• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"IT'S UP TIEM!" The Dayton, OH social, strategical, and sometimes empty thread

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
yea we hold two weeklies every week but since im free on tuesday/thursday/friday if those days were more convienient for you guys then ill gladly show up. maybe mm can make up for no tourney? lol and david i cant recall atm who that was....let me not be up for 10 min and i should possibly but maybe not kinda sorta remember XD

clowsui

Smash Legend
paradigm i'd **** in my pants if you played sheik

...and then i'd proceed to teach you how she works LOL

anyways skribble where'd you get dat cheap-azz controller? i want that!

the white one, i mean -- i'll still buy your dirt-cheap, 10$ controller off of you tho

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
the white one came from a website that I had to have translated for me as it was all japanese, but im sure you could find one on ebay or play-asia or something.

I wont have my wii tomorrow, my fiance has it atm ill have it back tuesday. so if anyone could bring a system that would be awesome.

clowsui

Smash Legend
the white one came from a website that I had to have translated for me as it was all japanese, but im sure you could find one on ebay or play-asia or something.

I wont have my wii tomorrow, my fiance has it atm ill have it back tuesday. so if anyone could bring a system that would be awesome.
May I have a link to this website?

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
I can't play Brawl Sheik. I hate how you have to double-tab "b" to toss a needle. It drives me nuts. It was a good guess, though. If it wasn't for that I probably would have given her a try at some point in time.

Uhh I'm going to be up super late for a variety of reasons meaning I'm going to be exhausted tomorrow. There's a good chance I may not have the energy to smash tomorrow (well, today now). If I do skip out I'll see ya'll Wednesday. If I don't expect me to smash far worse than you've ever seen me smash before.

wakka444

Smash Ace
same here my friend same here....i might show up to these randomly for some variety LOL
my next guess either mewtwo or roy
if not...uhhh idk falco fox wolf one of em if not your a liar <3

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Really Wakka? Not guessing Marth? (that's my guess.)

Speaking of Marth, you know how I said I was going to get wrecked when I faced a good Marth? Yeah... it finally happened (Clowsui, Asdioh's advice to you was good: Play more gay. Much more gay. Kirby can't touch campy Marth.)... Beegs tore me a new one, and I tried to make him go MK (his secondary) by picking a strange stage. Didn't work, so I had to use my new secondary, and, surprise, it came down really, really close (and Pictochat's not even that great for this char...).
Also, I now know how to deal with Gdubs.
*files G&W into the 'play patiently and kind of gay or go to new secondary' list.*

ARG! I want to play you guys again! This secondary needs practice!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
So... I now know who your new main is... and I'm kind if disappointed... If I explained why, it would give it away, but honestly speaking, I think that this character is going to hurt your chances more than anything unless you become close to godlike with it.

Last time I saw it, I won't sugarcoat it, it was bad, and while it wouldn't take much work to make it decent, decent in this case will not make it tourny worthy, and personally, I think that time and effort would be better spent on ZSS, SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU ARE ALREADY THE BEST zss player I've played, and all you can do is improve. With this character, you will also improve, that's for sure, but the amount you have to improve is greater.

Gah, I don't know how to properly explain this without giving away your character...

Paradigm

Smash Ace
I can definately understand that response... and I can't really justify my position without giving who it is away. I think my earlier post explains it as well as I can. The alternative is pretty much my quitting Brawl, honestly. I just don't enjoy playing this game, it's lacking sooooo much of what made me love Smash in the first place.

I can explain why I don't like ZSS. (1) she has no approach. Her whole game is basically just spacing the forward-b or chasing the opponent into the air. (2) She has no reliable up-close game. Her best option up close is to run away and try to respace the forward-b. This makes for very boring gameplay. (3) A good Metaknight can get through her forward-b. I honestly think Skribz could beat Snakeee. That matchup is so hopeless. (4) I really don't feel like there's a huge amount I can do to further improve. It's just being better about running away... which is boring. (5) I think my ROB is actually better than my ZSS. I just have other complaints about why I don't enjoy playing as ROB.

I don't mind having to work to get good with a character, so long as I don't mind playing that character. So far I really just didn't enjoy playing as anyone I've tried up until now. Brawl is just dumb ):

Starcraft2 can't come soon enough...

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I can definately understand that response... and I can't really justify my position without giving who it is away. I think my earlier post explains it as well as I can. The alternative is pretty much my quitting Brawl, honestly. I just don't enjoy playing this game, it's lacking sooooo much of what made me love Smash in the first place.

