• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
That would be woefully unfortunate (as you seem to agree). K Rool inherently brings much more to the table as a Smash fighter than Dixie does, whether paired with Diddy or not.

There are other factors at play, however, beside recency and modern relevance. Popular demand and requests (in the East and West), viability as a Smash fighter, prominence in their series of origin, adding heretofore essential characters to complete the roster (supporting cast, villains, new series and IPs)...

K Rool has nothing going for him when it comes to recency. But he has a lot backing him in terms of overall series relevance, Smash viability, and demand***. If K Rool is to make the cut, he'll have to bank on these latter factors (even though, as you note, all Newcomers thus far have had titles in recent years).
***At least, I'm pretty sure K Rool has a lot of demand. I have no sources, but perhaps others can chime in with the numbers.
Hopefully the latter factors count more than my senses tell me they will.
But yes, his popularity in Japan definitely gives him some hope. I had forgotten about that.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
At least, I'm pretty sure K Rool has a lot of demand. I have no sources, but perhaps others can chime in with the numbers.
He's the single most requested newcomer worldwide, even in Japan. Though he's the second most requested character overall right after Mewtwo.

And not every character that has been added has something recent, as the previous most requested character (above even Mewtwo) as you know, was Mega Man. If Sakurai went through the trouble of acquiring a third party character who's been dead and neglected by Capcom for years now, I'm sure the King is next.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The reveals so far have shown that Sakurai is mostly interested in keeping the Smash roster up to date with modern releases..

These guys say hi!

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

These guys say hi!
:sonic:
And not every character that has been added has something recent, as the previous most requested character (above even Mewtwo) as you know, was Mega Man. If Sakurai went through the trouble of acquiring a third party character who's been dead and neglected by Capcom for years now, I'm sure the King is next.
I feel Mega Man is a perfect example of why K. Rool is more likely than most think, he got in almost solely on fan demand. He's been dead for years, neglected by his own company, and on top of that, was third party. With our King being the new highest request now, he's in the perfect position to take his rightful place.

D

Deleted member

Misread title as "Sonic & Tails".
Got confused as to why they were being discussed in the K. Rool thread. :laugh:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Punch-Out Wii came out only a year after K. Rool's last appearance, so Mac's almost as irrelevant if we go by chronology alone. If anything, I'm more hopeful for K. Rool now that Mac has been revealed, because it shows that Sakurai is willing to cater to fan demand even if the character has no recent games (in the context of gaming, a 2009 game is pretty old at this point) and pay attention to Western popularity (K. Rool is also more popular than Mac in Japan, so yeah).

My concern mainly lays in what I perceive to be Dixie/Cranky being in competition with K. Rool (competition that Mac didn't have), and the fact that the DK series is still seeing steady releases, making marketing and "relevance" a bit more important. I'm also not entirely convinced that Nintendo doesn't want to exterminate the Kremlings from the series.

Still, I'm a lot more hopeful now than I was before.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Right now, I'm going back and forth between hyping myself for K. Rool and acting as if he's already disconfirmed so as to prepare for the worst. That being said, I'm quite happy that it was Little Mac revealed last week, rather than Dixie, Cranky, or a Kong Duo. That wouldn't make for a very fun thread, since it would be largely just talking about how it's not impossible for there to be four DK characters and clinging to hope that that would be the case. But right now, we're cooking up brilliant character models and having a grand old time, which is great.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
These guys say hi!
The reveals so far have shown that Sakurai is mostly interested in keeping the Smash roster up to date with modern releases.
Also, Little Mac has been in a relatively recent release.
So all newcomers being in modern releases except one definitely equates to mostly.

Regardless, so far there definitely seems to be a trend towards characters from Nintendo's new age (WFT, Villager, Rosalina). That doesn't mean the trend will continue, it's just an observation of up till now.

He's the single most requested newcomer worldwide, even in Japan. Though he's the second most requested character overall right after Mewtwo.

You make good points.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Right now, I'm going back and forth between hyping myself for K. Rool and acting as if he's already disconfirmed so as to prepare for the worst. That being said, I'm quite happy that it was Little Mac revealed last week, rather than Dixie, Cranky, or a Kong Duo. That wouldn't make for a very fun thread, since it would be largely just talking about how it's not impossible for there to be four DK characters and clinging to hope that that would be the case. But right now, we're cooking up brilliant character models and having a grand old time, which is great.

