• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I had no clue as to what I should have expected last week. My heart was beating fast, both out of sheer excitement, but also due to just how nervous I was that a different DK Newcomer would be shown, which I perceive as an insta-death for K. Rool's odds. Little Mac not only got me pumped because of the sheer hype he provides, but also because he showed up at the prime moment for either Dixie or Cranky to be revealed. As we float ever farther away from TF's release date in Japan, my confidence in K. Rool returns.

Recency may be a thing, but I think it cancels quite nicely when you're talking about a character that practically the whole world wants. And you can take that to the bank. :cool:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why would recency be an issue for K.Rool, but not for say, Ganondorf?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Funky was one of those characters I really liked prior to his redesign/inclusion in Mario Kart Wii. But I digress.

A pipe dream of mine has always been K. Rool in either Smash or Kart, which in turns boosts his chances for the other.

Because Ocarina of Time 3D, and if you really want to grasp at the straws, Skyward Plotholes.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Obsessed with Cracks and Holes, Obsessed with Scales and Tails...

For some reason, I'm always ending up in threads whose titles reflect my real world interests.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
The only difference between the two is that Ganondorf has been in Smash Bros as a playable character, so we already knows that he's probably a priority for Sakurai to put back in the game. Not to mention Ganondorf is basically the avatar for almost all antagonism in the Zelda franchise, where K. Rool has been sleeping in as of late.

But, I digress. Recency really is less of an issue and more of a straw waiting to be grasped by someone who just doesn't like the idea of King K. Rool being in SSB.

Smady

Smash Master
Funky...? Really?
It's not as bananas as you think.

Funky was one of those characters I really liked prior to his redesign/inclusion in Mario Kart Wii. But I digress.

A pipe dream of mine has always been K. Rool in either Smash or Kart, which in turns boosts his chances for the other.
Oh I totally understand that sentiment. Exactly how I felt about K. Rool being in Tropical Freeze too. I don't just like K. Rool as a prospective newcomer; he's a fantastic villain who should be included in the DKC series over Tiki Tong or TF's Diet K. Rool final boss.

Last edited:

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
you know what i would even love more than king k rool being playable in smash 4?

king k rool returning to the donkey kong franchise. i really still don't get why nintendo is being such an arse about rare's originally created ip's. they were a huge success and there used to be a time the donkey kong franchise was one of my favorites. now i personally think they're a bit bland looking and just boring. i really don't care much for the returns series.

with that said, please sakurai add king k rool to the roster and please nintendo start admitting that rare did a incredible job by creating everything the country series had to offer.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Just a thought, what do you guy's think K. Rool's newcomer video trailer should be like for ssb4? I'm thinking it could play out like Mega Man's trailer with a bunch of familiar characters from the past series duking it out, say Bowser, Donkey Kong, and King Dedede and Kirby watching in the background. As they're duking it out on land in the night time near the shore of Congo Jungle a huge cannonball suddenly drops in the middle of them sending all three competitors flying including kirby due to the high power wind effects from it. It pauses for a few seconds then it shows part of sail with a skeleton kremling logo on it revealing it to eventually be K. Rool's pirate ship, it then shows K. Rool in his King form holding a blunderbust with the title saying "King K. Rool joins the battle" as it plays a hard rock version of his original theme from donkey kong country for snes, he then jumps on land and starts firing at everyone as clips of his character in ssb4 gameplay show him, it then cuts back to the story scene where DK knocks away his blunderbust and power punches him away, but K. Rool is not done yet, he takes off his crown and throws it at dk so hard it knocks him into the water, Dedede then tries to hit him with his hammer but K. Rool catches it and uppercuts him, more gameplay footage is shown of him, final story scene, it shows DK and Dedede down and out but there is one more character who K. Rool did'nt get yet, Bowser sneaks up from behind growling and K. Rool turns around to face him as kirby runs away in the background, they both have a quick stare off before leaping at eachother with their claws and teeth wide open ending with the super smash bros. wii u/3ds title shown.

If anyone else has some other ideas, I'd love to hear them as well.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Watch Tiki Tong being playable instead of K. Rool... The world would surely burn should that happen. Well, at least this board would.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well, Retro might be pressuring Sakurai to use their muhrelevant characters in Smash. They've already succeeded in getting one of them into Mario Kart 8...

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Nintendo… please… stop… you're just embarrassing yourselves.
It's not so bad when you read the comment posted with it: "I am up to date with all the hottest Internet trends."

Supposed to be ironic, you know? Though the fact that they're using image macros (a.k.a "memes", apparently) is already embarrassing in itself.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Well, Retro might be pressuring Sakurai to use their muhrelevant characters in Smash. They've already succeeded in getting one of them into Mario Kart 8...

