• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

Kantrip

Kantplay
Also just played a bit of brawl for the first time in literally over a month today.

And I'm taking top 4 at the next monthly.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Landon, you should play more aggressively. It'll make our games less lame<3 That'll surprise the people who know your playstyle like the back of their hand like Jake and Dawson.

Of course, when you play the same people all the time, people will learn how you play and come up with a way to beat you.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
About that Facebook thing, do the potential newcomers know about this thread? Being a part of the social aspect of BC Brawl will help with retention.

I hope they main Snake/Falco and maybeeeee Shuttle Loop.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Omg... my sister asked me to buy her a LSP doll for Christmas. Is there no place to buy it except online?

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
I think the world would be better if Society didn't make lying a socially required thing.

A lot of things make sense now that I have realized this.
I just finished Code Geas: Lelouch of the rebellion and this was a big part of the story 0.0

Did you just happen to watch it too?

Asa

Smash Hero
I wish I could be smooth when I knew or wanted too, instead of just randomly.

That'd be cool.
It`s not that hard just do it #nike #marth #fair #cottoncandy #pumpkinrapper

and i'm planning on moving back to vancouver for culinary school

Alphicans

Smash Hero
One thing I regret not doing while in vancouver was not playing a lot of games with Landon. I actually wanted to give you so much help :/. It sucks your mindset is so ****ty atm, because I think if Dawson ran into a new Landon that approached the match-up in exactly the right way he'd be surprised how well pikachu does vs ICs. My biggest piece of advice I can give you is to stop focusing on winning, and focus only on getting better. I'd suggest playing the match-up radically different than you are now, and keep doing so until something starts working consistently. Who cares if you lose at this point? You've lost so many times that you honestly don't have anything to lose anymore.

Also your commentary was decent but the ending honestly made me laugh so hard. It was like semi monotone voice into insta screaming and hype.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
To be fair, Landon did start to get better and more confident in the ICs MU, but then got frustrated when he started losing to Dawson's secondaries in friendlies. Still, this:

My biggest piece of advice I can give you is to stop focusing on winning, and focus only on getting better.
is very good advice, and very applicable. Landon just needs to be able to accept the fact that Dawson's secondaries are good enough that you can't just autopilot against them.

:005:

| Big D |

Smash Master
LF commentary was kind of bashful :(

The most hype set in this history of the Earth

Real talk, take me to delfino again and I'm going G&W on you, your move.

I'm going to disagree with Pikachu doing well vs ICs but meh.

Landon, you have to stop being emo and have fun with the game. Be happy that you have players that can challenge you and give you the opportunity to get better. You say you don't know how to get better, and the reason you don't is because you get better by losing. You get better by making note of your mistakes, you get better by seeing what worked and what didn't, you get better by figuring out why you lost, not just by losing. I watch a lot of replays of myself and I am my own harshest critic, even when I win. But because of that I noticed I had a tendency to airdodge into your fsmash, or dash into nado, or drop my shield after a dsmash from MK, or fall for spotdodge dsmash after Falco Side Bs. You won't learn if you close your eyes and frustrate yourself. You're a good player Landon and I believe in you, but you have some bad habits that you could cure yourself of if you opened your eyes. You just have to stop having such a ****ty mindset. It's a mental game, you need a clear head to perform well. People ask how I handle pressure and you know, what I feel is minimal. I felt Jake could beat me and in my head I could accept that. I didn't feel much pressure during GFs, because Luke is a great player and I could accept that. That doesn't mean I gave up, but it helps clear my mind and allows me to concentrate on the match. My ambition is not to be the best in BC, it's just to get better, that's it. I was happy when Jake started beating my ICs because it meant that I had a means to get better, and guess what, I did. For you, the biggest thing you need to work on is your mindset, fix that and you will become great once again.

"Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” - Greg Anderson

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I try pretty hard to improve and I *try* to have a good attitude about losing. I do get mad when I lose when I definitely shouldn't have (I have a huge lead but I do something bad by mistake), and sometimes MK and even though he's super hard I still enjoy the MU.

I don't watch many Pikachu vids but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDetRw3cZ9M comes to mind. Maybe try playing like him despite the fact the game was so one sided :p Also, you could try being like Dawson and Jake and play another non-Jigglypuff character.

Just watched that Puff/IC game. What a completely stupid game to get hyped over. Brawl sucks.

Captain L

Smash Champion
That all sounds so hard

See This is why people like melee cause when you feel like you've plateaued there is always more techskill to practice. Obviously I'm not saying the game is not all techskill, I'm just saying there's always room for technical improvement. Brawl that really isn't the case.

Dawson if you choose gw on delfino I'll go mk or just pikachu... It's my cp.

