• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
New leak for Sigma Trilogy.

I agree with that first response. That box art is a bit of an oof. Hopefully it’s a bit better looking than that. If not, oh well the games will still be super fun but it is a little messy looking.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
For what it is, the cover does do its job of conveying that it's a compilation, although the US release might use something different.

So now that the Trilogy is imminent when do you guys think it will be announced? And how do you think this will affect his chances in Smash?
Going by the rumors, we should hear of the compilation's announcement sometime around the next month before launching.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
People in the comments of that Reddit post are actually calling either the listing itself fake or the box art as just a mock up.

Most notably Ninja Gaiden 1 is actually Sigma Plus which is the Vita version of the game. It seems unlikely they would go for the version the was ported from PS3 to Vita and then Port it BACK up to PS4. NG2 is just Sigma 2 instead of Sigma 2 Plus which seems odd when the other game is the Plus version and overall Sigma 2 Plus is actually considered better on certain aspects than Sigma 2 while Sigma Plus was actually worse in nearly every aspect compared to Sigma. Lastly, Razor’s Edge uses the wrong art. It’s actually using the art from Vanilla (Bad) NG3 instead of RE.

The whole thing is a big ass mess so I’m inclined to believe that someone at... that company that listed it threw together some sort of placeholder artwork by taking the pictures they could randomly find and called it a day. I don’t think the listings fake but I don’t think that boxarts legit.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
People in the comments of that Reddit post are actually calling either the listing itself fake or the box art as just a mock up.

Most notably Ninja Gaiden 1 is actually Sigma Plus which is the Vita version of the game. It seems unlikely they would go for the version the was ported from PS3 to Vita and then Port it BACK up to PS4. NG2 is just Sigma 2 instead of Sigma 2 Plus which seems odd when the other game is the Plus version and overall Sigma 2 Plus is actually considered better on certain aspects than Sigma 2 while Sigma Plus was actually worse in nearly every aspect compared to Sigma. Lastly, Razor’s Edge uses the wrong art. It’s actually using the art from Vanilla (Bad) NG3 instead of RE.

The whole thing is a big ass mess so I’m inclined to believe that someone at... that company that listed it threw together some sort of placeholder artwork by taking the pictures they could randomly find and called it a day. I don’t think the listings fake but I don’t think that boxarts legit.
I'm honestly still skeptical on the whole thing but yeah I do hope that at least the official box art is better than that and actually sense making lol.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm honestly still skeptical on the whole thing but yeah I do hope that at least the official box art is better than that and actually sense making lol.
There have been a few too many leaks of this for me to be TOO skeptical of the Trilogy. But it’s odd that we haven’t heard of it yet, officially and it’s supposed to be released in March allegedly. Makes me think the Street Date of those listings may have been wrong.
Add me to the list of supporters. Smash can always use another ninja......a true ninja. :evil:

And there is a typo in the second line of the OP ;)
The OP is a ahem work in progress. :lol:

Anyways, you are added. Anyone else who wants to be on the supporter list in the OP just tag or quote me and I’ll put you in there. I know there’s way more supporters than what’s listed right now lol.

MattX20

Smash Hero
There have been a few too many leaks of this for me to be TOO skeptical of the Trilogy. But it’s odd that we haven’t heard of it yet, officially and it’s supposed to be released in March allegedly. Makes me think the Street Date of those listings may have been wrong.