I can explain why I don't like ZSS. (1) she has no approach. Her whole game is basically just spacing the forward-b or chasing the opponent into the air. (2) She has no reliable up-close game. Her best option up close is to run away and try to respace the forward-b. This makes for very boring gameplay. (3) A good Metaknight can get through her forward-b. I honestly think Skribz could beat Snakeee. That matchup is so hopeless. (4) I really don't feel like there's a huge amount I can do to further improve. It's just being better about running away... which is boring. (5) I think my ROB is actually better than my ZSS. I just have other complaints about why I don't enjoy playing as ROB.

I don't mind having to work to get good with a character, so long as I don't mind playing that character. So far I really just didn't enjoy playing as anyone I've tried up until now. Brawl is just dumb ):

Starcraft2 can't come soon enough...
Oh, hehe, in that case, never mind. I was under the impression it was just because you weren't winning enough. Meh, I can understand that then. I originally switched to Kirby for similar reasons.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
IMO ZSS vs MK closer to 70/30 if the MK knows what to do. But yeah, it isn't because ZSS wasn't high tier enough so much as she and the other Samus are campy *****es that are no fun to play as. It's weird 'cuz I mained a relatively campy player in Melee but the whole game was so much more aggressive that I didn't mind.

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
idk i dont think its that bad at all its at most 60/40. I have to do some funny things to get around her, i feel its more you not playing the matchup right on top of me playing correctly

clowsui

Smash Legend
Really Wakka? Not guessing Marth? (that's my guess.)

Speaking of Marth, you know how I said I was going to get wrecked when I faced a good Marth? Yeah... it finally happened (Clowsui, Asdioh's advice to you was good: Play more gay. Much more gay. Kirby can't touch campy Marth.)... Beegs tore me a new one, and I tried to make him go MK (his secondary) by picking a strange stage. Didn't work, so I had to use my new secondary, and, surprise, it came down really, really close (and Pictochat's not even that great for this char...).
Also, I now know how to deal with Gdubs.
*files G&W into the 'play patiently and kind of gay or go to new secondary' list.*

ARG! I want to play you guys again! This secondary needs practice!
campy marth is not the way to go, actually

super aggro marth shuts down all options if played correctly

in kirby i might have to play a bit more campy but i think if i play with aggro mindset i will do MUCH better

campy marth is much easier but is less effective...i want to play a very effective marth...so i need to switch!

also tbh beegs isn't that good =_=~

Paradigm

Smash Ace
idk i dont think its that bad at all its at most 60/40. I have to do some funny things to get around her, i feel its more you not playing the matchup right on top of me playing correctly
I'm not playing it right 'cuz I don't have the patience for it, honestly. Even so... If on, say FD, ZSS is close enough to barely hit MK with the tip of the forward-b and MK dashes in as soon as he sees ZSS start the forward-b he will have time to powershield it then dashgrab ZSS. ZSS can't even get *that* close without being punished, assuming MK plays right. ZSS has no way to attack an MK who is on the ground. ZSS is supposed to 'bait' MK and try to mindgame a pivot grab or hope MK misses a shield or some such thing which assumes the MK is going to make a mistake. If on a stage like FD a MK is in the lead he really has no reason to even *move* unless it is to punish the ZSS for approaching.

The correct strategy for ZSS is to just dance around just out of range for either of them to attack hoping the other player just gets bored and runs into an over-b or neutral-b or downsmash. Not getting bored is not 'mindgames' in any enjoyable sense.

Either there is something huge I'm missing about this matchup (which I guess is possible) or most MK's out there just don't know how badly they can outmatch ZSS if they play right so they get baited.

I should point out, though, that the difficulty in this matchup is not my reason for switching mains. I don't think it's such a horrible matchup for, say, ROB - I would have stuck with him if it was about tiers and matchups. It's just camping is boring. If I'm going to enjoy Brawl I need a more aggressive character.

In Melee ZSS could have done stuff like running in range of MK then dashdancing back outwards to bait his attack then dashdancing back in, dashcanceling and dtilting to get MK into the air where she has the advantage. Or she could just crouchcancel MK's ftilt if that were his choice to attack. Or she could dash in and wavedash back to bait. Or she could just straight-up dash in and dash cancel a dtilt or utilt or any of a lot of things. Or there would be more hitlag so she could actually follow up her jabs so things like jab->dtilt would *work*. But no, in Brawl characters like ZSS just can't approach at all -.-

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
well...brawl+ is gaining more steam, and I will be holding tourneys for that when i get certian things situated.
And i know it isnt that matchup I was justifying my opinion on the zss/mk matchup. Its perfectly understandable that camping is boring. *ITS THE EXACT REASON WHY I SWITCHED FROM R.O.B.*
MK is awesome.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
No, I expect you and I view the ZSS vs MK matchup differently, although I don't think you've actually explained how you view it or exactly what I as a ZSS am supposed to do.