I don't know I guess I just can't handle the transition from being on top to being middle-high. I used to win bc tournaments on campy autopilot, now I'm not sure how to not autopilot, since that's basically all my pikachu does. And when I start thinking really hard about the match I tend to tunnel-vision and get *****. This is my reason for liking jigglypuff because I really don't have a jigglypuff autopilot. She also has so few good options that I can pretty clearly consider what my best choice is. Obviously I'm not talking about the playstyle I used on the delfino match, but in general I have a much clearer mindset as jigglypuff.

Thanks for the posts guys but I'm pretty sure emo-Landon isn't going away for a while

Oh ps mike I have your cash but I don't know how I can get it to you before you go :/

:phone:

Yakal

Torquasm-Rao
techskill will not help you when you've reached a certain level of skill

Improving in Melee and brawl are basically the same process. i've gotten as good as I have by doing exactly what dawson said.

You need to take a step away from the game. One of the best ways to improve is playing a lot but after a little while you may start falling into bad habits and at this point you could either push through them and actively think about not doing them or walk away for a little while then return to it. You might be a little rusty but your mindset will be a lot better.

Of course you already knew this but w/e

Captain L

Smash Champion
It's because I can't learn from my losses until I stop beating myself up about them.

EDIT: After watching the jigglypuff replay I see exactly what went wrong, I knew I should've had another jump but I used one up as he was hitting me with the ice blocks. That's why I thought I would be totally fine going to the edge. I know how to count to 5 I just didn't realize his ice blocks took away my jump.

yooooo why didn't you keep the sudden death with that upload??? It was glorious.

_GrapE_

Smash Lord
I really wish I could level up and had the motivation to like I did before. It'll be some time before I'm at that point again. Probably not until Landon and I move.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
The thing is that Jigglypuff will only make your situation worse. I almost feel like you're playing Jigglypuff to make your losses "OK" and you can just put the blame on her.

I don't see the correlation between being unable to learn and getting over something from a video game. I actually agree with Arcansi. :o

Arcansi

Smash Champion
It's because I can't learn from my losses until I stop beating myself up about them.
Then don't.

When you lose, no inhuman situation happens that causes you to automatically beat yourself up about it, or take that beating the wrong way. (For reference, this is one of my ways of improving. You don't have to do it in such a way that it is bad.)

You decide to do it, and then you do.

And then later you're like 'OMG WHY I DO THIS AIGHROIHAGIOHEA'.

So just stop.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Also, another thing is things take work and time. You can pick up a new character (which I think would be a good thing), but you're not going to get good with him right away. I think Jake is a really good example. When he [basically] dropped Yoshi for MK, I was more or less even with him. But over time, he practised with him a lot and honed his MK skills and he pretty much beats me every time now :p

Is Jigglypuff's ideal strategy to time people out?

Where is the internet? Is there a central place where all things are connected to? What makes it so I can access so many sites so quickly? I'm not really good with technology, so a little kid answer would be awesome if anybody knows the answer. <- serious question

T-block

B2B TST
it's definitely a stronger strategy for her, relatively speaking, in comparison with other characters. to say "ideal" is oversimplifying imo.

websites are stored all over the place. most smaller sites (eg- personal websites) are hosted by web hosting companies, which are companies that run massive server computers, and essentially "rent" some of the space on these servers to consumers. there are plenty of web hosting companies, and the servers could be anywhere in the world really.

but that's not the only way by any means... it's actually easy to host a web server from your personal computer (so that anyone viewing a web page on your server would actually have a direct connection to your own computer), but a personal computer and a household internet connection won't be able to handle too much traffic.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Oh that's pretty neat. I imagine these companies aren't "connected" to each other (as opposed to everything being connected from the servers to my computer) so how are we able to access everything if things are separated?

T-block

B2B TST
you can think of it like our postal system. if you want to send a package to a friend in a village in japan, you're not going to be able to find a plane to fly from your post office straight to your friend's house. you first take it to a post office, and your package might then be sent to an office that handles mail to/from every address in port coquitlam. and maybe this office sends mail to/from an office that handles the entire BC province. this BC office knows to send it to the post office that handles mail coming in and out of all of canada. that then gets sent to the office handling everything in and out of japan. then to the prefecture office, etc. etc. mail gets routed through intermediate nodes as it goes from source to destination. just as the address on the envelope contains enough information for each node to know what to do with it, each data packet also contains enough information for each node in the network to know where to send it so that it gets to its final destination.

even in my personal computer web server example, when i said "direct connection" it's not a truly direct connection, since there's no physical medium that would directly connect their computer with yours. it's still this routing through intermediate nodes (the direct connection entity is actually a higher level protocol, TCP; the network of nodes belongs to IP, the Internet Protocol).

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Wow. It's crazy what has to be done to connect to a website and yet to a typical user, it's really fast. :o

Captain L

Smash Champion
Guys I made it pretty clear in one of my recent posts why jigglypuff. It's because she has so few and so simple options that it's really easy to think clearly. I mean, her ground game is trash except mixups and grabs, which just makes it a question of fair, nair, bair, or pound.

Ps my dad is 2 on the Canada wide PR for 711 managers

:phone:

Top Bottom