Anyways, you are added. Anyone else who wants to be on the supporter list in the OP just tag or quote me and I’ll put you in there. I know there’s way more supporters than what’s listed right now lol.
I would like to be added to the supporter list too

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I'll add myself to the supporter list - I'll honestly be confused if he doesn't make it in.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

I'm skeptical because I have been burnt enough with so many fake metroid trilogy retailer "leaks" lol, it's just a self defense mechanism at this point haha. I just can't trust retailers overall anymore. Here is hoping something cool happens tho.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, there has to be something coming that supposedly shows that Hayabusa is important to the company, right? As it is right now, it's impossible to tell what they're hyping is ****ing supposed to be.

https://screenrant.com/koei-tecmo-2021-reveals-anticipation/
https://www.thegamer.com/team-ninja-interview-fumihiko-yasuda-nioh/
As I said earlier, it's unlikely to be DOA7 since DOA6 hasn't been out for 2 years, and it takes longer than that to build a new fighting game from the ground up. Even the Warriors games take a good amount of time to make, with Age of Clam Chowder and the Persona 5 one already on the way. If Ninja Gaiden 4 isn't in the works, then one of the very few options left is Smash by process of elimination.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As I said earlier, it's unlikely to be DOA7 since DOA6 hasn't been out for 2 years, and it takes longer than that to build a new fighting game from the ground up. Even the Warriors games take a good amount of time to make, with Age of Clam Chowder and the Persona 5 one already on the way. If Ninja Gaiden 4 isn't in the works, then one of the very few options left is Smash by process of elimination.
Yeah and even then the chances of the latter one happening are probably around 50% at best, assuming it ultimately isn't a case of crying for wolf that started all the way back with the 5chan "leak" for Fighters Pass 1.

In the meantime, unless something Ryu/NG pops up in a Partner Showcase/State of Play, I don't think anything particularly interesting will happen until March at the very latest.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I personally don’t think they would hype be for the Trilogy, since they stated how important Ryu Hayabusa is too them, it feels like it would be for something big (like Smash) I also posted an article here awhile ago that during the Super Smash Bros. For 3DS/Wii U days, Yosuke Hayashi was interviewed after the production of Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge was completed he was asked if he would like to see Ryu Hayabusa in Super Smash Bros. to which he responded that they had not made/negotiated a deal with Nintendo on his inclusion but given the chance him and his team would 100% say Yes to the idea and there was another one where he was asked this question again while being interviewed for DEAD OR ALIVE (around 2016 I think) where he said again they haven’t been approached and that he would bring it up to Mr. Sakurai if they ever meet and now that they’ve obviously meet due to Byleth being in Smash it makes you think that these talks that finally seemed to have started way back in 2018 may have finally gone somewhere (hopefully) and maybe it’s time for our favorite video game Ninja to join the battle!

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I personally don’t think they would hype be for the Trilogy, since they stated how important Ryu Hayabusa is too them, it feels like it would be for something big (like Smash) I also posted an article here awhile ago that during the Super Smash Bros. For 3DS/Wii U days, Yosuke Hayashi was interviewed after the production of Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge was completed he was asked if he would like to see Ryu Hayabusa in Super Smash Bros. to which he responded that they had not made/negotiated a deal with Nintendo on his inclusion but given the chance him and his team would 100% say Yes to the idea and there was another one where he was asked this question again while being interviewed for DEAD OR ALIVE (around 2016 I think) where he said again they haven’t been approached and that he would bring it up to Mr. Sakurai if they ever meet and now that they’ve obviously meet due to Byleth being in Smash it makes you think that these talks that finally seemed to have started way back in 2018 may have finally gone somewhere (hopefully) and maybe it’s time for our favorite video game Ninja to join the battle!
Got a link to that interview?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hold up, I came across the original post referring to it:

I just want to point this out that in an interview with Koch Media (a Spanish gaming news outlet) Yosuke Hayashi was asked if he would like to see Ryu Hayavusa appear in the Super Smash Bros. series to which he said he would absolutely be down for that, but at the time (2013) there was no negotiations between Nintendo and Koei Tecmo for that (again this is Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS/WiiU time.) With recent negotiations having been supposedly leaked between Nintendo and Koei Tecmo and Yosuke Hayashi being very prominent in helping Nintendo with Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, you have to think did it go somewhere this time? I have also made this argument before but I will say it again, we are now at a point where a lot of the main picks have been done, like Simon Belmont, Banjo & Kazooie, Joker, Terry Bogard, Hero, and now Steve from MINECRAFT we’re all choices that were not represented in Smash and now that there all here it kinda begs the question “who should we pick now?” “Well you got an NES legend from the late 1980’s/early 1990’s who probably one of the most famous video game characters in history as well as establishing some principles that are used in games to this day.” So if Yosuke Hayashi has given his blessing and the only thing that was needed was negotiations between Nintendo and Koei Tecmo and now that supposed negotiations have quote on quote happened according to insiders, I’m really hoping we will see gaming’s most beloved Ninja Ryu Hayabusa join the fight!
Interview Translation:View attachment 292001
View attachment 292000

