• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur Tactical Discussion

Aposl

Smash Ace
against snake with Ivy, you can bait forward tilt and grab and spot dodge neutral b, or powershield the tilt to neutral b, basically getting neutral b off on a snake is good. Also if you let go of neutral b mid instead of at top it usually causes snake to to an aerial to low to the ground and you can re - neutral b them, but usually it is best to back throw and change. Mainly because Ivysaur gets killed real early by fir type moves, A.K.A. snakes entire moveset...

but here are a few factoids, at low percent if snake does a dash attack cancelled up smash, you can do a neutral air through the up smash and punish snake. It is better to be reverse this though. Razor leaf stops the momentum of nades but keeps going,and can blow up the nade if he shield drops it. Also snakes lie to recover low, down tilt works against this better than you think, and you can mix it up with down air if he strts to try to recover so low down tilt wont hit. Also alot of snakes have a spot dodge habit because they dread getting grabbed, and love punishing dash grabs with spot dodge up tilt, so running up to snake and up smashing works alot more than you would think.

As for charizard, against snake at zero percent zard can gimp snake with one grab and one correct read. back throw, regrab forward throw off stage to either high recovery read or low recovery read.Also if the snake likes to recover high you jump at him, then land and just forward smash, it works kind of like kirby's forward smash. So sometimes if you are confident enough, start with zard, get an early gimp then switch to squirtle.

I like using Charizard's nair on Snake coming from high offstage.Best case scenario is that he wastes his 2nd jump and now has to UpB a little bit away from the stage.

Also, anything intresting about Ivysaur's vine whip you guys might want to add? I've been really liking the move lately.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Lol up-b stage spikes show the lack of attention some are paying and for others the lack of knowledge, but that does not take away from the fact that it is one of the most awesome ways to win a set LOL.

But to the point grounded up-b for Ivy is fantastic....especially levels with platforms because you can make it seem like your not pressuring an opponents landing yet still nail them with sweet spotted up-b.
Overall grounded up-b seems to be quite a nice tool for Ivy that no one really can expect, thats why i honestly make sure I limit the use of my up-b so that its never predictable and if I do use it the surpirse always seems to allow me to connect.

T-block

B2B TST
I think this move has more potential than just a surprise attack. I'm thinking of the Marth matchup here. up-b makes a very important zone for Marth less safe. Sure, if you leave it as a surprise attack you won't miss as much, but making Marth wary of that zone is worth the misses.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
The problem is missing against marth is usually a horrendous situation for Ivy figuring marth gimping Ivy is so simple with moves like f-air and n-air so I really play very cautiously against him.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Yea fair enough I just do not like the Ivy v. Marth matchup at all so I guess I dont like the idea of giving marth oppourtunities to gimp me no matter how small they be.

Lol but point taken.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
people can just hold up when they are on the ledge to avoid getting stage spiked by it...

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
My god, my spacing with grabbing now is ****ing amazing. Seriously, I get rage now from grabbing someone with the very edge of my grab range. Perfectly spaced grabs are awesome.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I wish it were possible for Ivysaur to grab someone out of the air. The height of the grab hitboxes are so disappointing.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Any character can grab opponents out of the air...

Reflex is just saying Ivysaur's grab doesn't land as high as it looks like it would.
Are you sure? I was under the impression that certain ones couldn't, most notably tethers, like Link.

I imagine Ivysaur -can- grab someone out of the air, but, the hitbubbles are so low to the ground that they basically have to be on the ground for it to work.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Reflex, you play Wario. What about Yoshi/ZSS infinite on him? =P
If you press Z in the air with Yoshi and ZSS, you won't tether.

That said, I just mean that this is disappointing--

Grab and pivot grab, in that order.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Wow reflex, that looks like olimar's grab. I would have expected zig zaging grab bubbles that follow along the vines as they go out. Thats how tether grabs work. Does that mean ivy doesn't have a tether grab then?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
that's right, ivy does not have a tether grab.

furthermore, ivy's grab range is very marginally longer than dedede's and twice as slow.

finally, ivy's grab is balls.

quirky PT ****...reminds me of the thing with charizard's dash that makes him stop behind where his dash puts him, so shield canceled grabs and such aren't as good as they should be...

also charizard and ivysaur don't have an extra grab bubble on their pivot grabs like most characters do...

Tesh

Smash Hero
ivysaur's traction just feels horrible when i try to shield grab. Despite having large grab range along with squirtle, they slide so far away before i can shieldgrab anything

I usually just shielddrop into a jab now

T-block

B2B TST
Why jab when you can d-tilt? ;D

Anyone have a traction list? I don't think Ivysaur has super low traction... I think you just feel that way because her grab is so slow.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Gotta say I have absolutly no clue who that is but if this is actually in regards to someone passing away, then I give my full condolences to family, friends, and the rest of the japanese smash community he effected.

If he just dropped our character then disreguard the comment above and let him know that PT ain't for the weak of heart!!

:phone:

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Obviously as a tribute I'm going to have to put together a set of hex packets to undub the voice.

Well, I would if I knew how to do that.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you land a N-Air spike on someone over the stage who incurs recovery carry-over lag when they land, you get a free U-Smash.

This is totally viable against Falco and his silly Phantasm. Could be useful against Marth, too.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Wow luis lemme make sure I understand this correctly, if you n-air spike some onstage who is recovering over the ledge while still having up-b landing lag.....you get a free u-smash?

Cause that's really ridiculously insane

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Wow luis lemme make sure I understand this correctly, if you n-air spike some onstage who is recovering over the ledge while still having up-b landing lag.....you get a free u-smash?

Cause that's really ridiculously insane

Yes, that is correct.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Wow so basically if we force up-b ledgegrabs with ivy, then we can punish with extreme prejudice if we harass their attempt to get on stage with on stage n-air spikes.

Very impressive find luis

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Lol dunno why you would need a video....it's really straight forward

As long as they up-b once to grab the edge they get landing lag on the next move of theirs that puts them onto the stage. So if lets say this happens to falco and he attempts to side-b onto the stage. If you use Ivysaur's n-air to hit falco out of his side-b with the portion of Ivy's n-air that has downward or spiking trajectory. The land lag the falco incurs from up-b lag vs. the lack of landing lag you have since Ivy's n-air autocancels leaves a window of oppourtunity apparently large enough to land the "26 frames of justice".

if you don't understand certain portions of that lemme know.....I can further explain it.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i suppose, if bair does hit falco out of it, but bair is harder to time + doesn't position them quite as well

Top Bottom