• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

D

Deleted member

I would be fine with something like that if we got his golden belly back.

Also a little of fridge brilliance with the golden belly, but in real life crocodiles have tough hides but soft under bellies. So to have an anthropomorphic crocodile basically patch up that weakness with a metal is actually a pretty clever way of fixing an achilles' heel. So to see him with that feature gone after DK64, it makes him look more exposed.
I like to think he got too fat after binge eating through depression of losing against the Kongs so many times that his belly outgrew the gold plating. :awesome:

Smady

Smash Master
I like to think he got too fat after binge eating through depression of losing against the Kongs so many times that his belly outgrew the gold plating. :awesome:
DK64 K. Rool is almost like an entirely different character in that regard. It's almost as if it's a game based on the animated series rather than the game.

Smady

Smash Master
In what regard?
Well this may sound silly, but he actually talks for one thing, and has a very goofy, comical voice like in the cartoon. His ending boss fight is a collection of cartoon-y segments where the lights fall on his head, he slips on a banana and is hit by a bazooka. It also reverts him back to his classic king outfit, which is not solely in the animated series of course, but certainly fits what I'm saying. Not that he is at all bad in DK64, I think he's one of the best parts of it, it just always came across as trying to meld together the overarching franchise that DKC was at the time with the games.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Well this may sound silly, but he actually talks for one thing, and has a very goofy, comical voice like in the cartoon.
What? It doesn't sound comical to me. It isn't at all like the cartoon voice, it's much deeper and serious sounding.
His ending boss fight is a collection of cartoon-y segments where the lights fall on his head, he slips on a banana and is hit by a bazooka. It also reverts him back to his classic king outfit, which is not solely in the animated series of course, but certainly fits what I'm saying. Not that he is at all bad in DK64, I think he's one of the best parts of it, it just always came across as trying to meld together the overarching franchise that DKC was at the time with the games
So basically you think K. Rool is a more comical character in DK64 than the Country games? I think that's just because there wasn't really any room to showcase his personality before.

And really, the final boss battle is the only time in the game that he seems somewhat goofy. In the intro and cut-scenes he's portrayed as a pretty serious character. Planning to destroy DK Isles (he actually does it in the Game Over scene), intimidating his minions, having Klaptraps guard the workers so they can't leave etc. He even had one of the Kasplats killed.

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
So basically you think K. Rool is a more comical character in DK64 than the Country games? I think that's just because there wasn't really any room to showcase his personality before.

And really, the final boss battle is the only time in the game that he seems somewhat goofy. In the intro and cut-scenes he's portrayed as a pretty serious character. Planning to destroy DK Isles (he actually does it in the Game Over scene), intimidating his minions, having Klaptraps guard the workers so they can't leave etc. He even had one of the Kasplats killed.
Well it's just a difference of opinion in that case. I don't think he's necessarily more comical than in the DKC games as much as they use the voice acting and 3D animation to highlight his goofiness. But altogether it seems like they were trying to bring him more towards the K. Rool everyone knows the best. There are other reasons for that besides the cartoon, like this being the only Nintendo 64 DKC game, but I think they at least took it all into account.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'll point out that, while you're right in that the DK64 K. Rool has moments far more serious than Toon K. Rool ever did, he does have some similarities to what you mentioned. Out of 40 episodes of Toon K. Rool, I don't think there was even one in which he didn't intimidate his minions to some degree (albeit more by screaming than by physical threats). The plot of one of them also involved him threatening to sink the island into the ocean as a ransom demand (another featured his minions carrying out a plan to flat out blow it up, although he didn't order this).

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
The OP is beautiful. Perfect arguements, perfect art, perfect music. Perfection.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I appreciate the compliments on the OP. I went all out in designing it so that, if K. Rool gets in, it'll be a monument serving as a testament to his previous support, whereas, if he's not, I can save the BBCode and, whenever the next Smash gets announced, immediately resurrect the same sort of community we've got going right now. It's been a lot of fun watching it grow with more and more content as time has passed.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I can't believe for all of my time on Smashboards, I've never once posted on the K. Rool thread! It may not seem like it, but I support K. Rool a lot, so you could add me to the supporters list.

