• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City Area Brawl Thread

Ares

Smash Journeyman
I'm having trouble finding Denis's Book of World Records, do any of you know if the johnson county library has one? I searched amazon and can't find his book still. Thanks guys

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I'm sorry about the ice cream. You can come home now.

Rockstar

Smash Ace
Quote, what time are you hosting this Friday.

(Lux), what time tomorrow?

Raptor, your definently right. My playstyle has been really proactive. I think i`m only good when I play aggressive. I`m not amazing at reads like you, fino, and lux, so I just go all out. My goal is to try to give as much pressure on the opponent as I can. Lately since i`ve been hard at practice, i`m making a good comeback and it`s starting to work.

DeLux

I work 2pm to 1am on Saturday the 26th :(

No biweekly.

However, still down to do that whobo watchfest. Although if someone else would host, like Danny, I'd go there to watch the KU game at 6 :) :) :)

Ares

Smash Journeyman
Every IC main should make a combo video of just chain grabs. Nothing fancy, bthrow > dthrow for about 8 min. No breaks. i'd watch it.

Smash Lord
Quote, what time are you hosting this Friday.

(Lux), what time tomorrow?

Raptor, your definently right. My playstyle has been really proactive. I think i`m only good when I play aggressive. I`m not amazing at reads like you, fino, and lux, so I just go all out. My goal is to try to give as much pressure on the opponent as I can. Lately since i`ve been hard at practice, i`m making a good comeback and it`s starting to work.
It starts at 2:00 and depending on attendance can go as long as 11:00.

As for the proactive thing. If you have the time, I have some articles I think you would gain a lot from reading.

http://shoryuken.com/content/strategy-corner-quick-guide-reaction-based-defense-364/

http://sonichurricane.com/?p=2029

Both of them would be insightful reads for you I'd think. It's all game theory so I wouldn't worry about occasional the Street Fighter technical jargon.

If you want to work with this, DO NOT IMPLEMENT IT ALL AT ONCE. It's taken me roughly 8 months to repair my game after switching to an almost entirely reaction-based playstyle all at once, and I think that it still isn't up to par yet. It was so foreign that when I first started, I was getting 3 stocked by computers. Implement it bit by bit.

As far as getting reads go, it's all about observation. It's not an easy thing to explain without a wall of text. Not to mention, I think that everyone goes about it differently judging from from the people I've talked to about it ask around when you get the chance. It's actually kind of interesting. I'd write a number of articles on it if I actually had expertise and credibility to work with.

DeLux

I'm probably not gonna host tomorrow since nobody has shown any interest in it.

Smash Lord
Depending on how I feel tomorrow, I might try to go to one of these things. Don't count me as confirmed though.

Dear god I hope they have GC controllers. They said something about using library equipment only and said "both wii remotes and nunchucks will be available." I could only imagine what could go wrong here.

I hope they aren't seriously worried about some one coming in with some kind of macro modified controllers. Because that just sounds dumb at this level. If the TO, knows anything about that kind of stuff you should try and play him/her at some point.

On the upside, their one picture suggests that they understand the value of 1v1 play,
and that more than 1 setup is necessary.

You should probably ignore anyone using Ike, or Kirby. From watching the Library tournament in Lawrence, Ike's were always F-smash and U-smash happy. The usual Kirby game plan was get in the air and down-B. This was fairly universal.

Rockstar

Smash Ace
It'll be kind of fun.

As far as the controllers, they had a tournament last year with the same exact rules. I brought my own controller, and they didn't even care. So I doubt it'll be a big deal.

Tourney entrance ages are 10-18. They want everyone to bring as many people possible. So come if you can. Everyone that goes gets prizes/treats whether they enter or not, so why not.

Smash Lord
As a side note, if I go to this, I'm definitely going to drop by (Lux)'s place if he still hosts.

How many people showed up last year?

Will I be able to play friendlies there after the tournament?

Rockstar

Smash Ace
Nice.

Last year there was a pretty decent amount. Skill level isn't quite as high as the money competitive 18+ scene.

As far as friendlies, most likely. There not stengy/picky really. Just to have a good time.

