• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Well, I just played in the Victoria tournament not caring at all and throwing my matches (spammed the chair against Max), so I am questioning whether or not I will be able to take brawl seriously next weekend... and if not... then there is not really a point for me to go.

I will likely go, but if I am just going to not end up playing seriously... then well, there's no point wasting $100...

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well, I just played in the Victoria tournament not caring at all and throwing my matches (spammed the chair against Max), so I am questioning whether or not I will be able to take brawl seriously next weekend... and if not... then there is not really a point for me to go.

I will likely go, but if I am just going to not end up playing seriously... then well, there's no point wasting $100...
Sounds like some serious johns going down.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I honestly don't remember the results at all. I believe it went Mitch 1st and Deap 2nd.

I'll likely go, but if I feel like I'm just going to give up... we'll see.

edit: ninja'd
Rob I don't understand how you can not care that much lol.
Well... for brawl, the only person I play is Trevor. The only person Trevor plays is me. We've played each other so much that it is not fun anymore. We get bored playing each other after like 2 matches. The only time we get some excitement is when we choose a new character each, but then again it doesn't last long. We have tried endlessly to do stuff with the other islanders, but nobody has shown interest (or, as I found out this tournament, we may have asked the wrong person who was too lazy to do stuff...).

Melee, until like a week ago, none of the melee players told me when anything happened.

64, nobody plays it, my online sucks, so I don't play it much.

Basically, my smashing is slowly becoming non-existent, and it's hard to take seriously...

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I believe Mitch = Defender. Did he use Bowser? =0

I'm kind of getting a taste of having nobody to play here now. It's not fun. =[ Suck to hear all the Robert.

I've updated the OP with attendance.

:005:

Kantrip

Kantplay
:/
Something come up SKidd? The attendance doesn't look very friendly for a tournament that is less than a week away.

SKidd

Smash Master
Lacrosse game.

It seems every Saturday there aren't tournaments, I have nothing on.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Hmm. That's true, the date was just confirmed. People will come! :)

SKidd, will it be like last tourney where you came after doubles or you can't make it at all?

Asa

Smash Hero
Lacrosse games will likely go on longer than practices (like the last time)

Captain L

Smash Champion
inform your team that you will not be able to make the game because you are playing super smash bros with a bunch of people who are approximately twice your age

Kantrip

Kantplay
Side events, friendlies, and the playing of the previous two installments of the smash series can all fill in time quite nicely :)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Side events, friendlies, and the playing of the previous two installments of the smash series can all fill in time quite nicely :)
Oh awesome. I get off work at 4pm, it'll take about 1hr to get home then shower and maybe eat then head down to Home Video >_>

I don't even own an N64 anymore and my Gamecube has been with my friend for many years now >_>

I have... Sonic Adventure 2 Battle still which makes for a good multiplayer game hahaha.

bundtcake

Smash Ace
Not coming to this tournament, btw. Figured I should mention 'cuz I still have Sinister's controller + Wii power cable, I dunno if anybody's willing to pick that up from me sometime before the tournament but I'm sure he'd be grateful O:

Captain L

Smash Champion
Yes, as long as none are game altering.
Also if Blue Yoshi comes he will take out the SD card from your wii whenever he plays on it because players reserve the right to remove textures, just so you're aware. It should be fine with most other people though as long as they're not too wild.

Edit: I should refresh more often

SKidd

Smash Master
Lacrosse games will likely go on longer than practices (like the last time)
Yep.

Hmm. That's true, the date was just confirmed. People will come! :)

SKidd, will it be like last tourney where you came after doubles or you can't make it at all?
I'm not sure. It might be at, like 4 PM, 7 PM, or 11 PM, in White Rock.

inform your team that you will not be able to make the game because you are playing super smash bros with a bunch of people who are approximately twice your age
Right on it, sir.

Asa

Smash Hero
Textures should be banned period!!!!
they don't need to be banned (they should be conservative though), as you can always request them to be taken off. you just need to remove the SD card, it's not that big of a deal lol.