But yeah, MK definitely doesn't have nearly as much difficulty in getting around Brawl's anti-aggressive aspects as the majority of the cast. Marth can also approach too, as well as a number of other characters. It's just that the Samuses and Samus-esque characters can't approach... so I need a whole new character.

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
Well the only thing that holds marth back is meta, its like his only difficult matchup according to top marths. And no, i didnt really explain, i was just saying that there is reasons that i believe that matchup is what I believe it to be. I just dont feel like typing a wall of text especially when im in class XD

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
No, I expect you and I view the ZSS vs MK matchup differently, although I don't think you've actually explained how you view it or exactly what I as a ZSS am supposed to do.

But yeah, MK definitely doesn't have nearly as much difficulty in getting around Brawl's anti-aggressive aspects as the majority of the cast. Marth can also approach too, as well as a number of other characters. It's just that the Samuses and Samus-esque characters can't approach... so I need a whole new character.

OK OK!!! You sound like a depressed person going on about why he gave up on life. You can stick to tourney ROB until your new secondary(s) is ready to compete. Dayton still doesn't have a great ??? player, so by all means, go ahead.

edit: TOP 6 FUNNEST TO PLAY AS 1. Diddy Kong 2. Ganon 3. Wolf 3. Ike 5. Pikachu 6. Toon Link

Paradigm

Smash Ace
Giving up on life is different from giving up on Brawl in that there are alternatives. I do plan on getting back to OSU in the forseeable future where there are people who play Melee. There's also some new life being breathed back into some PC games with things like Quake Live. Columbus also has a good go scene, which would probably be the most satisfying hobby of any of the aforementioned ones for me. I don't want to give up on Brawl, but I'll carry on if that ends up being the case :D

Well I don't enjoy playing as ROB either >.>

But yeah I'm definitely going to use whoever I think I've got the best chance of winning with when at a tourney. If it's ROB it's ROB, f it's ZSS it's ZSS, etc. In Dayton friendlies though I'm going to catch up on getting my new main in shape so I don't have to play a campy character anymore.

I'm not sure our interpretations of fun necessarily correlate. I actually put quite a bit of thought before choosing who I am currently trying to main... I doubt you'll convince me otherwise. But I'll gladly hear your list anyways.

EDIT: I tried Ganon when the game first came out and didn't like him at all. Never cared for Ike. I made an effort to main Diddy and TL - ask Nope's crew about it, they tried to help me out with those attempts. Also tried pika for a bit, didn't like him. I don't like any of the space animals in Brawl. Glad you enjoy them, however.

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
Lol @ list, you hate pikachu fizz why would you even put him on there. but i do agree pika is fun. And anther proves that you dont have to camp you can be fairily aggresive and win. He never even tried to camp me or hardly anyone else except omni but everyone has to camp ics lol. IMO the most fun characters to play are
1.METAKNIGHT :angry: 2. wario 3. pika 4. ganon 5. marf 6. ice climbers (CG is too awesome)
the least fun are the campers like falco and rob (**** pew pew lasers)

alpha zealot says that the colombus smash scene is fairily nonexistant though

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
Alright allow me to explain my list then so you understand where the fun lies within these characters.=)
1. Diddy- "My fingers are moving so fast, I could swear I'm playing melee."-someone playing as diddy. He can wrack up damage so easily with his crazy banana combos and his side-b and up-b can lead to some great tactics
2. Ganon- He may not be that effective, but his crazy amount of power and ganonside are just too good.
3. Wolf- B-Air spam reminds me of puff+down B is soooo good.
3. Ike- We like Ike. We means the majority of smash players. His crazy power and the fact that he is SpikeFest 2009 are just great.
5. Pikachu- Very quick, has a few overpowered moves that are good for kills. Chainthrows are just unfair (the shiek of brawl???0_0)
6. Toon Link- Have you seen Quivo? nough said (without his existance Luigi would've gotten the 6 spot.)
I have the feeling you might have posted a reaction to my list before this post was finished. If so, prepare to edit :p