DeLux

Since you don't answer your texts, make sure you record so we can make a hype video out of it.

Smash Lord
So yeah, This thing had prize support. 75$ for second place and 100$ for first. We should use this place as a venue. At the very least we should talk them into hosting smaller scale weekly/biweekly stuff geared towards practice. That pool of people was large enough that there had to be some people in there that we missed.

Hosting tomorrow regardless. Starts at 2:00.

7221 Lafayette Ave, Kansas City, KS 66109.

Rockstar

Smash Ace
Tournament was pretty fun. Rules were totally different. Single elimination, 4 player free for all, items on, and 5 minute timer. And you could only use a wiimote. (Which i`d never done before)

I made it to the grand finals & lost to an Ike in sudden death. So I got $75 for second. And it was free to enter, so i`m satisfied

DeLux

We should use this place as a venue. At the very least we should talk them into hosting smaller scale weekly/biweekly stuff geared towards practice. That pool of people was large enough that there had to be some people in there that we missed.
You should call them and set something up. Did you guys recruit the person that won? If they beat Rockstar, that would by default make them the Number 3 player in our scene behind Collin and Danny. Unless SquivyT is better, because he also beat Rockstar at Smash Thunder in Paola, KS. We need to matchup SquivyT and this guy that won the library.

So the KC Power rankings shape up as:

1. Fino
2. Stealth
3-4. SquivyT/Library Man in ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny
5. Rockstar

If Scrub cared he'd be in there around 3 I think. Ares and I are bad so we're unranked.

Oh I forgot to rank in Quote. Who wins between Quote and Rockstar nowadays?

SquivyT, why did you not go to the library tournament?

Smash Lord
You should call them and set something up. Did you guys recruit the person that won? If they beat Rockstar, that would by default make them the Number 3 player in our scene behind Collin and Danny. Unless SquivyT is better, because he also beat Rockstar at Smash Thunder in Paola, KS. We need to matchup SquivyT and this guy that won the library.

So the KC Power rankings shape up as:

1. Fino
2. Stealth
3-4. SquivyT/Library Man in ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny
5. Rockstar

If Scrub cared he'd be in there around 3 I think. Ares and I are bad so we're unranked.

Oh I forgot to rank in Quote. Who wins between Quote and Rockstar nowadays?

SquivyT, why did you not go to the library tournament?
Ack. So much to respond to. Actually not really. That first paragraph is all troll and should be responded to with Rockstar: I won money. U mad? or something along those lines.

Well I guess that the first sentence has merit. I can definitely talk to them the next time I'm down there/going to blake's place if someone doesn't beat me to it. I actually really do want to set something up. I still can't get over the 52 entrants thing.

Rockstar beats me usually. At the very least he beat me today each time we played.

As a side note I shouldn't be ranked. I'm not good.

DeLux

How is that trolling?
I am taking statistics and interpreting them in the "X beat Y in tournament, therefore X is better than Y in tournament." I am judging based on results, not some bias on my part. That's like the opposite of trolling.

Obviously if the person won the tournament, they must have some talent. Or at least be able to play to win, so even if they aren't "talented", they'll be moldable to do what it takes to win. So I'll ask again, did you guys recruit him?

Edit: I mean, I could interpret it that "X beat Y because of a character matchup", but it would be a **** move for me to point out given how defensive some people get about characters on the Red Team.

Please don't just "want to set something up". If you really want it, go out and do it. Contact the guy. Contact the library. Do work.

Speaking of going out and doing it, Fino and I will be running our event at the Lawrence Library tomorrow. So I don't think we'll be coming out to play at your place.

Rockstar

Smash Ace
@ Lux lol. Thats ridiculous. This guy beat me because 1, It was a free for all. 2, Items were turned on. 3, I had to use a controller that had alien controlls to me. That was the first time i`d played brawl with a wiimote.

No offence, but saying that he ranks up with us is utterly ignorant.

@ Quote maybe you should go to Fino/Lux`s event? Wouldn`t be a bad idea.

@ Raptor, $75 is a little much I agree haha.

Top Bottom