• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Video Thread

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Does the date for the next Sumabato look like this?

二月 十一日? Then yeah that's the eleventh. Oh and no problem about the translations sorry about almost forgetting the first time around LOL

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Couple of new non-tourney videos on ssbbmania. Shige (MK) vs Kuroobi (Snake) and Earth (Sheik) vs Suinoko (Diddy).

:059:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Numaburamovie has uploaded videos of the last SRBT tourney [east of Japan] ... it took place at the exact same date as Sumabato 12 [whose results I don't have yet].

1. Rain - MK
2. Nietono - Oli
3. Mikeneko - Marth
4. Kuroobi - Snake

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Just because he got "only" 13th at Apex '12 doesn't mean he didn't do incredibly well. He lost to ES@M and D3HF ... that can happen to anyone. Apex was a LOT more stacked than this tournament or anything else.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
u can't make conclusions so easily. Rain seems like more of a player that tries to learn habits (kind of like Ally for some american players on east coast, and Seibrik does for Florida) so he does especially well in those regions, while other players have more all around styles that can handle <insert random situation> better, OR more "gimmicks" that people aren't used to, or some factor like novelty (unpopular characters often have a lot of these. Lower tiered characters will do worse in their region, but do really well out of state when people fall for all/most of their "tricks").

Something like that, you know what I mean though pretty much. I money matched rain at gen2 (falco then MK), won 2 stock 60/70 both games (he beat me many friendlies at apex, although i think i played poorly at apex), but from what Otori told me on facebook he thinks rain is better than he is based on Japan record (I do not know if it is true this is just what Otori told me in a facebook message). He said it goes 9b/Nietono and Rain for top 3 in his opinion. Based off performance in Japan compared to America, besides just being really good, he probably wins so much in Japan because he can learn them well.

Can't wait to watch the vids =)

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Some sumbato vids are in. Single elim, some bo1 some bo3, it's confusing.

Some pretty upsetting endings to say the least V__V

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
EARLY MORNING JOHNS I'M SORRY.

It's double elim.

After focusing for quite some time I read one the video titles again.

"12th Sumabato X Round 4 winner side (bracket)[ Nagahari (Diddy) vs Souther (Snake)"

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Rain's so good at this matchup, all the little things he's doing (that most people probably don't even see) are really impressive.

Here's an example, he goes for a jump Fair OVER Olimar instead of from below like most americans (Except Nairo) do, because if he misses (if nietono superarmors or air dodges through the Fair) he can go for a Dair, because of Olimar's slow falling speed (vs a character with higher falling speed, it's usually better to stay below to cover more options). The dair is a strong punish against olimar because of the angle it sends and olimar's bad recovery. Furthermore, it keeps safe from things like rainbow -> Nair, but leaves vulnerable to rainbow -> Uair, and can also be dodged by air dodge or rainbow to DRIFT away and then Fair (Something nietono does not do and few players do, but Azen used to always do dating back as far as 2008).

he also sits in shield knowing that the Olimar may either aerial his shield right away, or air dodge into an instant smash attack right away, and he also knows his roll habit

nietono seems like he has really good habits vs <insert random player>, which explains why he goes really well vs a wide variety of players, but bad vs the player that memorized him found and found counter strats against him (Rain).

very interesting overall, I'm taking notes (altho I won't really be playing any brawl until summer probably, and after taking notes I have to make these types of things a habit too but yeah this is good stuff to at least know about).

Naridax

Smash Journeyman
Charlottesville, VA (UVA) / Virginia Beach, VA
Just because he got "only" 13th at Apex '12 doesn't mean he didn't do incredibly well. He lost to ES@M and D3HF ... that can happen to anyone. Apex was a LOT more stacked than this tournament or anything else.

I did not know he lost to ESAM, but you are definitely right.

You make it seem 13th at APEX was a bad thing Nari LOL
I did not mean to sound like that at all! But after reading it over again, that really is how it came out.

u can't make conclusions so easily. Rain seems like more of a player that tries to learn habits (kind of like Ally for some american players on east coast, and Seibrik does for Florida) so he does especially well in those regions, while other players have more all around styles that can handle <insert random situation> better, OR more "gimmicks" that people aren't used to, or some factor like novelty (unpopular characters often have a lot of these. Lower tiered characters will do worse in their region, but do really well out of state when people fall for all/most of their "tricks").

Something like that, you know what I mean though pretty much. I money matched rain at gen2 (falco then MK), won 2 stock 60/70 both games (he beat me many friendlies at apex, although i think i played poorly at apex), but from what Otori told me on facebook he thinks rain is better than he is based on Japan record (I do not know if it is true this is just what Otori told me in a facebook message). He said it goes 9b/Nietono and Rain for top 3 in his opinion. Based off performance in Japan compared to America, besides just being really good, he probably wins so much in Japan because he can learn them well.