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Pretty damn sure that interview was before vanilla NG3 was released and not after Razor's Edge. Also, it was before PSASBR came out and had a leak of Hayabusa supposedly guest starring in the game.

Here it is: https://akihabarablues.com/yosuke-hayashi-se-trae-su-ninja-gaiden-3-a-madrid/ Dated Feb. 17, 2012. Vanilla NG3 came out the next month, mind you.

Anyways, the pessimist in me thinks that the news that would make us go "Finally!" is indeed the Ninja Gaiden Sigma Trilogy. That would certainly make fans think that it's finally coming especially to Switch with Nintendo where the series first garnered its roots (excuse me, half of it because the other half was on arcade :p). Especially after Fumihiko Yasuda, Nioh's director, shot down confirmation for a Ninja Gaiden 4 and proceeded to step on it by saying that it would have to be on Xbox (https://www.gematsu.com/2021/01/nio...s-in-the-future-ninja-gaiden-news-coming-soon), I don't see as many great things happening for the series this year. Of course, Hayabusa's reveal in Smash would sweeten things up but I think Ninja Gaiden still needs whatever it can get. For chrissakes, classic NG2 and 3 aren't even on NES Switch Online, why...? Watch there be a Warriors All-Stars 2 be announced featuring Atelier Ryza, Hide from Nioh 2, and especially Ryu Hayabusa...

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ

Would you kindly add me to the list as well? :grin:

EDIT: All of this news is very promising my friends! Dare I feel hopeful?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I have mentioned this before, but I remember Nintendo published NG3: Razor’s Edge when it was originally released as a Wii U exclusive. It really makes you wonder how he wasn’t even a Mii Costume back in Smash 4.
Hmm... That is strange Hayabusa or Tecmo in general didn't get anything in Smash 4 now that you bring that up. If the negotiations for Steve in Ultimate was planned out 5 years in advance, than who's to say the same thing couldn't be said for other characters as well. A lot of these characters are planned and negotiated for way ahead of time as negotiating rights and licensing fees isn't something that happens overnight or not even a year sometimes.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
So looks like not only Hayabusa is highly likely to be in, but also the 6 fighters leak that got Min Min, Steve, and Sephiroth right might be legit.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So looks like not only Hayabusa is highly likely to be in, but also the 6 fighters leak that got Min Min, Steve, and Sephiroth right might be legit.
Wasn't that just fan-art? Or did I miss a different alleged leak?

I thought we were already Hayabusa supporters? Did I miss something?
The first post was updated - I guess they wanted to make sure that the supporter list was up-to-date. (or that the users were active)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I really do believe that Hayabusa will be in the game, but I wouldn't put too much stock in that rumor. Doomguy is one of the few characters who has been pretty definitively shut down by Bethesda / ID ("there were talks but nothing came out of it"), and while Rayman can happen I am highly suspect of not one but two western characters in this hypothetical batch, neither of which have much of a following in Japan at all - unlike Banjo or Steve who at least did have longtime dedicated fans there and was literally from the biggest game in the world, respectively.

Hayabusa is in a great spot where he doesn't really need leaks or rumors to make him any likelier than he already is through Nintendo's close relationship with Koei Tecmo. And he's in pretty much every fake leak there is, anyway.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Nope, it's the leak in 4chan back in May last year that so far, got half of them right. The other 3 are
Ryu Hayabusa, Doomslayer, and Rayman.
Ah, okay. That line-up would be great, but the way I see it, a stopped clock is right twice a day - I'm not going to believe an anonymous 4chan text post unless there's video evidence, and even then, after the Smashified Rayman video, I'm still skeptical.

