• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
I may be able to host a smashfest on the 31st/1st, due to the only time I'm actually free.

inb4alwaysfree

Also we banned MK due to over centralization correct?

If we input this rule, Fox, Falco, and Wolf will be even more popular than MK.

It is only with Pikachu's CG that this be kept in check.

This is a secret of the smash lab, T-block can vouch for that.
i'm not in the smash lab but I can vouch for that too

Believe it or we can try it next tourney :awesome:

I really wanna try reduced LGL, also crews.

And kev if you're taking transit from the PoMo area it'll take maybe 45 minutes if it all goes smooth, more or less.

Captain L

Smash Champion
since skidd won't be coming tomorrow I could pick Kevin up on my way to stronghold.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Spacey*

durr

But yeah what Crisis said

Spacie(s) for plurrals or whatever, it's all preference

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
since skidd won't be coming tomorrow I could pick Kevin up on my way to stronghold.
That's really nice of you but it's all right. I don't want to inconvenience you at all and I don't mind taking the bus :p

By the way, aren't a number of you going to a tournament down in the USA soon? If anybody there plays Peach I can probably get you a tiny bit of MU experience if you come tomorrow :)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Raninf, I'd love to meetcha if you could make it tomorrow :)

So the Smashfest starts at 11am right? I'm not sure when I can arrive but I'll probably make it at 1pm ish. I realized I can ask my dad drive me to the skytrain station.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
i might try to go to er... watch
True story. I had barely any knowledge of this game when I joined the community in July. I didn't know what DI, chaingrabs, and many other general knowledge concepts were.

I am very new and not that great at the game (yet, hopefully) but I'm sure you'll be able to hold your own at least against me. I would love to play you :)

Arcansi

Smash Champion
I give up. You're so caught up in your views that nothing else makes sense. It's not even worth arguing anymore. I'm skipping your posts, and that's that. Say what you want about me being illogical or whatever, I lost all faith in you possibly being able to have a good debate, so I'm done, do what you want, good luck, but it probably will not happen. I for one am against your rule.
And yet again, I have reached a point where I can do nothing but sit and wonder how oneself can be content with a process of thinking that would lead to this.

I'll probably never know. Then again, I am forever misunderstood.

@EVERYONE: Is it just me or was Rob looking for a reason to do this for a little bit? I mean, this is the (third? Idk) Second time he has been this aggressive towards me for what I can only see as no reason.

Idk.

Why can we assume that the game is created to be somewhat balanced? I want proof of this as well.
Game is created to be as fun as possible in order to sell a lot of copies. Extremely unbalanced games do not make for fun, especially with larger groups of friends where 1 or 2 people may be playing to win and others aren't.

The assumption that the game is intended to be fun is safe, based on marketing premises and the definition of "game". However, whether chain grabs are "fun" is completely subjective. Chain grabs can be "fun" for the performer. Perhaps they are not "fun" for the victim, but it could be said just as easily that losing a stock is not "fun" for the victim. Losing the game is not "fun" for the loser either. To state that the developers would not have allowed chain grabbing to stay in the game on the basis of "fun" is incredibly flawed. Do you think the fact that Dedede can regrab many characters after a d-throw was not noticed in the many hours spent testing the game? Perhaps the Ice Climbers' chain grab was not found, but it is natural to look for follow-ups for a move such as Dedede's d-throw, and it is highly likely that regrab was one of the options found, and yet it was left in the game. What are we to conclude from this?

1. You have to consider both the fun & anti-fun aspects of the move. (being in a standing infinite is a lot less fun then doing it is fun.)

People are playing smash because it is a fast, action packed game. So, a pause in the action can be a good thing, allowing people to refocus, etc.

However, longer pauses are usually a bad thing. Consider how the average new player reacts to a pit who planks with arrows, etc.

Chaingrabs create this longer pause. They can also cause new players to become severely angry with the game, and possibly stop playing altogether. This is not something that would be intended by any design team.

Now, not only are they extremely anti-fun for the player being hit by them, they are also not extremely fun for the player doing them. There is a large discrepancy here that should usually be avoided unless it points to large amounts of fun.

DDD's chaingrab might have been found, and intended to be in the game. In its across-the-stage variant, it is one of the faster and less damaging chaingrabs.

However, standing infinites and death grabs are a completely different story. As are things like falcos chaingrab.

