• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Personally, I thought the second phase had the harder patterns, plus I felt half the hits I tried to get on it wouldn't register, since it moved a lot? Final phase I just tried to overpower and I got done with it in a few tries.
I don't remember which phase it was, but I absolutely hated that phase of his when those fire balls would be going around in circles chasing after you. That phase made me tear my hair out.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Alright, two questions:

1.) Why do you support Ryu Hayabusa in Smash?

2.) What are your guys' experiences with Ninja Gaiden and/or Dead or Alive?

Me, I support Ryu because I love him as a character. I really like his him as a silent, stoic badass who's basically ninja Batman. I think that he really deserves his place in Smash especially as a Koei Tecmo character who's company does not yet have a playable rep in Smash. They honestly should've had one at this point after the likes of SNK. Anyways, I just think he's really cool and Smash would benefit from his mature, hardcore presence.

Now, I've, at least once, experienced almost every official Ninja Gaiden game to date (even Yaiba...). The only thing I haven't checked out is... Ninja Gaiden Clans on mobile phones... which was only released in Japan... I did this all last year and I must say, it was a riveting experience to waste my time for something that most people wouldn't go out of their way to do but most of the games are available to play, albeit not as authentically but I digress. There are nice experiences to be had but I know most people have only played any of the classic trilogy and/or modern trilogy and I'd say you really aren't missing much since alot of the miscellaneous Ninja Gaiden games were Sega cash grabs and not actually done by Tecmo themselves (let alone Team Ninja since they didn't exist yet). I do heartily recommend at least checking out Ninja Gaiden on the Sega Master System as an easier but still excellent Ninja Gaiden game, just don't abuse the homing fireballs and infinite ninpo exploit.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
My reason I support Hayabusa is because he's one of the last big NES All Stars missing from the roster.

2.) What are your guys' experiences with Ninja Gaiden?
The only Ninja Gaiden game I've ever played is the original on my NES Mini and it was hard as *****. It was a decent game to me, but it's freaking hard though as I had to use save states a number of times especially during the final boss.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Alright, two questions:

I'll admit that my only personal gameplay experience with Ninja Gaiden was the first modern game on Xbox, and I only really got into that because of Dead or Alive 3, which is still to this day, my all-time favorite 3D fighting game. I played DOA3 for the first time when I was 12, and I fell in love with how fun the fighting was and how hot the girls were in that game. I feel like DOA3 was the last time the series took itself seriously, and despite Kasumi being my favorite DOA character, Hayabusa was fun to play as too. It wasn't long after that that I found out about the Ninja Gaiden series from the NES days, as well as the remake on Xbox. I was never able to beat the remake, since insanely difficult games weren't my forte, and I never got to try out the NES trilogy. Everything since I had to do extended research on, so I could at least learn about both the Classic and Modern game trilogies.

As for why I support Ryu. He's an early Nintendo icon, he had a fresh update in the modern Ninja Gaiden Trilogy and DOA games, his moveset potential is incredible thanks especially to the reboots, and he's the only 3rd party character who I feel like Smash is really missing (Plus, Kasumi seems rather unlikely). It's funny, ever since Ultimate came out and the DLC has been getting released, I've found myself going back and forth between certain characters for who I want most. I started with Banjo and Hayabusa, then Banjo came out and I started requesting other characters alongside Hayabusa, such as KOS-MOS, Crash, Shantae, Rex & Pyra and Byleth (who we ended up getting eventually 😃), but I've always wound up coming back to Ryu as my most-requested character. He's just... the only one who I feel like Smash Ultimate NEEDS now to truly be perfect.

Hopefully this answer suffices

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Alright, two questions:

Me, I support Ryu because I love him as a character. I really like his him as a silent, stoic badass who's basically ninja Batman. I think that he really deserves his place in Smash especially as a Koei Tecmo character who's company does not yet have a playable rep in Smash. They honestly should've had one at this point after the likes of SNK. Anyways, I just think he's really cool and Smash would benefit from his mature, hardcore presence.

Now, I've, at least once, experienced almost every official Ninja Gaiden game to date (even Yaiba...). The only thing I haven't checked out is... Ninja Gaiden Clans on mobile phones... which was only released in Japan... I did this all last year and I must say, it was a riveting experience to waste my time for something that most people wouldn't go out of their way to do but most of the games are available to play, albeit not as authentically but I digress. There are nice experiences to be had but I know most people have only played any of the classic trilogy and/or modern trilogy and I'd say you really aren't missing much since alot of the miscellaneous Ninja Gaiden games were Sega cash grabs and not actually done by Tecmo themselves (let alone Team Ninja since they didn't exist yet). I do heartily recommend at least checking out Ninja Gaiden on the Sega Master System as an easier but still excellent Ninja Gaiden game, just don't abuse the homing fireballs and infinite ninpo exploit.
I support Ryu Hayabusa because's a major legacy character that should be respected and that I try to support others most wanted since my most wanted was deconfirmed. As for experiences with Ninja Gaiden, I can't say much, but I do recall playing a demo of one of the Dead or Alive games on the Dreamcast

