• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Straight out voting would not work. We have too few people for it to work. If 3 people make flawed voting lists, then the entire list will be flawed. And saying that their votes don't count isn't fair.

With the number of people we have, there are basically two legit ways to do a PR (as far as I can see). The first is what we currently have. Panelists discuss amongst themselves and create a PR.

The other method we can do is have everybody being involved in the discussion. The problem with this is that during the discussion, people will be saying why they think someone is better or worse than someone else. So... people's feelings may get hurt, and hate may ensue. Also, everyone will be arguing why they should be one or two places higher on the list... and it will just be a nightmare.

For the sake of simplicity, it's just better to have a panel make the discussion, and if necessary, they may ask for other outside input on certain decisions (e.g. say SKidd and Alphicans were a close decision for 9th place, we may ask HNG his opinion if he's played them both alot). But essentially, having a panel means we're more likely to agree, and if we do disagree, it's not insane chaos.

I was half-playing brawl while posting this, so if it makes no sense at some points, then that's why. I used SKidd, Alphicans, and HNG because they were the last people to post before this one (edit: Jake posted since then, but I'll leave it as it is for the lulzy reason of Alphicans being on the BC PR), and I used 9th place for GaW reasons... ;)

OK, this post probably makes no sense at this point, but I'll post it anyways, and hope that there is something useful in it lol.

edit: If you guys want tournaments, either host them, or come to Victoria for last-minute Victoria tournaments lol.

Kantrip

Kantplay
I will be on the PR before the Wiiu and next smash come out. :glare:

Someone's hosting a tournament in June or July. There are valid reasons why a number of us cannot host, but for those who live on the mainland, are old enough to host, and have enough intelligence to run a venue and a day event, if you don't have a reason why you are not stepping up then I am upset with you :urg:

EDIT: Oh and you know what, I'm equally happy with a smashfest because I just want to be able to play some tourney-level people in my scene rather than having four player free-for-alls on tourney stages with 3 stocks 8 minutes with my scrubby friends.

So, even easier criteria, who is allowed to host a smashfest and can hold the people comfortably?

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Hm, I have no clue on how to host, who to contact and whatnot but if anybody wants to help, I could try doing something about the first Sunday of July, or some weekday. I work/have class on most weekdays and have work on Saturday and Sunday for the next two weeks. D:

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Hm, I have no clue on how to host, who to contact and whatnot but if anybody wants to help, I could try doing something about the first Sunday of July, or some weekday. I work/have class on most weekdays and have work on Saturday and Sunday for the next two weeks. D:
What about hosting a smashfest?

Edit - Or is that what you mean lololololol

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
It's gonna have to be early and a weekday where I don't work/have class if Smashfest means "at home". * Looks at mom's expression when she sees a bunch of strangers playing video games*

I do have a decently large room with two wide screen TVs in it.

Captain L

Smash Champion
I could try hosting a tournament, I'm pretty close to the venue (relatively) and I think I know approximately what to do

Jake just needs to give me a crash course on tio

HNG

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather have a smashfest at someone's house ;o

I've never been to a smash fest really..And the only time I've been to someone's house to play brawl (competitively) was in like Sacramento..once D;

Someone host a smashfest in Vancouver :D .. or Richmond would be preferably better ;O

Captain L, Hosting is mad easy haha. Well i've only got online tourney hosting exp. Sooo, i'm not the one to talk I guess xD

Captain L

Smash Champion
Yeah but offline you gotta remember to collect money and you gotta organize pools and have a fair bracket and also come the day before to set up and stuff.

It still probably isn't that hard though you're right

HNG

Smash Journeyman
Yeah but offline you gotta remember to collect money and you gotta organize pools and have a fair bracket and also come the day before to set up and stuff.