MattX20

Smash Hero
My position on 4chan/5chan leaks is skepticism until proven right like that Piranha Plant leak. Hayabusa was still in good shape even without them

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nope, it's the leak in 4chan back in May last year that so far, got half of them right. The other 3 are
Ryu Hayabusa, Doomslayer, and Rayman.
My position on 4chan/5chan leaks is skepticism until proven right like that Piranha Plant leak. Hayabusa was still in good shape even without them
On a general basis, I do not trust text leaks from 4chan, 5chan, 8chan, whateverChan, seeing how easy they are to fake. Besides, you get a lucky guess every once in a while.

But at least the evidence that was found not involving it can make a case for Hayabusa, assuming something didn't fall through.

That’s not legit it seems like a prediction list, unless there is something else going on that I’m unaware of
No, there's nothing else, a fair few people assume it's an actual leak because it "looks" convincing, so don't overthink it. 🙄

Meanwhile, Doom Slayer fans still think he's doomed, and us local Rayman fans acknowledge it's likely to be a load of buffalo bagels, but only lightly humor it because there's not much that's interesting to do right now.

Right now, I'm halfway-expecting there for the next character to be someone that no one has predicted in their "leaks". Lord knows who it is.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Did something happen to line up with that leak recently? If so, hell yeah that’s like the best lineup I could ask for.

But that also makes me think it isn’t real lol
I thought we were already Hayabusa supporters? Did I miss something?
I’ll put you on the list as well

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
...Okay, I'll bite, what is it specifically that made you think this? Up until now it didn't seem like anything remarkable was leaning towards making it real.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Decided to play the first Ninja Gaiden recently to get myself attached to Hayabusa (In advance, you know ;)) and while it was excruciatingly painful, I quite enjoyed it.

Highlight for me was when I got to the 5th stage boss. I was stuck there for over an hour cause dodging that attack of his consistently felt impossible. My little brother sat down next to me to hang out and watched me play, trying to be funny every time I died, you know, typical brother behavior. After watching me die to the boss for like the 5th time he just suggested to me "Can't you try tanking the damage and overpowering him?" It worked first try... he laughed at me and I was just really disappointed. Bro hung out with me for another hour after that and pulled out the speedrun of the game just to notify me when the person in the video had passed me, it was kind of funny. I'll get to the rest of the games eventually.

But yeah, I support.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Decided to play the first Ninja Gaiden recently to get myself attached to Hayabusa (In advance, you know ;)) and while it was excruciatingly painful, I quite enjoyed it.

Highlight for me was when I got to the 5th stage boss. I was stuck there for over an hour cause dodging that attack of his consistently felt impossible. My little brother sat down next to me to hang out and watched me play, trying to be funny every time I died, you know, typical brother behavior. After watching me die to the boss for like the 5th time he just suggested to me "Can't you try tanking the damage and overpowering him?" It worked first try... he laughed at me and I was just really disappointed. Bro hung out with me for another hour after that and pulled out the speedrun of the game just to notify me when the person in the video had passed me, it was kind of funny. I'll get to the rest of the games eventually.

But yeah, I support.
I finished the original Ninja Gaiden on my SNES Mini awhile back, and that final boss in his 3 phase fight was tough as ***** because of his ridiculous pattern. I remember I had to use several save states before I beated that *******.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I finished the original Ninja Gaiden on my SNES Mini awhile back, and that final boss in his 3 phase fight was tough as ***** because of his ridiculous pattern. I remember I had to use several save states before I beated that *******.
Personally, I thought the second phase had the harder patterns, plus I felt half the hits I tried to get on it wouldn't register, since it moved a lot? Final phase I just tried to overpower and I got done with it in a few tries.

Top Bottom