Also, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Sakurai wanted more time on the game then he got. So he may have been planning to remove it(he can only infinite a random number of characters, perhaps he could infinite all of them on first release) and not been given the time.

Once again, Arcansi, you fail to realize that the premises on which you build your arguments are themselves flawed. With flawed premises, any conclusion drawn is going to be invalid, no matter how solid the logic is.
When my premise is flawed, this will be true.

Kantrip

Kantplay
No Arcansi, I actually saw from Rob that every time he got angry with you he would try again later to approach it from a different angle. He has done a lot of trying to understand and reason with you from my point of view, and each time he has given up from frustration.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
No Arcansi, I actually saw from Rob that every time he got angry with you he would try again later to approach it from a different angle. He has done a lot of trying to understand and reason with you from my point of view, and each time he has given up from frustration.
I don't understand why he gets angry at all.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
/signature. Why are you asking me this. Also, namesearch. I'm also not sure why I should listen to you, no offence. Like, what is wrong with what I have done here?

:fluttershy:

Ha ha haaaaaaaaa. Everything works out in the end. Unfortunately, it would seem I'm the only one working towards an end.
You're the only one concerned with "winning" arguments, you mean.

I initially posted to give you the community's views and what many reasonings are for things like avoiding changing the game too much with non-option-set rules. You ended up twisting words from the likes of Sirlin to attempt to support your beliefs.

I later posted to try to demonstrate why people had issue with your rules. Your response was to attack my supposed "position" by calling out the current URC ruleset's use of LGL and banning of Meta Knight, neither of which are things I personally support but whatever. I figured if I could at least give some reasoning behind those things I could get you to listen to me and at least begin to look at both sides. It was quickly becoming clear that that wasn't happening, and I didn't have enough of a personal investment in any of those things to want to keep trying to support them.

Eventually I figured you weren't gonna stop trying to call out anyone who disagreed with you as being illogical and/or lacking proof of something, so I tried to let you know that "winning" your arguments by telling everyone they're wrong to begin with would not actually win anything because alienating everyone would simply result in nothing changing. I tried to explain this in several different ways, but all I got back was "argumentum ad populum, you should look it up" and variants.

Eventually we went right back to the LGL and the MK ban. If getting you to tell me anything meaningful was a futile endeavor, and getting you to be any better at persuading people why your side is worth considering is just as hopeless, then why bother? I'll just "lose" and let you grandstand with your net gain of zero influence. But namedropping me to make even more of your silly arguments kind of irritates me.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Everybody (including aisight):

I really recommend you all stop arguing with Arcansi. History has proven that arguing with him has yielded nothing but annoyance.

For the sake of this thread, PLEASE stop arguing about rules that will never implemented. Despite the fact I've stopped reading these arguments for some time and don't even know what the actual problem is, I am still baffled as to why people still continue to debate with Arcansi. After months, has Arcansi gotten anywhere?

No, he hasn't.

Just stop guys. It's not worth the time and effort. :(

To Dakota: I think it's amazing that you stand so firmly behind your ideals. But please, just stop.

Crisis

Smash Ace
Try to show up earlier tomorrow guys. It's pretty lame if there's only one person there at 11.

Just one point Arcansi. Out arguing everyone does not achieve your goal. Convincing them does. And "logic" doesn't seem the to be the way.

Jason!

Smash Lord
So at least 6 people are coming tomorrow (Crisis, Sinister, Captain L, Raninf, Courier, and myself)

Who's bringing setups and is anyone else coming?

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
operation tear apart the newbie a-go

i'm bringing my set up

Crisis doesn't have a brawl disc and not sure about the rest, 3 set ups would be perfect though

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I can, of course, bring my setup. This time, it includes fully charged batteries!!!

Arcansi

Smash Champion
You're the only one concerned with "winning" arguments, you mean.
Okay.

I initially posted to give you the community's views and what many reasonings are for things like avoiding changing the game too much with non-option-set rules. You ended up twisting words from the likes of Sirlin to attempt to support your beliefs.
I don't know what you mean by non-option-set. I'm sorry that you think my logical interpretation is twisting.

I later posted to try to demonstrate why people had issue with your rules. Your response was to attack my supposed "position" by calling out the current URC ruleset's use of LGL and banning of Meta Knight, neither of which are things I personally support but whatever. I figured if I could at least give some reasoning behind those things I could get you to listen to me and at least begin to look at both sides. It was quickly becoming clear that that wasn't happening, and I didn't have enough of a personal investment in any of those things to want to keep trying to support them.
I look at both sides all the time. Just most of the time the other side makes little sense.