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
Is that your personal list? as ive never seen your ike, TL or ganon hardly.
Diddy is fun but his lack of KO power bothers me
wolf is too emo to be fun
ike is too much like ike (para would agree)
TL doesnt have milk :(

para i would suggest MK, marf, or pika
they'll all take work to get good though (obviously =p)

i know pika has alot of chaingrabs but they never last very long and you can through in some good mindgames with his throws in general

Paradigm

Smash Ace
Alright allow me to explain my list then so you understand where the fun lies within these characters.=)
1. Diddy- "My fingers are moving so fast, I could swear I'm playing melee."-someone playing as diddy. He can wrack up damage so easily with his crazy banana combos and his side-b and up-b can lead to some great tactics
I have the least reason not to like Diddy, but as I said I tried him and it didn't do it for me. I know - for Brawl - he's quite agile, especially with his banana trixies but I still feel like I can't move fluidly. This fact alone knocks out pretty much all of Brawl... it's just the way Brawl works. Also I generally prefer a character with a longer reach.

2. Ganon- He may not be that effective, but his crazy amount of power and ganonside are just too good.
Ganon's crazy strength was fun in Melee where he could also actually move thanks to the brilliance of Melee's whole setup. Ganon in Brawl just can't move. For me he's boring to play.

3. Wolf- B-Air spam reminds me of puff+down B is soooo good.
I didn't look into Wolf as much as some other characters, but like most characters I don't feel I can approach with him.

3. Ike- We like Ike. We means the majority of smash players. His crazy power and the fact that he is SpikeFest 2009 are just great.
Similar to Ganon. I feel like I'm wearing cement shoes.

5. Pikachu- Very quick, has a few overpowered moves that are good for kills. Chainthrows are just unfair (the shiek of brawl???0_0)
I don't enjoy chaingrabbing... it's boring on both ends. A large part of why I liked Melee's Samus is that no one could really chaingrab her. I played Shiek in Melee but for the most part I didn't chain grab. It's boring. Other then that he's like Diddy... awkward Brawl movement, short reach.

6. Toon Link- Have you seen Quivo? nough said (without his existance Luigi would've gotten the 6 spot.)
Not only have I seen Quivo and played with Quivo but I had Quivo sit down and teach me out to play TL back when I tried to main him. He just didn't cut it for me.

I'm content with only enjoying playing as the only character in Brawl I feel might be enjoyable, so long as that expectation holds true. Iuno, now that I'm semi-mainless in a limbo of sorts I may give characters like pika another try... but I'm pretty sure my current choice is the best chance for enjoying Brawl.

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
i still say marf mk or pika (reasons stated above)
i played random alot when i was looking for new mains, but idk if that works for most. Thats one way i was lead to mk in the first place
my brawl mains went like this:
marth, pit, lucas, rob, meta

Paradigm

Smash Ace
No, it's just Brawl isn't my kind of game. I like videogames where characters can *move*. Quake3, Melee, Starcraft, etc. It's just Dayton is lacking any sort of competitive scene in any game I do enjoy.

And yeah Skribzzz you seem to have a good grasp of my preferences... I'll likely try those characters Wednesday.

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
well you have similar prefreneces that I do.
I also say we rep the hell outta brawl+ since it is a far superior game.
Just like the new blog says vbrawl im leaving you for your hotter, smarter sister XD

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
Fine, I'll take you on in everything but quake BECAUSE I DONT PLAY QUAKE!!!! But my Brawl+ Falcon is raring to go and in SC, I'm prepared to Zerg you up good (unless you have any skillzizzizles in that game; in that case, expect a 9 pool rush).

wakka444

Smash Ace
digm i feel your pain, and i cant think of any new characters you can play bc...im prettty sure only mk can approach and youve expressed Huge distaste for all the other characters that can approach ummmmm
im giving up on this silly guessing....one more Metaknight???

i can completely understand u wanting to quit (i do all the time but springfields smash scene is just a blast and its too fun xD but im the only one left that plays melee bc psin is having success with oli in the competitive scene and lost interest in all melee, sils another whos losing melee interest bc hes better at brawl...idk everyone seems to be better at brawl than us haahhaah

I support brawl+ more or less, melee of course<33, go(granted i dont get it in the slightest), but brawl just keeps getting silly, ie chaingrabs, camping and metaknight=( no offense skibs xD

digm hit me up tho you know you love smash when you have da fields to play with!!

Top Bottom