• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the gamecube controller generally considered the best?

shutdown56

Smash Rookie
I currently use Wiimote+nunchuck, and was wondering if a GC controller is much better for brawl.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
Most Melee vetrans would say it's the GCN controller, but any controller aside from the Wiimote by itself works just fine for Brawl. The GCN controller's analog stick seems more precise than the other controllers, but it usually doesn't matter. The Classic Controller works wonders for Lucas and his B-sticking shennigans.

Biinii

Smash Apprentice
Is the saying that the response time of the classic controller is like 1~2 frames slower than GC controller true? I heard some friends arguing about this.

I find it the finest controller for Brawl.

Mashour2

Smash Apprentice
I don't know much about the classic controllers, as I don't own one, but I find the gamecube controller very comfortable to use. I also find the gamecubes C-stick better than the wiimote+nunchucks wagging.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
no wireless input is generally negible. thats why even pro melee players were willing to use wavebirds.
Truth is. as long as u arent playing with a single wiimote, its fine. The advantages on each controller are so neglible that learning another controller is just a waste of time no matter which one you use(cept single wiimote)

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
GC controller has the c-stick, which is it's only real advantage, IMO. Wiichuck is fine though.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
The CC has a right analog stick that's the equivalent of the C-stick.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It's probably the easiest setup because a lot of people who played a Helluva lot of Melee have built it deep into their muscle memory.

Still, how many people can honestly say they've tried all three controllers and still say the GCC is the best?

It's all preference, choose whatever you feel is comfortable... except the Wiimote, using that puts you at a disadvantage. I would know.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
It's just a matter of what you're comfortable with. UltimateRAZER didn't play Melee, I don't think, so he didn't have reflexes already developed on the GCN controller, so he is able to **** with Wiichuck now. Don't bother changing if you're comfortable.

shutdown56

Smash Rookie
I really would want a GCC for the C stick, as I find the classic controller uncomfortable. But I might try out shake smash. Any info about it?

johe

Smash Apprentice
I really would want a GCC for the C stick, as I find the classic controller uncomfortable. But I might try out shake smash. Any info about it?
Shake smash is horribly horribly inaccurate.

Use the d-pad for smashes if you must use the wiichuck, but I'm suprised no one has mentioned double stick DI as a reason for using the GCN.

Denzi

Smash Master
Shake smash is horribly horribly inaccurate.

Use the d-pad for smashes if you must use the wiichuck, but I'm suprised no one has mentioned double stick DI as a reason for using the GCN.
Can't you do the same thing with the Classic controller?

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
i have a classic and a gc controller but the classic controller really helps me with smash di and with a little bit of controller setup fixing its perfect its basicly a tie between a gamecube and a classic controller

SSD

Smash Journeyman
Still, how many people can honestly say they've tried all three controllers and still say the GCC is the best?

I've played with all 3, and I don't think gamecube controller is the best.

Wiimote/nunchuck: I wish there was another face button on the main thing, because I have B as jump, z and l as shield/grab, a as attack, and D-pad as smashes. shake smash will sometimes activate when I don't want it to, which is annoying.

gamecube: it's the gamecube controller.

classic: it's the gamecube controller, except you have 1 more button and can use it to navigate the wii menu.

D

Deleted member

You control the controller.
You are the controller.
You are the best controller.
wut?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
SH'ing is insanely difficult with a wiimote+nunchuck. Wiimote alone has too few buttons.
Classic controller has too few buttons as well.

GC controller has more than enough buttons + SH'ing is very easy on it.

My opinion:
GC controller>Wiimote+Nunchuck>Classic controller>Wiimote (on its own).

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Now i suppose I am a Melee vet, but I am able to look at things quite objectively.

The GC controller is the best option. It, like the classic controller has a cstick, and it has a nice button layout for finger sliding (to perform fast inputs), making these two choices better than the wiimote+nunchuck/wiimote. However, the GC controller has one HUGE advantage over the classic controller if you ever plan to play at a tourney: Convenience. Since it boils down to preference between the GC controller and the CC, the GC controller is FAR more convenient. It's plug and play! The CC requires that you sync your wiimote to a wii before each match, and that you take the batteries out after each match. Sorta a hassle if you ask me, i'd rather just plug in my controller, and take it out when I'm done.

