• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"IT'S UP TIEM!" The Dayton, OH social, strategical, and sometimes empty thread

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Sounds good then!
I've had too many pickup teams where my partner doesn't know how to team recently (this weekend will probably be the same thing again actually). *Sigh* I miss teaming with you guys...

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
Well of the people who play at SCC, not only are we the two best (well, two of the top three - I'm not 100% certain I've overtaken Fizzle yet), but we're the only two who actually know how to team. Adams teamwork isn't up to par yet, and Fizzle is quite myopic. The Link main (whose name I should know by now >.>) isn't too bad team-wise, though. So when Scribble and I team it's really, really unlikely we'll lose to anyone there, even if Scribble pulls out his horrible, sucky Peach.

Its nice teaming with Scribble because I can work on team stuff which requires a good teammate. However at the same time its boring to have no chance of losing - no challenge. It's also gotta be frustrating for the other people. The solution is obvious: Kidnap other competent smashers and bring them to Dayton.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
yea everyone gets so mad when me and para team even if i go peach XD (NO PARA my peach DOESNT SUCK)
Mine does... Not sure when it happened, since it was nowhere near this bad when I left Dayton (then again, the same can be said of all those random characters I don't use in tourny now.)...

Hmmm... if you kidnap me, just make sure you bring me back by the next day! :laugh:

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
Ouch :( im hurt. I wish ther was a way that i could team with you guys and learn the fundamentals of teams. But you're right... You and scribble know enough to make an effective team. But i'm about to the point that i wont play against you guys lol. Idk, i just think that brendan is really the only suiteable partner for me. Also, team ur2sloo is pretty ownage. I'd like to play with fizzle more and maybe have some real tams going on.

But srzly...u need to teach me to teams... Get another brawl disc lol

Paradigm

Smash Ace
I'm happy to teach! Last time I tried you didn't seem to receptive to it. Iuno, maybe I misread you. Next time (Wednesday?) it'll be you and me teaming, and any time I notice anything notable I'll point it out. I don't see why you wouldn't have the potential to be a good team player - you just don't have the knowledge yet. Heck, since Scribble teams with Fromundaman and no one else in Dayton really plays Brawl teams I'm lacking a teammate - it'd be nice if you got good enough that we could team at tournies.

The first thing is you gotta pick a character to stick with, at least for when you team with me. Then we can work on strats based on that. Fox, Sonic, MK... pretty much anyone (except Captain Falcon -.-). Just pick one :D

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
One?!!?!? Oh cmon... At least seve....er....two. Only thing i remembr u tryin to teach was the airdodge baiting u-airs.... And i have trouble adjusting playstyle soo fast. But also.... Wednesday.... Uber awesome oranye thunda controller

Paradigm

Smash Ace
It was actually a while back. I was talking about how I was knowledgeable about smash team stuff and could teach you but you cut me off and said something along the lines of "apparently not" and then went on about how Melee stuff won't transfer. Or maybe I was just in a bad mood or something and read too much into what you read, I don't really remember. Doesn't really matter.

Just pick one person to start with until we have teammwork stuff down, then you can branch out. I just don't want it to start with me giving you what appears to be conflicting advice because your characters change. In some cases you'll be the person who gets KOs, in some your goal will just be to survive or set me up for KOs - it changes.

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
Tru. I just ate 4 steaks and a bow of ramen just a lil bit ago.... I feel like i could beat scribz's mk with falcon! YES

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
All you have to do to beat Scribz is give him some IRL Falcon PAWNCH!

Also, just a tip: I would suggest trying using Sonic in teams only after you're used to the basics of teaming (the most important of which is to always pay attention to what's going on with the other players, all of them, and try to 2v1 as much as possible.), because while he can make a great teammate, his role in teams seems to be somewhat unique. That being said, I've never really teamed with a Sonic, and all of ITT's teams (which I always end up playing somehow) seem to work, so maybe it's not as hard to pick up as it looks. *shrugs*

Fox could be good in teams, but in my experience, he is somewhat of a high maintenance teammate, though pretty much any 2v1 situation turns into a Usmash kill.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
Yeah, a lot of non-crazy-metroid-fans would be disappointed. No Kirby, no Mother3 for Americans, no new Zelda announcements...

But its okay life is amazing NEW METROID

It's been ~2 years since the last metroid, ~5 years since the last 2D metroid, and almost 7 years since the last *real* new canonical 2D actual Metroid, and ~15 years since the best game of all time

AND NOW A NEW ONE WOOOOOH

I really hope Sakamoto's directing this one, instead of just supervising like he did the primes...

