• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur Tactical Discussion

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I always wondered why B-Reversing Bullet Seed has always had a much higher success rate for me. I thought I was just lucky with it, so I never brought it to anyone's attention, for fear of spreading misinformation.

I'm looking at a frame repository, and it would seem that the opening hitbox for Bullet Seed generally tries to send people at about a 120-degree angle, which is to say, slightly behind Ivysaur. As such, DI'ing the initial hit is usually much more effective by holding toward Ivysaur.

However, if people are hardwired to that, B-Reversing or just doing it with your back turned will cause an opponent's usual DI to be less effective, which will make people get popped right into it. The initial hitbox is comparable on both sides, so it's not like you're missing out on range as a result.

So, you heard it from me--You're generally better off turning away when you Bullet Seed, and it'll work a lot more often that way.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
agreed, also what happens to me a lot is that I bullet seed to counter dask attacks which always results into the first hit flipping them over my ivysaur >.< so I guess I'm gonna try to get in b-reversal bullet seed more often.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Yea b-reversing bullet seed also seems to be a weak point for most players like you said luis.....they are so worried about DI'ing the hit in the first place that A LOT of times they are not expected b-reverses at all.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Sooo I'm fooling around a bit like I do on a daily basis and I've got two things that I'd like to share

First off, using bullet seed when you're coming down on a enemy seems to work for me several times, It appears the hitbox is big enough to use it succesfully and to fake a airdodge.

second, this might come across a bit useless but when I ran off and used tether you know the animation of ivysaur slowly falling under the stage hanging didn't go succesfully, instead she sorta "clipped" into the edge while the vine whip is slightly under the stage. If I didn't explain myself good enough, I made a screenshot so I could upload it if people are intrested.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Yea lets see it ingoro because something that was found a while ago is that sometimes if you tethered to the edge and it attempts to drop you down you kinda get stuck ontop of the tether point until the physics push you over it so you drop down like your supposed to.

The bullet seed idea I like a lot tho because essentially your creating a pillar of upward attack so if you fast fall into it I could deffinitly see this throwing opponents off and leaving you safe.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
I've tried to recreate it, and it's possible.
It's exactly like you mentioned above, you run off, you tether then di near the ledge, it becomes stuck and then the animation ivysaur does when she's hanging on a tether to long almost instantly appears.
I don't know yet how Ivysaur reacts when getting hit in this position.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You probably just fly out of the stage like it wasn't there. If teching is a possibilitiy, then this could potentially be useful.

Regardless, that happens to me from time to time, as I always tether straight up after a KO as Ivysaur.

Tesh

Smash Hero
What exactly causes the glitch that buffers a move when the next pokemon respawned? Its particiularly horrible with Ivysaur, because it makes you buffer an up b high in the air and u get punished hard.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
What exactly causes the glitch that buffers a move when the next pokemon respawned? Its particiularly horrible with Ivysaur, because it makes you buffer an up b high in the air and u get punished hard.
If I'm not mistaken, if you're pressing something whenever your Pokémon dies (not sure if it's the frame that you die or within the ten frames of your dying; it could be a regular buffer that carries over past a KO, maybe), the next Pokémon will do that input as soon as he can.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
No and no.

Ivysaur can't keep Snake out and can't deal with Snake up close either. Diddy just overwhelms Ivysaur.
I gotta say T-block I agree with these not being matchups that Ivy is winning in but at the same point I don't find Ivy to really have terrible matchups here.

Vs. Snake Ivy has a good amount of options to keep snake out. I posted it all in the snake discussion thread but I dont really find Ivy to have a horror matchup with snake you just gotta use your tools correctly.

Vs. Diddy is where i truely beg to diff I think Ivy's matchup with diddy should not be far from 45:55 to 40:60. Ivy can space diddy real well along with use bananas rather effectivlely. Its not like diddy struggles against Ivy, but rather Ivy can give diddy a real run for his money especially off the stage.

I dont wanna argue matchups I just dont really think Ivy gets wrecked in these matchups.

Killanator90

Smash Journeyman
I gotta say T-block I agree with these not being matchups that Ivy is winning in but at the same point I don't find Ivy to really have terrible matchups here.

Vs. Snake Ivy has a good amount of options to keep snake out. I posted it all in the snake discussion thread but I dont really find Ivy to have a horror matchup with snake you just gotta use your tools correctly.

Vs. Diddy is where i truely beg to diff I think Ivy's matchup with diddy should not be far from 45:55 to 40:60. Ivy can space diddy real well along with use bananas rather effectivlely. Its not like diddy struggles against Ivy, but rather Ivy can give diddy a real run for his money especially off the stage.

I dont wanna argue matchups I just dont really think Ivy gets wrecked in these matchups.
I was thinking the same thing. I dont do that bad with ivy against those to characters. Just have to have goood spacing.

Killanator90

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have any videos of there ivysaur in action. I need some help with mine i keep getting wrecked.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
i just need some help approaching and spacing with ivy
You're doing it wrong =P

We all need help approaching with Ivy... she can't approach very well at all. It's generally a better strategy to limit your opponent's space until they're essentially forced to approach you.
This resonates in your Snake match. You approach and you get punished. You don't approach and you get nades.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Yeah, but now when you die you're Squirtle.

When you die as Ivysaur, now you're Charizard.

Top Bottom