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
Never cared much for him, until I stumbled upon this Thread and research a bit, since I never played a DKC until the end.
Now he is my most wanted Newcomer, right after Tingle and Waluigi.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'd dare to say it's the best OP in any character support thread.
I would... have to say that too actually, now that I really think about it.

Still amazed too how that one K. Rool render became better and better looking the more it was re-posted earlier. Now that was some teamwork if anything.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
If K. Rool were to make it in, would you rather he have his own victory theme (like a Life Lost theme) rather than DK's?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If K. Rool were to make it in, would you rather he have his own victory theme (like a Life Lost theme) rather than DK's?
I don't know if K. Rool should get special treatment for something like that, but if all characters were to get unique victory themes, his should totally be a segment of the Gangplank Galleon theme.

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
I appreciate the compliments on the OP. I went all out in designing it so that, if K. Rool gets in, it'll be a monument serving as a testament to his previous support, whereas, if he's not, I can save the BBCode and, whenever the next Smash gets announced, immediately resurrect the same sort of community we've got going right now. It's been a lot of fun watching it grow with more and more content as time has passed.
Kudos to you for taking all the time to make it so damn awesome bro.
One thing though, now that we all know the King does not appear in TF (thanks a lot Retro for giving us that great and totallly original final boss!), maybe when you have time you could edit that part in the section of counter points (argument 1).

Groose

Smash Champion
I think I've mentioned it before, but the OP is definitely amazing, probably the best on any on the boards.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You know, I guess I never really directly compared it to others, but the OP of this thread is really quite top-notch. It has all the necessary components to show off the character in question, goes into detail about why the character would make an excellent addition to the roster, provides plenty of bonus content for the character, and, perhaps most importantly, does a great job analyzing arguments for and against the characters inclusion. Reading through it again makes me really want to see K. Rool appear in Smash; hopefully we can see that realized.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I love it. It does look so right, so perfect. Ridley please, I'm serious. I want to see what you guys can do.
Well Moon did Ridley, but it's just the Brawl render.

Not all that terribly exciting. Oh and uh, K. Rool and stuff. I wonder how many people would fall for that render of the king and think it's official...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I wonder how many people would fall for that render of the king and think it's official...
You could always go to GameFAQs and be like, "Hey guys, I found this K. Rool render and haven't found it anywhere else, maybe it's legit?" and see how many people believe it, at least until they pull open this thread and see the render there and see me typing this experiment.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
You could always go to GameFAQs and be like, "Hey guys, I found this K. Rool render and haven't found it anywhere else, maybe it's legit?" and see how many people believe it, at least until they pull open this thread and see the render there and see me typing this experiment.
"I have a leak for Super Smash Bros. Wii U, this render was up on the site for just a split second but my reflexes were quick enough to save it. K. Rool confirmed!"

Steelia

Smash Champion
I think I might be able to come close.

wl; qlwl opidq ;wcr,iu gs. ,asdfglsdg 8rtgw3i4 ;sdcfhg wlerihg lsucdgamhrbgus dvk z.
Woahh man, can you come closer somewhere else? Shouldn't do that in public.

You guys realize he's never gonna be playable, right?
*has Ridley in sig*
For shame. We villainous lizard supporters should stick together!

Groose

Smash Champion
*has Ridley in sig*
For shame. We villainous lizard supporters should stick together!
Honestly, I feel that we have a tighter bond than any other two character threads. There's just so much overlap that....

Hold it. HOLD IT!

How would you guys feel if both Ridley and K. Rool got in... as a tag-team? The two most wanted Nintendo newcomers Smashing it up and laying waste to all of the heroes together. Honestly, I think that'd be hilarious and absolutely epic.

Top Bottom