• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff Matchup #7: Olimar

Excellence

Smash Champion
Umm yeah you don't realize what ledge stalling is do you? You go below the stage, do a few rising pounds, wait a bit without using your 4th overall jump (leaving you 3 overall, enough to cross the stage) and then grab the ledge from below out of the way of any attack because of her ridiculous grab range. Before your invincibility expires, go back down and repeat.

And Japes is very good for Jigglypuff because the 1 long platform plays perfectly into her ledge pressure game and the edges allow her amazing kills. Very good stage for Jigglypuff and very good against Olimar.
Rising Pound used as a method of stall is always illegal. On Jungle Japes, I think you'll have to worry about the gator and its easy for Olimar to spam you as you float under the smaller platforms. Eventually, you'll have to come after him.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
thats what i thought son

and you still owe me $10 :mad:

so its settled: if youre ballsy enough to play jiggs against oli, ban corneria and lm
lol, you knew by mentioning my name i would come here, didn't ya, and fine, my jiggs vs your olim, oyu win, your get 10$ but no corneria or lm

RhedKing

Smash Journeyman
Well there is no manliness is ledge stalling, (partially since it's not manly,) but I'm still thinking jiggs has a good chance in this match up as long as you be a total falling pound *****. Pound beats his spam and his smashes right? since there are both pikmin induced, you'll be all set if you slowly kill off his pikmin, then if he tries to pluck some, you have a chance to grab him -> gimp.

I've played a decent olimar, and I got pwn'd first try, but second try I knew his game and just used him to beat the world record for "foot farthest up ***"

AKA it was a three stock.

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
Well there is no manliness is ledge stalling, (partially since it's not manly,) but I'm still thinking jiggs has a good chance in this match up as long as you be a total falling pound *****. Pound beats his spam and his smashes right? since there are both pikmin induced, you'll be all set if you slowly kill off his pikmin, then if he tries to pluck some, you have a chance to grab him -> gimp.

I've played a decent olimar, and I got pwn'd first try, but second try I knew his game and just used him to beat the world record for "foot farthest up ***"

AKA it was a three stock.
An Olimar getting three-stocked by a Jiggly doesn't sound very good. :x

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Rising Pound used as a method of stall is always illegal. On Jungle Japes, I think you'll have to worry about the gator and its easy for Olimar to spam you as you float under the smaller platforms. Eventually, you'll have to come after him.
Not in Brawl. It doesn't have the infinite stall thing anymore so it is completely legal. The issue is whether the tournament allows excessive ledge stalling. Some do, some don't.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Get an alt. You shouldn't win this matchup at all. You can only really approach with Dair, and since they know that, you will just get predicted and die. And he has the stupid wistle to prevent getting gimped. IMO, I just play My IC's in this matchup.....

75/25 or more in Olimar's favor.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Nah, your forgetting something. Planking. Seriously, this makes this matchup bearable if allowed. Lets discuss strategies with planking from both sides regardless of whether it is a gay strategy.

EWING

Smash Apprentice
School: Nashville, TN Home: Long Island, NY
meh, its more like i don't mind losing 10$ and i wanna see how bad this matchup is from jigglys side first hand
you should play someone whos selected olimar on the character screen more than once, because that's where im at right now.

anyway, i dont see why i should have to win a brawl game to get 10 bucks you basically took from me

Nah, your forgetting something. Planking. Seriously, this makes this matchup bearable if allowed. Lets discuss strategies with planking from both sides regardless of whether it is a gay strategy.
i think that assumes that jiggs can even get a % advantage on olimar, which in itself is near impossible.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
I'm not going to make an assumption on the exact match-up percent since I haven't played against Jiggs extensively, but as an Oli player I can say that a vs. Jiggs match is a pretty natural fight. I've played a few good Jiggs and they definitely have to try a bit harder than what seems reasonable.

That's just my experience.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
nah it just funny cuz its Peach
She's such a hoe. The only reason why we lose the matchup is because our Pikmin are unfaithful and fall for her hips, and that lets all of her attacks kill our pikmin. Olimar is too much of a gentleman to hit a woman, so we loose either way.:(

asob4

Smash Champion
She's such a hoe. The only reason why we lose the matchup is because our Pikmin are unfaithful and fall for her hips, and that lets all of her attacks kill our pikmin. Olimar is too much of a gentleman to hit a woman, so we loose either way.:(
nah, it's not that bad
peach isn't our worse, we have no worse anymore but shhhhh don't let anyone know

btw, me and edrees talked about this mtach up and agree peach 60/55 - 40/45 olimar

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
you should play someone whos selected olimar on the character screen more than once, because that's where im at right now.

anyway, i dont see why i should have to win a brawl game to get 10 bucks you basically took from me

i think that assumes that jiggs can even get a % advantage on olimar, which in itself is near impossible.
uh, actually, it was only 5$ and i told you i had no money for tourney cause i neesed mine for food, so you give it to me without saying you want payback

now: on topic: also, keep in mind if you di up and away then jump quick at same time olimar can't do any serious combos with grabs on jiggly

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
On the ground, Olimar has everything on jiggs. Quick tilts, smashes, and b-up to gimp jigg's aproach.

