• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur Tactical Discussion

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I'm not 100% certain about this, but when you're fighting Luigi and he tries to do his jab > Up-B combo on Ivy, she can use Bullet Seed after the jab to knock Luigi up into the assult. Like I said, I'm not 100% certain about this, but after pulling it off 2 times in a row, I think this has some promise.

It also may not seem like a huge deal, but with my friend being a Luigi main, this would help A LOT to know if this would work.

That and with the fire knockback/damage = Instint death for Ivy.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
If I remember correctly, Bullet Seed has invincibility frames on start-up, and my gut instinct is to say that there is enough space between Luigi's jab to Fire Jump Punch to take advantage of it and break out. The only thing to be careful of is if he DIs out of that pop-up hit and doesn't fall into the bullet stream, which will probably result in some kind of punishment.

Kith

Smash Ace
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197976

Just thought I'd remind people. Most people will be VERY surprised when a short hopped bullet seed reaches them when a normal bullet seed will not. I've gotten lots of free damage this way, especially off of a ledge. Short hopping off of a ledge and bullet seeding onto a shielding opponent seems to work a lot. People are usually waiting to punish, so they won't be expecting to have to shield right away. And even if they do shield, you will land on top of them and, more often than not, one of the bullets will shield poke. I'm not saying to spam this, but I don't see it used very much, if at all. It's free damage at least once per set for me lol.

Kith

Smash Ace
I use bullet seed a lot.

And getting at least 30% for free is a good feeling.
Yeah, you just have to know when you're being predictable. My friend Tekk (Snake) realized that every time he jabbed, I'd mash B to try to bullet seed him. He just started single jab + walk alway + F-smashing me to teach me a lesson lol.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Whenever I get two Bullet Seeds in a short period of time, I always say, "Look at all the damage I earned!"

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Lol in the replay I put up I took about 50% punishment for looking for a bullet seed opportunity, but then I nailed it racked 30% on Yoshi them U-air'd him for the kill as he air dodged out.

<3 Bullet Seed

CoonTail

Smash Lord
That means you have to mix it up more Myo, great players always have good DI but good DI spans from quick reactions. The less they expect it the more likely they will miss the DI so try and mix in Bullet seed in a different manner.

Also use it to punish jumping from the ledge or recovering high since it doesn't leave people much room to escape figuring your already punishing them for the option they chose.

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
N-Air is awesome. It leads into combos, and spikes, what more could you want?

:phone:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Whenever I get two Bullet Seeds in a short period of time, I always say, "Look at all the damage I earned!"
i prefer to say something to the effect of "ohohoho my seed is all over you ohmygod all up in your crevices and such gaddamn you have just been impregnated watch and be amazed as babybulbasaurs sprout forth"

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Lol I like to just keep looking at the screen while making a hand gun gesture at my opponent even after bullet seed is over, just so they know the **** they endured.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I like playing PT from time to time and my favorite of the three is Ivysaur. When I watch videos of him and see most PT mains immediatly switch Ivysaur, it gets me discouraged and I sometimes think that nobody really plays Ivysaur. Are there any decent Ivysaur players out there or is he some what of a lost cause? (other than BS Nair and Uair)

CoonTail

Smash Lord
-He's Ivy unfortunately so in most cases your not approaching your camping, a lot of characters can overwhelm you due to bad aerial mobility and a lackluster moveset. Now it's not to say that Ivy is not fun or does not have moments to shine, it's just that he is blantantly the gimpy leg of this team.

If you wanna see some good Ivy stuff check out Reflex for sure or even some T-block because both are pretty large Ivysaur's themselves. Also never get discouraged because the main reason people switch off Ivy so much is for two main reason 1) He has a lot of bad matchups and plays keys roles in only some, so unless you know your Ivy is quality then your most likely not gonna leave your stock in his hands. 2. His ability to get gimped is very high and it goes back to #1, when players are scared or worried Ivy usually gets the boot, I am totally guilty of this.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
-He's Ivy unfortunately so in most cases your not approaching your camping, a lot of characters can overwhelm you due to bad aerial mobility and a lackluster moveset. Now it's not to say that Ivy is not fun or does not have moments to shine, it's just that he is blantantly the gimpy leg of this team.

If you wanna see some good Ivy stuff check out Reflex for sure or even some T-block because both are pretty large Ivysaur's themselves. Also never get discouraged because the main reason people switch off Ivy so much is for two main reason 1) He has a lot of bad matchups and plays keys roles in only some, so unless you know your Ivy is quality then your most likely not gonna leave your stock in his hands. 2. His ability to get gimped is very high and it goes back to #1, when players are scared or worried Ivy usually gets the boot, I am totally guilty of this.
I havent read on his match ups but i throw razor leafs for days so I think I'm playing him right.

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I for one love Ivysaur, I actually start out with her about 50% of the time in my matches due to me doing that on purpose a while back ago for training. I did that simply because if I didn't switch (took too much damage/lost a stock already) I would end up with my better Pokemon Squirtle. Now a days I don't care if I get gimped, I want to give Ivy her chance in the battle. She's not gonna get any better sitting in her Pokeball.

And speaking of starting out with a certain pokemon, does anybody else have a specific color for the pokemon they start out with? Mine are as followed below.
:ivysaur: = Green
:squirtle: = White
:charizard: = Blue

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
:ivysaurbrawl: = original
:squirtlebrawl: = original
:charizardbrawl: = original

for me.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I for one love Ivysaur, I actually start out with her about 50% of the time in my matches due to me doing that on purpose a while back ago for training. I did that simply because if I didn't switch (took too much damage/lost a stock already) I would end up with my better Pokemon Squirtle. Now a days I don't care if I get gimped, I want to give Ivy her chance in the battle. She's not gonna get any better sitting in her Pokeball.

And speaking of starting out with a certain pokemon, does anybody else have a specific color for the pokemon they start out with? Mine are as followed below.
:ivysaur: = Green
:squirtle: = White
:charizard: = Blue
For me I have textures which make me kinda ignore color because I have

:squirtle: = Wartortle
:ivysaur: = growlithe
:charizard: = Carnage or MechaCharizard

But in regular brawl another NY PT and I played a set for rights to the green PT because I only play as him since the trainer has read hair just like me LOL.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Wait. What?

(My bad with the double post. lol)

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I actually really want to get the voice clips of japanese Ivy into my Brawl. I should do that sometime.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The only great preference I have is Red Ivysaur. The color of the bulb is fantastic.

When people use somewhat-standard texture hacks, I like to use blue for Team Aqua.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Apparently, RAR N-Air pushes Ivysaur's attack hitboxes forward a significant amount (presumably because her butt has to go all the way to the other side). It's worth doing if you're running up to an opponent and using N-Air.

Also, if you can get the sixth (out of seven) hit of the N-Air to spike from a full-hop, it appears to combo into itself and into the initial hit of Bullet Seed.

I've heard people say that Bullet Seed's first hitbox is bigger when used in the air, I know that Bullet Seed is harder to DI out of when you face away from the opponent, and since you're already facing away from them to get the N-Air spike, you don't have to B-Reverse it or anything. Lots of things conveniently work together for this.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
N-Air and B-Air both come out on Frame 4, meaning that either aerial out of shield hits on Frame 9 (five frames of jump startup and three frames of N-Air/B-Air startup before the hitbox). That's only one frame longer than Olimar U-Smash, which is to say, it's pretty fast. Perhaps we should experiment more with these options for people pressuring our shield. Perhaps we should put our backs to the opponent more often as a result.

Top Bottom