Can't wait to watch the vids =)
Yeah, I think I was too hasty, and your thoughts do help explain why RAIN does better against those he plays often.

By the way, did anyone catch the livestream of SRBT on Nico Nico Douga?

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Ok thx.
Btw. Rain beasted Nietono o.O
Never thought an MK could do SO well vs Nietono :o
That dtilt lock was impressive! (Never saw it happening outside of platform shield pressure)

E: New Youtube is really strange btw... I have westsmash subscribed since a year, it only shows "第12回スマバトX 敗者側3回戦 Lagnel(Ike) vs Tarai(G&W)" and "第12回スマバトX 敗者側8回戦 Saka^2(MK) vs Nagahari(Diddy)" to me, on front page, but not the others o.O

And the "click to see more" button also isnt there D:

Mew2King

King of the Mews
damn Rain's a genius

nietono did not seem like he played well (AT ALL), but Rain played super smart

edit - I don't think you guys are seeing all the little small things I am <_<; to me this is GENIUS play in terms of option covering and conditioning and risk/reward ratios for things. Also, it seems Rain reads Nietono's habits better than I've ever seen anyone read another's habits. Look at this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfSGFxXi1vs#t=3m32s
where Nietono does the Whistle then crosses up with a multihit fast move Nair. That covers MANY common options a normal MK that tried to chase him would do, including the most 2 common ones, instant up B or run up and try to down smash their landing lag by running under them like me/tyrant do. Someone like me or tyrant probably would have ran under, shielded a normal-hit attack, into release shield to down smash, to cover every option BUT cross up nair, but what he does both keeps him invincible for a while, and used a fast multihit move in a safe landing spot. Something like this covers a lot of common options top players would do, but Rain countered it by running past him and doing a Bair to counter his crossup Nair after whistle. Rain knows this dude REALLY well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfSGFxXi1vs#t=4m42s lol

very end of match was very impressive too, he did full jump Uair perfectly spaced (Nietono cold have hit him with a Fair if he predicted it but he whistled instead) then Dair, and the Dair hit his pivot whistle away (might have been a prediction, otherwise Nair would be safer, but he probably did Dair knowing he would do that)

clowsui

Smash Legend
pretty sure nietono was playing well, just rain is incredible

mikeneko is better than mike and ramin vs everyone except like...MK, where he's not as good as mike but is equal to ramin imo. mikeneko is too safe vs the character and doesn't have enough technology. i'm 90% sure that mikeneko's three or four major unforced errors vs nietono cost him

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
What has M1keH@ze done to be considered > Ramin in the MK match-up?

Also, Mikeneko doesn't do worse than the other Marth players vs Rain and I know he's taken a set off Otori at a past tourney sometime recently.

clowsui

Smash Legend
none accomplishments-wise, i just think mike's style is better vs MK based on footage. but super level up ramin from apex2012 is like maybe a hair under. he just dashes too much still (he's cut back a lot but still)

did rain play ramin or mike @apex? also otori is nowhere near as good as rain at this MU imo...

Mr-R

Smash Champion
pretty sure nietono was playing well, just rain is incredible

mikeneko is better than mike and ramin vs everyone except like...MK, where he's not as good as mike but is equal to ramin imo. mikeneko is too safe vs the character and doesn't have enough technology. i'm 90% sure that mikeneko's three or four major unforced errors vs nietono cost him
or mikeneko is better vs olimar than me and mike? even before he was placing this good he still beat brood.

and I did play rain since we had the same housing, i did really good vs him but they were friendlies, we didn't play a serious set or money match

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
So weird... Japan applying them USA rules, and USA applying them Japan rules XD (SKTAR for example)

And Europe stays Europe!

clowsui

Smash Legend
or mikeneko is better vs olimar than me and mike? even before he was placing this good he still beat brood.

and I did play rain since we had the same housing, i did really good vs him but they were friendlies, we didn't play a serious set or money match
i was looking at his other matches, esp v kuroobi and yui =p actually on second thought he's absolutely butt vs falco, you're a winner in that department (mike is about as bad as mikeneko)

i wanna see you vs rain in tourney!

i think you have the most potential out of all the marths out there still, i just think mikeneko's style is super good.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
i was looking at his other matches, esp v kuroobi and yui =p actually on second thought he's absolutely butt vs falco, you're a winner in that department (mike is about as bad as mikeneko)

i wanna see you vs rain in tourney!

i think you have the most potential out of all the marths out there still, i just think mikeneko's style is super good.
I noticed he approached nietono on the ground alot, by either closing in and shielding or dancing blade, and his edgeguards vs olimar were also solid he really knows how to deal with that annoying *** superarmor

clowsui

Smash Legend
why aren't you ever on AIM or MSN u bum

and yeah he just really worked a solid ground game w safe aerials, you know how to do that i think...

his edgeguards are really good because his reaction and positions are strong. once he notices that the opponent guessed wrong in a 50/50 he capitalizes super quick...even on the ground

Top Bottom