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
1.) Why do I support Ryu Hayabusa?
Ryu Hayabusa is the legendary Ninja from the Ninja Gaiden series of games. He has made important contributions to gaming history such as Cutscenes and Hardcore Difficultly. He is also as many of you already know, a very important Nintendo icon back in 1988 when the first Ninja Gaiden was released by Tecmo and spanned two sequels. He is a gaming icon and the Super Smash Bros. Series is about bringing beloved Gaming icons together for the Ultimate Clash and Ryu Hayabusa definitely fits this category. Also after SNK entered the Smash arena I have had more and more confidence that he will show up (just cuz I always see SNK and Koei Tecmo together all the time, don’t pay too much attention to this point 😂) Also as Smash is a crossover I want to see Ryu Hayabusa fight alongside these beloved characters, especially Mario and Banjo-Kazooie!
2.) What are My Experiences with Ninja Gaiden/DEAD OR ALIVE?
I have played every Ninja Gaiden game to date except Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z, My personal favorite is Ninja Gaiden II SIGMA as it’s really fun. As for DEAD OR ALIVE I have only played DEAD OR ALIVE 6 and it was a fun game and kinda reminded me of TEKKEN 7. So out of all of them Ninja Gaiden II SIGMA will always be my favorite and my recommendation to anyone who wants to see what the series is about

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
This doesn’t confirm nor deny Ryu Hayabusa’s inclusion in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and honestly I had a heart attack the first time I saw it cuz I thought he was out but thank god that’s not the case as of right now

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Uh oh, I smell gas, and not the funny kind.

Simple. In a kickass crossover game that’s primarily about Nintendo related icons, I think Ryu is 100% a must have, specially when it comes to 3rd party Retro stars from the NES days. The games are very memorable, the character has a unique design and a lot of moveset potential, plus imo he’s long overdue for the roster, along with Bomberman and Bill Rizer.

Never played Dead or Alive, and only have experience with the Arcade/NES games. All I can say is despite their excessive difficulty, they are really memorable and quite satisfying to beat, plus the soundtracks are gold. The arcade version was more of a beat em up and feels more like a comedy adaptation while the NES version is an action platformer that has a plot with actual cutscenes.
I’ve only seen some yt videos of the 3D games. They seem neat but not really my personal cup tea.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Uh oh, I smell gas, and not the funny kind.

Simple. In a kickass crossover game that’s primarily about Nintendo related icons, I think Ryu is 100% a must have, specially when it comes to 3rd party Retro stars from the NES days. The games are very memorable, the character has a unique design and a lot of moveset potential, plus imo he’s long overdue for the roster, along with Bomberman and Bill Rizer.

Never played Dead or Alive, and only have experience with the Arcade/NES games. All I can say is despite their excessive difficulty, they are really memorable and quite satisfying to beat, plus the soundtracks are gold. The arcade version was more of a beat em up and feels more like a comedy adaptation while the NES version is an action platformer that has a plot with actual cutscenes.
I’ve only seen some yt videos of the 3D games. They seem neat but not really my personal cup tea.
You do realize Itagaki hasn't been with Team Ninja or Koei Tecmo for years, right? He's got no say in whether Hayabusa will join the fight or not

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I FINALLY BEAT NG3RE!!! AND I NEVER HAD TO LOWER THE DIFFICULTY LIKE THAT STUPID GAME KEPT ASKING ME TO!!! HAHA! Holy crap that was a bull**** final boss. Sweet ending though. I'm such a sap for stuff with kids since becoming a dad. I don't think I'm ever touching this game again y'all... lol

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I FINALLY BEAT NG3RE!!! AND I NEVER HAD TO LOWER THE DIFFICULTY LIKE THAT STUPID GAME KEPT ASKING ME TO!!! HAHA! Holy crap that was a bull**** final boss. Sweet ending though. I'm such a sap for stuff with kids since becoming a dad. I don't think I'm ever touching this game again y'all... lol
Congratulations! You are a true Ninja now

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
I'm grasping at straws but on the first Fighter's Pass we had: Sega/Atlus, Square Enix, Microsoft, SNK & Intelligent Systems/Koei Tecmo. And so far into Fighter's Pass 2 we have: Nintendo, Microsoft & Square Enix. Maybe for FP2 Nintendo chose the factual rep of Koei Tecmo himself, Hayabusa.
Of course, their relationship and Hayabusa's legacy and origins speak for themselves rather than my half baked theory. I don't think we'll see another SNK rep but I wonder if we'll see another Sega rep and another brand new company either not represented at all or not having a playable fighter yet.(Like Arc Systems or Ubisoft)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I finished the original Ninja Gaiden on my SNES Mini awhile back, and that final boss in his 3 phase fight was tough as ***** because of his ridiculous pattern. I remember I had to use several save states before I beated that *******.
I tried reading for patterns, but it was just random to me, and pretty hard to time those jumps without getting punished. It's too pixel perfect for me, so I went about with a different strategy:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I wonder if a Ninja Gaiden Collection is coming to the Switch. Has there been any rumors about that?
No, just the PS4 listing. Still waiting for a Partner Showcase that confirms it.
Actually it’s been leaked by a few retailers for Switch.
It’s just the most recent one with the terrible box art that was only listed PS4 so it looks pretty good that Switch and PS4 are on the radar for the Trilogy but I’d be shocked if it didn’t also come to Xbox and PC

