• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff Matchup #7: Olimar

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Yeah Japes rocks him. And U-smash with purple pikmin ***** on Cruise.
Japes does not rock him as well as you would think. It's a bad stage, but it's easy for Olimar to rock hard there well.

If by some change we get a bunch of blues, water will be amazing. Our blue bthrow will kill Jigglypuff so fast, because of the side blast zones. An Olimar will stick to the right side, where if he's knocked off stage, he won't die. This stage is easy to camp on too. Don't forget that.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
:
PND, make a new chart : /

His range is annoying like marth's, and his smashes are too fast. He is the easiest character to gimp off stage, which makes him perfect for jiggs. I'd say 50:50 or anything close. I still am waiting for my olimar match from Maniclysane. :laugh:
um, no. Try 80:20 Olimar or something.

Olimar is the only character I have ever lost to on a 1 on 1. :( Him and battlefield are why I shy away from tournies. Hell, I even have problems with the lv 9 cpu Olimar. :urg:

asob4

Smash Champion
played me friends jiggs this morning
he idolizes meow lmao
he's also learned from meow and plays almost as good a jiggz as meow

he only killed me once :/
it was pretty bad
fresh purple usmash killed at like 80 something
uair ***** jiggz badddd

75-25 oli's favor imho

illinialex24

Smash Hero
played me friends jiggs this morning
he idolizes meow lmao
he's also learned from meow and plays almost as good a jiggz as meow

he only killed me once :/
it was pretty bad
fresh purple usmash killed at like 80 something
uair ***** jiggz badddd

75-25 oli's favor imho
He got hit by your Uair? That should not, should not happen.

asob4

Smash Champion
if you're not above us we'll fair you?
or maybe hit with the FRONT hitbox of our tremendous usmash which will then set up for uair's galore

plus surprise purple usmash ftw
hit him from like another olimar in front with purple pikmin

illinialex24

Smash Hero
if you're not above us we'll fair you?
or maybe hit with the FRONT hitbox of our tremendous usmash which will then set up for uair's galore

plus surprise purple usmash ftw
hit him from like another olimar in front with purple pikmin
See thats the thing with fair. We can beat you if your in the air and not below us. And with our DI, you should really stay out of the air if your playing a good Jigglypuff and stick to your **** on the ground.

asob4

Smash Champion
i'll play meow and get back to you on this, he didn't go to the last tourney D:

i think our attacks are faster, and i KNOW our yellow fairs have more range, they outrange MK's fair
:o!!

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
See thats the thing with fair. We can beat you if your in the air and not below us. And with our DI, you should really stay out of the air if your playing a good Jigglypuff and stick to your **** on the ground.
That really doesn't matter. Fair's sweet spot is too close to Jigglypuff for it to matter. We can outrange your killing fairs, which is what fair is used for. Unless you want to stale your killing move...

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Then how will she drill rest?
They aren't in the air if you're drill resting. And you don't ever drill rest very often.

i'll play meow and get back to you on this, he didn't go to the last tourney D:

i think our attacks are faster, and i KNOW our yellow fairs have more range, they outrange MK's fair
:o!!
1 thing MK doesn't have, insane DI. Jigglypuff speed and amazing spacing in the air. Olimar stands no chance if he tries to match her there and she isn't stupid.

That really doesn't matter. Fair's sweet spot is too close to Jigglypuff for it to matter. We can outrange your killing fairs, which is what fair is used for. Unless you want to stale your killing move...
You don't fair very often and if so you do a retreating one and sourspot it.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
you've played what good olimars?
First of all, you don't need to play good Olimars to know what hitboxes do what. Second, I know someone at my school who has a pretty good Olimar and unfortunately, past then, I've only played a few people on Wifi (most were pretty good, if you want names I'll give them). But Olimar doesn't have a very dangerous aerial game. To say its great is a gross exaggeration. Jigglypuff dominates him here. On the ground though, she gets her *** handed to her.

Edit: Let me ask you, besides that Jigglypuff who was obviously mediocre at best, who is good that you've played as Jigglypuff?

Veril

Frame Savant
Well based on all of this information I'm leaning towards 65 : 35.

Attempt at partial summary:

I think its about time to end this discussion.

Olimar is good in the air, Jiggs should never be above him. Jiggs can outspace him though, and doing this gives her at least a slight advantage. This is true in almost every matchup and certainly is here. The up-air is bad news but its not hard at all to avoid. Drill rest isn't how you'll be killing Olimar. Rest in general isn't too hot against him (tiny punk). You definitely have no reason to be above him, with both of you airborne, onstage. For that to happen you would have to fail at spacing, badly. In these theoretical discussions we assume that people won't do stupid crap like that.

On the ground Olimar is a carrot powered **** machine. Crazy grab game and a veritable wall of minions. And you have no choice but to approach else drown in an unending torrent of spam. This is pretty tough to do. I think it was thinkaman who said there was a good strategy for this but... eh... its a bad situation on the ground. Huge advantage to Olimar.

Once he's offstage he has to get back with his second jump or he'll die. Either an edgehog or the downward slanted f-tilt will do the trick. This also means that we don't even need to follow him off-stage if he's out of second jump recovery range. Just wait to f-tilt. Still, if we do have to follow him he can avoid a gimp and even punish us through smart use of that whistle bs.

Overall its a match of extremes. Onstage on the ground Olimar owns. Offstage he has to struggle to survive. Olimar has the tools to keep himself onstage and wrack up tons of damage at the same time. That's why the matchup can't be any better than 65 : 35.