I couldn't resist. The Kutthroats are the grand old thread of the Character Discussion Board. We have a yabba-gay-old time over here.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that recency is a big factor against K. Rool. He is one of the most requested characters and is the main antagonist of one of the Nintendo biggest franchises.

After Ridley he is my most wanted newcomer.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I want King K. Rool in this more than anyone else (Ridley is a close second), I think it'd be awesome to finally see a reptile rumble between him and Bowser. His King outfit can obviously be his default one while his alternate ones can be all the ones he's worn throughout the dk franchise such as the pirate, mad scientist, boxer, and pharaoh (the one he wore in mario super sluggers) outfits.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
King K. Rool is crazy popular worldwide, even in Japan where the fanbase is more or less content with the roster (they just want Roy and Mewtwo back). I highly doubt Sakurai knew what was going on during the development of DKC: TF, and that whoever didn't want the Kremlings in that game told him not to put K. Rool in SSB4. Really, I think K. Rool is possibly the most likely newcomer at this point now that Little Mac is confirmed.

We still have yet to see anything DK-related on SSB4, apart from Donkey Kong himself. They might be hiding something from us. Diddy Kong Who knows what's next...

Y'know, even when I'm at my most pessimistic regarding his chances, I always think of him as being more likely than Ridley, whenever I'm feeling hopeful for him. If Ridley doesn't make it, I'll be disappointed, yet unsurprised at the outcome. To not see K. Rool in SSB4's roster would actually make me physically sick.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Honestly not revealing anything on Tropical Freeze day, as I've already said, made me feel alot better about K. Rool's chances. If anything, even though he's been fairly unpredictable, I doubt Sakurai gives ten craps about recency, other than for character designs themselves. (Mac. And I'm so glad about that.)

Sakurai's given alot of attention to Classic DKC, and K. Rool himself, and with so many hurdles out of his way this time, I just can't imagine Sakurai missing the opportunity to fit the King, who's a fan favorite character, against Bowser at long last. (Other than baseball, of course.)

Here's hoping I'm not wrong.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't even count Cranky Kong as competition like some you guys. The only likely DK newcomers are Dixie and King K. Rool, in my opinion, Cranky would be at best an Assist Trophy in SSB4. By the way, someone said K. Rool is the most requested character worldwide, what is the source of this? I know he is popular and very requested, but is he really more requested than Ridley?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This is and has been a great thread... but sadly I've really started to accept that K.Rool has little hope of being playable.

The reveals so far have shown that Sakurai is mostly interested in keeping the Smash roster up to date with modern releases. That surely makes Dixie by far the most likely inclusion (if she wasn't already before we saw this pattern).

And when I'm being honest, I just can't see two new DK characters making it in. Especially when the second one hasn't been in a game for seven years.
Could be, but if we get Diddy revealed soon I have hope for 2 DKC newcomers. Especially if they reveal Dixie quite soon after Diddy.

Smady

Smash Master
K. Rool is very popular worldwide, and a good candidate for what Sakurai is doing in this game. He's not just a big heavyweight who has tonnes of potential, he has a moveset that is easily put together into something cohesive as well. This game is severely lacking in heavyweight newcomers (there is at least one every game) and also lacking in villains. There is so little else left to use in terms of characters at this point, that K. Rool is easily top of the barrel, no pun intended.

He may not be in recent games but I don't think that hurts his chances too much. Look at Little Mac, it's important not only to see that Punch Out!! Wii is fairly old, but that Little Mac's series in general comes about once in a blue moon. I also agree with the sentiment that he is in competition with other reps from the franchise, if only a little, making the fact Dixie wasn't confirmed in the last DIrect a boon. The further we get away from the release of Tropical Freeze without another DK newcomer, the more I think K. Rool is a lock, and the less the relevance argument has any merit.

I'd point out too, that K. Rool has had zero help in getting to his current popularity from Nintendo or the tournament scene. Nintendo has basically entirely ignored the character, Dixie was launched into popularity after being confirmed for Tropical Freeze, which comes off as a bandwagon. Tournament players have pushed for Ridley for as long as speculation has existed and ignored this character for the most part when they make recommendations. For example this video interview. He wasn't even in the Melee opening, putting him below the likes of the super popular Samurai Goroh. The supporters of K. Rool have stuck through thick and thin to make him one of the top contenders, and that loyalty encompasses all the best qualities of the speculative fan base.