There's like 7 people coming. How are you guys gonna last 8 hours? :(
it's easy. you just play smash for 8 hours :3
One time I played smash for 16 hours straight - after a tournament lolll

LOL this guy ^

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Not coming to this tournament, btw. Figured I should mention 'cuz I still have Sinister's controller + Wii power cable, I dunno if anybody's willing to pick that up from me sometime before the tournament but I'm sure he'd be grateful O:
Super grateful

:c

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Asa, they should be banned. And here's why:

If they are not banned, people will put up with the textures so they do not waste anymore time than needed. Lets say they don't notice the textures till the match actually starts. Lots of people at that point will not want to restart just to take out the textures, especially the type of people who play competitive video games. Most of us aren't the assertive kind, and will settle the majority of the time. Yes this is a personality flaw, but tournaments should not be testing this, they should only be testing our skills.

I was watching KTAR5, and they had snake's c4 as bright pink. I don't think any of the stages were changed, but just the c4 was bright pink. That changes the game substantially, and sometimes snake won't plant a c4 until his opponent loses the first stock. He is not going to want to restart the game no matter what at that point. Also DDD's sideB had different colours for waddle dees and waddle doos(?) Is this fair? The background of stages can also hide/reveal c4 or even characters. GaW is a great example of this... On BF, when the stage is really blue, if you're the blue GaW, it is actually hard to see him; on japes if you're the red GaW it is actually hard to see him. If textures change these stages or others, GaW loses/gains something. Not to say it's a big deal, but I don't think it's fair to alter the game in that way.

Another point is that some times textures change parts of a character. An example is marth's sword. I've seen textures that change the length of marth's sword.... Sometimes it's very noticeable, sometimes it's subtle. If it's subtle, it is reasonable not to notice it right away or if at all, and that can change a lot in a match.

So yeah, texture hacks have the potential to alter gameplay a lot.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I have never played with textures nor know where and how to get them but I think the biggest problem is this:

Most of us aren't the assertive kind, and will settle the majority of the time. Yes this is a personality flaw, but tournaments should not be testing this, they should only be testing our skills.
Really? It's not the end of the world to say you don't want them. If it's as simple as taking out an SD card then what's the big deal? If one was truly competitive, wouldn't he or she do whatever it takes to have an advantage or at least have an even playing field?

If all players want these effects, then have at it knowing that textures can potentially alter one's gameplay but heighten the entertainment value. If one person doesn't want it, his or her request should be respected as many factors such as rules, playing style, and what have you may be built upon the default visuals of the game.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
You seemed to have missed my point completely. I agree it is not the end of the world, or a big deal, and if people were really serious about winning they SHOULD have the assertiveness to take out the SD card... However, lots of people don't want to mess around with others' belongings or hold up the tournament more than they need to. People are sheep in general. It's a psychological factor that shouldn't be tested.

I also brought up other points that doesn't deal with this.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Well, I'm going on a limb here and guessing your main point is textures can alter gameplay to a great extent. In a tournament setting, I can see the importance of this. As far as I can see, the only two possible things one can do about this dilemma is to do nothing and accept the fact you're at a disadvantage or doing something about the textures.

Just tell the owner of the machine: "Hey buddy, I can't play normally with these textures. Can you take them out?" With this, you can have the owner of the machine directly remove the SD card plus what's a few minutes wasted in an hours long event. In an official tournament setting, there is no excuse (unless it is explicitly expressed in the rules) for keeping textures if one wishes to have them removed for the duration of the match.

Unless there are people unable to communicate due to language barriers or physical limitations, I see no reason why textures should be banned as the solution to this problem is uttering a single sentence. If one is unable, psychologically, to say this then I must wonder what this person is doing at the tournament in the first place.

PS: Forgive me if I'm ignorant in these matters, as I do not play competitively nor have I ever been in a tournament. This is all in the perspective of an outsider.

Top Bottom