• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Well, I highly doubt the Victoria attendance would change (i.e. just me, if me) if there was a MK banned tournament.

As far as changes in results... I never do well against MK's unless they are rediculously predictable, are having a bad day, or I'm 9 times better than them (Clouderz was having a bad day, and he was rediculously predictable). My four of my last five tournament losses have come to Meta Knights (the fifth being against Eric/Blunted Object when I didn't care about brawl and wanted to play 64). And I'm sure other people will have very different results if they don't have to face a Meta Knight. And not to say I would have won the last tournament, but historically, I have always beaten Landon in tournaments (he has improved since), and although I haven't played Big D in a serious match, the character he plays has a TERRIBLE matchup vs one of my main secondaries (haven't played him, so I don't know what the result would be)... and the only person I lost to was Deap's MK twice... so my results could have been completely different...

And as far as us not having a Meta Knight problem anymore since Clouderz left... Check Ben/Breez's placements. He has won every tournament he has attended since Clouderz left IIRC. HNG has started to place very high at tournaments, and Deap has always placed high at tournaments. Also, if Jake apparently mains Meta Knight, and assuming his placements with Meta Knight are going to be better than his Yoshi, then there's another very high placing Meta Knight. Until we actually get everyone to play at a tournament, we won't know how bad a Meta Knight problem we really have...

Started typing this out, did something else, and came back to this and finished typing, so it may have a logical gap somewhere... lol

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
The Victoria people do other stuff than play smash... to the point where our smash nights aren't exactly smash-related anymore lol :(

Also, I'm sure you know I would love to come, but there are several complications which will come up for me to go just for a night... ;)

And Aleate, your game looks too scary... I think I'll stick to WOW (lol jk :p)

Kantrip

Kantplay
Oh I see. The game looks fun, but every class is underpowered really. There is also severe balance issues with gene pools and such.

Also, I have a D&D group that actually meets every Saturday, which is why I would prefer tournaments on Sundays or weekdays because I generally miss something otherwise.

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
Llega la hora 11 guerreros nos salvan la vida, ya prepara su escudo casillas le cubrirán Sena y Puyol. Iniesta y Xavi van dirigiendo la caballería, Villa y Torres son la artillería este es nuestro batallón!!!!

Football somos la roja football,vamos Espa;a football cada corazón es un balón! football todos cantando football en cada campo football por que hoy viste de rojo el campeón!

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
You're all haters.

But yeah... who's man enough to main Zelda?

Also, how come I can't pick Sheilda as my Brawl icon?

Captain L

Smash Champion
Ben has won 2 tournaments since clouderz left I'm pretty sure. The others were pretty much all won by Brian. Jake also admits that his MK will probably never be better than his yoshi. I guess it's just for **** matchups (toon link anyone?)

And with that I'm off! See you in a couple weeks guys :)

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Ben has won 2 tournaments since clouderz left I'm pretty sure. The others were pretty much all won by Brian. Jake also admits that his MK will probably never be better than his yoshi. I guess it's just for **** matchups (toon link anyone?)

And with that I'm off! See you in a couple weeks guys :)
What he said. Ben got 3rd at the last tournament he entered, losing to myself and Brian...and he's always been top 3 in BC even before he started using MK, so it's not like the character is carrying him or anything. As for me, the whole "maining MK" thing is just a joke. :x I don't have anybody to play with other than my brother, and I've been trying to practice Yoshi for the last couple months...not MK.

Robert, you must really hate MK, because he really isn't a problem here. Yes, HNG and Deap do relatively well, but in a tournament with all our ranked players, they very likely wouldn't place in the money; the top 6 would probably consist of Brian, Ben, myself, Bryan, Landon, and you (assuming you're not sandbagging or johning or something). There is exactly 1 MK in that group. Hell, all we'd have to do is get 42 over here for a tournament (maybe he doesn't play anymore, but w/e) and we'd have more evidence to ban ROB than we would have to ban MK. None of our tournament results have been strongly centered around MK...even when Clouderz still played. =/

P.S. Have fun Landon! =D

:005:

Crisis

Smash Ace
So no event on Monday? D: That might be the only day I'm free.

Okay, last attempt to be *actually* social with you guys.

