• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the gamecube controller generally considered the best?

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
This is the best controller for Brawl: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-113-49-en-70-33za.html
It combines all benefits from CC & GC to 1 Controller.
But it's not tourney qualificated because of the auto-fire options.

The second best is the original CC. Why? Think of the Shoulder Buttons, they are way faster than the GC Shoulder buttons for this Game, because in Brawl you have to push the shoulder button right to the end to activate your shield or whatever, on CC the shoulder buttons way down is like 1/3 as much as the GC shoulder buttons. It's simply faster.
That looks like a Gamecube controller got hungry and ate a Classic controller.

THIS is the best controller for Brawl:

Gamerwolf

Smash Rookie
well the best controller is only based on opinion what ever works best for you is your personel best i use the wiimote/nuchuck

Riku00

Smash Ace
It's not really what one is "best" but more what one is preferred amongst most (except for single wiimote :p)
I find the Wiimote + Nunchuk more comfortable and easier to use than other controllers.

Wiimote by itself sucks. A lot.
LMAO @ single wiimote... too bad
Why are all of ya'll dissin the single Wii Mote? i bet the only reason why any of ya'll say that is because you just can't function properly with it. Even though the Wii Mote controller is lacking Cstick and it has a small delay on ↓ grapples it doesn't mean it sucks. Personally i would rather play with my single Wii mote over GC controller in brawl.
IF ANYONE WANTS TO PLAY ME AND MY (SINGLE Wii MOTE) LET ME KNOW

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i've tried it once... and i was laughing at how bad i did.
i'm just used to other means. mybad. haha

AranOcean

Smash Ace
NNID
AranOcean
3DS FC
1220-8584-3874
I personally don't mind using any of the controllers...except the Wiimote alone. I would definetly avoid using thw wiimote alone.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Classic Controller all the way, the GameCube Controller is for losers that can't handle the Super Nintnedo Controller with joy sticks. XD
GCC has a more ergonomic placement of the analog stick, the classic controller is designed to use the d-pad as it's primary directional input,

Why are all of ya'll dissin the single Wii Mote? i bet the only reason why any of ya'll say that is because you just can't function properly with it. Even though the Wii Mote controller is lacking Cstick and it has a small delay on ↓ grapples it doesn't mean it sucks. Personally i would rather play with my single Wii mote over GC controller in brawl.
IF ANYONE WANTS TO PLAY ME AND MY (SINGLE Wii MOTE) LET ME KNOW
Single Wiimote has 4 buttons to do more than 4 actions. you can't to uptilts without jumping/landing or otherwise holding up during some other action (meaning you have to plan uptilts in advance). no analog input means double tapping to dash. B button is awkwardly placed. There are so many disadvantages it's not even funny.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Most people are used to Melee and don't like the idea of changing controllers. Problem is, the shields are no longer pressure sensitive, meaning that the player has to press L or R down completely to activate it.

The Classic Controller's L and R buttons are less pressure sensitive, which makes it easier to activate shields, but the player can always set the shield command to the "x" button if he/she had to.

AAP

Smash Journeyman
Since I was a melee guy i personally use the GC controller, but since there is no light shield(or any use at all for the analog function in the shoulder buttons) i spring modded mine (which i'm quite sure is mostly tourney legal) which i like.

But i wouldn't be surprised if over time the Classic Controller gained popularity, more buttons to map, no useless analog in the shoulder buttons. I think the ergonomics of the GC controller is what people have a hard time giving up, it seems to fit into hands easier and the higher analog stick seems more natural but that could just be preference. Also i don't see how a classic controller would be any different than a GC one at tourney's, don't you just have to plug it into a wiimote? which would probably be already sync'd to the Wii since you're not starting brawl without one.

Ange

Smash Lord
I dont have problem with the L/R buttons when it comes to shielding, so Im perfectly fine with that.

My R button (the ones I use for like.. all games) is more tainted then my L button so it isnt that hard to push it down.
Actually it has never been. ;) You guys are just too weak.

