• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
It's already booked for Saturday. There's no reason you can't have a smashfest on Sunday though.

in other news, I now hold 5 absolute records in pokemon snap, and 20 tied records.
Huh, how does that work? There's records for an ages old game?

Funnily enough, the first time I tried Pokemon Snap was at the Blockbuster near Home Video :o

Kantrip

Kantplay
Congrats on getting accepted into the Debate Hall, Aleate! I've been lurking the PG, some good posts you have there.

Also, if SKidd were to say "a lot", grouping the two words as a phrase, the phrase would be singular as it is only one phrase. Therefore, he could follow by saying "a lot" is x, even if x is regularly a plural.

For example, I could say "oodles of rude noodle poodles" is an example of assonance. Although "an" requires a singular subject, and the phrase "oodles of rude noodle poodles" is plural, I am grouping the phrase together to act as a singular subject.

SKidd

Smash Master
Congrats on getting accepted into the Debate Hall, Aleate! I've been lurking the PG, some good posts you have there.

Also, if SKidd were to say "a lot", grouping the two words as a phrase, the phrase would be singular as it is only one phrase. Therefore, he could follow by saying "a lot" is x, even if x is regularly a plural.

For example, I could say "oodles of rude noodle poodles" is an example of assonance. Although "an" requires a singular subject, and the phrase "oodles of rude noodle poodles" is plural, I am grouping the phrase together to act as a singular subject.
$0.00 hug mm?

Kantrip

Kantplay
What are the conditions to this? What game? There's a lot at stake here, I want to make sure the rules are clear. :awesome:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
You're right, but I was just digging for something to throw at Sheldon<3

[COLLAPSE="Lala"]My thought process was like this:

A lot is two words.

A lot = 2 words

Two words are plural, so a lot must be as well. [/COLLAPSE]

SKidd

Smash Master
Aleate I will bully you for being pink everything. PINKY!!!!

Feint, the rules are as follows:
I ****ING LOVE YOU <333

Kantrip

Kantplay
Haha yeah, I would've gone there too. It is just too much fun to correct corrections.

SKidd: You know the rules, and SO DO I!~

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
And so do I. And in this specific case, I do believe that all of you are wrong.

"A lot is two words". This is basically stating that "a lot" is in some subset of "two words", or in simpler terms, "a lot" is within the parametres of "two words". However, "two words" is not necessarily a subset of "a lot" (and an indirect proof of this: A square is a rectangle (this is guaranteed), but a rectangle is not necessarily a square (all sides must be the same for this equality to hold).

The way it was written, you are not stating that the phrase "a lot" consists of two words, you are simply stating that the meaning of the phrase "a lot" is in some subset of "two words".

So technically, the statement you made is grammatically correct, but it is not grammatically correct for the intended message you were trying to state.

Also, Feint has a LONG LONG way to go to be the next me.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Ah, but saying "A lot is two words" is in no way trying to prove that "Two words is a lot". Stating that a square is a rectangle but the opposite is not true was not relevant to what we are talking about here. What SKidd said, in the simplest form (although he failed to place quotation marks around "a lot"), is that the phrase "a lot" is two words. There is no simpler way to say it. It would be like me stating that " 'Two words' is two words." This, of course, would be true. The phrase "Two words" consists of two seperate words. The words, of course, are "Two" and "words".

The word "is" is not an equals sign. It would make sense to argue what you're saying if SKidd had said "A lot = two words." He did not say this, however. He used the word "is".

Also, I do have a LONG LONG LONG way to go, and I don't particularly want to take the ferry to get there.

EDIT: Actually, Rob is correct here. "Is" is the verb "to be", which doesn't actually fit with what SKidd intended to say. What he should have said is "'A lot' consists of two words" or "'A lot' is composed of two words."

I was only correcting Aleate on his statement that there was a subject-verb disagreement, however, and was in no way implying that the statement was correct.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Lol. I probably spent more time on grammar in this thread than in my actual assignments for English classes.

I certainly don't write perfectly and don't speak with correct grammar.

[COLLAPSE="@Rob's Post"]You can't start sentences with coordinating conjunctions. There are tense shifts as well.

Parentheses can not be used within parentheses. Brackets must be used inside parentheses.

Also, the second paragraph is missing a final, closing parenthesis.[/COLLAPSE]

No more Grammar Nazi-ing please D:

Kantrip

Kantplay
Umm... a parenthesis is a bracket....

Never mind, I understand what you were correcting. Rob pulled a (this is a bracket but now I have another thought so (this is another bracket I better end it.)

And he didn't close the first one either.

Understood.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Ah, my english teacher always called them parentheses/brackets and square brackets, respectively. It makes much more sense that they are named as you have stated, so I will use them as such from now on.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Sigh, this thread is so high strung.

So what kind of foods/snacks do you guys like eating (especially at Home Video)?

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I can bring stuff from sushi to cookies (although cookieless isn't allowed to have any :().

Kantrip

Kantplay
Yeah. I'm generally not picky and if you decide to bring something I will be happy with whatever it is :)
Can't speak for anyone else though, so perhaps they will have better answers.

SKidd, those are get-yourselfs. C'mon, don't be so lazy!

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Well assuming I come, which I probably can at 5:30pm-ish, I can stop by Costco and bring down a pizza.

Or I could always bring some of that curry I had for lunch. It was "Indian spicy" but soooo tasty.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Didn't I mention this a gazillion times, haha? I work from 8-4pm on Saturdays which is why I like Sundays :x

Post count ++

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Oh, yeah.... :(

To make up for you not being in the tourney, wanna mm when you get there? :awesome:
Yeah, pick on the poor Zelda player because it's a guaranteed payday qq. But yeah, sorry I don't gamble (anymore). Although, I would bet with the spare change that exists in my wallet without a change... pouch :x

Honestly, I'm really not that good as I've repeatedly told a few people but I guess I'll see when I get there. By the way, I learned what DI was from Rob and Sheldon recently and that's apparently as nooby as you can get.

Nites guys :)

Kantrip

Kantplay
>>Implying I'm not a noob.

I've attended two tournies and tied for last in both of them iirc.

That's fine though, I understand :) Good night Aleate!

Kantrip

Kantplay
The offer was to make up for Aleate not entering singles, so I may or may not mm anyone else for real money (runescape gold, maplestory mesos, WoW gold, monopoly money, and krimbucks are another story)

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Well, I have several posts to respond to.

First, about the bracket inside brackets, I know it is incorrect, but I love doing it anyways, especially when I get 3 or 4 brackets deep. I guess it's because I love math and complex equations and stuff, and that's as close as I can get in a typical smashboards thread.

I am also arriving late Crimson... Diddy ditto money match? ;)

And although this is one of the very few times I will actually say this, but whenever I get Zelda from random, I actually change to Sheik and play the match out (she plays like a melee character, probably more than any other character). So I have very little experience with Zelda. However, I "can" play her to an extent, but compared to almost the rest of the cast, she is one of my lower-end characters.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Rob, you're not making it in time for singles? If so, sure. Otherwise, the mm is for one of the alternative currencies I listed above :p

inb4robisjustsayingthattokeepthefactthathemainszeldaasalowtierasurprise

Top Bottom