salamence, Deoxys (Speed and Defense form) Mew and Wobbuffet are now Uber cause they are not as dominant as they used to be along with the access of stealth rock because they are more faster and hard-hitting pokes now.

@Mr. Doom-your team are way ahead of my in-game team in levels man cause I been searching all over the place and wasting 3-4 days on getting good natures for the 3 musketeers.

DeLux

So we went to the library and did our speel and played some. There was some strong interest in playing competitively from many of the players that showed. The good part is that most of them were receptive to what we had to say. Except one kid who was super angry. Ask Fino about the John story. He'd tell it better than I can :)

But yeah, I gave them all my email and this site, so we'll see how many of them follow through with contacting me. I have a feeling a Yoshi and Kirby player had huge potential in being the type to follow through and start playing with us.

DeLux

The Lawrence Public Library? In Lawrence.

From 3-5:30 or so

DeLux

Well, you missed the John story. Fino should tell you.

If he doesnt' and I get more bored at work, I'll tell you haha

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I live in the area and looking to be competitive. Though an actually offline game would be hard for me, I'll be up to have a wfi match if anyone is looking for it and I'm good to fight anyone. Their isn't alot of "competitive" so the more experience the better. If it matters I play yoshi ( yes I know he is low tier) and I'm open to fight any character. I hope to battle / meet you people soon!

DeLux

Most of our scene is located in the OP/Lenexa area so it shouldn't be too difficult in terms of travel for you to get together with someone offline.

I think at the moment I'm the only one in Lawrence.

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
It's definetly not because I don't trust people here, but just when dealing with people online. My parents main worry would probably be going to someone's house without meeting them first.

Dnyce

Smash Master
I don't trust anyone... but then again, being a lady in community of mostly men is scurry.

*goes back to sandwich making*

DeLux

Alright Boomer, after Wifing with you for like 3 hours tonight, I can safely say "Welcome to the Crew"

As you asked, I'm going to post some of my over lying critiques of what we played. Most of it is just going to be philosophy stuff, but if Danny or Collin have something to throw in that I'm wrong on, by all means please correct me since you guys are definitely more experienced and skilled.

First I want to say that I'm already impressed on how willing you are and quickly you learn. Most of the time if people randomly say "play me on wifi" over PM, I'm not as willing because playing ICs on wifi is hard as hell. But you said something along the lines of, "I think I figured out a new technique and I want to test it out on a good player and see what happens" This shows me that A. You want to try new things on your own to get better and B. You're willing to adapt new things to your gameplay to get better. All of which equates to C. You want to get better. Which all are great mindsets to have in my opinion as you develop your game style.

As we played, I was also impressed with how you shifted your gamestyle. Once I pointed out to you that hard approaching ICs = death, you went straight into the Yoshi Metagame of Egg Toss Camping to force approach. Remember that for the most part, the Egg Toss is used to condition your opponent to approach. Once they make a motion to approach, stop throwing eggs to avoid being punished. It's better to hedge on the side of caution, especially with the shield draining properties of egg spam, to just sit and wait if you even think they're approaching. A reset situation is a safe situation. So even if you have a 50/50 situation of pressuring your opponent to approach combined with a reset, you still are putting some pressure, even if it's not as much. But it's ok to sit and wait and throw eggs. Pitch a tent, start a campfire, start singing a song. If you can trade damage at an infinite to 0 advantage over a given period of time, you might as well assuming you have a long enough time.

You don't have to roll through your opponent when you roll. You would either spot dodge or roll through me, never rolling away. Rolling away is often the safest thing you can do if you're stuck in that situation, especially with ICs. If you use a better character, an even better option out of shield would be to Full Hop Air Dodge, but since you play Yoshi you can't do that

Which kind of leads me to my next topic about knowing your character's strengths. When we played, there was one match where I used Tornado 45 times combined with 5 Dsmashes for the kills. One of the advantages of Yoshi's shield is that it can't be shield poked, so rather than trying to spot dodge every move, often times it's ok to just hold your shield down. Especially against tornado, which relies partly on it's shield poking properties for it to be safe, it's good to hold shield for an entire move. Go look at the matchup guides and character guides of the character you main. You'll learn things like Yoshi has a CG on MK using grab releases and that there's a guaranteed usmash finisher if done at high percents. We wouldn't expect you to know that now, but you eventually want to get to the point where you win and lose based on gameplay, never on game knowledge.

This also relates to character weaknesses too. When we played, you picked Yoshi, Link, Mario, Ness and Mr. Game and Watch. Except for Mr. G&W, all of those characters are in the range of terrible to horrible, to be bluntly honest. Obviously it's good to enjoy playing your character and having fun with who you main. But in terms of competitive viability, it's fun to win. And if you want to win, you ought to consider picking up at least a high tier character to some degree. Don't get me wrong, Kansas is fairly famous for having the top tier players of lower tier characters (looks at Wichita like WTF happened down there). But don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Based on statistics, if you want a level playing field for success, you'll pick from the top tier of characters someone you have fun with. If you're like Ares and I and it's Metaknight you have fun with, then welcome to the Green Team.

I PM'd you a thread on how to DI. If you need help going through it, just let me know. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Usually amongst the crew members (especially from Collin and Danny) you'll get satisfactory information. Or we'll be super sarcastic and tell you something that is super obviously wrong under scrutiny if you bother enough to fact check. Either way you'll get your answers though.

Top Bottom