• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's the friggin Koopa King....The tank that is Near Gold Bowser.

proteininja

Smash Journeyman
I feel that Bowser does well against floaty characters because when it comes to trading hits he always wins. It is heavy combo characters that hurt him because if they open him up they will rip out his insides and make turtle soup. His new physics have helped him with this. He has turned into a really viable character who is capable of taking a tourney with little to no counter picking.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
While Jigglypuff isn't really hindered by the SA, Bowser didn't get destroyed by her anyway. Play defensively and do retreating fairs to give her trouble. Bthrow kills her on the edge of a stage at about 100%.

Of course, Bowser is rest bait, which is why I try not to approach her.

I honestly think the heavier chars like DDD and Ganon are what will still give you problems.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
You guys would totally stop wasting your time with proteininja the moment you saw some of his matches. Woo-boy.

proteininja

Smash Journeyman
You guys would totally stop wasting your time with proteininja the moment you saw some of his matches. Woo-boy.
I posted those replays an eternity ago, but I'm sure you have always been good at this game. In addition to that they were against my roommate who is much better than me. No matter how good I get he still manages to make me look like a third grader.

Add Jiang to the list of D-bags.

I posted a list of some of my personal strategies that I try to work in every match a few pages back. Does anyone else want to share some things they find effective (ex: person X loves to crouch SA to down b)

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Jab to Side B, but you have to be in your opponent's face to use it. Jab to DownB works as well if you don't have a platform above you. I've been trying to play around with FF Nuetral Air. The results are actually pretty sexy.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I posted those replays an eternity ago, but I'm sure you have always been good at this game. In addition to that they were against my roommate who is much better than me. No matter how good I get he still manages to make me look like a third grader.
But... but... you just admitted to being bad!
We all know there is way dumber stuff said in the 6.0 thread. My point is difficult to back up with data or numbers(which apparently the only thing that matters to you) because the usefulness of this technique is completely based on the skill of its user.
obv

proteininja

Smash Journeyman
But... but... you just admitted to being bad!
If losing to someone who is better than you == being bad. Then you have the wrong mindset.

I was always afraid to try fastfalling neutral airs because of the landing lag. Does it only work without punishment on a certain type of character or is it pretty nice across the whole cast?

How many Bowsers here use claw hopping to increase mobility? I used to use it myself until I decided I would rather have a c-stick than a b-stick. I tried to reincorporate it recently doing it manually with side b to jump, but it just isnt coming. What are some of the techniques that you guys use to make claw hopping work?

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
Protein, I klawhop with Bowser all the time, and I just Side-B -> Jump (X for me). I don't need special controls besides tap jump off, which I just prefer. However, I have noticed that I, myself, need at least 50-60ish buffer before I can klawhop. I use 70 now, though I can probably go higher if I want.

And, honestly, I've never really tried approaching with FFed Nairs. I short hop flame cancel, reverse flame cancel, jab, RARed Bairs, Fairs, FFADs, etc. I mean, I use it sometime as a gtfo/low % combo move, but not an approach. I'll try it more and see what happens.

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
Bowser needs a higher buffer to claw hop properly, i prefer 70. And for those looking for bowser tricks, the best way to learn new stuff is just be creative. Think of stuff no one would expect, or read what your opponent is gonna do and take a chance and try to land a big hit. And most importantly, Up b.

proteininja

Smash Journeyman
Protein, I klawhop with Bowser all the time, and I just Side-B -> Jump (X for me). I don't need special controls besides tap jump off, which I just prefer. However, I have noticed that I, myself, need at least 50-60ish buffer before I can klawhop. I use 70 now, though I can probably go higher if I want.

And, honestly, I've never really tried approaching with FFed Nairs. I short hop flame cancel, reverse flame cancel, jab, RARed Bairs, Fairs, FFADs, etc. I mean, I use it sometime as a gtfo/low % combo move, but not an approach. I'll try it more and see what happens.
How do you play bowser without tap jump? You can't upb out of shield? Unless you have L set to jump or something.

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
I play without tap jump, and i still manage to get my up b out of shield just fine. I just don't care for tap jump as it occasionally screws up my uptilt attacks.

proteininja

Smash Journeyman
And here I thought you would've taken the hint from what what I bolded in that quote...

And just FYI, I'm half-kidding with this. But only half.
How about you GTFO of this thread. I'm not bothering you in the 6.0 thread or the fox thread. Go away.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
How do you play bowser without tap jump? You can't upb out of shield? Unless you have L set to jump or something.
I answer this ^^^, by doing vvv.

I play without tap jump, and i still manage to get my up b out of shield just fine. I just don't care for tap jump as it occasionally screws up my uptilt attacks.
^I do this, exactly the same, haha. :chuckle: I don't worry about Up-Bs out of shield, since they work fine.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i ff nairs but i find it risky if it is shielded i get punished, on the other hand if its not shielded it can lead to a free up-tilt.

does jab to down B really work? i am asking if its a true combo not if u can pull it off if the opponent does not try to shield it.

Also i tried nair for early gimps and its not really working for me i really don't see much of a point to using that move.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
Oh, wow. I've never even thought of this before until BadGuy did this in one of his videos. Bowser crouch SAing an opponent get up attack! That's amazingly useful, free grab, Down-B, Jab, etc. That's amazing! I can't wait to try doing that more often. <333 Bowser.

Also, I, personally, think that you Fsmash with Bowser too much, Badguy. It's a good way for Bowser to get beat up when it misses, but you gotta try sometimes, I guess.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
yea SA get up attacks is a very nice thing for bowser it greatly limits what the opponent can do. I figured out doing this was a good idea by accident i just happened to crouch when my friend did his get up attack then i side Bed him good stuff.

