• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah maybe but the SNES Version of them is inferior for a multitude of reasons. A Mario Allstars effect would be great tho.
Yeah. It's weird how the developers didn't try that much to really enhance the graphics that much from 8-Bit to 16-Bit since the SNES trilogy just looks like a slightly more polished port graphically with worser music than the original NES versions.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Yeah maybe but the SNES Version of them is inferior for a multitude of reasons. A Mario Allstars effect would be great tho.
Well, the SNES version technically serves as a Ninja Gaiden all star game, except without that title. The only complaint I have about that game is that the graphics look barely different. Usually I don’t care about graphics all that much but with how gorgeous Nintendo redesigned the visual style of the original NES Mario games, I can honestly say that it was a really missed opportunity.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Yes, particularly the music and sound effects really suck. Play the first level of the first game and the first one in the SNES trilogy back to back. You'll really notice the (horrendous) difference.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I have less a problem with the graphics as I do with the gameplay being unoptimized for SNES. It results in Jaggedness, slowdown, and a lot of flickering.

But yeah I would’ve loved a good Super Mario Allstars style remake for them on SNES. Actually I would still love that if someone like Wayforward could take it over

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
With the Age of Calamity spirits, that's even more Koei Tecmo content added to Smash, right? In fact, isn't it the first Warriors content in this game?

In any case, I can at least imagine one of the victory screens being Ryu putting his Dragon Sword back in its scabbard in a dramatic fashion
I'd be surprised if at least one of his victory poses weren't taken from the Dead or Alive series.

Alright, two questions:

1.) Why do you support Ryu Hayabusa in Smash?

2.) What are your guys' experiences with Ninja Gaiden and/or Dead or Alive?

Me, I support Ryu because I love him as a character. I really like his him as a silent, stoic badass who's basically ninja Batman. I think that he really deserves his place in Smash especially as a Koei Tecmo character who's company does not yet have a playable rep in Smash. They honestly should've had one at this point after the likes of SNK. Anyways, I just think he's really cool and Smash would benefit from his mature, hardcore presence.

Now, I've, at least once, experienced almost every official Ninja Gaiden game to date (even Yaiba...). The only thing I haven't checked out is... Ninja Gaiden Clans on mobile phones... which was only released in Japan... I did this all last year and I must say, it was a riveting experience to waste my time for something that most people wouldn't go out of their way to do but most of the games are available to play, albeit not as authentically but I digress. There are nice experiences to be had but I know most people have only played any of the classic trilogy and/or modern trilogy and I'd say you really aren't missing much since alot of the miscellaneous Ninja Gaiden games were Sega cash grabs and not actually done by Tecmo themselves (let alone Team Ninja since they didn't exist yet). I do heartily recommend at least checking out Ninja Gaiden on the Sega Master System as an easier but still excellent Ninja Gaiden game, just don't abuse the homing fireballs and infinite ninpo exploit.
1). He's one of my favorite video game ninjas and one that I enjoyed during the NES era. He's also one of the few NES icons that's not in Smash and he would no doubt be a great character for it.

2.) I played the NES trilogy and they were just another group of games I enjoyed on the NES at that time. I also the SNES remakes.

Believe it or not, I never played any of the games in the reboot series but if they're being re-released, I'm going to make sure I do that this time.

Meanwhile, I've played most of the Dead or Alive games, from DOA2 to DOA5. It's one of my favorite fighting game series. Hayabusa is one of my mains, though I was never that good at executing the Izuna Drop.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
With the Age of Calamity spirits, that's even more Koei Tecmo content added to Smash, right? In fact, isn't it the first Warriors content in this game?

I'd be surprised if at least one of his victory poses weren't taken from the Dead or Alive series.
That is correct, yes.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
For his victory poses I'd like to see:

1.) Ryu turns into a spiritual bird and flies with the wind like the ending of the first modern Ninja Gaiden.

2.) Ryu cuts bamboo trees like in Dead or Alive 2.

3.) Any victory pose from Dead or Alive.