Oh and thread, I personally tried the CC, but I didnt like how it.. felt when I played Smash, so I quickly changed to the GC controller. In Melee you use it, so I wanted to stay with the GC controller. I like it the best, but its all based on opinions.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
well the best controller is only based on opinion what ever works best for you is your personel best i use the wiimote/nuchuck
Agreed. It's all personal preference. If you like using a wiimote, don't switch because someone tells you it sucks for playing with

Dual Kirby

Smash Apprentice
depends on what your comfortable with i recommend either the classic or gc controllers ive tried playing with the nunchuck i thinks its a bit confusing somtimes

Stuart

Smash Rookie
I think the Gamecube controller is good to use because of the Z button for grabbing and the C stick is very good if your opponent is on a high % and you want him out of the ring, it saves you having to keep clicking the 2 buttons on the Wii remote.

MBreeto

Smash Ace

I love the infinity button. Nintendo needs to come out with a pillow controller where all you do is punch the **** out of it (I don't know how it works, it just does). It would be perfect for button mashers

shadowtroop

Smash Ace
Most people are used to Melee and don't like the idea of changing controllers. Problem is, the shields are no longer pressure sensitive, meaning that the player has to press L or R down completely to activate it.

The Classic Controller's L and R buttons are less pressure sensitive, which makes it easier to activate shields, but the player can always set the shield command to the "x" button if he/she had to.

I opened up a CC. Turns out there is no pressure sensitivity, it's like a button.

AAP

Smash Journeyman
Yea the pressure sensitivty or analog portion of the GC controllers doesn't seem to be used in wii games that are compatible with GC remotes. Well at least not in brawl or MKwii, so why have a button that moves over a 1/4" (~6mm) when i could have it do the same thing in a 1/16" (~1.5mm). If you've ever pumped through more than 1 gold mushroom in MKwii, you'd appreciate a spring modded GC controller.

Some third party should make a classic controller with a stick configuration similar to the GC controller, i'd be all over that. Yes i have seen the hori CC monstrousity, and its close but its looks like the thing could fly a plane, simple is nice.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
here's my answer to the thread question. Whatever you are comfortable with.

anyway, the one thing I like about the gc is the analog stick. It's got those little things on the top of it which makes the stick oh so sexy.

Buttons are nice too.

*looks at second sentence of second paragraph*

man I should so sig that...

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I like the GCN controller the most. Of the two Double Stick DI controllers, it's the one that fits the contours of my hand.

And that's just plain comfortable.

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Is the saying that the response time of the classic controller is like 1~2 frames slower than GC controller true? I heard some friends arguing about this.
Its not true, no. I use the Classic, my brother uses the Gamecube. I like the setup of the classic better, though no controller is optimal - seriously, why is the Z-button where it is? Worst button placement ever.

Still, how many people can honestly say they've tried all three controllers and still say the GCC is the best?
I played tons of Melee back in the day and after about two days of readjustment I have to say I prefer the Classic Controller greatly. Its easier to reach all the buttons and it feels shorter from the X to the stick of the CC, though I haven't measured it physically to tell if it actually is.

Classic controller has too few buttons as well.
Signs you've never even used a Classic Controller: You say this.

How many buttons does the classic have? One MORE than the Gamecube contoller.

QED your opinion is without value.

GCC has a more ergonomic placement of the analog stick, the classic controller is designed to use the d-pad as it's primary directional input,
I've played about 30 hours of brawl in the last three days... obviously its not so bad as to give me thumbaches.