I'm sorry if you don't personally support things I use to support my argument. It's on the side your defending, and if my rule is only justified with LGL in place, guess what it's justified right now.

Eventually I figured you weren't gonna stop trying to call out anyone who disagreed with you as being illogical and/or lacking proof of something, so I tried to let you know that "winning" your arguments by telling everyone they're wrong to begin with would not actually win anything because alienating everyone would simply result in nothing changing. I tried to explain this in several different ways, but all I got back was "argumentum ad populum, you should look it up" and variants.
1. Isn't proving illogicity or pointing out lack of proof how you argue?

I don't understand how I alienate people by explaning how they are wrong.

This comes down to me looking at things differently then you. I don't really know what to say as I have no memories of the time you mention.

Eventually we went right back to the LGL and the MK ban. If getting you to tell me anything meaningful was a futile endeavor, and getting you to be any better at persuading people why your side is worth considering is just as hopeless, then why bother? I'll just "lose" and let you grandstand with your net gain of zero influence. But namedropping me to make even more of your silly arguments kind of irritates me.
What do you mean by meaningful? I'm not going to get any better because I don't understand most people.

It seems that people like to look at things illogically and resist change, for the most part. I can't understand this, and I can understand even less things like 1. The random injection of emotion into debate, 2. Thinking because you don't like something that you are standing for it shouldn't be argued against you, etc.

In the end, I have learned about people very little, because the way they think is fundamentally different from mine. This would be okay if it 1. made sense in some way how they think and 2. the way they think didn't keep coming out as inferior when related to mine.

Why does it irritate you?

Everybody (including aisight):

I really recommend you all stop arguing with Arcansi. History has proven that arguing with him has yielded nothing but annoyance.
To you. Your definition of annoyance seems to include long posts and large amounts of intelligence being gained, from what I can see.

Why?

For the sake of this thread, PLEASE stop arguing about rules that will never implemented. Despite the fact I've stopped reading these arguments for some time and don't even know what the actual problem is, I am still baffled as to why people still continue to debate with Arcansi. After months, has Arcansi gotten anywhere?

No, he hasn't.
Yes I have. And how would you know if you don't read the posts?

It baffles me how you can be okay with such obvious gaps of logic in your thinking.

Just stop guys. It's not worth the time and effort. :(

To Dakota: I think it's amazing that you stand so firmly behind your ideals. But please, just stop.
I think it's amazing all you people can be so illogical. Unfortunately, it's amazing stupid from what I can see, so I go everyday trying to prove myself wrong.

It hasn't worked yet. My ideals keep ending up provably better, and I don't know why.

Try to show up earlier tomorrow guys. It's pretty lame if there's only one person there at 11.

Just one point Arcansi. Out arguing everyone does not achieve your goal. Convincing them does. And "logic" doesn't seem the to be the way.
Crisis always smart.

I know this, and your quotes on logic confuse me, although that's okay.

What would you suggest I do? Get proof? This wouldn't even seem to be possible with my locality against me...

:fluttershy:

Frio

Smash Champion
Game is created to be as fun as possible in order to sell a lot of copies. Extremely unbalanced games do not make for fun, especially with larger groups of friends where 1 or 2 people may be playing to win and others aren't.
Disagree, I love doing lame **** to my friends and I find it very amusing; they also do. A good example of this is brawl minus. Anyways, this is the internet and I think you're ******** for arguing on it. IF you seriously have nothing better to do rather than typing out some long *** paragraph for us to read you need a hobby.

Trying to sounds ****ing intelligent on a brawl forum. Good grief.

Crisis

Smash Ace
@Arcansi, we can discuss on msn if you want.

Also someoneee please bring a setup at 11 am tommorow! Otherwise we'll have to sit for 2 hours!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The only thing I'm gaining from this, Arcansi, is even more realization of how stubborn you are. I won't bother with any more requests of you because none of it is worth the trouble. Good night.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Arcansi, can you please stop calling everyone an idiot. If you are going to constantly insult people, soon you will get people turning around and insulting you. I am tired of you insulting me, I'm sure everyone else is tired of being insulted, so stop, or you might find everyone will turn on you.

Top Bottom