I couldn't think of much for the last one.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well it’s rumored to, sure but I’m not so confident in that considering we haven’t heard anything of it yet. I could be wrong of course, and I do think it’s coming, but March seems like it’s a bit too early.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Well it’s rumored to, sure but I’m not so confident in that considering we haven’t heard anything of it yet. I could be wrong of course, and I do think it’s coming, but March seems like it’s a bit too early.
True but this situation, to me at least, seems like how the Apex Legends port was rumored for so long and then finally announced by Nintendo on Twitter, in the case of the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, they may announce it in a future Nintendo Direct Mini: Partners Showcase, regardless of how long we haven’t heard about it yet, drops like these seem to be what Nintendo does nowadays, like how we had a
Super Mario 35th Direct in September and then Super Mario 3D All-Stars dropped like 17 to 18 days later and also that game was also HEAVILY rumored throughout the year of 2020 and then finally unveiled in late 2020, so my point is is if the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy is revealed in March and then released in March, it shouldn’t be that surprising

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I have less a problem with the graphics as I do with the gameplay being unoptimized for SNES. It results in Jaggedness, slowdown, and a lot of flickering.

But yeah I would’ve loved a good Super Mario Allstars style remake for them on SNES. Actually I would still love that if someone like Wayforward could take it over
It and the PC Engine port of the original I definitely want to check out at some point. A lot of issues were fixed for the Wily Wars remakes but some were created so I'm curious to see how they stack up here.

Yes, particularly the music and sound effects really suck. Play the first level of the first game and the first one in the SNES trilogy back to back. You'll really notice the (horrendous) difference.
Admittedly the SNES version of songs I've grown a soft spot for and will sometimes put them on in the background. I think the SNES's take on the NG3 Act 2-1 theme is my favorite.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
It’s been pretty quite in here lately but there is something that has been on my mind lately in terms of our boy joining Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and that has to do with both Sephiroth and Crash. Sephiroth is a Katana user, the same as Ryu Hayabusa so would Nintendo really do two Kitana wielders in a row? Obviously Ryu Hayabusa is different from Sephiroth he’s a ninja and Sephiroth is a genetic experiment gone wrong but if I really think about it the fact that I feel as though Nintendo wouldn’t reveal two Kitana characters after each other still gets me, however Steve is a sword user and Sephiroth came after him and Erdrick and Byleth were revealed in the same pass so who knows anything can happen. In terms of Crash we have speculated for a while that the next Super Smash Bros. Ultimate fighter would be revealed next month in March or Early April and in March specifically there are a lot of games releasing in March that would coincide well with a Smash reveal such as Tales Of Anniversary and Monster Hunter Rise. However I personally don’t think a CAPCOM rep is happening due to CAPCOM leak and also I feel as though the Lloyd Irving Mii costume is returning as all Mii Costumes have returned (once again I am not dissing Lloyd or a CAPCOM character, I love both and would be happy to see them join, I just personally don’t think it’s happening) also Imran Khan an insider also said he doesn’t feel as though Tales Of or Monster Hunter is getting a rep so that’s why I’m counting those two out (but once again I could be wrong). So that leaves Ryu Hayabusa who has the Ninja Gaiden Sigma Trilogy releasing in March and that would perfectly coincide with a reveal for him joining Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a playable fighter. However, since Crash Bandicoot 4 is releasing in March and with Nintendo promoting Crash more in recent times it’s also likely that Crash Bandicoot could be announced next and that’s what’s getting me. Despite that I did also have a thought that Ryu Hayabusa, while although a popular character is nowhere NEAR as popular as Crash Bandicoot as Crash would be the perfect E3 reveal for Smash, we have seen Nintendo take this approach before with Banjo & Kazooie being announced at E3 2019 and I feel as though if there was an E3 2020 then Min Min and Steve would’ve been the reveal there, so for E3 2021 due to current circumstances, I feel as though E3 2021 will only have one reveal and that one reveal would have to be somebody big on the level of Banjo & Kazooie and Steve from MINECRAFT and Crash Bandicoot definitely fits that bill, Ryu Hayabusa would fit an E3 reveal if it was a double E3 reveal with Crash Bandicoot but seeing how Amiibo theory points towards March as the next time we hear Smash news I am inclined to believe 1 reveal in March and 1 reveal at E3 and I don’t think Ryu Hayabusa would be E3 material so personally if Ryu Hayabusa isn’t the next reveal then I’m gonna have to call it quits for Ryu Hayabusa joining the battle as a fighter as I personally don’t see him as an E3 reveal and I definitely don’t see him as Challenger Pack 11, that’s why him being revealed next fits the best when it comes to speculation trends, sorry for making the post so long but those are my thoughts