Basically, don't change controllers if you don't want to. It may be worth it eventually, but there's no clearly "best" controller.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Some third party should make a classic controller with a stick configuration similar to the GC controller, i'd be all over that. Yes i have seen the hori CC monstrousity, and its close but its looks like the thing could fly a plane, simple is nice.
Well i have 4 GC controllers + 3 Wavebird GC controllers, 1 Classic Controller and 1 Hori Classic Controller. The Hori CC is really the perfect Smash Bros. Controller, it has all benefits, it has these grip rings on the analogstick just like the gc sticks, the size of the controller is exactly the same as a wavebird controller, it has on both sides digital shoulder buttons for instant shielding, the action buttons make instant aerials and autocancel way easier, the c-stick is perfect. and the homebutton is just so sexy. Heck, the only flaw is that it has auto-fire function so you can't use it in tourneys.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Use the Gamecube Controller.

They are comfortable, and us Melee veterans have the controller configurations enabled and memorized, so it comes naturally to us.

I have tried the Wiimote+Nuchunk, and it's complete garbage.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Use the Gamecube Controller.

They are comfortable, and us Melee veterans have the controller configurations enabled and memorized, so it comes naturally to us.

I have tried the Wiimote+Nuchunk, and it's complete garbage.
Did you try Classic Controler? It has more buttons for button combnaition's than the Gamcube Controller, the only John that I hear is that, "It's too much work the connect it to the Wii, to another Wii" (Answer: ask the person your Brawling to go to option's, then press start or plus if you using Wii contoler, but what are the odds of finding one person in a tourney that has that? 1/20 that's how. Then you press one and two to connect with the person's Wii, you don't have to go to home or sync in your Wiimote, you just go to option's, press start or +, then press 1 & 2, then your in, also you get to have your own contorl's saved in the Wiimote, that's an advantage for those who play with changed contorls, if your foe is also using a Wiimote and need to connect to the Wii, have at least one Gamecube contoler and go to option's and connect to the Wii). Or "It dosen't have that same grip like the Gamecube Controler" (Answer: You can buy a grip for the Classic, it's not that much maybe like $9 or less. You mostly wouldn't need it if your use to the SNES contorls). Well the only advantge the Gamecube controler got over the Classic is that the Control sticks are easily in place so it's easy to use the Gamecube controler while Classic you have to get use to it, it took me at least three day's of practice to play the Classic Controler fully and competively, Classic advantage over Gamecube there are more control, and the top button's are easier to press.

Julz

Smash Apprentice
My opinion is that they all have their unique advantages and some disadvantages.

If you want to use a default scheme then use the gamecube controller. Fastest setup.

If you want your own configuration, use the classic controller to save your configuration on the wiimote. Wavebouncing and Auto RAR come to mind.

The wiimote+nunchuck is for when you wish to have tap jump off and still have an easy way to jump cancel your shield. It also provides two easier methods for performing the DACUS (Dash Attack Cancelled Up Smash). It has a better button placement because each finger has one core button to press. Making multiple button inputs easier. But it suffers from high learning curve and a bad default scheme.

Wiimote(alone) mainly has disadvantages. It uses a Dpad for moving which means it's impossible to uptilt without having pushed the up button previously. Higher learning curve for dashing (double tap). The one advantage which is negated by it's difficulty would be it's 1+2 button combo. The wiimote alone doesn't have a control stick making it extremely hard to perform AT's. The classic has 2 sticks, the gamecube has 2 sticks and even the wiimote+nunchuck has shakesmash, smash pad and one stick.

Edit: For some reason Wiimote+nunchuck reminds me of the N64 controller. Though the B and C buttons are different.

Nintendood

Smash Cadet
the fact is, if the developers had left out the gc controller, everyone would be using the wiimote+nunchuck. so, in all reality, none of them are really the best. the reason most people use the gc controller is because that's what was used in melee, and most competitive players didn't want to make the transition.

tsu-money

Smash Cadet
Like some people in this thread has said, you need to try out the other possible controller setups to see which one you feel most comfortable with. I personally use the GC controller since I love the way it's set up.

willgums

Smash Rookie
Try using gamecube for like a month and if it still doesnt work for you then just go back to wii mote, whatever is comfortable. Thats why they made 4 options.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

I think that controller equals a big time overkill. Besides it would be close to impossible to wire it properly, and it wouldn't feel comfortable on your hands.

Top Bottom