Just figured I'd contribute an aspect that no one had mentioned yet

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
gamecube is soo much better, after about 30 minutes i was already playing better than remote+nunchuck and if you play for hours on end like me you hands don't get tired from holding up the remote.

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
Wii Remote and Nunchuck has one solid advantage, your hand will always be on a button for every possible output as long as u set c to jump. Turn shake smash off its too annoying. Set the dpad to smashes and maybe have one of the dpad set to grab (personally I use the number 1 for grabbing and it works just fine, besides this is brawl just shieldgrab lol)

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Well.... technically it is, it all depends, if you played Melee then chances are you are probably more familiar with the GC controller, therefore you'll probably find it more appealing than the CC or Wiimote+Nunchuck, though if you started out with Brawl then chances are you got used to a Wiimote+Nunchuck before even trying out a GC.

As for the aspects of each i'd say you should definetly gowith a GC controller, IMO it's much easier to use and the button placement is much easier to access than the Wiimote, plus it beats having to swing you Wiimote all the time so yeah....

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
Well.... technically it is, it all depends, if played Melee then chances are you are probably more familiar with the GC controller, therefore you'll probably find it more appealing than the CC or Wiimote+Nunchuck, though if you started out with Brawl then chances are you got used to a Wiimote+Nunchuck before even trying out a GC.

As for the aspects of each i'd say you should definetly gowith a GC controller, IMO it's much easier to use and the button placement is much easier to access than the Wiimote, plus it beats having to swing you Wiimote all the time so yeah....
Pretty much nobody uses shake smash.

Scotu had a good point that I never thought of, though. It really is way more convenient...

And I have no knowledge about tourneys whatsoever, but isn't storing your names -> controls on the Wiimote way convenient too? How does that work when you have a GC controller?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Classic Controller all the way, the GameCube Controller is for losers that can't handle the Super Nintnedo Controller with joy sticks. XD

Yankee

Smash Apprentice
I use the classic controller to play. Its more of thing where i didn't own a cube but owned a ps2. The CC is laid out more similar to the playstation controller so I decided to use that instead because I had to buy a controller anyway.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Classic Controller all the way, the GameCube Controller is for losers that can't handle the Super Nintnedo Controller with joy sticks. XD
Yeah, but like scotu mentioned it's only good only at a casual level, at a tourney level... not really due to the sync thing everytime you switch from one Wii system to another, don't get me wrong though I love the CC controller it's awesome, but the GC just *****.

Neenja13

Smash Cadet
Just play with which ever one you like best, but personally I like the gcc the best.

§leepy God

Smash Master
That's because you play the CC competively that other people can't even do with the GC.... kind of like how I play the Wiimote and Nunchaku.

The reason why I don't like playing the GC is the simple answer, I don't like playing the same controler as the last gen system. That's just me.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
I find the Wiimote + Nunchuk more comfortable and easier to use than other controllers.

Wiimote by itself sucks. A lot.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
This is the best controller for Brawl: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-113-49-en-70-33za.html
It combines all benefits from CC & GC to 1 Controller.
But it's not tourney qualificated because of the auto-fire options.

The second best is the original CC. Why? Think of the Shoulder Buttons, they are way faster than the GC Shoulder buttons for this Game, because in Brawl you have to push the shoulder button right to the end to activate your shield or whatever, on CC the shoulder buttons way down is like 1/3 as much as the GC shoulder buttons. It's simply faster.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
that controller looks weird as balls.
i didn't know they made any hybrids like that.
(not tournament legal = not worth it to me)

Kais3000

Smash Cadet
From a money persepective, the cheapest is the wiichuck (as you get it with it) then GC controller and then the CC controller. Its as if Nintendo made the CC controller to get a lot of money from new Wii owners and not the Cube owners (who already have a GC controller that does the exact same thing). Weird huh?

MasterRaichu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EddieJ86
3DS FC
2337-4950-9512
I would say that from a gameplay standpoint, any of the 3 controllers are good. Because of the bluetooth technology in the wiimotes, there really isn't much of a delay in button pressing, so all are tournament worthy choices.

However, I just imported the official Nintendo white GameCube controller, with the 9-foot cord, from Japan. and I am in love with the cube again. :)

Top Bottom