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
It’s been pretty quite in here lately but there is something that has been on my mind lately in terms of our boy joining Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and that has to do with both Sephiroth and Crash. Sephiroth is a Katana user, the same as Ryu Hayabusa so would Nintendo really do two Kitana wielders in a row? Obviously Ryu Hayabusa is different from Sephiroth he’s a ninja and Sephiroth is a genetic experiment gone wrong but if I really think about it the fact that I feel as though Nintendo wouldn’t reveal two Kitana characters after each other still gets me, however Steve is a sword user and Sephiroth came after him and Erdrick and Byleth were revealed in the same pass so who knows anything can happen. In terms of Crash we have speculated for a while that the next Super Smash Bros. Ultimate fighter would be revealed next month in March or Early April and in March specifically there are a lot of games releasing in March that would coincide well with a Smash reveal such as Tales Of Anniversary and Monster Hunter Rise. However I personally don’t think a CAPCOM rep is happening due to CAPCOM leak and also I feel as though the Lloyd Irving Mii costume is returning as all Mii Costumes have returned (once again I am not dissing Lloyd or a CAPCOM character, I love both and would be happy to see them join, I just personally don’t think it’s happening) also Imran Khan an insider also said he doesn’t feel as though Tales Of or Monster Hunter is getting a rep so that’s why I’m counting those two out (but once again I could be wrong). So that leaves Ryu Hayabusa who has the Ninja Gaiden Sigma Trilogy releasing in March and that would perfectly coincide with a reveal for him joining Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a playable fighter. However, since Crash Bandicoot 4 is releasing in March and with Nintendo promoting Crash more in recent times it’s also likely that Crash Bandicoot could be announced next and that’s what’s getting me. Despite that I did also have a thought that Ryu Hayabusa, while although a popular character is nowhere NEAR as popular as Crash Bandicoot as Crash would be the perfect E3 reveal for Smash, we have seen Nintendo take this approach before with Banjo & Kazooie being announced at E3 2019 and I feel as though if there was an E3 2020 then Min Min and Steve would’ve been the reveal there, so for E3 2021 due to current circumstances, I feel as though E3 2021 will only have one reveal and that one reveal would have to be somebody big on the level of Banjo & Kazooie and Steve from MINECRAFT and Crash Bandicoot definitely fits that bill, Ryu Hayabusa would fit an E3 reveal if it was a double E3 reveal with Crash Bandicoot but seeing how Amiibo theory points towards March as the next time we hear Smash news I am inclined to believe 1 reveal in March and 1 reveal at E3 and I don’t think Ryu Hayabusa would be E3 material so personally if Ryu Hayabusa isn’t the next reveal then I’m gonna have to call it quits for Ryu Hayabusa joining the battle as a fighter as I personally don’t see him as an E3 reveal and I definitely don’t see him as Challenger Pack 11, that’s why him being revealed next fits the best when it comes to speculation trends, sorry for making the post so long but those are my thoughts

Like you said, Hayabusa and Sephiroth would be very different characters, so that's not a problem. Even the swords they use are different.

As for Crash, after the previous games, a Crash 4 Switch port was kind of inevitable but I don't recall a character being revealed for Smash coinciding with their game's release date. But it does have me wondering why Crash 4 for the Switch is officially revealed and the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy still hasn't yet.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Like you said, Hayabusa and Sephiroth would be very different characters, so that's not a problem. Even the swords they use are different.

As for Crash, after the previous games, a Crash 4 Switch port was kind of inevitable but I don't recall a character being revealed for Smash coinciding with their game's release date. But it does have me wondering why Crash 4 for the Switch is officially revealed and the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy still hasn't yet.
That’s a good point, I hadn’t thought of that, why has the Crash Bandicoot 4 port been announced first and the Ninja Gaiden Sigma Trilogy hasn’t yet? At this point it feels intentional that Koei Tecmo is holding back the Trilogy Announcement for something, if we don’t hear about it this month then that’s even more suspicious

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
None of the characters in the DOA series use any kind of weapons, except for some of the bosses.
So if Ryu (Ninja Gaiden) makes it in, is he going to be a swordfighter? Or will be just be a brawler with a sword that doesn't do anything within gameplay? On the bright side, I don't really think being a swordfighter is an issue.

I think it would be cool if Ryu had a stance switch, where he can toggle his sword on and off.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I still want Hayabusa to use his other weapons, especially the scythe and claws. I feel like it would differentiate him a lot, eliminate the “another sword user” complaint, AND make Hayabusa stand out from the other Ninja movesets.