Also if Nintendo revived Gunpei to work on this I won't complain.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
Gunpei's the guy behind Metroid and the Gameboy (and Virtual Boy...). He died in a car accident a few years after Super Metroid.

Its kinda hard to tell at this point much about the new metroid. The video they showed at E3 showed both first person stuff (boo) and third person (yay!). Team Ninja does a lot of non-gameplay video stuff in games, so its possible the first person stuff was just that. Or maybe I'm just being hopeful... but there WAS something that looked like third person gameplay.

Here, come to your own conclusion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzEKTcEf_Mo

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Looks like, and it would make sense for, it to be playable in both 1st and 3rd person, to please all their fans.
I just really, REALLY hope they got rid of that BS 'it's somewhere in the game' item hunt they've had in all of the Metroid Primes.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
Looks like, and it would make sense for, it to be playable in both 1st and 3rd person, to please all their fans.
I have a hard time seeing them pulling that off with quality gameplay in both modes. Something would have to give. In first-person you can only turn so quickly, where as in 3rd person you can turn around in just a hand full of frames (I think like 3 in SM?). In first-person enemies can be above, below, in front, behind and to the sides - which can't be done in 3rd person. If its FORCED switching, like you play some parts in one and some parts in another, it'll come off as cheesy/gimmicky.

I would much prefer the first person-ness is just in cutscenes, like the elevator sections fusion. Or even better, not at all.

If its essentially prime 4 I may still enjoy it, but I really really really want Metroid 5.

I just really, REALLY hope they got rid of that BS 'it's somewhere in the game' item hunt they've had in all of the Metroid Primes.
Most definitely. Even those who did accept Prime as Metroid didn't like those. It's lazy gameplay design.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I don't know. It definitely looked like gameplay targetting when they showed the 1st person, but at the same time they spent barely any time covering it. Either it IS cutscene, or I think it will have both modes, with emphasis on 3rd person and a ****ty 1st person mode to draw in Prime fans (Kind of like how they allowed wiimote w/o nunchucks controls on Brawl to entice casual gamers).

Paradigm

Smash Ace
LOL I was worried SONY wouldn't have a "Weakpoint for Massive Damage" this E3, but they just don't disappoint :D

Like 3 hours ago Nintendo showed off an archery demo with its improved-accuracy wiimote addon.

SONY just demoed an archery demo with a wiimote-ripoff.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Haha. Jeez, Microsoft and Nintendo are both jumping on the motion control bandwagon, huh? (Except Microsoft actually improved it.)

Paradigm

Smash Ace
Yeah, I have to give MS some credit - Natal looks quite impressive. Just expecting that such thing is feasible on such cheap hardware is creative and innovative, as much as I hate to admit it. SONY is just copying ):

With regards to what's REALLY important - the new 'troid - the speculation I've been reading seems to lean heavily to 2.5D third-person. I'm kinda hopeful. For those who are interested, here's some good analysis:

http://mdb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1947

Thankfully no fscking Phazon. Lots of details come off as Super Metroid-esque or with SM in mind, which is VERY promising. The art style is definitively SM, but 3D. Super Metroid Mother Brain blasting baby Metroid at 1:18! That always brought a tear to my eye. And since we see Adam alive, I expect this happens between SM and Fusion. Unless Adam was just a flashback - very possible - then it could be AFTER fusion. They show some stuff that could be the BSL. The debris at the beginning could easily be the BSL's remains and hence the bridge from M4 to M5 . Metroid 5 then?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Meanwhile... No Kirby, no Zelda, no Mario, no new DK Country (I've been waiting for a good new Donkey Kong game... 64 doesn't really count. It wasn't horrible, per say, just a worse version of Banjo Kazouie (or however you spell that.).). A new Yoshi's Story would have been cool too, but alas...

Paradigm

Smash Ace
Wasn't DK Country made by Rare? And wasn't Rare bought by MS? Also Kirby is Sakurai's baby, no? I don't think he officially works for Nintendo anymore. Brawl was a pseudo-third party job if I remember right. Nintendo still owns Kirby (and DK), but if they do make new Kirby or DKC it won't be the same. Keep in mind the Prime games were developed by a different team (Retro Studios) then the other Metroids (R&D1) - the same kinda thing would happen to Kirby and/or DKC.

Multiple new Marios were announced - not sure why you said "no Mario." NSMBW has potential (IMO NSMB is the best DS game), and Mario Galaxy 2 looks to be a worthwhile title. And the Mario game where they go INTO Bowser shows that the Nintendo employees still come up with ideas when high.