Daniel and I (and possibly Eric) are gonna go to the Night Market on *next* Saturday evening/night. Anybody else wanna come with us?
Maybe. I'm Eric as well btw. ;)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
So no event on Monday? D: That might be the only day I'm free.
Maybe. I'm Eric as well btw. ;)
Somebody set it up by all means. Maybe one day I'll step up, once I get used to how things work around here.

I'm Kevin, nice to meetcha Eric :).

ChaosM

Smash Rookie
I'm fairly new to the boards in general; I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.

Is there going to be a tournament held in August? Or has it just not been announced yet?

SKidd

Smash Master
We are trying our best for an August tournament.

But if there isn't, there will be a 'regional' tournament in September. Alberta will be flying down.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I do really hate Meta Knight. I've made that very clear. I will very easily admit a few of my posts may be a little biased... ok, all are very biased... but yeah, I absolutely hate Meta Knight. At the time, I was very serious when I said I would just do something like go Ganondorf and spam Warlock Punch against anyone who goes MK. Now, I don't know what I'll do... depends on what I feel like doing when the time comes.

But yeah, my posts against Meta Knight are 100% me hating Meta Knight. If I'm the only one who thinks this way, then so be it. I'm pretty sure there are others who are also pro-ban (but not as extreme pro-ban as me), but, well, that's what I think of MK, so... yeah.

Anyways, it is very likely I will not be able to attend a tournament on the weekend of July 30th, August 13th, august 27th... (every 2nd weekend). Work johnz. As for the other weekends, well, it depends on if I get called in. I may be getting a full-time position which makes me unavailable those days. So... yeah. Just a heads up.

Kantrip

Kantplay
The SNL can be done on BF and SV without trouble as well, the timing just becomes more strict if you have a platform above you.

Seriously, though, Big D? Learning an AT I've been working at for a matter of weeks now and can't do consistently, just like that? I envy your techskill.

EDIT: Pretty sure the SNL works on YI:B and Castle Siege (situational) as well. And many parts of Rainbow Cruise. And pretty much anywhere you have even the tiniest portion of level ground.

Captain L

Smash Champion
oh I had no idea SNL was so versatile, I though platforms on any stage would screw it up unless you were like in the perfect area of battlefield with no platforms interfering.

I find SNL isn't too difficult once you get the first one, but finding an opportunity to set it up and NOT choking once you realize you can get it is what makes it so hard. Maybe Pikachu has more lenient timing though.

Kantrip

Kantplay
MK's timing is actually among the easiest (you can buffer any part of the SNL and won't drop it).

Pikachu is, on the other hand, quite difficult. You have to glidetoss backwards, throwing down. Then dash back forward in time to instant throw the nanner. There's a possibility for tripping, which makes it not even a true infinite.

SKidd

Smash Master
Mario doesn't have any infinites. Only spacing, mindgames, and fireballs. I guess bair is worth mentioning, too.

| Big D |

Smash Master
I just tried it, Wario has the same infinite as Diddy with tires, they need to be in a missed tech animation. I'm going to upload a video soon.

Ya, it took me about 20 minutes, I can do stuff now that I've never been able to do. Dacus with Sheik consistently, Uair string with Peach, QAC lock(HARD AS H E DOUBLE SNAKES), SNL. Screw Snake, I'm going Wario.

BTW, for the buffered Dthrow > Uair > footstool, it helps to have tap jump on, so you can just do Up and A, then once that connects, DI towards the opponent and buffer a jump. It's following that up is what's hard for me.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Daniel and I (and possibly Eric) are gonna go to the Night Market on *next* Saturday evening/night. Anybody else wanna come with us?
Yes, I'm quoting myself. Take a break from the game, and all the stunts and infinites that come with it.

By the way, don't infinites take the fun from the game? Maybe it's just personal bias, but isn't there so much more satisfaction in winning without cheap shots and using an underdog character?

| Big D |

Smash Master
Maybe the Dedede standing grab or Marth on Ness/Lucas. But the others do take a lot of skill and when you pull one off, especially on someone, it feels really satisfying. Plus it helps you win.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Well I can see your point but if you're consistently using these infinites and winning, won't other people get sick of it?

If people did this to me all the time, I wouldn't even bother playing against them. Waste of my time and I wouldn't be enjoying the game.

Top Bottom