• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
The thing is, why go down to a mainland tournament when we can have our own tournaments on the island? It makes much more sense to just stay here, save the ferry money, and host tournaments ourselves. Lets face it, the leading candidate for hosting mainland tournaments is myself >_>, so why not just do tournaments here instead? If you know what I mean...

HNG

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, why go down to a mainland tournament when we can have our own tournaments on the island? It makes much more sense to just stay here, save the ferry money, and host tournaments ourselves. Lets face it, the leading candidate for hosting mainland tournaments is myself >_>, so why not just do tournaments here instead? If you know what I mean...
Yeah, I know what you mean. I just wish the BC smash scene were more active.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
he'll make the brawl mainland scene 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat.
...:ohwell:

Edit: @ Landon: TiO is pretty easy to figure out; I'd recommend simply downloading it if you don't already have it and just playing around with it for a little while. That should give you a feel for how the basic functions work, which is all you really need to run a monthly. If you have any more specific questions, I can help you out.

:005:

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
One easy way to learn how to use it is make a mock tournament. Have the entrants be the numbers 1 through 8. Make the bracket however you wish (random seeding, whatever). Now, pretend the lower number always beats a higher number (i.e. 1 always beats 2, etc.). Then go through the tournament like that. It should take less than 2 minutes to do, but it gives you an idea of how it works.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Aleate, do you think we could come over to your house for smashfests every like..other week for smashfests? (:
Sure. Problem is I have classes Tues/Wed/Thurs (with work on Tues/Thurs; noon-night classes Wed). I have work usually on Monday, and Sat/Sun for sure so it's gonna be tough to squeeze something in >_>.

If we can agree on a Monday or Friday in advance (two weeks), I'll see what I can do about not being scheduled for that day.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
A Friday sounds good but... I wouldn't mind having the smashfest somewhere else.

Just saying because I am somewhat uncomfortable having people I don't know coming over to my house.

HNG

Smash Journeyman
lol. we aren't going to trash your place or anything. But yeah, I understand what you mean, but your place is the most convenient. And you can get to know us ((((:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
lol. we aren't going to trash your place or anything. But yeah, I understand what you mean, but your place is the most convenient. And you can get to know us ((((:
It's convenient? Well to be honest I don't mind but I would prefer to know the people first.

Reminds me of my aunt and uncle. The first time they met was at their wedding... lol

HNG

Smash Journeyman
It's convenient? Well to be honest I don't mind but I would prefer to know the people first.
Lol, will introductions help?

Hi. I'm HNG, i'm 14 years old and I live in Richmond. I main MK and submain Lucario, Snake, Falco, ZSS, Diddy, Luigi, Peach, and DeDeDe. I can use most of the roster though, lol.

Don't worry, most people are friendly other than clouderz. BUUTTT he just disappeared off the face of the earth after the Albertans came and ***** him.

;o

EDIT: yeah, it's most convenient cause you live in Vancouver which is like the center of where everyone else lives. In addition, you have 2 TV's.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Lol this is funny.

I admit my only fear is my mom coming home and seeing all of you guys. She knows I don't hang out with 11 and 14 year old people and playing "games" is blasphemous in my [family] culture.

And, I live in Port Coquitlam.

HNG

Smash Journeyman
Lol this is funny.

I admit my only fear is my mom coming home and seeing all of you guys. She knows I don't hang out with 11 and 14 year old people and playing "games" is blasphemous in my [family] culture.

And, I live in Port Coquitlam.
You could talk to your mom about having a couple of.."people" over to play smash, lmao.

I thought you lived in Vancouver. fffff-

HNG

Smash Journeyman
Correction: Jake beat him in the winner's bracket, and I beat him in the loser's bracket. I don't believe he played anyone from Alberta at all in the tournament. BC's Yoshis ***** him XD
I remember watching that set. It was on Castle Seige o;
Everyone was crowded around and yelling, lol. Esp Ben.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Anybody wanna try Wifi? I figured out how it worked a few days ago although I lag somewhat :x

Oh and I'm prone to losing D:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I feel so ignorant D: I'm like a parent. Technology baffles my mind to the point that I don't want to bother learning even though it's likely easy as hell to understand.

Looking for Smashfest at somebody else's place :D I heard:

Home Video
3274 Coast Meridian Road, Port Coquitlam, B.C.

was a nice location. Make it a Monday/Friday and I'll be there all day :D

Kantrip

Kantplay
LOL@naming our venue.

Sure, who's hosting? Sounds to me like a tourney :D

Yay for full circle convos.
Rob, you wanna host?
:troll:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Haha. I mean tournament wise the best few players are most likely to win the tournament so attempting to balance things isn't a big deal is it? A random generator would work right?

As for money, I can do that. Whether it's admission, pot splits, or whatnot it's all easy as pie to me. Although it's not too similar, I used to host boss runs on MapleStory, sell drops, and distribute splits so... With the numbers being as clean as they are (based on the information in the post thinger), I can do this all in my head.

Kantrip

Kantplay
You just don't want one side of the bracket to be stacked.

Maplestory 2 gud.

The program Captain L and people were talking about, TiO, is a great tool to assist with bracket organization and running the brackets to make it eaven easier to keep track of stuff. The easiest way to do a tourney in my eyes, since so many people are willing to but concerned they won't be able to, is to just have a few people working together :)

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I've run paper/pencil tournaments, made brackets from scratch. Once you know how to do it, and know what the bracket looks like, you don't even need TIO. But it makes things 10000 times easier.

What weekend are you planning on doing this? This weekend, I am staying in Victoria, and may or may not host a tournament (depends on what I am doing this weekend, I may be out of town). So if you were thinking of doing a tournament this weekend, I'm out.

If I do come down for a tournament, I can host it/help host it, but as I said, don't rely on me, or the only tournaments that are happening will happen in Victoria. Island 2 gud

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
You can just host a smashfest at Home Video; we have done it before. =0 They'd have TVs and tables and chairs and everything; you'd just have to set it up in advance, and probably pay a bit of a venue fee for making use of the space.

Also, Clouderz and Breez lost to two full AB teams in doubles. They lost to Superboom and KillLock in winner's and the twins in loser's (who me + Alphicans beat immediately after, which was great because Breez ditched me for Clouderz and Clouderz ditched Alphicans for Breez =D ).

And yeah, brackets can easily be done on pencil/paper. In fact, I usually make the brackets by hand and then enter them into TiO, which keeps everything neat and makes the results a cinch to post later on.

:005:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
*Has Friday off this week*

This week is surprisingly free. No work Tues/Wed/Friday.

Looking to win the lottery so I can quit both of my jobs. If I didn't have work, I wouldn't mind setting these up even though I have no idea what goes on :D

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
By the way, anybody wanna add me on MSN?

*double posts for attention*

I call Stare Decisis so I should not get any warning/infraction for this. (ie. Deap triple posting)

Top Bottom