Have his Falcon’s Talons be the fast but not good knock back and damage Ninja like weapon, the Dragon Sword be his balanced weapon, and the Eclipse Scythe be his over the top heavy damage, heavy knock back, super slow version.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
It's largely due to FE's oversaturation that people have this dislike of sword users more than anything
I don't care! THEY don't even make up 1/10th of the roster, and 4 of them play differently than Marth, Roy, Lucina and Chrom! I'm sick of people in these forums continuously coming back to that over and over and over and over and OVER again and blaming a series that I love, and even Nintendo considers a flagship franchise for their brand, for whatever random 3rd Party characters, that probably never had a shot of making it into the game in the first place, not being in Smash yet. Fire Emblem has 8 characters. So what?! Mario, Legend of Zelda and Pokemon have a lot too, some of which are clones as well, and people have no problems requesting even MORE characters from them!

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I don't care! THEY don't even make up 1/10th of the roster, and 4 of them play differently than Marth, Roy, Lucina and Chrom! I'm sick of people in these forums continuously coming back to that over and over and over and over and OVER again and blaming a series that I love, and even Nintendo considers a flagship franchise for their brand, for whatever random 3rd Party characters, that probably never had a shot of making it into the game in the first place, not being in Smash yet. Fire Emblem has 8 characters. So what?! Mario, Legend of Zelda and Pokemon have a lot too, some of which are clones as well, and people have no problems requesting even MORE characters from them!
Chill my dude, I understand the frustration, but chill

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Alright, two questions:

1. I think he just fits right in. He's gaming iconic that got his fame from the NES era much like many of the ultimate roster. Simon, Erdrick, Duck Hunt, Mario, Megaman, ect. He'd fit right in especially if they main use the first 2 games as inspiration for his moveset and had a classic look as an alt.

2. My experience mainly comes from Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2. I still have 2 on the NES and I first discovered the first game on the Wii Shop channel after seeing a ScrewAttack Top list featuring it. ScrewAttack, Old YouTube and Irate Gamer were how I discover a completely unknown world of video games. And at the right time to as Brawl got me into video games to begin with.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
So if Ryu (Ninja Gaiden) makes it in, is he going to be a swordfighter? Or will be just be a brawler with a sword that doesn't do anything within gameplay? On the bright side, I don't really think being a swordfighter is an issue.

I think it would be cool if Ryu had a stance switch, where he can toggle his sword on and off.
He'll definitely use his sword since he'll be based on his Ninja Gaiden version.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I will never get over the Hayabusa armor crossover in Halo 3. Still one of the wackiest ever:

and then the other side where a Halo Spartan showed up in Dead or Alive 4.
The Xbox and Team Ninja friendship was so weird but it gave us some cool ****in stuff

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I like this guys thinking in terms of when he will be announced (if it’s him) because as I’ve said before, I don’t think Ryu Hayabusa will be the E3 reveal as he is not popular enough to be announced there and I DEFINITELY don’t see him as the final challenger as I feel like that spot will go to another Nintendo rep or maybe a character that will be a big suprise.
6760161A-5E41-46D3-9E0A-B20D200A4973.jpeg

On another note, Yay! The Japanese Fighting game roundtable is back! https://twitter.com/bandainamcous/status/1360227161718849536?s=21

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Alright, two questions:

I've played the NES game at a cousin's house when I was really young, young enough to not know how to pronounce Gaiden properly. I then discovered DoA2 on PS2 and started playing that seriously. Somewhere between DoA 2-3 I found out that Hayabusa was the guy from Ninja Gaiden. It was also around this time I finally got to play the NES trilogy. Then the reboot appeared and I was interested. It took a few years to finally get around to playing it but when I did I fell in love with its combat system. To this day NG2 has one of my favorite combat systems in any character action game.

So yeah that's why he's my most wanted character. I'm a fan of the games and cant think of a way they can make him not fun. He comes with a great library of additional content thanks to him basically being the Nexus of the Tecmoverse.

Also he's a f@#$in ninja. What's not to like.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I like this guys thinking in terms of when he will be announced (if it’s him) because as I’ve said before, I don’t think Ryu Hayabusa will be the E3 reveal as he is not popular enough to be announced there and I DEFINITELY don’t see him as the final challenger as I feel like that spot will go to another Nintendo rep or maybe a character that will be a big suprise. View attachment 302819
Why are so many people hung up on this stigma of which characters are E3-levels of calibur or not? Palutena and the Mii Fighters were revealed as Smash 4 newcomers at both the beginning and the end of Nintendo's E3 2014 Direct. Neither of which are anywhere near as well-known within the Smash Speculation scene as Banjo & Kazooie, Mega Man or Ridley. Also don't forget that Hero (a character everyone liked to say "Who?" on) was revealed during the same E3 Direct as Banjo.