It still probably isn't that hard though you're right
Setting up would be nice if you had someone to help. But I'd prefer a Smashfest still ;o

Captain L

Smash Champion
I dunno, it's been too long since the last tourney so we should have one. Even if smashfests happen as well. I think we could get 15 people out since it's summer (optimism!)

and we have to team

HNG

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, it's been too long since the last tourney so we should have one. Even if smashfests happen as well. I think we could get 15 people out since it's summer (optimism!)

and we have to team
imo, have someone host bi-weekly Smashfests or something. It would REALLY help people get better. Maybe we can crash at Aleate's place every 2 weeks ;o

And yes. We have to team (:

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Tournaments sound like a whole lot of work and too much effort.

They are actually very easy to do. and TIO is a piece of cake to use.

running a tournament is so easy, for Victoria tournaments, all I usually do is make the brackets randomly (maybe a little bracket reorganization if necessary), then let people update the brackets themselves. if people know how to use it, then you literally don't have to do much at all... except for the occasional "you two have to play your match".

And as far as money is concerned... if you get eliminated from the tournament, just take everything that's yours, and run out of the venue with all the money. you won't have to worry about pot slits or anything :p

Kantrip

Kantplay
Lol@Blue Yoshi.

Last week of school for me, then I've got summer and I am totally good with biweekly smashfests and a tournament or two. TOing seems not that hard if you've been to enough to know how things go. You got this Landon!

:phone:

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
If I am in Victoria this weekend (and if I feel like it), I will be hosting a smash/other tournament (in Victoria). So... if you guys are really in that much need of a brawl tournament, consider coming down to Victoria lol :p

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I'd just like to thank everyone who watched the stream. I hope it was entertaining and the quality was good.

Sorry for double MK grand finals LOL. I tried my best to beat Joe but I didn't know the fox matchup as well as I had thought. I was picking it up more and more as we played.

I hope you guys can get some tournaments going. And easy to host? Well I guess in victoria that's true.

Your Wiiu discussion was funny to read lol. Lrn the new Wiiu controller :p

And as for the MK's. Ppl do what they gotta do to win lol. I'll show u guys the Ontario PR when its done. No later than this weekend.

bundtcake

Smash Ace
Your Wiiu discussion was funny to read lol. Lrn the new Wiiu controller :p
except the wii u is designed for only one wii u controller, so even if it was an option for smash bros only one person would be allowed to use a wii u controller, meaning that if for some reason the controller didn't get banned, it would give an unfair advantage to the player that actually gets to use the wii u controller

Asa

Smash Hero
there'll be a tourney stream for the hawaii tournament july 9-10, and ben may be here (Brick will fo sho be here).

HNG

Smash Journeyman
Aleate, do you think we could come over to your house for smashfests every like..other week for smashfests? (:

HNG

Smash Journeyman
Why would we buy tickets for ferries, rides etc all the way to Victoria when we can just set a smashfest ourselves here?

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
Why would we buy tickets for ferries, rides etc all the way to Victoria when we can just set a smashfest ourselves here?
hahaha tell that to the people who are going to genesis that are coming from europe lol

HNG

Smash Journeyman
hahaha tell that to the people who are going to genesis that are coming from europe lol
Lmao. That's different..

Genesis 2 is a MAJOR tournament, and people from worldwide are coming to it. Smashfests are like..not even big..not even close. Hundreds of people will be at Genesis 2.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
The difference is we are actually doing stuff here, while you guys are doing nothing. It's easy to say it's better to just do stuff there on the mainland, but if nothing ever gets done, then coming to Victoria may be a better strategy ;)

HNG

Smash Journeyman
The difference is we are actually doing stuff here, while you guys are doing nothing. It's easy to say it's better to just do stuff there on the mainland, but if nothing ever gets done, then coming to Victoria may be a better strategy ;)
Which is why I'm asking Aleate if we can have smashfests at his house?? lol.

HNG

Smash Journeyman
Well, if you guys are only doing smashfests then there isn't much point on anyone from the island going.
Well, it doesn't matter if people from the island go or not. I'm pretty sure at least 5 people will be able to make it. Like.. Skidd, Captain L, Me, Sinister, Aleate, and anyone else who would want to go. Buuuuttt, we still have to ask Aleate if we can go to his house.

Kantrip

Kantplay
And myself. We could attain an easy 5 every 2 weeks no problem. We have the people and the motivation, we just need a location.

Top Bottom