No previously-unannounced Zelda was announced, but Nintendo has been working on a DS Zelda for some time now which was mentioned.

You can be bummed about the lack of Kirby and DKC, and I didn't expect a fully-new Zelda but you can be understandably disappointed.... but the Marios are coming out the wazoo.

Metroid wasn't the *only* notable franchise to get a new game announced at E3 by Nintendo, it was just the best franchise (to get a new game announced or otherwise).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Wasn't DK Country made by Rare? And wasn't Rare bought by MS? Also Kirby is Sakurai's baby, no? I don't think he officially works for Nintendo anymore. Brawl was a pseudo-third party job if I remember right. Nintendo still owns Kirby (and DK), but if they do make new Kirby or DKC it won't be the same. Keep in mind the Prime games were developed by a different team (Retro Studios) then the other Metroids (R&D1) - the same kinda thing would happen to Kirby and/or DKC.

Multiple new Marios were announced - not sure why you said "no Mario." NSMBW has potential (IMO NSMB is the best DS game), and Mario Galaxy 2 looks to be a worthwhile title. And the Mario game where they go INTO Bowser shows that the Nintendo employees still come up with ideas when high.

No previously-unannounced Zelda was announced, but Nintendo has been working on a DS Zelda for some time now which was mentioned.

You can be bummed about the lack of Kirby and DKC, and I didn't expect a fully-new Zelda but you can be understandably disappointed.... but the Marios are coming out the wazoo.

Metroid wasn't the *only* notable franchise to get a new game announced at E3 by Nintendo, it was just the best franchise (to get a new game announced or otherwise).

Oops, my bad then. I can't honestly say that I've followed E3 closely, just heard about the things getting hype, and I knew there were no new DK or Kirby games (well, no new DK games worth mention. Not sure there are any anyway, but meh.), and hadn't heard about the others.

The new Mario games sound cool though!

And hey, maybe with the new Metroid going back to it's roots, maybe, just maybe, they'll do that with DK?
Also, it's true that it's no longer the same team for Kirby games, but the DS Kirby games have been good, or so I've heard (Didn't think Squeak Squad or Amazing Mirror would be good, so never tried them, but recently I've heard great things about both.), so maybe the Wii one that kind of disappeared a while back could resurface and be good? *shrugs*

Paradigm

Smash Ace
And hey, maybe with the new Metroid going back to it's roots, maybe, just maybe, they'll do that with DK?
I'm not really sure you can consider this going back to its roots. NONE of the video showed looks like actual 2D Metroid-style gameplay. Honestly it looks more like Ninja Gaiden or maybe God of War, 'spect the Ninja / GreekDude is in a Varia suit. The art style is a throw back, and it definately seems to be tied to the Metroid storyline, but at this point that's it. It's still possible, but there's little to no evidence. If anything, the evidence is pointing towards yet another new style/genre for Samus to play around in.

I enjoyed DKC, I'd like to see it's return. Maybe it'll be announced at next year's E3. Like Zelda.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Heh, I guess you can tell I didn't really play the original Metroid games for more than 10 minutes in a store...

Sounded like you were saying it was getting back to it's roots (with obvious gameplay changes, but still). My bad.

On a different note, you know what else I'd like to see make a return? Worms. Not like the last few ****ty Worms games they made, but more along the lines of Worms: Armageddon. Sure, that's not Nintendo, but it was an awesome game.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
Yeah Fro I can see how I gave you that opinion. It's just I'm a huge fan of the 2D Metroid stuff and Nintendo's been doing nothing but pissing all over it for years, so I got really excited at the even slight possibility that they're returning. While there is a lot of speculation that this is a return, the only evidence is the fact that the majority of video was not first person, like the last 4 "Metroid" games where. It's a depart from Prime. Just not sure where they're departing to.

Like Metroid, Worms took a trip to 3D for the worse. I'd definitely like to see the old one back. I had a lot of fun with 'geddon.

lol Beegs, I ALMOST had that opinion. Almost.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
Uhh I never had much of a chance to explain anything to you. I couldn't pause to point out specific situations, nor could I explain what to do in those situations before hand. You sat far away to anything I could explain I had to yell. And we only had a few games as a team anyways. All considering, though, I don't think we did all that terribly. You kicked my *** at foosball, though. Nicely done.

I'm backing out of any MM's or what not with Fizzle. I'm so out of practice at Melee right now I won't be able to put up a fight, and I don't think I'll be able to get much practice anytime soon.

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
If ANYONE is willing to come tomorrow, I'm up for a few hours of melee. I will supply the cube. I need to work on my G&W.

Top Bottom