A final note...
CP Japes if it isn't banned... you'll win if he doesn't change characters. Otherwise I'd go with Orpheon.

asob4

Smash Champion
i will play meow as soon as i possibly can

i know you guys praise him like some god or whatever >.> :p

illinialex24

Smash Hero
i hate wifi >.>
plus my wii is being used for rock band 2 right now lmao
Ok cool. Yeah I don't like it but with as few Jigglypuff mains as it is, its decent for repping something while you go to tourneys. I mainly use it for practice for some character matchups for matchups I can't play easily near me.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Oh lawd, I'm going to have to pick this apart. Sorry Veril. <3

Well based on all of this information I'm leaning towards 65 : 35.

Attempt at partial summary:

I think its about time to end this discussion.

Olimar is good in the air, Jiggs should never be above him. Jiggs can outspace him though, and doing this gives her at least a slight advantage. This is true in almost every matchup and certainly is here. The up-air is bad news but its not hard at all to avoid.
How does Jiggz out space Olimar, if his hitboxes are bigger than hers?

On the ground Olimar is a carrot powered **** machine. Crazy grab game and a veritable wall of minions. And you have no choice but to approach else drown in an unending torrent of spam. This is pretty tough to do. I think it was thinkaman who said there was a good strategy for this but... eh... its a bad situation on the ground. Huge advantage to Olimar.
**** straight.

Once he's offstage he has to get back with his second jump or he'll die.
No. Upb comes out VERY fast. If we're quick enough (Assuming we haven't whistled through your kill moves) we can probably tether the ledge before you can gimp us. Good Olimars try to keep a purple at the front of the line, so if you're grabbing the edge, we will throw the purple and knock you off the ledge, and tether. On top of ALL that, if you try to gimp us at high percentages, our upb will stage spike you to your death. Jigglypuff dies fast, remember that. Oh, and lol. If you're going to pull "Jiggz will never be above Olimar" then we can pull "Olimar will never be offstage because he stays in the center." Or, we can say "Olimar never dies because of his Whistle." Olimar ***** all theory. Like he ***** Jigglypuff

Either an edgehog or the downward slanted f-tilt will do the trick... Just wait to f-tilt.
I have a hard time believing this ftilt thing actually works. What happenes when you break the tether? Do we plummet? Does it spike us? Can we ub again? Videos are needed for this to be used in an argument. Even IF it's useful, you forget how quick upb can get back on the ledge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbeYk1RjoSM&feature=channel_page

Watch that. It will help you understand his **** recovery.

Overall its a match of extremes. Onstage on the ground Olimar owns. Offstage he has to struggle to survive. Olimar has the tools to keep himself onstage and wrack up tons of damage at the same time. That's why the matchup can't be any better than 65 : 35.

A final note...
CP Japes if it isn't banned... you'll win if he doesn't change characters. Otherwise I'd go with Orpheon.
Lol@both of those. Olimar does well on all neutrals. He can stay in the center of the stage. Usmash ***** you, dsmash ***** your waveland stuff, his grab ***** you anytime you're on stage (Which Jiggz never does), our upb will leave a mark, well spaced nairs (As well as utilts) work wonders against aerial characters.

We'll ban Orpheon. Japes doesn't **** Olimar as hard as you make it out to be. We can camp the hell out of you.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I'm gonna have to rip that post apart: ridiculous. Jigglypuff doesn't win, she ***** Olimar hard in the air. Like *****. Offstage, he almost never comes back if he can't get back with 2 jumps. His fast B-up means nothing if someone is holding the ledge. Sorry but no. And japes ***** Olimar. Played there too many times.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Have you, ever played a good Olimar? Did you listen to the purple pikmin > Edge guarding? Did you hear about upb killing you ALONG with Olimar if you try that on him at high percentages? I'm having my doubts many of you have played a good Olimar.

Jigglypuff does not **** Olimar hard in the air. Not that we're ever going to be in the air, but Olimar can out space you in the air due to his Pikmin hitboxes, especially his Yellows and Reds. We can fall MUCH faster than Jigglypuff, and **** you with uair, which "Shouldn't hit Jigglypuff"

SR-71

Smash Apprentice
i kinda agree.. even a lvl.9 cpu shows that olimar can **** jiggly in the air with them little red ****ers. only thing i can think to do is falling pound and hope the other player is drunk so mind games are easier.
and for butthole's sake, how does jigglypuff shake off the pikmin when they get thrown on her? they rack up like 90 damage

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Have you, ever played a good Olimar? Did you listen to the purple pikmin > Edge guarding? Did you hear about upb killing you ALONG with Olimar if you try that on him at high percentages? I'm having my doubts many of you have played a good Olimar.

Jigglypuff does not **** Olimar hard in the air. Not that we're ever going to be in the air, but Olimar can out space you in the air due to his Pikmin hitboxes, especially his Yellows and Reds. We can fall MUCH faster than Jigglypuff, and **** you with uair, which "Shouldn't hit Jigglypuff"
Yes I have. And you arent an idiot. Whenever he can't Pikmin back to the ledge your attacking him and you grab the ledge once he gets in range. He has no way to get back to the ledge if your smart, not the other way around.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Yes I have. And you arent an idiot. Whenever he can't Pikmin back to the ledge your attacking him and you grab the ledge once he gets in range. He has no way to get back to the ledge if your smart, not the other way around.
Idk why that matters. Olimar's either camp on one side of the stage or stay in the center and keep stage dominance.

Top Bottom