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
The creator of the reboot, rather. Itagaki wasn't involved with the NES titles.
Add the fact he left the company right before Other M was made for very personal problem.

and unfortunately, this very hesitant community see it as a write off. 🤦
Where do I start from here...? Oh right, remember when people thought an SNK rep was out because they gave their wishes for a Samurai Shodown character prior Terry's reveal?

or that time people immediately wrote Steve because some major PR manager, who in no knowledge of internal negotiations, gave her personal opinion?

Less we forget the fact Koei Tecmo officials have been "very dodgy" on the Smash topic according to Imran Khan.
But oh no, Suda51 couldn't get what he hoped for, therefore it comparable. Good gracious.

Just to assure, Hayabusa still isn't entirely safe from the filters that is a recent Spirit Event or Mii costume, but citing this as proof of his disqualification just unveils the mere speculator's lack of awareness or wishful thinking for people against the idea. 🙄

Attachments

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Add the fact he left the company right before Other M was made for very personal problem.

Where do i start from here...? Oh right, remember when people thought an SNK rep was out because that gave their wishes for a SamSho character prior Terry's reveal?

or that time people immediately wrote Steve because some PR manager, who in no knowledge of internal negotiations, gave her personal opinion?

Less we forget the fact Koei Tecmo officials have been "very dodgy" on the Smash topic according to Imran Khan.
But oh no, Suda51 couldn't get what he hoped for, therefore it comparable. Good gracious.

Just to assure, Hayabusa still isn't entirely safe from the filters that is a recent Spirit Event or Mii costume, but citing this as proof of his disqualification just unveils the mere speculator's lack of awareness or wishful thinking for people against the idea. 🙄
There's a reason that I'm sick and tired of the constant crying for wolf that happens in this speculation cycle. It's like the benefit of the doubt doesn't even exist here.

At this point, I'd like to see Slayer confirmed just so that the words of an official aren't weighed on so much by people.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

Where do i start from here...? Oh right, remember when people thought an SNK rep was out because that gave their wishes for a SamSho character prior Terry's reveal?

or that time people immediately wrote Steve because some PR manager, who in no knowledge of internal negotiations, gave her personal opinion?

Plus, there were 2 Square Enix spirit events last year, so don't write off a character's chances if there's a spirit event or two tied to the company that owns the character.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Obviously, I would not like to see Ninja Gaiden get a spirit event, but it does make me wonder. Are there any spirit events that people would like to see for franchises that are UNLIKELY to receive playable representation? If I had to choose, I'd choose the following:

Atelier Ryza
Trails of Cold Steel
Nier Automata

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman

When did Imhran say Koei Tecmo officials have been very dodgy? I’ve seen them be dodgy but when did he say it?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Obviously, I would not like to see Ninja Gaiden get a spirit event, but it does make me wonder. Are there any spirit events that people would like to see for franchises that are UNLIKELY to receive playable representation? If I had to choose, I'd choose the following:

Atelier Ryza
Trails of Cold Steel
Nier Automata
I'm still waiting for Balan Wonderworld to get one, myself.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Plus, there were 2 Square Enix spirit events last year, so don't write off a character's chances if there's a spirit event or two tied to the company that owns the character.
Speaking of which, I forgot but did the Cuphead Spirit Event come before or after Banjo & Kazooie?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It was after. The event occurred after the Mii Costume release
Really? Because I thought the Mii costume wasn't added until later and which they patch the Cuphead Mii costume into the Cuphead Spirit battle after you purchased it from the Eshop. But you're probably right.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Incidentally I've been playing Cyber Shadow and its excellent. So far its been a spiritual successor to Ninja Gaiden in the best possible sense of emulating its gameplay while being fair with difficulty. Not to say that it isn't tricky in parts or that you don't have to pay attention to defeat bosses, but nothing's really felt unfair, especially given its use of checkpoints an ability to get refills of health or items via in game purchases.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So this might be a huge stretch but does anyone think that the ninja present in Wreck it Ralph’s bad anon meeting scene was supposed to be one of the ninja enemies from the Ninja Gaiden arcade game?
View attachment 300758View attachment 300757
I seem to notice that the ninja in Wreck It Ralph has similar metal knee pads as the ninja enemy from Ninja Gaiden Arcade. So your theory might have some weight to it.

Top Bottom