In the air over the stage, jiggs has roughly 50:50 on olimar. You have a better range there, but he still is hard to WoP.

In the air off the stage, Olimar is screwed. Jiggs has everything on him. He has a horrible recovery, and he has 2 jumps worth of recovery. If you are lucky, you may pikken chain the edge and get your frames before jiggs delivers the final b-air which will leave you out of range.

Ill call this a hard matchup, but there are times when jigglypuff has a huge advantage.

The rest of the time, Olimar has the upper hand. The only problem is getting him off the edge.

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
The rest of the time, Olimar has the upper hand. The only problem is getting him off the edge.
Which is a VERY big problem. The times where Jiggs is great against Oli rely on him being in the air or off the map, two scenarios very difficult to get out of a good Oli. That's where most of the difficulty in this matchup is, IMO.

EWING

Smash Apprentice
School: Nashville, TN Home: Long Island, NY
i played my first decent oli on wifi today, but he kept missing grabbing rollout because of lag, so it wasnt too legit on kills. anyway, waveland > spotdodge his grab > grab > uthrow worked wonders. if you can predict airdodges decently its not too bad in the air (uair is awesome v oli in the air), but its almost necessary to do at least 30% from the throw and what you do in the air after or he'll rack up so much damage on the ground. but i think you should have an advantage still, eventually he just decided to use SA off of down-b just so he could land. but this could be all wifi's doing.

anyway, any rly good olimar would destroy jiggs still, even with lag i couldnt hit him for **** on the ground

uh, actually, it was only 5$ and i told you i had no money for tourney cause i neesed mine for food, so you give it to me without saying you want payback

now: on topic: also, keep in mind if you di up and away then jump quick at same time olimar can't do any serious combos with grabs on jiggly
i mean i made so much over the summer that i wasnt expecting it back, because i didnt think youd actually remain active in smash offline with your stunts in that castle golf, lol. it was 10, but im really not caring about 10 bucks. its just a huge ***** move.

Veril

Frame Savant
Ill call this a hard matchup, but there are times when jigglypuff has a huge advantage.
There's a time, but that's the same time Olimar has a disadvantage against EVERYONE. I'm sure a good Olimar player will be experienced with this sort of situation. Yeah, we've got a tiny window in which we can and must KO Olimar.

That downward f-tilt trick with stopping tether recoveries seems pretty cool, does anyone have video of that. I haven't gone out of my way to explore it yet.

waveland > spotdodge his grab > grab > uthrow worked wonders. if you can predict airdodges decently its not too bad in the air (uair is awesome v oli in the air), but its almost necessary to do at least 30% from the throw and what you do in the air after
Woohoo... a tactic that seems reasonable. Good job, sir.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Yeah juggling Olimar is surprisingly easy because of your aerial priority.
Juggle "Combo":

Utilt>Utilt>SH>Uair>Uair>Uair........

The first two or three hits registers as a combo. The other Uairs are not, but they are hard to punish at such close range.

Veril

Frame Savant
So it seems that Olimar's f-smash, d-smash, up-smash and side special can all be beaten by ALL of our aerials. This is worth discussing.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
So it seems that Olimar's f-smash, d-smash, up-smash and side special can all be beaten by ALL of our aerials. This is worth discussing.
So? Olimar can attack faster than you can kill the Pikmin. Usmash is so quick, no aerial would be able to kill an usmash, then kill the next one. utilt will **** you guys anyways, so we could usmash -> utilt, since utilt comes out so fast and will out prioritize your aerials.

Fsmash and dsmash are so low to the ground I have no clue how you can call this an advantage, or even useful. I doubt Olimar will even use those moves very much, since Jiggz is supposed to be in the air.

This matchup is 65:35 at best. I'd call it 70:30 / 75:25 Oli's favor.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
When they are harnessing the power of rainbows with all their heart, drill them. The last half of the attack should make him flinch.

Counterpick a moving stage. It's hard for him to catch up with his bad recovery. (rainbow cruise ship ftw)

Noobicidal

Smash Master
When they are harnessing the power of rainbows with all their heart, drill them. The last half of the attack should make him flinch.

Counterpick a moving stage. It's hard for him to catch up with his bad recovery. (rainbow cruise ship ftw)
It's a shame Big Blue isn't a CP...

Top Bottom