Maybe you guys care more about whose more worthy of a reveal at E3 vs anywhere else, than Sakurai or Nintendo do...

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Why are so many people hung up on this stigma of which characters are E3-levels of calibur or not? Palutena and the Mii Fighters were revealed as Smash 4 newcomers at both the beginning and the end of Nintendo's E3 2014 Direct. Neither of which are anywhere near as well-known within the Smash Speculation scene as Banjo & Kazooie, Mega Man or Ridley. Also don't forget that Hero (a character everyone liked to say "Who?" on) was revealed during the same E3 Direct as Banjo.

Maybe you guys care more about whose more worthy of a reveal at E3 vs anywhere else, than Sakurai or Nintendo do...
It's just something people expect from Smash 4 onwards. I wouldn't rule out lesser known characters to be revealed at E3 this year because we may or may not get a dual reveal. It all depends on what Nintendo wants to do this year since it most likely will be Smash Ultimate's final full year of updates.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
It's just something people expect from Smash 4 onwards. I wouldn't rule out lesser known characters to be revealed at E3 this year because we may or may not get a dual reveal. It all depends on what Nintendo wants to do this year since it most likely will be Smash Ultimate's final full year of updates.
I guess. A part of me thinks though that Smash might not be a part of Nintendo's E3 presentation. They could do a Sakurai Presents Challenger pack 10 (or 10 and 11 if they do a double reveal) some time before E3 starts. Smash 4 did that back 2015 when the Lucas, Roy and Ryu Presentation came out 2 days before Nintendo's E3 Direct. That way there wouldn't be any pressure on them from the fans expecting a major reveal during the E3 Direct. Though if they do a double reveal, then it'll likely be the last 2 characters for Ultimate being revealed at once. So I suppose there's pressure either way :/

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

It’s all marketing, man. You always get the biggest names on the biggest stage so that people will pay more attention. It’s just how it is. You think it is a coincidence that E3 has been headlined by at least one big name? Snake, Mega Man, Ryu, Ridley, Banjo, what Steve probably was planned for, and yes for Japanese audiences Hero, are all very very big deals. It even stretches farther with Sephiroth and Joker at TGA. It’s good publicity.

It’s all subjective whether upcoming characters are E3 worthy but you have to think that Hayabusa is much more of a Terry than a Steve or a Banjo. A character that makes sense but not one that’s just going to lie the lid off of the gaming landscape. That’s more reserved for someone like Crash. Being on the middling road isn’t a bad thing, not at all, being the most hyped is subjective even but Hayabusa is much more of a “oh that’s cool he made it!” than a “Holy **** aghrvshizbrheia I CANT BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING!!” and that’s completely understandable and even appropriate for characters to break up those wacky reveals. It’s a good thing.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
It’s all marketing, man. You always get the biggest names on the biggest stage so that people will pay more attention. It’s just how it is. You think it is a coincidence that E3 has been headlined by at least one big name? Snake, Mega Man, Ryu, Ridley, Banjo, what Steve probably was planned for, and yes for Japanese audiences Hero, are all very very big deals. It even stretches farther with Sephiroth and Joker at TGA. It’s good publicity.

It’s all subjective whether upcoming characters are E3 worthy but you have to think that Hayabusa is much more of a Terry than a Steve or a Banjo. A character that makes sense but not one that’s just going to lie the lid off of the gaming landscape. That’s more reserved for someone like Crash. Being on the middling road isn’t a bad thing, not at all, being the most hyped is subjective even but Hayabusa is much more of a “oh that’s cool he made it!” than a “Holy **** aghrvshizbrheia I CANT BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING!!” and that’s completely understandable and even appropriate for characters to break up those wacky reveals. It’s a good thing.
Well, I suppose getting either Ryu or Crash for Challenger 9 would be great, as they're the only 2 characters left that I'd like to see added to Smash Ultimate. Getting both would be the dream though!

MattX20

Smash Hero

It's reasons like this why I'm speculating either Hayabusa or a Bandai Namco character for FP9.

Last edited:
Top Bottom