Last edited:

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I don't even count Cranky Kong as competition like some you guys. The only likely DK newcomers are Dixie and King K. Rool, in my opinion, Cranky would be at best an Assist Trophy in SSB4. By the way, someone said K. Rool is the most requested character worldwide, what is the source of this? I know he is popular and very requested, but is he really more requested than Ridley?
Ridley has virtually no support in Japan.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Like BlitznBurst said, Ridley has very little popularity in Japan. Meanwhile K. Rool still has a lot of support down there, which by average means that he got the title of most wanted newcomer worldwide once Mega Man was announced.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
When i first joined this thread, i mentioned i didn't care much for K. Rool but recognized he should be in Smash. I've since changed my mind. He deserves to be in Smash and now i can say I genuinely care about the fate of the Crocodile King. After reading the glorious OP and the sig banners (I died laughing at Trouble Kings 3), he has my full support- I even added him on my sig for Most Wanted! Keep it up fellow Kremlings!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Being the most popular character world wide really means a lot when there really aren´t a lot of characters left to be added. At this rate they are revealing newcomers, I think there´s easily enough room for K.Rool. Just hope Diddy gets revealed soon, so we know we can at least expect one newcomer from DKC. If Dixie would get revealed quickly after Diddy, or at the same time (double reveal, trolling the ones suggesting Diddy / Dixie tag teams) that would be even better for K.Rool.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I'd love to see King K. Rool make it into SSB4. He is def more deserving of a roster spot than Dixie, the only reason being that his potential gameplay is way past hers. He would be the 3rd Trouble King. He would be the 4th huge character to be added in Smash in general. SSB it was Donkey Kong, Melee it was Bowser, Brawl it was DDD, then who is the only VERY ROUND, BIG, MONSTER of any significant importance in Nintendo's main category of characters? Me thinks its the lumbering King of the Kremlings, who has indeed gained a MUCH bigger variety of fans in the U.S. and Japan since his Melee trophy ever mentioned anything about his fanbase. King K. Rool deserves this spotlight.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd love to see King K. Rool make it into SSB4. He is def more deserving of a roster spot than Dixie, the only reason being that his potential gameplay is way past hers. He would be the 3rd Trouble King. He would be the 4th huge character to be added in Smash in general. SSB it was Donkey Kong, Melee it was Bowser, Brawl it was DDD, then who is the only VERY ROUND, BIG, MONSTER of any significant importance in Nintendo's main category of characters? Me thinks its the lumbering King of the Kremlings, who has indeed gained a MUCH bigger variety of fans in the U.S. and Japan since his Melee trophy ever mentioned anything about his fanbase. King K. Rool deserves this spotlight.
Great first post! Welcome to the Kuttroaths fellow DKC fan.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Go back where you came from, Anthony Higgs is far more likely than Ridley!

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Now there's an idea. I'm currently listing every member who has shown explicit support for K. Rool as a Kutthroat (rather than every single poster in the thread, like the Funky Kong alliance).

UPDATE: The OP now features a list of Kutthroats, or supporters; if anyone isn't on the list due to not outright stating your support for K. Rool, just mention it in a post or send me a PM.
Wanna join me Kuttthroat brethren. King K is why I am here. His inclusion will make this game a day 1 puchase for me, hell the minute I find out he is revealed I will buy a Wii U!!!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
*Looks at new thread title*

Oasis_S would have been so proud.

Go back where you came from, Anthony Higgs is far more likely than Ridley!
Meh. I guess Anthony Higgs is a better choice than Adam or a random Space Pirate. *Remembers Metroid Database and shudders*

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
In all fairness, K. Rool fans didn't expect K. Rool's reveal. If anything we were in maximum clench mode because of Dixie.

Smady

Smash Master
I really expected the reveal to be most likely Dixie, Cranky or Funky to complement the release of TF. I thought there was a small chance that it would be another newcomer and K. Rool would be saved. That atmosphere made for an amazing reveal, not that I don't like Cranky and Funky, but K. Rool's the king.

Last edited:
Top Bottom