Hope what i wrote makes some sense but now i am going to sleep

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
Also, I, personally, think that you Fsmash with Bowser too much, Badguy. It's a good way for Bowser to get beat up when it misses, but you gotta try sometimes, I guess.
Well aware of that, but forward smash is just too powerful to not try to use. I take guesses at what my opponent is going to do, so i react and act accordingly, most of the time it results in a successful forward smash, depending on how easy it is to read my opponent's mind. Plus, Bowser is tough, and he can take any damage that my opponent decides to throw at him. I don't care if i get hit, bowser can come back easily. I should post a video of his gimping power sometime..

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, this match disgust me and makes me mad. Wario's bite leaves him open if he misses for a reasonable amount of time, KingKong should of anticipated that it was coming and bait it out then go for a big hit. KingKong doesn't make any attempt to change his strategy either, always rushing into the air after wario, where he is at his best. Bowser plays best when he is on the ground, and his reach easily outspaces wario's. If he slowed down and just spaced wario with some mind games, this would've been an easy match.

My guess is that KingKong was being pressured by the bite and wasn't thinking anymore. It should be the other way around, and bowser should be the one doing the intimidating.
I am disappointed.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I'm more upset at the fact that he was letting himself get tech chased by bite.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
Lol at the trash talk, all of you would get ***** by Ally's wario. It's easy to critic people by watching videos and you think you would do better but IRL it isn't the same. BTW KKong doesn't even play Brawl+, he has a lot of stuff to work on and will be way better soon enough.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
^i am sure my bowser would lose to ally's wario since my bowser is lacking (my rob on the other hand=to good :)) but from what i saw in those two videos kkong did suicide his first stock in both matches and that is a problem.

Tech chased was the least of his worries. Watch match 3, he gets gimped at embarrassingly low percentages from being put in bad positions and then Bite spam.

The Bowser there wasn't exactly horrible, but he really didn't know the match up at all.

Also, "An easy matchup"?

Ally is a top level Brawl player, and he's certainly no slouch in Brawl+.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
No, Wario ***** Bowser, KINGKONG is super smart and plays Brawl, thing is, After the bite, Bowser has too much hit stun lag that Wario can run back to him and bite him again if he DI up, if he dies away on the ground, I can tech chase him with a bite or nair. If he DI away off stage I can just fair him out of Bite or fart him. Bowser gets *****.

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
Until i play a wario who is as strong, if not stronger then yours, i can't really say anything other then speculation, personally, i think i could take you. Bite is a scary attack, but i also know it's forced cool down and terrible reach.

I'm not saying anything against you Ally, I'm impressed with your wario, but i'm upset with the bowser.

V-K

Smash Ace
I think a little more jabs and filt wouldn´t be too bad.
Although it really looked like Bowser was in hitstun non stop.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Explain to me what that Bowser should have done differently? Wario will outcamp Bowser all day, his air-camping game is still stupid good. So Bowser will have to try and play more of a rush down. Wario's Bite is a grab so it has that faux super armor and will trade hits meaning easy gimps. That being said, I'm sure KingKong could have done better but I'm telling you this is a bad matchup for Bowser. His weight and hitstun are perfect for Wario's combos.

Veril

Frame Savant
KKong doesn't even play Brawl+, he has a lot of stuff to work on and will be way better soon enough.
The Bowser Wario matchup is really bad, but all you really see of it in these matches is how good Wario's options are vs. Bowser out of a bite. I'm sure he's a good vBrawl player, but KingKong does things that show he isn't very familiar with B+ (like SDing with FF fairs in nearly every match). I would like to see more of him when he's actually learned the matchup and adjusted to +.

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
Explain to me what that Bowser should have done differently? Wario will outcamp Bowser all day, his air-camping game is still stupid good. So Bowser will have to try and play more of a rush down. Wario's Bite is a grab so it has that faux super armor and will trade hits meaning easy gimps. That being said, I'm sure KingKong could have done better but I'm telling you this is a bad matchup for Bowser. His weight and hitstun are perfect for Wario's combos.
It all comes to down baiting and mindgames. If i know my opponent favors a certain attack because he knows it will be effective, i use it against them, expect it and counter. This holds true for all characters in the game, not just wario. Every character in the game has a weakness that can be exploited, all it takes is a cool head and knowledge on the weakness. Keep this mentality with you when approached by counter picks like wario and victory is possible.

Veril

Frame Savant
He played the best he could no one has beaten me in the U.S really so far so don't blame him sir. :p
Orly

The fact that he was nervous (and I mean, I would be too) had a lot of impact on how he played. He SDed twice by FFing fair/airdodge offstage (during the first 30 seconds of the first and second match). That you were edgeguarding him effectively doesn't discount that this SDing with fast falls demonstates that he was unfamiliar with the game. Holy already stated that KingKong hasn't really played B+.
KKong doesn't even play Brawl+, he has a lot of stuff to work on and will be way better soon enough.
I wouldn't say this is the best Bowser can do in the matchup.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Point? Bowser gets *****, I even stopped doing some cheap **** because I felt bad for him, it could have been worst. Your game is and will never be balanced. Sorry =.=
*****es be trollin!

KKong is better than all of you.

Point? Bowser gets *****, I even stopped doing some cheap **** because I felt bad for him, it could have been worst. Your game is and will never be balanced. Sorry =.=
I'm curious what you mean by that. Meaning we'll never be able to make every character viable, or that the game is broken entirely?

Because it's sort of obvious that a game with 39 characters will have some terrible match ups and crappy characters.

Top Bottom