When the **** did this happen? I'm stupid

Last edited:

Chase

Smash Ace
I have an idea for an intro video:

Little Mac is in a boxing ring when the Microbuffer hops out. The Microbuffer says (in DK64 style speech bubbles) "He's the puny pugilist who packs a punch, Little Mac!" The audience boos Little Mac while he looks confused, the camera then pans up the ceiling, where a single red eye is watching Little Mac. The other eye then opens and reveals it is much bigger than the previous one. The Microbuffer then says "In the Blue Corner..." But is fallen on by a shadowy figure. The figure then lets out a laugh and grins at Little Mac, who whimpers and is crushed by the figure's foot. While Little Mac is passed out on the ground, the figure is revealed to be King K. Rool (King K. Rool Enters the Ring!). The gameplay footage then shows off his blunderbuss and heavy frame. When the trailer concludes, K. Rool is still being cheered on until DK and Diddy burst in. King K. Rool then grins at them and brings out his blunderbuss. Cue Smash logo.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
He's the single most requested newcomer worldwide, even in Japan. Though he's the second most requested character overall right after Mewtwo.
Apparently Mewtwo is a newcomer.

Also if we're going by most requested character among Smash fans right now, it's either Yoshi or Captain Falcon... or Sonic, since some people still don't know Sonic is confirmed yet.

If we're talking purely potential newcomers, it's between the one obsessed with cracks and holes alien and the obsessed with scales and tails animal.
Regardless, so far there definitely seems to be a trend towards characters from Nintendo's new age (WFT, Villager, Rosalina). That doesn't mean the trend will continue, it's just an observation of up till now.
The Villager's first game is about what=??? 15 years old (in Japan). That's not exactly "recent" by any measures, and by the time we get the next Smash game, it will be considered "retro" by many accounts.

Also, Smash is lacking in 2 things with the confirmed newcomers thus far:
1. Heavy characters: The heaviest character confirmed is either Mega Man or Little Mac, and both are tiny as can be.
2. Strong characters: Little Mac probably does the most damage (sans Mega Man's down smash, which in the demo we saw at E3 2013 looked like Peach's Melee down smash [the nightmares that move gives me! o.O], but aside from a special or two I doubt he'll do spectacular damage to any extent.

Also, it helps that Bowser doesn't claw as much, because that's probably something that better suited for a character like K. Rool, Ridley, or any more "wild" and "reckless" character.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, what's with the name change of the thread? I guess that's something of a topic at the moment, but what happened to the Kountdown?

Well, the homage to the Ridley thread is nice. They are rather similar threads after all, supporting two of the most deserving Smash characters that have to overcome some odds to find their rightful place on the roster.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

To feed the obsession with Scales and Tails.
Not gonna lie, I kinda want them as a tag team.

It'd be way more awesome than Diddy/Dixie.
So, what's with the name change of the thread? I guess that's something of a topic at the moment, but what happened to the Kountdown?
Well it was a Kountdown to the Nintendo Direct. Instead of getting the King we got the Champ.

Now it's just a reference to Ridley (or Palutena), like all things these day are in the post-Little Mac is confirmed world. :p

I find it funny the community keeps circling back to the same half dozen or so potential newcomers (Ridley, K. Rool, Chrom, Miis, Palutena, and Pac-Man).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Those Cranky memes are horrible! Why are they doing this..?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Those Cranky memes are horrible! Why are they doing this..?
The same reason the Super Mario Bros. Shower Head exists:

Nintendo is a media prostitute. They sell their parts for a few bucks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Aren't promotions made so that people want to buy your product?
I am going to get Tropical Freeze tomorrow as I pre-ordered it.
But what if I didn't do that? What if I wasn't entirely aware about this game and the content that's in it? What if I wanted to know more about Tropical Freeze and I went to their Twitter page? If I did those things, then I would most likely not buy Tropical Freeze.
Again, I am going to buy it tomorrow, but those memes could potentially hurt some sales. Not a lot, but some. This is another case of Nintendo's poor marketing.

Kickback

Smash Cadet

Actually you're joke isn't that far away from reality mario kart 8 vill have a Donkey Kong returns level with those drum things ( why can't dk have a kremling based level instead) I just hope those 2 x 4 don't apear.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I don't agree that the memes are necessarily a bad marketing move. A stupid one, yes, but not fully ineffective. For every young adult who refuses to buy the game because of the awfulness of these memes, there will be 20 young children who will snicker at them and beg their parents to buy the game for them. The opportunity cost is probably worth it. Granted, I don't think these memes will actually persuade that many people of either buying or not buying. They're just trying to be "hip" and "trendy" so that kids will think "Wow, Nintendo gets us!"

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just hope Diddy appears in Mario Kart 8. With so many characters in, I really wanna see him in there to. Hope others as Dry Bones, King Boo and others return to. R.O.B. would also be wicked.

Top Bottom